Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Brothers...bonding...and Car Rides

A bit of an update on Kitchee, and his older brother Wyot....they get along famously! Rivalry between them is friendly, there's rabble rousing, and growling, but the tails wag and each submits to the other when the situation warrants it. I LOVE watching them together! Kitchee always thinks he needs to steal Wyot's bully stick (it's better than his, you know, lol!)...and Wyot just stands there, until Kitchee sorts out which stick he wants, and then they settle and each of them chews happily, laying in the sun, or on the carpet in the living room while we watch Tv in the evening. Yes, Kitchee has graduated to coming in there for short periods of time after dinner...and he's holding his own.

He has now mastered ringing the bell on the door (we hung a bigger and louder one on the kitchen sliders) when he needs to go out. Every time, he is proud and goes off and does his potty thang. He outsmarted Wyot yesterday. Wyot plays with him and takes off, running like a greyhound, in large circles around Kitchee...and the little guy just sits and watches in awe...then, the third go-round, he ran in the OTHER direction, and cut Wyot off at the pass!!! A look of astonishment came over Wyot, and then came a new game, and they ran and ran, which was so fun to watch! Kitchee is a smart little bugger, and he figured out how to open the gate if we don't lock it right; he opened the box where I keep their toys, and just pulled every one of them out, with Wot helping once he got the box open. He is an instigator, and now Wyot is the one who is the calm one, unless he whines, which seems to have gotten less -because we are ignoring it, so he gives up after 10 minutes (eternity to us, of course, but now it whittles down to less each time).

Now, car rides! We bought a car divider gate for the back of our SUV. In one day, they mastered jumping into the back when we open it (mourning going into the back seat, and a bit of confusion at first)...so, Wyot wasn't shaking anymore. Kitchee screeched through the gate at us, protesting, but then settles. Diving at cars still happens, but there is more looking out the back window. Whining happens, but not as often and as frenzied...and it is not in our ear anymore, which was fraying our nerves! So, I am guessing the rides will get better as time passes, and I will also give them snack filled Kongs to keep them happy and busy on longer rides. Here are a few pictures of the brothers sleeping (almost like bunk beds in one, and one of them in the living room in the evening... then Kitchee, just being Kitchee!(sorry for the pics being sideways...!)!

IMG_6445.JPGOs2TZy0FRs2cy9HT8TwOwg.jpg%D2y94cTSYy%PI7BJ9Qhhw.jpgyHZ602gDRteWqmZ8rmFj+w.jpg

Edited by KittynDoc
  • Like 4

Just curious - how much does Kitchee weigh? He looks so big in the photos.

Just curious - how much does Kitchee weigh? He looks so big in the photos.
He's definitely grown since we got him in February- he will be 4 months old on the 20th of April. He weighs about 15-18 lbs now. He will eat ANTYTHING that is not nailed down, LOL!! Yesterday he stole an unripe avocado from the fruit bowl (he has a bad habit of putting his paws up on table tops, counters and shelving when we are not in the room, and swatting at anything that looks interesting so he can play or eat it!!!!) I was mortified, because of course both dogs ate some, skin, pit and all- though they left me with about a 1/4 of the evidence (Wyot will only be complicit when the deed is done, he won't go up on tables and such...we trained him well on that, and Kitchee hopefully will learn after I say NO when I do catch him in the act- but he will take part in the spoils once it's there!) Kitchee can still walk right under Wyot without a problem, so he is still small...and counts on his cuteness as he's getting into trouble, LOL!
  • Like 1

One of my favorite photos of Wyot and Kitchee....innocence!!!! :)

7EWe11Q+Ti2yabDXA5Q4%g.jpg

• Like 1

Both of your boys are beautiful! Sophie was born on Dec 20th also so they are siblings, right? She has a bad habit of stealing something that she knows she cannot have and running with it and she is fast! Of course I cannot chase her because then I am joining her in her game. And she will not come when she is asked when she has the stolen item in her mouth. She is quite a challenge sometimes but we love her so much. Such a smart little girl! She went to the vet today and weighed in at a whopping 22.2 lbs. No fat on her though - all long legs and muscle.

• Like 1

Thank you, and yes, they are siblings!!!Momma Sage and Papa Tonto, right? Sophie looks like she has similar colors to my Wyot...wow, yes, all muscle- the long legs, lol!! Where Kitchee could not jump up onto the bench, now he jumps up there no problem...so Wyot has no safety anymore! He used to get up there so he wouldn't be nipped at to prompt play and rolling around.

Yes Kitchee steals, for now.....he stole the avocado, and he steals and runs, but has limited access to the rest of the house for now, so I catch him, and say NO...he has the guilty look. Outside, however, he is VERY good on recall. I have used a clicker, and if I need to use that because he is a bit distracted, he comes running immediately when I click it..and sits in front of me, waiting for praise or a treat (depends on what/where we are). He is mostly off leash, and knows the word UP for going up the stairs outside to our upper field....GO LEFT means out of the house and to the left, to the creek- both dogs have learned this language, and they are QUICK to learn. Kitchee knows the sign language that I use for sit and lay down (Wyot knows this too), and does it without my saying anything out loud. He is better than Wyot at being patient when he lays down, however...I put a treat on the floor in front of him, and he stays until I give him the go ahead to get it. Always asking him to look into my eyes, so he knows I AM the ONE giving him permission to get it. Wyot never got that, lol! Different dogie personalities- love these wonderful, sometimes frustrating, amazingly intelligent dogs!

Edited by KittynDoc
  • Like 3

It sounds like you are a really good trainer. I haven't been able to let Sophie run free yet outside. We have 5 acres but 2 neighbors are close enough for her to get to. One of them has dogs and Sophie is not quite "Parvo”safe. She will be in about a week though, then I can be more lenient with the leash. I don't trust her yet to come when called. She is quick to learn but she gets belligerent sometimes. Once in awhile when I tell her to stay she looks me in the eye, tosses her head and runs. I love her spirit but I just need to be a stronger pack leader. She never disobeys my husband!

• Like 1