Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Sitka Shadow Singer

Yea, photos! He's looking great, and it's nice to see coyo, too. Thanks for posting them.

Allison,

the expression on Sitka as he tugging on your husbands beard is priceless.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.zsql.com/images/cutenesssm.jpg

And this one looks like Groucho Marks :Bwahahaha: .....I am really dating myself. Anyway you are getting some great photos with TONS of personality.

Haha! Groucho Marks... I'll think of that, forever.

I've been working on a report. Look forward to hearing your advice.

First of all, little Sitka is doing great. Probably, like the rest of your pups, the biting phase is on the way out, and he is able to stay in the house alone, for short periods of time.

As I think I mentioned, our house is not too conducive to house training. The poor little guy has several flights of stairs to navigate, in order to reach the outdoors each morning. So early on, we were carrying him. A couple weeks ago, he started doing the stairs, and that helped tremendously.

Then I made my first mistake. I relaxed my schedule, glad to get back to my own routine. He, however, was still keeping to the schedule, even though I wasn't. I got a bit frustrated, but then realized, that it was my fault, and not his. He still had not learned how to tell me that he needed to go out, but was quietly scooting down the stairs while I wasn't paying attention.

So back to the schedule, we went, and soon he was able to trot up and down those stairs, instead of that little two-legged puppy hop. Another hurdle passed, and he has not had any accidents, since then. He is still very quiet about his needs, although he has learned to ring a bell, and it's simply up to me to keep paying attention.

stairs.JPG

During this time, we had some people over, and a friend saw his little collar, and thought it was so very cute. I had explained that he hadn't had it on yet, and thought that would suffice, but before long I hear,"Arrrr, Arrrr, Arrr!"

I come in to see the little guy scooting and rolling around under the furniture, screaming bloody murder. Yes, you guessed it, she had put the collar on him.

So for the last three weeks I have been trying to get him used to this collar, but he is freaked out, over it. I started by making it something fun--he gets to go in the truck when he wears it. At first this seemed to be helping, but then it turned, and created the opposite effect. He acts like he's got a cone on, and cannot walk or move, and whines.

So once I saw that it was not working, I took my own advice, and tried something new. I put it on, day before yesterday, and have left it on him. He can eat, he'll take treats, he forgets about it occasionally, but still acts paralyzed. Especially first thing in the morning, when he's got to get down two flights of stairs to pee. I had to start carrying him again.

It is getting better, and so I will stick with it, but it seems kind of cruel, and not the way I would have preferred the collar training to start. If any of you have some anecdotes that might ease my conscience, or help, I would love to hear them.

Coyo's collar slips on and off easily, so we have been showing him that.

Now on to my second mistake. Coyo started barking....a lot.

"Here he comes!"

"There he goes!"

"Don't touch my feet!"

"He's on the bed!"

"He's moving!"

"Someone's on the porch!"

"I hear a dog in the distance!"

"He's digging!"

You get the idea. Three days ago, I said to him, if you don't stop that, you're going to get hoarse. Two days ago, he lost his voice, and sounded like a squeak toy.

I used to be able to say, "No Barking", and he would stop. No more. Once again, I thought I had better try something else. He was learning to bark right after I'd say "No barking"! So, I thought of all the times he has laid beside me while I was ill, and I decided to treat him as though he was ill, and needed special attention.

I kept him apart, and quiet, and kept saying "easy", when he would try to bark. His voice is returning, and I think he is coming around about this barking thing.

I also, have started being very careful to be sure he always gets treats, food, greetings, eye contact,...before the pup. I did not realize, (you know they are so cute), that I had been looking at the pup, when I used to look at him.

Also, the pup was so wiggly, I'd feed him in his crate, and then put Coyo's dish down, just to give him some peace. But now I make a big deal out of feeding Coyo first, and I am trying to notice all the tiny ways that life has changed for Coyo, and reinstate those special things that he and I shared.

Coyo does, obviously, enjoy playing with the pup. Tails are a wagging! The daily tug-of-war has been an amazing education. I see Coyo teaching him manners, hierarchy, and a number of lessons through this game.

I feel that when the pup is able to walk in public, that will make a big difference. Coyo will take the lead, as always, and things will right themselves.

Again, any advice or thoughts are appreciated.

bones.JPG

I'm on the way out the door so am just posting real quick, one thing.

