Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

No, he was actually just trying to turn onto a side trail that we had taken the day before. Funny how they try to set routine even after just one experience.

Now yesterday we DID have a deer shoot across the trail a ways ahead of us... Now that was fun, trying to get them to NOOO, STOP :lol:

• Like 3

Aahahahaha! You are actually using a sled! Please send us a photo of it.

• Like 2

Some pics from today. We lost all our good snow unfortunately, got a couple inches last night but not really enough to make it easy/fun for the dogs. They were good sports about it anyway though.

The sled is one my mother found in the local paper a couple years ago. It's really a treasure - it belonged to an older couple who say it was handmade somewhere in Maine (it is still covered in pencil marks from measurements which I find adds charm), and as near as I can tell it is very, very well made. I am so happy to have it and to be able to put it to use. Mushing dogs has been a lifelong dream of mine, so I am over the moon with this sled and my dogs' success with it!

dogssled.jpgdogshookdnready.jpgsled.jpgreadytorumble.jpg

• Like 5

That is a really long line! and Rune's new harness fits him REALLY well!

We had 1.5 days of cool weather and I was down with a headache. DARN!!!!!!!!! missed a golden opportunity!!!!!!!

That is a gorgeous sled, traditional and perfect. I bet you have some pointers about using something like this. I mean, just hanging on must be a bit of a trick! And controlling the dogs from the back of the sled,...it's not like the scooters where their line is right at your fingertips.

Also, I think we may have your snow.....

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Urban Mushing Update from South Florida:

Winter was a bust. It has been WAY too warm down here. Now this summer is EXTRA HOT and humid and ALL Dogs are shedding OVERTIME!!!!!!

I trained a little bit for pulling yet we never got hooked up to a bicycle or scooter and we did sheep herding twice in the Spring instead.

Coffey is my puller and Tayamni is the one who goes along with it - I don't think she minds it - she just doesn't understand it yet.

However, the weather was not cooperating and Coffey we found out in May that Coffey has Arthritis.

You would never know it, the way he runs and pulls and plays.

So Urban mushing has been put on the sideline, sheep herding too. :unsure:

This does NOT seem to be hereditary - he just played too hard (on his own) as a pup and got some injuries that are now affecting him at 2 yrs old.

Will update in separate topic - want to keep this focused on the Urban Mushing tails/tales !!!!!!

• Like 1

I live in San Diego and the weather here, although nice right now, is a bit too hot for teaching my dogs to pull... even in the evening. Plus the ground is way too hot. I will just take my boys up to the church parking lot across the street from us to work, it's shady and flat. I am so excited to have a dog job for them to work toward. :)

• Like 2