Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Say Hello To Boone

Boone didn't want anything to do with pillows, doggie beds, or soft rugs a week ago. He would pull them out of the crate and sleep on the hard plastic. How quickly he changed his mind and likes the softer things in life lol Now he tries to drag his doggie bed with him underneath the wheelchair for nap time.

PB141602.JPG

• Like 4
  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feel like we have made huge progress in the last 12 hours. Boone has willing come into the house 4 times now. Now I'm not saying he was happy about it, but I didn't have to carry him across the th

I know that feeling of losing them in the garden, on the chairs etc. Walking right past them wondering where the heck they are..... Both Tolinka and Two Step are the color of fall leaves... Rain

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to post yesterday! We were severely sleep deprived and getting Boone settled in.   We got to airport Friday night and had a really hard time finding Delta cargo so

Posted Images

Sorry I don't have any pictures of Chief on the forum. Chief goes by many names, such as Chiefer beefer, Chiefster, Chiefy. If I come up with one I will send it to you directly.

• Like 1

those are excellent shots...I echo the fact that the pup didn't want to stay inside a week ago and now Kona can't wait to come inside. Except today. There was quite a bite to the temp today...in the teens. Pup felt comfortable as can be apparently because I had to drag her back in!

• Like 1

I would love to know what all of you would consider the best toy investment you've made for your puppy. We've spent a small fortune on toys and some are hits, others are total misses. Last night we bought the Kong Quest and it was a huge hit with Boone. I put a tiny dab of peanut butter in each opening and he was in heaven. He played with it long after the peanut butter was gone.

035585277066C.jpg

• Like 1

Best Toy(s) we've ever found, especially for dogs who love to remove squeakers from everything (um, what doggie doesn't?) are called Egg Babies.

The top is a regular stuffed toy, but the bottom is elasticized and holds multiple "eggs," each one being a separate durable squeaker.

A good game then becomes showing the puppy "See, I put the eggs in!" Then they take them back out...and want you to put them back in for them!

Lucky spent endless days with these!

http://www.amazon.com/PP01273-Babies-Interactive-6-Piece-Plush/dp/B0002MISVY

The other best toy I think similarly, but much simpler, was a plain fleece, stuffed ball. Not only did he love that thing and carried it around for years without chewing it, but then later in life, decided it might be ok to investigate a little further and chew a hole in it. THEN the real fun began. The game became to pull all the stuffing out through the hole...and the momma realized baby wanted her to put it all back in and play again!

In the meantime, after the stuffing came out... :D:D:D

lucky_small.JPG

Edited by mommom
  • Like 2

Oh too cute!! What a great picture! Boone is afraid of squeakers right now lol. He's curious but not curious enough to get near one yet. I think an Egg Baby might just be a great Christmas present. Thanks for sharing

You can even buy just the squeaker eggs by themselves if those get to be the favorite thing. :) They sell *bags* of replacement eggs!

Toys seem to vary by dog and by age. Shiva likes solid rubber balls. Tara liked jolly balls and stuffed pooh bear. Inside Waki likes cat toys (mice, birds, faux bugs) which he will kill and share with his girl. Cake likes Waki and dis-embodied squeekers. Waki use to like chipmunks in a log toy but this has to be watched because cake will go for the squeekers. Outside Waki likes frisbees. Soft fabric or rubber. Cake likes Waki. Shiva likes soccer ball and Waki. Waki is a very good all round toy, apparently.

• Like 4

Lili is ball obsessed. I swear she'd grab the moon if she could reach it. Doesn't matter at all although tennis balls get preferential treatment.

Kona apparently thinks that my toes are the best thing that has ever happened anywhere...ever.

They both like Dragons...little squeaky dragons:

http://petus.imageg.net/PETNA_36/pimg/pPETNA-5163472_main_t300x300.jpg

• Like 2

Oh WOW! I've been missing a lot. As she says eyes half open - catatonic ..... :ph34r:

Tayamni has a blue Godzilla squeaky and she absolutely loves it to cuddle with. She doesn't make them squeak much but I use the squeaky to get her attention when we are outside. Also have a puppy size rope toy we throw that and sometimes she brings it back, sometimes she doesn't know where it went because she so distracted by all the sounds outdoors (we have construction going on the next street over).

She loves her bully stick AND cat toys - especially this pink fuzzy thing - takes the cat toys out of the cat toy basket. I tried to explain to her that she's a dog but she only had 3 cats to TRY and play with until last night.

