Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

We are currently crate training our new puppy. We've been very lucky by having different people let us borrow their crates while Nanuk is growing but we are looking for a long term crate he can grow into. We are looking at different ones and running into a few questions about what size would be best. We don't want to get one that's extremely large but of course, we don't want one too small. We looked at the breed standard but I've read where some of these dogs get larger than the standard. Just trying to get an idea as to what size we should be looking for. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

A lot depends on space for it in your home and how long you plan to use the crate and if you want to use it in your truck or car. I don't think you can go too big. I'd suggest the largest one you can stand and manage. I'd give a rule of thumb that if a grown labrador would fit then your grown dog should be fine. We've recycled crates we used for our GSDs and those were nice and roomy. I think we even put Waki's little crate (door open) inside the big one at one point. I am guessing you want one of those nice plastic ones that you can put in your truck bed and camp site. Those are a bit more enclosed and weather proof. If you go that way, consider a pad for the bottom (hopefully your pup won't eat it) and keep some zip ties in the glove box because those little screws holding the 2 halves together have a way of working loose at the worst times.

• Like 1

I agree that getting a large crate is best. We started medium and now that one is in the back of the SUV for her. We got large wire for Ayita with the plastic bottom and put pads in. She slept in it every night until she turned two, then we took the door off. Since it was winter, I left bed and blankies in there. Every morning after going outside, the first indoor activity for her was to drag the bed and blankets out of the crate. Then she was happy to go about her day. Now that we removed the crate, just the bed and blankets remain. she comes back in and flops the bed around a few times, messes up the blankets and she's happy. I figure she does it from instinct. She doesn't want predators knowing where she slept <_ . we also have the original plastic crate and that is in truck now. good news she still small enough to ride comfortably smaller crates.>

• Like 1

Many people block off a portion of a large crate, and then open it up as the pup grows.

• Like 1

Many people block off a portion of a large crate, and then open it up as the pup grows.

That's exactly what we did....twice

• Like 1
A lot depends on space for it in your home and how long you plan to use the crate and if you want to use it in your truck or car. I don't think you can go too big. I'd suggest the largest one you can stand and manage. I'd give a rule of thumb that if a grown labrador would fit then your grown dog should be fine. We've recycled crates we used for our GSDs and those were nice and roomy. I think we even put Waki's little crate (door open) inside the big one at one point. I am guessing you want one of those nice plastic ones that you can put in your truck bed and camp site. Those are a bit more enclosed and weather proof. If you go that way, consider a pad for the bottom (hopefully your pup won't eat it) and keep some zip ties in the glove box because those little screws holding the 2 halves together have a way of working loose at the worst times.

This one would just be for the house at night. The one we have right now is a really nice plastic one. We did put a pad and a blanket down for him that he's actually been good not chewing on. But we are looking to go to a metal more open style crate. He's not allowed on the bed until I get up and leave for work, then he gets up there with the wife and cuddles her until it's time for her to get up.

• Like 4