Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Goodbye Pepsi

Hi Kim,

Saturday night after we got home from a trial where Pepsi had an exceptional day of runs, I noticed he was a bit sluggish. He usually has a little muscle soreness after a long day of trial courses, so I didn't think much of it. Sunday morning he wouldn't eat his breakfast, so I thought he might have a stomach bug and took him to the 24 hour vet on the way to the trial in Turner. I thought they would confirm that it was just something he ate, but an x-ray confirmed the worst possible. He was hemorrhaging from tumors on his spleen and around his liver. They said they could go in and remove the spleen, but chances were he would die on the operating table and most likely the tumors would prove to be malignant with little hope of surviving past a few weeks even with treatment. I couldn't believe there was no warning or signs as he had regular checkups and had just recently had his annual checkup and boosters.

No one could believe it by the way he ran just one day before, that he would be gone the next morning. The attached pictures were taken on Saturday, Feb. 11th and he was gone Sunday morning, Feb. 12th.

Here is what my agility friend who is also a vet said about it:

"I have seen way too much hemangiosarcoma in my career. It was the subject I did my senior presentation about in vet school. I even lost my own dog to it (heart based). You could have been taking him in for diagnostics as often as you wanted and still it could have sneaked up on you. By the time we even know it is there, it has spread. I'm sure it doesn't feel like it right now, but you did the kindest thing you could do in letting him go."

Still doesn't make it any easier. I can't look at anything in the house that doesn't remind me of him. It seems very quiet without his big personality, and Dolly (our little Chihuahua mix) and Tehya (our other AIDog) miss their playmate. He was always very gentle even with the smallest of dogs. Although he was 13 1/2, he had never slowed down and still loved running agility. People at trials and in the neighborhood would ask how old he was and could not believe it when I would tell them. Other than his lighter coat with age, he could still run like the wind and leap over bushes and retaining walls from a stand still.

J. Padbury – Tigard OR

pepsi1.jpgpepsi2.jpgpepsi3.jpgpepsi4.jpgpepsi5.jpgpepsi6.jpgpepsi7.jpgpepsi8.jpgpepsi9.jpgpepsi10.jpgpepsi11.jpgpepsi13.jpgpepsi14.jpgpepsi15.jpgpepsi16.jpgpepsi17.jpgpepsi18.jpg

• Like 10

So sad I lost my last to a quick cancer --it guts you but when I look at that beautiful dog he looks so happy. Peace be with you.

• Like 4

So sorry for your loss of this beautiful, amazing dog. He will always be with you....

• Like 2

What a strong dog who loved life and did what he loved!!!!

I am sorry for your loss. My prayers of support are with all of you.

• Like 3

Every now an then a dog steps into your life and changes it for ever......The AIdog does that every time. I'm so sorry for your loss of such a wonderful friend.

• Like 4

What an amazing being. I am amazed at this story and heartbroken over it at the same time. I cannot imagine the loss you must be feeling because I think I speak for the entire board community when I say we're all heartbroken over the loss of Pepsi. The look in his eyes betrayed no clue whatsoever of the trouble lurking within. The fact that he was doing what he loved to do to nearly his very last breath is a lesson for us all. I'm so sorry for your loss but his spirit will be with you forever...what a blessing it was for you to share his life.

• Like 8

I don't think I can express it any better than those who have already spoken but still wanted to say so anyway. So...so sorry. As China said, the fact that he continued to do what he loved is wonderful! He, like my Lucky, went on his own terms.

I've had Heaven explained to me this way: It's interwoven with us and our world, but at the same time like a one-way mirror. So, he can see you and is close to you, even if you can't see him. Just know that he is close and loves you!

Blessings to you and your special Pepsi.

• Like 5

OMG, Julie I can't believe what I am reading. I haven't been on IIDOBA for a long time. When I saw Pepsi's picture I knew in an instant it was Hawk's uncle Pepsi. He had gotten lighter in color over the years, but we all do as age creeps up on us.

Words cannot express what you must be going through right now. You and your family are in my prayers. It's scary to think what can happen to our loving companions. Our Hawk turned 12 on Christmas. He still runs as if he is a pup. People can't believe his age. I am sure you got that with Pepsi as well.

Always, Lisa and Hawk

• Like 4

So sorry to hear about Pepsi Julie...It's so hard to loose our kids...time will heal your heart...They are all so dear to us. Take care. He will be with you ALWAYS!

• Like 1

So sorry to hear about this. It looks/sounds like you had a great life together.

• Like 1