Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Carpet Collar

Seeing as how I have had several folks new to the puppy thing ask about e-cones and crating and spay/neuter surgery..

I decided to consolidate all the famous "Carpet Collar" stuff in one place. With a few pictures.

K'ne is one that would fuss at any little itch or discomfort. So we definitely used it with her!

Jasper had his elective surgery at about 5.5 mo, and did just fine.
We did not use a cone, but had the carpet-collar ready. Though turned out we didn't need it, and it was the right size for K'ne as well. (Or our BCx Mina, in a pinch..) As sizing is adjustable when you put it on them.

Measure your pup/dog from base of ear to top of shoulder, and Snugly around the neck. Cut a piece of carpet 2 times as wide as your dog is long from ears to shoulder, and about a third longer than to go around their neck. If your dog snug-neck measurement is 12" then cut at least 17" of length. Better too long than too short. And the double thickness of carpet takes up the extra. Also you will want a couple inches overlap to keep their hair out of the duct tape and have a smooth circle fit.

Double it over and duct tape it into place. I went Bias-Tape style and folded it thusly so there was no raw carpet edge against the dog.
StapleFold.jpg
CarpetCollar1.jpg
Think 'NeckBrace' - like for whiplash.. :)
Make sure you get it quite snug, so it doesn't slip over their head. If you can get a couple fingers under it -it's not too tight.
CarpetCollar3.jpg
And here it is in action- while she learn to manipulate a 'college-level' puzzle toy...
Didn't slow her down in the slightest, and she could walk around and sleep comfortably.
12122.jpg

Keeps them from being able to reach their surgery-bits. Without the fun of knocking over furniture and banging into stuff of a cone. Oh and they also make inflatable ones you can buy.
We went with carpet, as we had just pulled up 3 rooms of the stuff when we bought our house. LOL And K'ne could get around the inflatable one... dang her long nose.
And with all the fun new colors and styles of Duct Tape nowadays.. it can be fun!
And here it is in Retail form. BiteNot Collar
  • Like 1

ooooh I like. The soothing benefits of the donut hug w/o the furniture klunkage. We got an inflatable donut but this looks tres chic. Also they bump into things with the donut. I know you can get hot pink duck tape because I have some. This would look great with lepard print duck tape (or angry birds - which I saw in Meijers). Plus the other problem with the donut is that Tara wants hers too. So then there are two dogs knocking things over.

owiebuddies.jpg

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 2

...or if you have two dogs that work together, one will have the other chew the inflatable. POP- no more collar... :(

dang smart dogs...lol

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I think Tayamni would somehow pop her own inflatable collar!

Looking at the carpet type collar that Starghoti made.

The carpet backing is next to the dogs neck?

I see the carpet pile at the ear and neck end.

Where did you run the tape like bias tape?

Does this 'carpet collar' need to be changed or allow the neck to breathe or can it stay on for up to 14 days without removal?

Do you slip over head or wrap and overlap carpet around neck and stabilize in place with duck tape?

how tight is the carpet wrapped - snug/tight to neck or should have X inch room at duck tape outer wrap?

(Tayamni has short smooth hair and sensitive skin - which is one reason I'm researching what will work best for her now)

I'm not sure if I'm going to buy carpet remnants or if it would be less expensive to get the BiteNot or drfostersmith,com bite free collar.

I'm going to have her spayed some where in the next two to 4 weeks. She'll be 5 - 5.5 months old.

When I measure her, she is not fitting all suggested dimensions of the BiteNot and Bite Free collars.

and I AM A FAN OF DUCK TAPE!!!!!! :P

She seems to be adding 1 - 1.5 pounds of weight per week but neck not adding major circumference,

Right now 13" neck circumference

7" length - back of skull to in-between shoulder blades (maybe I measured neck connection to spine wrong?)

ear to mid shoulder - approx. 5.5" length.

Help, suggestions? advice?

THANKS! :lol:

Edited by Denise E.

Both our dogs are too smart and too flexible for the plastic cone..... they figured out how to use the edge of the cone to scratch any bits they couldn't just contort to get to.....

We tried the inflatable and it deflated too easily.

Not as elegant as yours but it worked... with the benefits you mentioned.... being able to get around and do most activities without the "shame"....

• Like 1

It is a pretty brilliant idea, actually! We may be copying it shortly (with permission of course) :) or going the retail route, not sure which when you-know-who has his you-know-what. I suppose a rolled up (and around) fleece blanket or equivalent might work too in place of the carpet? As long as the duck/duct tape component is in full effect. :)

• Like 1

Ayita wore the cone the first night and next day. After that, only at night. Tricky getting into the crate, but she didn't seem to mind. She didn't pay much attention to her incision during the day and we were in a position to watch her full time.

• Like 1

Tayamni with her long slender neck ...... I might just use a folded towel and "duck" tape. I saw it on utube and it credited Pinterest.

I do like the chest straps that the BiteNot and Bite Free have. A little extra protection, but if the towel were wrapped and thick enough it might not be worth her effort to get it off?

There is supposed to be the normal 'fingers slip between collar and fur on neck' when the above collars are put on.

(I've been chatting, talking, reading and watching videos ... )

mommom, did you see this also?

The carpet backing is next to the dogs neck?

I see the carpet pile at the ear and neck end.

Where did you run the tape like bias tape?

I folded mine Just Like the Staple diagram. And put a piece of duct tape along the 'seam' where the edges meet. Just like the picture/s in the original post.

You wrap it around their neck and hold it in place with the duct tape. DO NOT slip it over their head. This would defeat the purpose! When snug it is impossible for them to get it off because their Skull is in the way. lol There is no need for extra straps.

When you put it on, it is virtually impossible to get it too tight. The nature of their neck and the slight flex of carpet makes that so. I use it when I do not have eyes-on and it works great. It is not so tight like a bandage, and dogs do not sweat so there is no real concern for 'breathing' of fur underneath. After several uses you may need to peel off the excess layers of duct tape for appearance. lol

I have- literally- trusted my dogs' lives to this collar. K'ne in particular is a worrier and she would have worried her spay stitches out, possibly to the point of fatal injury. And she had to be unsupervised for several hours each day while we were both at work.

Sorry if my original instructional, at the top of this thread, was unclear.

• Like 1