Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Welcome Carolyn And Dave..oregon

I noticed something different and special this morning. We have a little lap time every morning in our chair--my personal fav. I have my coffee and she has her bone or toy or something. She pretends to drop her toy, looks at it, looks at me and sighs--and I pick it up about a hundred times. I massage her a little and we do some deep breathing. Sometimes she sleeps a little while.This morning she lost interest in the bone and just relaxed on my lap, almost falling asleep. This time I felt like it was for me. Then after about 15 minutes, she gently and quietly went to the floor and left me with a very peaceful feeling.

• Like 2
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple of pics of our mini AIDog. Weighed in at vets at a whopping 18 pounds two days ago. She's 4 1/2 months old.    

This is somewhat embarrassing, but here goes. Today is the first time either Ayita or I have gone inside a dog park with other dogs...sad but true. We have been to the lovely park that surrounds it, a

Yep- Know the Look well.   They are such amazing creatures, aren't they?   I figure if I can learn 1/4 as much of their language as they learn of mine, I am doing good! LOL

Posted Images

Here is Miss Ayita modeling her new pack. First "hike"--short and sweet. (kinda big right now)

20140618_113959.jpg

Edited by Carolyn

Wow, she's really matured. The changes! She's gorgeous! Like the backpack too....what size is it and how much does Ayita weigh now?...need to get one for Lilikoi.

• Like 1

She's right around 26 pounds now @ 9 months. The pack is a small. We thought this one looked like it had the smallest profile online, but it seems a little large. She did okay on the short walk although she acted like it was very heavy. Did a lot of sitting down and trying to shake it off, but made it the whole way with lots of encouragement (and treats). It is very lightweight and had nothing inside. Now we know what to do when she has too much energy! She crashed on the deck for a couple of hours after we took it off. Of course, she'll be ready to play ball pretty soon though. Never too tired for that!

How old is Lili?

Edited by Carolyn

Wow, Ayita looks just like her brother Neo (besides having different coloring and Neo breaking the scale at a whopping 50lbs). Especially the creme tufts of fur on the rear. Thank you for the photo! I really like your story about Ayita sitting with you in the chair. Often times Neo does the same thing in the morning with his toys, and sometimes just to snuggle. He likes putting his paw and head on my lap at the same time, letting out a deep breath when he finally settles into a comfortable position. At the moment, he is laying at my feet with is paw on my ankle. He always has to be touching some part of us with those paws!

I am also happy to hear that Ayita has been to the dog park! Tell me more! We take Neo to the dog park between 2-4 times a day. He is so sweet with the other dogs. He especially loves being chased, stealing sticks from other dogs, and playing with Great Danes. He is so sly when it comes to "stealing" other dogs toys. He pretends that he doesn't care, and then lays down next to the other dog and waits for them to become distracted. He loves playing with the ball, but instead of dropping it for us to throw again, he waves it in other dogs faces or brings it to our hands and nudges us with it. He does this with his toys too. Nudges us with them when he wants to play.

Neo just learned to lift his leg. Unfortunately, he just started to lift his leg on people at the dog park this week! So embarrassing!

• Like 1

Lili is 2.5 years old (12/7/11) and she's now 35 pounds (long time boarders will attest to my constant badgering about how lightweight she was early on....she's the runt of the litter so she took a loooong time to pack on the pounds).

she too is a ball hound...can't. ever. get. enough. .

Plus....she's not too fond of baths....

• Like 1

C, That is exactly her brother too! Great video. He does that in the snow, he does that in the grass, he does that when Cake bites him in the a$$. He does it down the hill, he does it in the back seat of the car. It's the only thing he does that Cake doesn't also do unless it's the carcass of one of his kills. He also regularly feeds himself and his girl with birds, frogs, rodents. She points and sort of hunts but I've never seen her actually get anything but with Waki it's almost a daily thing. Anyhow Cake doesn't do the roll n rub thing. It's one of the few ways they aren't "twins".

Is Lili having issues with heat this year? I have noticed that Waki is shedding gobs of really warm undercoat and he does get hot. Cake on the other hand seems to like the heat. In winter she's in the barn and you can't get Waki to come in - now that it's summer she's constantly outside and he comes and lays on the cool concrete floor in the barn.

Ayita looks awesome in her pink pack. Love her munch-kin-ness.

Miss Cake is now about 2 inches taller than Waki. She was such a teeny pup we still can't figure out how but Waki is coping well with the fact that he has to stand on a box to mount her (which he does) and uses his superior thickness as leverage for when she attacks him. It's really funny and I can't imagine them being any more bonded than they are.

Ayita and Neo are really good looking. I hope you guys post more montages of photos soon. Of course I am dying for the Lili and ???? series of pix and stories. Hope that happens soon!

