Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Pet "health" Insurance

Does anyone use or has anyone ever inquired as to how good the 'pet health' insurance really is? I was just wondering if anyone has any info.

Judy K in Michigan

Some are better than others. be very careful, definately read the small print.

The one I have for Shunka looked good until I tried to claim, then it took over 6 months for only a third of the money I paid out. Although I was paying for £7,000 cover for this year, they only paid out on £1000 I had paid for the previous year.

The excess was high, and they only paid out £65 of every £100 after the excess, and only up to £1000. So what I received was £607 and I had paid roughly £2000 (£4000)

One firm refused me insurance as they nothing about this breed.

There are some good firms, but seriously take care.

It seems expensive when these dogs are so very healthy normally, but when you do get a problem it can be pricey. Especially if your dog doesn't keep in the stitches!

I had to take Shunka for another check on a suspect lump, but the vet says it looks just like chip fat (french fry fat) so she thinks it's ok, will know for sure on Monday.

I just did a quick google search of "pet insurance reviews" and "pet insurance scams" and found lots of sites that were sponsored by the insurance companies and vets and then some sites like yelp with discussions, and very few negative comments. The searches were very informative.

Karen

• 2 years later...
I just did a quick google search of "pet insurance reviews" and "pet insurance scams" and found lots of sites that were sponsored by the insurance companies and vets and then some sites like yelp with discussions, and very few negative comments. The searches were very informative.

Karen

It's been almost three years since this thread was last visited. Perhaps my search of our forum missed some more recent conversations.

With two dogs, we're wondering about getting pet insurance for them.

Trupanion, VPI, ASPCA, Embrace, Pet First/Best/Plan. Even AAA offers pet insurance through Healthy Paws Pet Insurance.

VPI says they are America's #1 Most Trusted. Another is recommended by 9 out of 10 Vets. Another says it has no hidden exclusions and 90% payout....

Anyone here with recent unbiased experience?

It's been almost three years since this thread was last visited. Perhaps my search of our forum missed some more recent conversations.

With two dogs, we're wondering about getting pet insurance for them.

Trupanion, VPI, ASPCA, Embrace, Pet First/Best/Plan. Even AAA offers pet insurance through Healthy Paws Pet Insurance.

VPI says they are America's #1 Most Trusted. Another is recommended by 9 out of 10 Vets. Another says it has no hidden exclusions and 90% payout....

Anyone here with recent unbiased experience?

I have no 'experience' thank heavens- but my guys have PetFirst through the HomeAgain folks that cover their microchips. Accident/Illness is covered,t but no regularly scheduled stuff like shots. And it is a reimburse style, not a vet-bill style.