Toes were definitely the first favorite toy!!!!! then Puppy size Nylabone, then a ball with ribbons on either side of it (through it). These toys are getting old now (not even a week and will have to swap some out to make them 'new' again later.

Bully stick and rope are still good! Tayamni mouths and chews everything - constantly having to redirect with a toy she is still interested in. That goodness puppies have short attention spans!!!!! :P

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 1

Love reading all the favorites. I think I saw the dragons in the Costco ad yesterday. Boone doesn't like balls yet but hoping he will come to like them as he grows. He likes anything for about 30 seconds, then he distracted and forgets about it. Short puppy attention span! I would love to find something that he enjoys playing with us outside. Our vet gave him some teething rings and chews that he is absolutely wild about. He will munch on them for a long time (30-40 minutes!) so we save them for when we need to keep him occupied and out of trouble for awhile! We also found a sweet potato filled bone that occupies for long periods of time. It's great for distracting him when he wants to chew on toes.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Time for a Boone update. He went to the vet today is now 16.2 lbs. He is growing everyday and we can't believe how tall and long he is. He has lost a lot of that puppy look and is beginning to devolop that lean look. His ears are big and upright now and his coloring is changing a bit each day. His coat is getting a lot darker. We're a little concerned because the vet found a heart murmur. He feels it's a small one and will continue to monitor it at this point. If it's still present at his next check-up he would like to have an echocardiogram done. Praying he is right and it is a minor issue. Luckily, we already bought the pet insurance.

Crate training has been a life saver for us. He loves his crate and sleeps through the night in it and seeks it out during the day for naps. He doesn't mind being in it when we leave the house for a few hours. He doesn't cry or howl to get out...even after 8 hours. He sits in his crate and waits for me to help my husband get up and dressed each morning, then I let him out of his crate and he goes outside. He waits just inside the crate for me to put him on his leash. We've been going out in the mornings with the leash to prevent any accidents and also to get him used to the leash.

Boone has undergone a transformation the last few days. We feel like we can finally see the dog he is to become. He seems to have given up his fight to be in charge and finally decided that we are the pack leaders and he must follow our rules. He is responding quickly to all commands and the water bottle (as dicussed on the biting tips forum) rarely comes out. He is so funny because I can see him actually catching himself and correcting his own behavior. He will come running at me full speed, which is usually how he starts his attack mode, then he remembers that he can't do it anymore and will come to a screeching halt. Sometimes, he stops himself so quickly he goes tumbling. A couple times he misjudged his stopping distance and slammed into my legs. He goes tumbling but he doesn't go after me or my clothes. I can't believe the simple solution was a water bottle! For those of you with a persistent stubborn pirana of a dog...buy a $3 water bottle at Walmart. The Rubbermaid brand bottles are great. The dollar store ones don't spray a stream very far, but those Rubbermaid ones can really spray!

Another thing we finally figured out is that Boone is very sensitive to sugars. We feed him a good brand of gluten free, high protein food. We buy the same type of treats. However, he LOVES the Nylobones bacon or peanutbutter 'bones' from the pet store. But whenever he has one he goes crazy. Totally crazy, uncontrollable, and just plain awful behavior with the strength and energy of a super hero. Last night he hurdled the couch...while we watched with open mouths. He has never even been on the couch! Luckily he was in such a state of frenzy, he didn't realize what he had done. We've been amazed at how many of the chew treats have gylcerin, glucose, maple syrup or some other form of pure sugar. We took away a toy that had a hoof on it because he was able to break off large pieces with his teeth. We also took away a large peanutbutter stuffed bone for the same reason. We have antlers and a 2 sheep horns that he loves to chew. We bought a few new brands of chews to try this week.

Ok now I have a question for those of you who have AIDs. Boone humps everything...his bed, his pillows, toys etc. The vet said that this is very unusual in dog so young and he doubts it's hormonal. He thought it may be him trying to exert dominance. He also releases an awful overpowering smell when he gets excited or agitated...very musky. From reading online it makes me think it may be that he is releasing the anal glands? Any thoughts??

10384052_10205308176409095_2891188637851420105_n.jpg

Boone with Antlers.jpg

10174903_10152948050946457_4652277195397487818_n.jpg

• Like 3

"plain awful behavior with the strength and energy of a superhero" LOL! So happy you figured out that he was tweaking on sugar, oh my. Congratulations on the transformation of your wild baby boy into a smart and handsome young man...He sounds like a character!

