Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Meet Kooskooskie!

I got a pup. This is my third AIDog.

You know how Kim is always telling us, "It's not about the color, it is about the personality."

Well, third dog in, I know to my very core what that means.

At the Gathering, Kim introduced me to this pup. He said she was right for me and Sitka. I wasn't ready; he knew that, I knew that, my husband REALLY knew that. The color was nothing that I was hoping for, so that made it easy to say no.

But over the few days that I was there for the Gathering, I watched this pup, and her little personality so engaged me.

I went home and thought I had moved on, but the things I saw her do and the way she was with her siblings, her food, her play, I just could not let it go. I felt she would fit with our family so perfectly, that I could not get her out of my mind. Kim was right. She was our match. It was her personality that was the thing!

I drove 9 and1/2 hours down to Kim's place on Monday. I did wonder if I was fooling myself, but it took only a few minutes in the fading light, for me to be totally sure. She is for us.

We made a quick turn around, 9 and 1/2 back. That wasn't easy for either of us. She was a trooper.

More to follow, but now it's time to play!

• Like 8

When it's right, it's right! :)

Have fun, and keep us updated on the both of them!

so glad for your family!!!!!!! :wub:

• Like 2

Just saw the pics of you BOTH at SDK or the Gathering,

she is ADORABLE! SOOOO CUTE! WHAT A FACE :D

Happy Accidents- First Night:

Things could not have been more magical if Steven Spielberg had written the script. They would have been more sappy, but not more magical.

First, I bring a crate that was for the size she was three weeks ago. She can fit in there, but it's not great. She is not happy, and neither was I. We set out and she is trying to make the best of it, but as soon as we get to Grants Pass (30mi ?), I stop at the first place and get her a larger crate.

She was so pleased she never made another peep. In her mind, I had helped her. She did not see that it was my fault, she only saw that I fixed it.

Good. We were off to a splendid start.

9 and a half hours of driving...

She was quiet until our next gas stop. It was just off the highway, and as I watched her try to pee, I realized she had never heard that much noise. There was even someone towing a vehicle, where a piece fell off and started sparking and screeching. Poor thing. She peed, and shaking, was glad to go back into the crate.

Good for me again. I had let her pee, saved her and provided a safe haven.

She slept until the next gas stop. 6 hours into it, she wasn't really happy to go back into the crate, but I felt we should press on. Gave her the Himalayan chew (thank you Felix), and she entertained herself until she fell asleep again.

By the time we got home it was dark.
I went in, hugged Sitka, and tried to get him out in the back. Not easy with his nose stuck to me, smelling every inch of clothing.
I locked him out back (he can open the door), and brought the young lady, in her crate, through the house and out into the back yard.
I put the crate on the grass and opened the door. I know she had to pee, but it took 20 minutes before she came out of the crate. Sitka was so excellent. He stayed about 5 feet back. He would come in and take a sniff, but then fall back, while I continued to coax her out into the yard. He was such a gentleman. I was very proud.
China, as she was halfway out of the crate, I could not resist saying, "Hello Junior Squint". And then I laughed out loud.
I kept her on a leash that night. It was dark and I was unsure. When she was empty, we went inside, leash off, to check out the kitchen. She attacked Sitka from under the chairs, she tried stairs for the first time, and then I was pretty sure that was enough for one day as she seemed overwhelmed. She happily retreated into her crate while I made some food. Oh yeah, she liked that. And with her belly full (and one more trip out to the yard), we put the crate by the bed and called it a night.
  • Like 8

I'm a beginner at this vid thing and it probably needs some editing, but here she is at day 2. You can see they are becoming friends.

• Like 6

She has really settled in hasn't she. Sitka appears to enjoy his little friend too.

• Like 1

This is day 3. The upstair floor has been breached. She goes up, but she does not yet come down. I have to go up and get her, over and over again. She has started to run around the house like a maniac. Apparently, the kit gloves are off and the "Tough Love" begins NOW.

Day one: She sleeps until 5:30am. Goes out and empties on cue. Try out wood floors and rugs. Investigate rooms in the house. So funny to watch her trying the different surfaces. I think I have mentioned that Sitka was hiding his milk bones. I had no idea how many until Kooskie started finding them. Sitka is annoyed.

