Photo

Zephyr Is 6 Months Old Today...and In The Cone Of Shame.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MeganC

MeganC

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

Happy half bday to Zephyr and his littermates! Hope they are all doing well. I haven't seen any of them on the forum that I'm aware of (Jay Silverheels xx Ice Blue- b. Aug 28th).

Not the best day for the little guy though. He cut himself on a piece of metal yesterday and skinned himself right below his ankle on his back foot. What a trooper though. He didn't cry or get protective of his injury, like he knew I was just trying to help. He lost a fair amount of blood at the house, but it stopped up pretty well on the short drive to the vet. He had to be put to sleep so they could clean/clip/stitch the wound, but bounced back in record time. Unfortunately he has to be housebound for a while...again. Poor Zeph can't catch a break!

He is trying to get used to the cone, but is bumping into pretty much everything and having trouble chewing on bones as he can't reach his paws past the cone to help him grip things. Here are a few pictures of the injury (A little graphic!).

20140227_153211.jpg 20140227_221622.jpg 20140227_221519.jpg

#2 Carolyn

Carolyn

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Interests:Getting used to retirement...looking at the world a whole new way...

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

awww...poor guy. What a way to celebrate a birthday  :(

"When Man waked up he said, 'What is Wild Dog doing here?' and the Woman said, 'His name is not Wild Dog any more, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always.' "  Rudyard Kipling (The Jungle Book) 

#3 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2351 posts
  • Interests:Wishing you Joy, Blessings and Wisdom

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:25 AM

Awch. Poor little guy.

Some time ago I read that iodine is good for minimizing scar tissue. Cake loves the thin sea weed that is used to make sushi rolls so I have been giving her strips every day for her Spay and recovery.

#4 oocahtah

oocahtah

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

poor little guy get better soon,i had to put one on mooka when i had him fixed and the little bugger figured out how to maneuver his body so he could get to his stitches and i had the biggest one i could get 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0187.jpg

Edited by oocahtah, 01 March 2014 - 08:57 AM.

#5 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7847 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

Tricky little guy.

One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#6 MeganC

MeganC

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

Sherab, I may give the seaweed a shot. He would probably love it and reduce the chances of him having a huge lump of scar tissue right under the skin. Oocahtah, that is one flexible puppy! I saw on here somewhere someone using a 'carpet collar', perhaps you'd have better luck with that next time (hopefully, there is no need though)? Zephyr's cone is pretty big, maybe 10 inches or so. He can't reach past it with his paws, but it is not doing great standing up to his attempts to destroy it. He keeps getting a hold of the overlapping part and chewing/ tugging on it. The little plastic tabs that keep it together are not going to cut it. Here is the link for the carpet collar, thanks to Starghoti. I may have to try this too so I don't keep getting hit in the back of the knee with a sharp plastic edge. :) http://www.iidoba.or...+carpet +collar

#7 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:46 AM

Poor Zeph..give him a scritch from his Auntie Star. (glad you found the carpet collar- I was just going to hunt it down for you.. lol) Something I learned from Greyhound rescue folks is a simple skin salve that seems to work really well. Reduces scaring and helps hair regrowth. Raw honey and carrot pulp. I keep a small jar of raw honey in our kitchen for many uses.. and just take a knife and hold it edge-to-carrot and scrape back/forth gently. I mix applications as needed. Scrape carrot, wipe onto palm, dab honey with fingertip, mix, apply. Unlike neosporin or the like- it doesn't kill skin tissue, and if they lick it off, it has no ill effect (and even works from the inside, to a small degree- lol)
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#8 Gib

Gib

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, snorkeling, grandchildren, dogs, community, computers and ....

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:39 AM

poor little guy get better soon,i had to put one on mooka when i had him fixed and the little bugger figured out how to maneuver his body so he could get to his stitches and i had the biggest one i could get 

Likewise, Draco & Wicca.  They also both learned how to use the edge of the cone to scratch their itches.  

So, we switched to the carpet collar and near constant close scrutiny.

Good luck.... post pictures....