• Like 2

In light of the issues with her knee we may put off the addition of pup #2 for a little while. We're headed over to the new vet on Friday for the 2nd opinion and I'm hoping that it's an opinion that doesn't include surgery. I'm pretty sure that it'll be the same thing but I'm holding out hope anyway. If that is the case then we're going to pull the trigger sooner rather than later and I'm a little concerned with recovery and rehab with a new pup in tow. Now Mrs. Chin? That's a totally different story...she's calling for puppy now! (chances are she'll win this fight and that's okay but I'm still a little concerned about that)

We haven't had any major pops since instituting the mild restriction. It's been a couple of weeks. Minor ones, yea, but big doozies? Not too many. Went out in the yard yesterday at dusk and lightly tossed the ball around for about 20 minutes. It went out once but she fixed in in mid stride...didn't even stop running! She's never had an issue on any of our walks and most often she gets between 2-5 miles per session and averages of 3-5 times a week these days (busy busy). Winter was really tough this year and we didn't get enough walk time in at all and then in the spring time I got the chuck it thing and we starting going to the local dog park and tossing the ball around interspersed with her regular walks. Now this. I'm guessing that it was there all along and the stress of the chuck it thing just brought it out sooner? I don't know...I've been struggling with this for a bit but I'm nearly done second guessing myself and applying large slathering heaps of self loathing over the whole thing. Maybe a few more days of that...it's cathartic somehow. Plus, when I'm down she's aware & she'll come over and poke me in the a$$ with the tennis ball and it's playtime. Who can argue with that logic?

She's good 98% of the time...then, with no warning, she'll be standing in the hallway looking at you with that look and her leg in the air. No clue...just happened when she stood up I guess? Fortunately those are very rare.

In all cases, so far, she's been able to reset it by either sitting or lying prone on all fours (like in the image below). Couple of seconds...good as new.

The trials, tribulations, joys & privileges of puppy parents!

that was fun!.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are some creative ways to avoid the heat during the time of the day reserved for ball playing, sniffing stuff, cow watching and helping work. The turtle escaped unscathed. Second time it has showed up. The 12" bully stick was gone in a heart beat. She fell asleep in her training collar--so much for in house training. Walked along the Rogue River in the shade...

turtle1.jpg

turtle2.jpg

Rogue River.jpg

20140706_102155.jpg

20140708_154145.jpg

Edited by Carolyn
  • Like 2

...Looks like she's moved into your heart as well as your chair.

Interesting you should say that, Sherab. We have had her for 8 months and loved her every minute, but something changed recently. I feel like we are really getting to know and understand each other better. We feel closer and more connected to her. The love goes deeper. There is more trust. What an awesome ride!

• Like 3

I hear ya on the deeper bond thing Carolyn, Lili keeps opening new doors to let us peek into what she's thinking and when we're fortunate enough to figure out what she's trying to tell us she goes berserk with excitement! Not like what you'd expect though...sort of a skippy, happy, whirly, twirly, smiley, goofy, silly, happy excitement. It's just the most fun thing to watch. Every time it happens she's more connected...you can see it on her face. 'I think I'm getting through to them!'

Conversely, when our dense, less evolved and merely human brains can't decipher what it is that she's trying to tell us she gets so frustrated that she actually stamps her feet in revolt. She's always come over and poked you with her snout to get your attention. Now though there's a stampy component to to the snout poke for you if you manage to somehow derail her plans of joy.

This dog is is total goof!

Edited by Chinatola

Yes! Like when we play ball. She will rarely return a ball that is thrown (chucked--i can't throw for beans), so if I want to "play" I have to bring several. Once they are all thrown and caught, she grabs one and runs like the wind, waiting for me to find and throw the rest. Sometimes I have to ask her where they are. She shows me and throws me this "duh" look over her shoulder. If I get too slow, she rounds them up and puts them under a tree for me.

You have such a wonderful way with words. So descriptive I could see Lili stamping her feet. When Ayita gets that happy skippy thing, she gets into an affected prissy walk. Watching her from the rear, sometimes I laugh out loud. And that poke with the snout (from behind) is always a surprise :o.

Waki does a foot stamp thing too but only for daddy. Scott calls it "tuxedo feet" because Waki is black with that wonderful white chest. He goes over to Scott, sits, throws his chest out and then stamps his two front feet back and fourth, like marching. He also sticks his little chin out. With me it's more how he breaths - sighs, squeeks, chuffing. Like right now he's bored and wants me to do something other than type a story out to you. I think I respond more to audio and Scott is more visual.

• Like 2

Coyo does that chuffing foot stamp...."Don't you get it?". Very funny to me that others know the move.

The other move I absolutely love is the happy run around move where they move their front feet in circles. Anyone else know this one?

• Like 1

Allison, can you describe it more? Cake does this "dancey cake" thing. She kind of bounces about just in front of me and out of arms reach.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...