Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Yeah Allison-

I try so hard to remember to notice when Jasper is choosing correctly - often quietly in the background - and let him know.

"Good Choice Son!" said in a loving and supportive tone makes his ears go all soft and he sometimes gives me the knowing/loving grin (that we all are familiar with, I'm sure). He doesn't need a huge show of affection or a cookie for getting it right, just me letting him know is enough.

Have you tried to have her take a "quiet time" with him (you being in the room of course)? Have her whisper to him like she is telling him secrets, or have her make believe that she is reading a book to him, showing the pictures....a game of sorts. They do love to interact with us. This might be calming to both. (Sounds just like grandmotherly advise huh :) ) I have found that whispering to my AID is a wonderful tool. He becomes quiet and alert, waiting for the next communique. Now he often responds better to a whispered communication or command verses a toned voice communication. These dogs are so sensitive.

Just thought of something else. Does she raise her arms around him? This is something that most kids do instinctively around dogs if they want the dog to go away or stop being too close. Have her turn her back to the pup and walk away instead. Have her ignore him til things settle.

Thanks for bringing this point up on the forum.

It's funny that you mentioned reading to him. She is all about writing letters to people and then she brings them to me to read so I had an idea to settle her down quietly on the floor at a comfortable distance from Eddy and I have her read her letters to him. When he is calm and she feels comfortable then she inches forward closer to him. she still hasn't gotten all the way to him but these things take time. So far it's working. As far as raising her hands; she has before at the start but not for a while now. I'm hoping that as they both get older then they will learn to relax around each other. I am definately Eddy's alpha and he listens to me really well for the most part so I have to really be paying 100% attention to him when she is around him. He keeps trying to make eye contact with me to assure himself that he is pleasing me. I just hope that in the future I don't have to be paying attention all the time for them to get along.

It's funny that you mentioned reading to him. She is all about writing letters to people and then she brings them to me to read so I had an idea to settle her down quietly on the floor at a comfortable distance from Eddy and I have her read her letters to him. When he is calm and she feels comfortable then she inches forward closer to him. she still hasn't gotten all the way to him but these things take time. So far it's working. As far as raising her hands; she has before at the start but not for a while now. I'm hoping that as they both get older then they will learn to relax around each other. I am definately Eddy's alpha and he listens to me really well for the most part so I have to really be paying 100% attention to him when she is around him. He keeps trying to make eye contact with me to assure himself that he is pleasing me. I just hope that in the future I don't have to be paying attention all the time for them to get along.

then she inches forward closer to him.

Try having her wait till THE PUP inches closer to her. Give your daughter a treat to give to the pup to entice him to get closer. Have her hold it in a "loose" closed hand so he wants to nudge and lick her hand to get the treat. Then have her open her hand slowly (pup wil still be licking and nudging) in a flat position to give the pup the treat. Repeat, repeat, repeat.....it may take a bit of time, (but probably not) and it will happen. The pup wants acceptance and is willing to do anything for it and truly wants to understand his position in the family. ...observe......entice...... give, and embrace.....it works every time. :) ...no worries!

• 5 years later...
I have a bottle of cayenne pepper JUST for counter surfing! lol

YES how do you use it ?? This counter grazing is getting to be a problem as I need to leave the room occasionally.

I have cats can't put cayenne pepper out on counter. I do use it to discourage digging where I don't want digging.

Coffey was a problem counter surfing and constant "Leave it" and he's goes back to the counter after leaving.

Teaching him "place" on the other side of the room and 'stay' while making food. (work in progress)

Coffey is either finally maturing or something ... it's now been 6 months since he was neutered and he's starting to listen again - he's also a year and half old.

My group trainer told of a trick I didn't end up using but she uses on her Doberman's if they keep counter surfing -

she puts some coins in empty water bottles (maybe 3 bottles) and caps them and ties them about 10 - 12 inches apart and leaves a length of string in front of 1st bottle (to use to tie to food). That first bottle may be a closer to the food object. When dog takes food object, water bottle or bottles will follow as dog pulls away with food and first water bottle will probably hit dog on head others may or may not but noise and first bottle clunk should deter or at least make the dog think twice about stealing food from counter and finally learn the lesson.

Anyway, I didn't try that because he started listening to "Leave it's" at least momentarily - after a gentle submission flip and waiting over him until he relaxed and then let him up - with a good boy and pet. (enough time had passed on the ground so the 'good boy' and petting was about his relaxing).

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks...I read about that avalanche trick but I'm thinking my little knot head would probably like it!! He gets better about *stuff* day by day.....

• Like 1