Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Tahltan X Aidog

I have a little story to tell you.......two females that I have had in the past gave birth under the house.....dug out a little den, and had their pups. Meanwhile I had fixed up what I thought was the "perfect" birthing room IN the house in a quiet corner. After a couple of days and mom dog in under the house, I went and fetched the pups and mom and brought them back into the house. Went off for a couple of hours to do errands, came home and found that mom and pups were gone. I found everyone happy and warm back under the house in their little den. Needless to say a couple of days later I moved them again, this time it stuck, and mom dog didn't move them again. Soooooooo don't be surprised if mom goes HER way to find "HER" safe place ...... sometime in the middle of the night. :lol:

Judy K is absolutely right, it is truly an amazing experience to watch. Enjoy every moment.

I hear that. She has excavated a den under the shed but as she's gotten bigger she doesn't fit as well and seems to have abandoned it. She is now hanging out under the beds. We have a couple with fairly high clearance, but last night she tried to squeeze under the guest room bed which is a low bed and she got stuck. I have no idea when this happened, probably in the middle of the night, but when I got up and walked past the door on the way to make coffee she whined at me and I went in and found her and hauled her out. She hasn't tried that one again. Miscalculation -- I am sure she doesn't realize how big she is now! It will be interesting to see where it actually happens. I've made a few lttile protected spots in a spare room that our 2 year old cannot easily access; she's been sleeping in one of them but still scoping out other options. Husband is getting his knickers in a twist over potential damage to our classic 1970s era carpet, but I'd be delighted if she ruined it !

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No action yet, except for Ursula playing 'beached whale'.

trying that again.

I was talking about that, yesterday, with a friend who was kind enough to let me gush and yammer on about the pups.   And I noticed the pure instinct, too, during the mating. I wondered how much w

Posted Images

ah tobad that would have pretty interesting keeping tab on the little critters glad she doing well

the doppler ultrasound didn't work out, guess it looks for the heart beat about 10 cms below the surface which works for human babies but not dog babies. Oh well.

We can feel puppies moving in her belly though!! So cool.

About one more week to go by my calculations, (maybe 2).

Husband is getting his knickers in a twist over potential damage to our classic 1970s era carpet, but I'd be delighted if she ruined it !

Hahahaha. That is funny.

I'm reading these stories and thinking that they like an enclosed space--a roof over their heads.

Poor girl, stuck under the bed. Oh, the little lady.

Poor girl, stuck under the bed. Oh, the little lady.

I know. I really wish she had raised a ruckus, but she just waited quietly until someone woke up, then she asked for help.

they like an enclosed space--a roof over their heads.

The only thing I would add to that is somewhat private, quiet and cozy. Interesting that when you see the size of a "dug out" den, the sides are high so the pups can't roll out, and there is barely enough room for mom and pups to nurse and be cleaned. Keep a look out. My dogs started looking for a birthing place about a week out of the actual birth.

Oh you are going to have such a great experience.

The only thing I would add to that is somewhat private, quiet and cozy. Interesting that when you see the size of a "dug out" den, the sides are high so the pups can't roll out, and there is barely enough room for mom and pups to nurse and be cleaned. Keep a look out. My dogs started looking for a birthing place about a week out of the actual birth.

Oh you are going to have such a great experience.

Larry purchased an actual whelping box when Shadow was pregnant and she loved it. She actually had the pups in our spare bedroom where she slept. We put quilts and blankets down for her and when she went into labor she layed up there, scrunched them up the way she wanted and delivered. She let me lay by her and Larry was right there in case she needed help. He had helped our wheaton terrier when she delivered. But it truly was an amazing event to watch. Like I said, I cried because it was so overwhelming to watch her and it takes a lot to make me feel that.

I'm getting choked up just reading your post. It got me when you said

scrunched them up the way she wanted
I'm getting choked up just reading your post. It got me when you said

A, it truly is amazing. I really wish you could be there too. It is something you would carry with you forever. Shadow knew it was time and knew how she wanted her kids to arrive. Mother Nature truly is an amazingly tender woman at times -- then there's her wrath.