As they say, "This too shall pass...."

~~~~ 

And, Star, the honey/carrot poultice sounds great.... Using local honey would also be likely excellent for other issues, too, right?

Isn't eating honey (specifically local honey) recommended for allergies, hay fever, etc., building immunities and strengthening the immune system?  

Good idea....

For Now,

Gib Curry

ф

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

#9 Carolyn

Carolyn

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Interests:Getting used to retirement...looking at the world a whole new way...

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

Gee, I guess I was really fortunate. Ayita came home wearing a giant clear plastic collar and we left it on the first night. Dog and collar fit into her crate with a little maneuvering. We took it off the next morning to see what she'd do. She showed very little interest in the incision, so we left it off. She held her head still when I put the collar back on each night. We had eyes on her at all times and kept her as distracted as possible.

Wondered about having something natural on hand for scrapes and scratches and incisions. Made note of the honey & carrot pulp--everything you need to know will be revealed to you... ;)

"When Man waked up he said, 'What is Wild Dog doing here?' and the Woman said, 'His name is not Wild Dog any more, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always.' "  Rudyard Kipling (The Jungle Book) 

#10 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2351 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

Honey gets all over everything but it's easy to clean up. If it can go under a dressing that is helpful.

Honey is a food of the gods and raw honey is the queen of the food of the gods. I love to pick up local honey when we travel. The flavors are so different and so complex. I swear you can taste the limestone hills in the Texas wild flower honey.

Yes Gib raw honey is recommended for people with hay fever. I take some in my tea or coffee every day. I can't say if it does anything for me, but some people (probably with milder allergies) swear by it. I like the flavor complexity and the lower glycemic index compared to sugar.

I was just reading about Manuka honey yesterday off a comment thread around a fellow that got a scratch on his hand and died 6 days later of a bacterial infection. I thought it was interesting that they mentioned the sugar- crystal structure as providing a beneficial direction for osmotic pressure- pulling the fluids out into the honey. PS the guy didn't use honey or iodine from what I can tell. Someone was just saying that they don't take "Snows of Kilimanjaro" chances.

This site had a lot of fun stuff. I liked the part about the enzymatic action. Seems the stuff works on a few different levels. http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/ I am sure that as they say here, there are probably other local raw honeys with amazing properties that are not as studied as Manuka. I once read a book about the man eating tigers of the Sunderbands. Deep in the mangrove swamp forest, ferocious bees make a famed honey that is said to be prized for its medicinal properties. People risk their lives to harvest it. It is said that the only cure for the sting of the Sunderbands bee is it's own honey.

http://looksbanglade...-sundarban.html

http://projecttiger.nic.in/index.asp

Edited by Sherab, 02 March 2014 - 10:45 AM.

#11 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

Hey Sherab- did I mention I make Mead? :) New batch fermenting along nicely as I type. Traditionally I bring a few bottles to the Gathering for sharing.
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#12 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2351 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

Awesome Star! Some day when we have more time (ie retirement) I can see us making that trek with the trailer and pups in tow.

I did try the face mask and it did wonders for my wind burnt face but I also forgot and got it all over my keys and hair and other stuff.

#13 wakamamapapa

wakamamapapa

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

Star's mead is some of the best I've ever had the pleasure of tasting! …as if we needed any further prodding to attend the gathering. ;)

#14 Chinatola

Chinatola

Liliko'i & Kekona's Padre

• 1174 posts
  • Interests:Multiple business owner, father of two grown children, guitarist, amateur astronomer & husband of 30 years to my wonderful Julie Ann. Oh yeah...absolutely nuts about dogs!!

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

The stuff we learn about here on the boards....amazing! A Flagon of Mead for our friends ......

That reminds me of a story from my youth.  My Dad is a big Gaelophile (He's half Irish. The other half is German.  He'd like to conquer the world but he'd rather have a whiskey!) and as such planned a trip to Ireland in 1977 with the whole family in tow (less my sister who chose to stay with boyfriend).  Well, it was a 17 day trip on a bus with 47 other people and I have to say, even though it was a bus trip and I'm not the biggest fan of bus trips, this trip was very cool.

One of the stops along the way was Dromoland Castle, which hosted a medieval banquet for tourists back then (not sure if they still do) and it was fantastic. Many of those kinds of things can turn into nightmare evenings of cold, bad food, warm old beer and testy tourists.  Not this one!  It was like the renaissance fairs that dot the country in the summertime!  Great time!  Turns out that our family of three (mom, dad & I) were chosen as the Lord, Lady & Prince for the event and it was a complete blast for a lad of 17 to be waited on hand and foot by the pretty lasses with great, steaming hunks of food and drink for everyone!  