• Like 1

Wow the sugar thing is just like some human kids. I am glad you figured that out. Add water bottles and sugar sensitivity to the list for future puppy owners!

have you ever watched the show about evil cats? there's a Ceasar Chaves of cats and they do these same evil attack things. He advises the people to give them small things to kill (I use cat toys - mice and birds, the occassional stuffed toy). and he suggests lots of exercise including - putting the cats on a leash and walking an area equivalent to a territory. Gib use to say "walk the parimiter" It may be that you need to take Boon on a patrol of the neighborhood each day. It can be hard for an alpha dog to be the only dog and therefore always on the bottom. He needs a job or two (like walk the parimiter). Waki had a hard time at 14- 18 months being the bottom dog (I have a thread somewhere on the boulder and the angry ferret - which was how he was relating to our female GSD as he tried to move in pack order). If you have room you might consider getting a very submissive companion dog at some point. Anyhow I bet this guy has some advice for cats that spray: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/07/arts/television/my-cat-from-hell-on-animal-planet.html?_r=0

http://www.tv.com/shows/my-cat-from-hell/

I would give Kim a call and just chat behavior - especially that humping thing. All dogs have musk glands. They use it to mark territory or it is expressed when frightened or defending (GSD musk in the car when defending it for example). They excrete a little each time they poop. Cake is not at all alpha and we have to hand express her glands to assure they don't get too full/ infected.

Get your boy fixed as soon as Kim recommends - like 5 months no matter what the vet recommends - we let Waki go to 7 months because all his teeth hadn't come in and he was so small per the vet. We had some issues due to his getting a taste of the hormones. All worked out but something to be aware of in your boy.

• Like 2

I haven't seen the evil cat show but sounds like I should! I also think a lot more exercise will be good for Boone. We have a big yard and he plays outdoors a lot but so far haven't been able to walk him or go to the park because he had giardia and coccidia. He wasn't fully vaccinated yet either. The vet gave the ok for walks now so we'll start that this weekend. I think it will be really good for him. We bought a pack for him but haven't had it on him yet. That should be interesting. The funny thing is that he isn't dominant in a lot of ways. Kim picked a dog for us that wasn't suppose to be an alpha or high energy dog. Maybe the crates got mixed up at the airport lol But we also had a carpet cleaner at the house who had a grooming business. He spent about 15 minutes with Boone and said he wasn't a dominant dog at all...rolled him on his back and things like that. I don't know what to think because he sure seems like it in some ways. I plan on getting him fixed at 5 months but have a little work to do to convince the vet. He wants to wait for 6 months. I'll consider calling Kim. I think he'd want to know about the heart mummur.

• Like 1

Isn't that show called "My cat from Hell" and it's the bald guy with the tats and the guitar case filled with cat stuff. We watch it sparingly as I don't want to give my cats any ideas ....... :ph34r:

I still can't get over how similar in markings (and some personality traits ... quirks ...) Boone and Tayamni have! :lol:

I will go to store and look at labels of toys I have bought to see if glucose or sugar, etc. in any of them.

Although Tayamni doesn't hump, she does ride Roger (draped over his back and has just started being interested in his underside/genitals - Roger was neutered b4 puberty). The water bottle may come out for that.

She's 12 weeks old! What happened to her childhood, her innocence????? LOL! :P

• Like 1

I feel bad that I can't seem to keep up with the forum these days. I do try to check in once in awhile and ohh and ahhh over all the pictures that are being posted and try to read some of the topics. I especially smile when I read about the experiences of other new owners. Somehow nothing quite prepares for the spirit and intelligence of these dogs. I can't believe how my life has become totally consumed with ONE puppy. Now, if I had three or four pets I might understand. But how can one puppy take up so much of my day??? My house is rarely clean these days and my to do list never gets any shorter. This is the least prepared I've ever been for the holiday season. sigh...ah well it's nothing in the grand scheme of things, is it?

Boone is growing by leaps and bounds. He was 16.2 lbs at his check up a week ago. He has realized that he can now reach counter tops, table tops, and just about anything else that raises his interest. We don't allow him on the furniture or to jump on us...at least that's what we work on. But now in his excitement and with his long legs he often leaps into my lap or over the couch when he's excited. He seems as surprised as I am. Yesterday I looked everywhere for him in the yard and couldn't find him. I had walked right past him sitting in a chair at the patio table. He was so proud of himself and so cute that we decided he can sit on that furniture. He loves it! He rotates around the table, trying out each chair. His coloring is becoming darker and so beautiful.