P.S. We had 14 inches of snow yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14 inches! Where you live must have coined that phrase, "March comes in like a Lion..."

Any news on the Ursula and Sitka pups? I bet she is really feeling like she's got a belly full and can't wait to have those little pups. Oh, the last days of waiting are sooooooooooooo long. Hope mom is doing well.

Yes! I just received this:

Very pregnant Ursula tries to find a comfortable position at the end of a long day.

ursulaclose.jpg

Don't you just want to give her a massage?

Don't you just want to give her a massage?

oh yes, she is getting lots of those! And when we stroke her belly we can feel pups move and stretch and squirm; sometimes we feel little bumps here and there and try to guess what they are -- paws, a back, a head.

so far we have two top contenders for her birthing bed....either the box that we fixed up for her, or under Clara's bed. we'll see...

She is needing to go out to pee about a dozen times a day starting very early in the morning.

Any day now!

And when we stroke her belly we can feel pups move and stretch and squirm...

Eeeeewww. I guess she's taking it all in stride. No wonder you mom's are so tough. <_>

It was hilarious yesterday, she decided to go for a dip in a lake (she seems to find any weather where the water is not frozen is good swimming weather). When she got out, she shook her head and neck, then she shook her back end, and nothing in the middle moved....too big!

She also lies on the floor stretched out, arching her back so that she has room to breathe with that big belly.

Awwww poor little lady.

So cute.

Good luck Ursula!

We all are with you.. *hug* *skritches*

Andrea writes me that it won't be long, now. The due date is any time this week. She is looking pretty full.

Andrea writes me that it won't be long, now. The due date is any time this week. She is looking pretty full.

Tomorrow is Ursula's Official Due Date (and Ursula and Sitka's 9 week anniversary, aaawww!) I have been taking her temperature daily. I have read that when it drops below 99 she will give birth within 24 hours. Today it was 99.5 which is lower than the 100-101 it has been so far.

She is so big, she needs help getting into the car. Every once in awhile she forgets she's pregnant and takes off running, only to stop after a few strides and groan. At night she moans when she rolls over and changes position. It's pretty cute, and gets her extra pats and cuddles. She is shedding like crazy, and has lost all of her tummy hair except for a nice soft peach fuzz.

Kim says from the photo of her it looks like a 4-5 pup litter. I think that would be a perfect size. Lord knows Ursula and I would have a hard time with an 18 pup litter!

O.K.....making a blind bet:

Miz M.....5 pups....delivery date on April 6, 2011. Time of delivery start 4:25 A.M.

Anyone want to place their bets?

If you do, copy paste previous bets to yours to keep it all together. :D

Miz M.....5 pups....delivery date on April 6, 2011. Time of delivery start 4:25 A.M.

If you do, copy paste previous bets to yours to keep it all together. :D

Star-.....5 pups....delivery date on April 3, 2011. Time of delivery start around 2 A.M.

If you do, copy paste previous bets to yours to keep it all together. biggrin.gif

Star-.....5 pups....delivery date on April 3, 2011. Time of delivery start around 2 A.M.

Allison....4 pups...delivery date April 1st, starting around 2 A.M.

(Hope it's 5, but when I close my eyes, I see 4 pups. April Fool's Day would be a great birthday.)

(miz molly @ Mar 30 2011 @ 09:02 PM)

If you do, copy paste previous bets to yours to keep it all together. biggrin.gif

(Starghoti @ Mar 31 2011, 03:15 AM)

Allison....4 pups...delivery date April 1st, starting around 2 A.M.

(Hope it's 5, but when I close my eyes, I see 4 pups. April Fool's Day would be a great birthday.)

Andrea is hoping for six pups, born April 2 in the early morning, say, all done by 5 AM.

(And hoping that I am not stuck in the emergency department on call that night!)

I was leaning towards the 2nd, too. I think you have the jump on us. Good luck, because I see we have you awake all this week!

I think that it will be 4 pups born April 4 at 4 a.m.

I am not superstitious am I?