There was a crowd of about 100 people all seated at wooden benches being served in medieval fashion (sans knives & forks) when Pops jumped to his feet and in the heat of the moment (assisted by fermentation I'm sure) exclaimed for all present, "A Flagon of Mead for all my friends....and heavy on the Flagon's....and get us some more Wort's too!"  (we learned also that in medieval times vegetables were called Wort's! Not sure if that's true but it stuck) He received a standing ovation and from that point forward on the tour everyone on the bus treated us like royalty; bowing, asking 'by your leave' and generally having lots of fun with it.  Quite a memory...which I hadn't thought of until Star mentioned Mead!!

So Thanks Star!!!

Edited by Chinatola, 03 March 2014 - 02:00 PM.

Chinatola

Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized.

--- Daniel Burnham

#15 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2351 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

I feel as though we are all sitting on a screened porch together with several bottles of fill in the blank, telling stories. A tankard here, a stein there, a riedel glass and a Flagon (which we all say three times fast then drink and repeat). A single Dietz lamp sits on table, it's flame dancing with the gentle West Wind of a perfect summer's eve. Thank you little West Wind for indulging us.

#16 MeganC

MeganC

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

We have since switched to the carpet collar, although it isn't 100% effective. I think that he is just too flexible to completely prevent him from getting to his foot. With the cone on, he gets on his butt and can do a sort of sit up and stick his foot waaaay out and reach his stitches. It's pretty hilarious to see. And the carpet collar doesn't stop him from reaching his foot, but at least he isn't scratching the furniture. Plus, I customized it with some very spiffy 'I Love Bacon' duct-tape (blue with little bacon strips too). I have yet to try the carrot/honey mixture, but I'm sure Zeph wouldn't protest, as carrots are one of his favorite things and I do have some excellent local raw star-thistle honey on hand. I think no matter what he will end up with a scar though, just because of the kind of wound it was. I'm just happy it didn't go into the muscle or tendons in the area. He is due to get his stitches out the 11th so we will see how it goes. For now I have a mopey puppy sulking around the house because he can't go outside to play.

#17 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3433 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

Star's mead is some of the best I've ever had the pleasure of tasting! …as if we needed any further prodding to attend the gathering. ;)

I second this...Star's mead is a must try...I hope you bring plenty this year Star.... :)

AND Sherab and China, you two should get together and write a song....just a thought.

AND Megan C, thankfully this is relatively superficial (between the skin and muscle tissues) and thankfully a long way from his heart.  It's been a couple of days since his accident, how is he doing?  Can he go out side now?  Are stitches out?  Hope he is back to the "puppy romp." :lol:

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#18 MeganC

MeganC

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

He is doing pretty well, but his stitches are still in. Unfortunately he got to them today and pulled his scab off and loosened one of the knots of his stitches. I think its ok, but we are going to the vet in the morning to make sure. For now I have a sock on his leg to cover the wound so he can't get to it, per the vet's instructions. He can't go out yet, but I'm hoping for good news tomorrow so I can get this crazy guy outside! He is due for stitches out Tuesday, more news to come.

#19 MeganC

MeganC

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

He is doing pretty well, but his stitches are still in. Unfortunately he got to them today and pulled his scab off and loosened one of the knots of his stitches. I think its ok, but we are going to the vet in the morning to make sure. For now I have a sock on his leg to cover the wound so he can't get to it, per the vet's instructions. He can't go out yet, but I'm hoping for good news tomorrow so I can get this crazy guy outside! He is due for stitches out Tuesday, more news to come.

#20 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2351 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:22 AM

owch. Cake did that with her spay. She was doing great, hadn't tried to touch it the whole time and healing beautifully but her first day she had a little seepage that made a scab and one night at bed time in one deft move she pulled the scab off. Only time she messed with it but it was enough. So the next morning she got staples and a longer sentence to boredom. All is well now. In fact she pulled her scab off Monday night and instead of getting stitches out Wednesday she had stables until Friday afternoon. After that she played "with her hair on fire" for 2 hours in the snow. Slept like a log. Zeph is closer to being healed than Cake was when she made her tactical air strike so hopefully he will not suffer a setback.

I think we could write a song with enough mead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users