I had to crate her while I worked on the fence.

fencebreach2.jpg

What kind of animal bends up the tines on the fence to get through?! Oh wait, lot's of them--possums, raccoons, etc. So Sitka and I worked on the fence until we were satisfied. Back out to enjoy the back yard--the biggest kennel she has ever seen. She loved it.

Another happy accident: When I was prepared to leave the ranch, and I went to get her out of her kennel, Kim was watering down the grass. I have seen him do this many times. So while I was worried about Kooskie and possible parvo in our backyard, I remembered Kim watering down the grass. So I started the hose which little Kooskie had seen Kim do a million times. She was not scared, and followed me, sitting between my feet, as I moved around the yard. It was wonderful. We do it every day.

Guests at 3pm. She slays them with her cuteness and charm.

I was pretty sure I started out with two shoes:

shoeincrate.jpg

I guess she is a collector.

Day two: She would have slept longer, but Sitka decides we should all get up at 4:30am and play. This day has been mostly about them learning to play and be friends. You saw the video. It was worth the early rise. However, she continues to find his hidden treasure. She was sniffing at a closet door, one seldom used. I said, "Hey there's nothing in there." But when I opened the door, there was a milkbone. Sitka had opened the door, hid the treat, and then closed the door. He was not happy, but we press on.

We have had a great day. The schedule is working. She has had no accidents at all. We simply do not allow it. Wake up--go out. Play for a bit--go out. Take a nap--go out.

3pm, more guests. I am trying desperately to get her on a schedule before a labor day party, that starts....you guessed it....at 3pm on Monday. You are all invited. (Oh geez, please let me know if you are planning to attend.) Once again, she was so calm and lovely that she melts everyone's heart. By the time they leave it is almost dinnertime:

dinnertime2.jpg

Bedtime. I take the crate up to the bedroom, open the door:

ballsincrate.jpg

There were 5 balls in there.

• Like 8

From the video it looks like Sitka will let her rule him. ;)

Then I read on and she's finding his hiding spots and collecting things - oh she's FUN! :D

Thanks for the invite - sorry I will miss :(

Great posting! !!!

ahhh, puppy zoomies ..... fond memories now :wub:

The party was so much fun. Lot's of people, musicians, dancing....

She got tired and took herself to bed.

Everyone was impressed. She sat for a treat. and charmed all who met her.

• Like 3

I want to say that I missed you all at the party, but since we went through every plate we own, I guess it is good that I did not give you adequate time to get here.

Next time.

Yesterday Kooskie learned to come down a section of the stairs. So I let her run that bit each time. My mistake came when first thing this morning I let her run down that section. She was to the door before me and there was a bit of piddle while she waited for me to catch up and open the door. I should have known better. My fault.

Also today, for the first time, she nosed the back door, to go out and pee. Good girl. Lucky I was there to see it.

The Monks (and many others) recommend that you take a few days off when you get a pup, and I heartily agree. Helping them to establish a routine is the best thing you can do for YOURSELF as well as them. I feed her at the same time each day, and she empties at the same time each day. Helps both of us to win.

The play has started to get faster and longer. Sitka is amazing. He tempers his play and brings it up a notch when she is getting a little too confident. Today they were racing around the yard, she was getting pretty cocky, and he just turned up the heat. She was stopped in her tracks by my feet. So fun to watch.

We have a lot of stairways in our house. When I first came here I got mixed up. It is convoluted at first. She is doing the first layer, but will not come down the highest set. Today after that rousing game of chase, she came inside and started running a track around that first layer. I will try to get a picture. Surely she'll be getting herself down the stairs in no time.

Today is our first vet visit. 2nd set of shots, and puppy wormer. Will let you know how it goes.

9-7.jpg

• Like 8

How could she ever be wicked?

We shall see. Hahahahaha!

Today she decided to try a couple chair legs. Easily redirected to chew sticks.

Vet visit was great. She was more shy than I expected, but very sweet and easy to work with.

• Like 2

Kooskie can get down all the stairs! Life is opening up for us!

• Like 1

Oh, and vet visit went well.

• Like 1

Kooskie can get down all the stairs! Life is opening up for us!

More FUN begins!!!!! :)

Oh, and vet visit went well.

What does she weigh at #weeks?

(more pictures too?????) I just love the light mask, not that I'm biased LOL!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I know I have been remiss. My husband had his vacation and we had a wonderful time.

Everything is better than great. She had her last shots today, so walkies, here we come!

More soon.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...