Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Tribal Drum And Recall?

I had a very unusual and interesting thing happen yesterday. We have been working on recall and coming back to us when off leash, and as everyone knows, these stinkers have a mind of their own, and exploration sometimes takes over their brains and even a promise of "treat" doesn't do it. I have a whistle tune that I use, that is unique to me, and I would say 75% of the time, he eventually comes, though it may take 3 tries.

Yesterday was a cloudy moody June day, and I stayed home, literally resting my brain and just enjoying a movie in the late afternoon....well, Wyot was sleeping in the kitchen. All of a sudden, in the movie, there was a drum beat, repeating itself in a single tone...tribal sounding. Out of nowhere, I hear Wyot's tags stirring, and he immediately responded and ran straight to the TV screen, tail wagging, alert and happy, but scrutinizing the screen, wondering where it was coming from!!!

We have drums at home-a Toca hand percussion drum..I stood up when he was settled somewhere again for a bit....then beat on our own drum far from where he was. His response was IMMEDIATE! Happily wagging his tail and at attention, looking up at me, and if he could smile, this was his doggy smile for sure! Tried a few more times, and each time, the response was the same. Now I have a child's percussion drum, that literally is the size of a tambourine. I tried that , with the same response! Well, now, this is portable enough to take with me on the trail, LOL!!! I am now wondering if this is something the breed recognizes instinctually? I'd be interested to know if anyone has any similar experiences.

In the meantime, I'll let you know if it works when we are on a trail!

Edited by KittynDoc
  • Like 5

He marches to the beat of his own drum! :-)

That is very neat and sounds like it will be fun.

I never had any drums play for Nakoma, but I do know that he likes to "sing" when I play the flute, and it really puts him into a playful mood. (Not that he needs much to go from zero to a hundred in a split second).

I guess they're called "song dogs" for a reason.

Please let us know how it goes with the mini drum!!!! I can't wait to hear how it goes!

• Like 2

That's really neat. My son is a drummer and my dogs have never really paid attention to his drumming but then again my son has never done a tribal like beat. I'm gonna have him try it today and see what happens. My dogs do respond strongly whenever I play dogs and wolves howling!

• Like 3

Well, just tried it. My Kai is the only one who noticed anything at all. My pup Jesse didn't respond and my friends boy Latte just stood nervous like he often does, haha. I guess they're all used to drumming in the background of our garage. My Jesse also responds to me when I whistle a tune, the word cookie also works!

• Like 3

Love how our dogs respond to things...Nytebiker, I hear you on the singing. Our phone rings a tune instead of your typical ringing...Wyot is used to me picking up halfway through the tune, but is always curiously looking at where the sound comes from, as well as my reaction to it. One day, I was outside, and the phone rang. Well, I obviously couldn't get it, so I let it ring- lo and behold, I heard Wyot "singing" to it- howling along!!! It was SO funny...it happened one more time when I was in the shower, and I heard his howling as the phone kept ringing its tune...

Sschenck, in our house, you cannot say the word FOOD- he runs like the wind to his bowl, and stares up longingly, tail wagging....EAT is the same, so I end up spelling sometimes so as not to get him riled and excited about something that is not coming right away....I do end up giving him a bite size treat, as I feel bad, lol!! Maybe because your dogs are used to drumming in the background which is why they don't respond to the single beat.? I love love love the things our dogs do! Definitely different than any other dogs I've ever had! .

• Like 3

Wish I could upload video. Haven't figured that out yet. Kaposia comes running and howls and sings and howls whenever Denny's phone ringtone goes off. ONLY his ringtone (?) I just love it when she does the howling, it's such a wonderful sound, but I wonder if it's a good thing or some kind of distress signal (?)

• Like 3

Wish I could upload video. Haven't figured that out yet. Kaposia comes running and howls and sings and howls whenever Denny's phone ringtone goes off. ONLY his ringtone (?) I just love it when she does the howling, it's such a wonderful sound, but I wonder if it's a good thing or some kind of distress signal (?)

I often wonder that too...is it distress that I am not there to field that phone as it rings? Or is it a sing along for him? I guess we will never know, LOL!! Whatever it is, it's a beautiful thing..

• Like 1

My daughter plays the viola when she hits certain notes my chihuahua, Avery, will start howling a horrible pitch and Kai immediately joins in. Avery starts to become frantic so we don't let it go on. Avery's howl is not pleasant at all! Indian dog howls are sweet and soothing.

• Like 4

Tamarack has one very specific song on the radio that he will jump up from a sound sleep to listen to and just recently started howling along to. I don't think I'll ever know exactly what it is about that specific song, but his love for it sure is adorable! Rune on the other hand couldn't care less about it.

They both are very responsive to sudden sounds though, and just about anything will 'recall' them if it's an interesting/abrupt enough noise. I've sneezed while walking the boys in the woods and opened my eyes to both of them sitting in front of me expectantly waiting for their treat :lol:

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't tried a heartbeat on a drum for the dogs. Both dogs listen to the drum and singing in the car and listened in the house when they were little.

I had a dream last night that Coffey & Tayamni got loose while we were on a trip and Tayamni finally came back but we had to leave (in a group) without Coffey. We came back as soon as we could and he finally came back to us through the woods but I could see he was injured. I woke up before he got to us so I didn't know if he was hurt from a fall, if he was shot or if he had been attacked.

Am glad I didn't have the dream B4 we went on our yearly ceremony trip!

I don't carry my drum when we are walking but if that drumbeat works I am not opposed to getting a small toy child's drum or even recording the drum beat on my phone! :)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

That's an awful dream. :-(

I dreamt something opposite... where it was I who was injured, pinned underneath my car, unable to move or make noise. My father found me while walking Nakoma (Nakoma pulled him to me on the leash). I woke up then, so I don't know what happened. Very weird dream.

Would tapping on an empty water bottle or tupperware have the same sound effect as the drum? I know Nakoma likes the sound of crinkling a water bottle. .... :unsure:

• Like 1

That's an awful dream. :-(

I dreamt something opposite... where it was I who was injured, pinned underneath my car, unable to move or make noise. My father found me while walking Nakoma (Nakoma pulled him to me on the leash). I woke up then, so I don't know what happened. Very weird dream.

Would tapping on an empty water bottle or tupperware have the same sound effect as the drum? I know Nakoma likes the sound of crinkling a water bottle. .... :unsure:

Oooh, what a dream! BUT, our dogs always come through, dream or not... :)

• Like 1