He is doing amazingly well with Nick training him twice a day, usually in the morning before work and again in the evening. Boone loves the training as much as Nick. I'd love to attach a video from yesterday but it's 5 min long and too large. Anyone know how I can post that? He starts formal puppy school in January. Until then, he remains the worst behaved puppy in puppy socializstion class. He has no manners and can't control his excitement. He just wants to love on everyone and every dog! Not all the dogs (or the humans for that matter) appreciate this trait lol. He totally passes out on the way home, all worn out from playing 20141213_095621.jpg

He is still stubborn, strong willed and totally rotten on a regular basis. But the fact that he's so darn cute saves him every time...even when he shreds my newspaper the minute I leave the kitchen. 20141211_081700.jpg

20141212_154444.jpg

20141212_155108.jpg

• Like 5

Ahhh Doc he is so beautiful! I can very much relate to "Where did all my time go?!" Incredible amounts of attentiveness are required with Sita, she is so smart and active and easily bored, if I want to have any free time, I've got to earn it by tiring her out at the beach or on massive walks...then her mellow, cuddly, easy side comes out... Cesar is so right about this. Seeing Boone so big and dog-like makes me eager to see what she will look like when she gets bigger...I am enjoying this phase very much, AND I am looking forward to the day when she is more mellow, less chewy, less challenging and boundary pushing in so many moments!

• Like 4

I know that feeling of losing them in the garden, on the chairs etc. Walking right past them wondering where the heck they are.....

Both Tolinka and Two Step are the color of fall leaves...

two step : color of fall leaves IMG_9429.jpg

Rain gets lost in the shadows, and when she is around anything dark.....

rain the color of railroad ties IMG_1467.jpg

Fortunately, when I loose Rain and call her, she barks telling me where she is....at least so far.

These are Camo dogs. :ph34r:

• Like 7

Ahhh Doc he is so beautiful! I can very much relate to "Where did all my time go?!" Incredible amounts of attentiveness are required with Sita, she is so smart and active and easily bored, if I want to have any free time, I've got to earn it by tiring her out at the beach or on massive walks...then her mellow, cuddly, easy side comes out... Cesar is so right about this. Seeing Boone so big and dog-like makes me eager to see what she will look like when she gets bigger...I am enjoying this phase very much, AND I am looking forward to the day when she is more mellow, less chewy, less challenging and boundary pushing in so many moments!

With Boone, it seems like that day came out of the blue. He just woke up one morning and decided he was done challenging our authority and pushing the boundries. The first day I really thought it was a fluke and was even afraid to mention it to my husband when he called from work ( his usual mid day call to see if I was hanging in there or going insane), the second day I was hopeful and by the third day we were practically giddy! He still has many puppy moments for sure, but all that training we thought he was ignoring...he was soaking it up and couldn't wait to show it off! Hang in there, it's coming!!

• Like 4

I know that feeling of losing them in the garden, on the chairs etc. Walking right past them wondering where the heck they are.....

Both Tolinka and Two Step are the color of fall leaves...

http://www.iidoba.org/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.giftwo step : color of fall leaves IMG_9429.jpg

Rain gets lost in the shadows, and when she is around anything dark.....

http://www.iidoba.org/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifrain the color of railroad ties IMG_1467.jpg

Fortunately, when I loose Rain and call her, she barks telling me where she is....at least so far.

These are Camo dogs. :ph34r:

Great pictures!! Love that second one lol

LOL! WOW! I feel the same - Tayamni takes up time. Even with my sister home.

Tayamni learned she can outrun me and of course doesn't always come.

I'm still waiting for the "settling in" or rather focus.

It is funny how similar our two siblings are! In looks AND actions!

Do you ever get this look from Boone? I get it a lot from Tayamni - it's NOT her "Hi alpha Mom! What can I learn now?" look!

I get a weight on Tayamni this Saturday. Her black muzzle has receded some but the two still look very similar.

Even though they are the same age, I received Tayamni a week later and I read your posts with great anticipation! hee hee :D

IMG_20141212_075917.jpg

IMG_20141211_080729.jpg

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 1

I just looked back on pics of Boone you posted a month ago - my they grow so fast.

Boone has a young dog look already - sitting on the patio chairs! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I love that garden shot. Good representation of our dogs.