About the whole "who goes first" thing, I totally get it. The older dog gets short shrift for quite awhile, and then I think we might go overboard at first trying to make up for it.

We never fed Danza in her crate, so I'm not sure how this can apply, but we made the dogs each work for the food thing a la Cesar Milan, which determined the food order all on its own, and still does. Whoever sit-stays and waits for the food and is calm and ready gets it, and it is almost always Danza who goes first if they don't go at the same time. But Roscoe only has himself to blame for that. He's a hog.

If you can modify this somehow for Coyo, it would be good for him, since he'd probably do better than Roscoe and he could show Stika up and feel good about it.

Now to go pick up the human kid.

OK, I have another minute and another thought, this one about the collar.

Is his collar OK? Is it too tight (not likely, I know), too jangly, too stiff, or otherwise objectionable? Are there distracting tags hanging from it? Can you switch to a simple ribbon for awhile to get him used to the feeling of something on his neck, and graduate to a collar later? If it is one of those collars that has a slidey chain at the front, maybe the noise bothers him. It is something specific. Danza could not leave the tags on her collar alone - she bit them in half and I had to get her a collar with her name and our number embroidered on it in case she got lost. She's outgrown that, and now has a name tag (a really sturdy one, just in case). She is very attached to her collar and gets upset when it is off, and can't wait until I put it back on, it is the weirdest thing.

Coyo is the same about his collar. After a bath, or having it off, he is asking to have it replaced. I was surprised, but do love it.

In the last 36 hours many things have changed. These dogs are so interesting and fun. They really rise and respond to stimuli.

I'll write more tomorrow. Too tired, now. Great dogs.

you know Karen and I have said this before when Snake is out in open or wooded areas he is very much at home and is a whole different dog at home he shuts down and would rather crawl in the corner of the couch we just have people over lateley to meet Malachi and they could not believe he was the same dog cause at the park they call him wiley coyote he runs around like a crazy dog happy as all

These pups all sound gorgeous! I am so envious! We now take Shunka and Holly down to the river bank every morning for a 3 - 4 mile walk, they run free in the fioelds along the bank - rabbits!

I have a look to see what birds are about, we have egrets, herons, ducks and other waders and loads of skylarks. It's lovely on a good morning, but it is is so open when it is cold and wet1

The dogs don't mind, they will go as far as we wish, Shunka rolled the other day, the tide has been very high and it left a lot of muddy sticky sludge on the bank, guess who needed a bath! me too when I had finished!

Liz, that does sound beautiful, minus the sludge, that is. Say hello to Mike for me.

Well, yesterday was like a new day for us. Seems that trying something, almost anything different, gets a response.

I had meant to tell you that when I got frustrated after dropping the house training schedule, Coyo swooped in and rushed the little guy down to the kennel. He never uses that anymore, so after those initial few days when the pup arrived, he was just letting the pup have it to himself, and waiting upstairs for us. But now he's acting the big brother, and of course, little brother follows him without hesitation.

Also, it was another glorious Spring day, yesterday, and I continued work on some garden beds. The brothers came out and stayed all day with me, and it was like old times-- silent. I could have cried from happiness.

Every now and then I'd call to one or the other of them, that I could not see, and up would pop a head.

Coyo seems much happier, too. Those few changes made the difference for him. Sitka, also, is challenging him less, and appears to accept his place....for now, at least.

twoboys2.JPG

I can't help but notice that Sitka lags behind some of your pups. I think he's just smaller. He recently jumped onto the bed for the first time, and was quite proud of himself.

His new game is to run full bore through the house, jump onto the leather footstool, slide across it, to land on the other side.

Oh! The collar! Kim said the same thing you did, K, that I might try a light string. The collar is very loose, very light, and by the time I asked for ideas, he was already coming through it.

So yesterday morning, he could not walk....because he had the collar around his neck. I carried him downstairs, as before, to the kennel. I continued to distract him with fun, which works very well, and so did Coyo. Then mid-morning, before we went out to work, he started to whine, again, and roll onto his back. So I took the collar off. 15 minutes later, I put it back on, no hassle, no struggle, and that seems to have been the end of it, more or less.

Fingers crossed. It might come up again, when the leash is attached, but I am counting on Coyo to distract and engage him when we take that first walk.

I am glade to hear that coyo has taken big brother its a great thing towatch snake actually got a little pertective toward MAlachi one time visit to the farm hackles up growling it was owsome . Yesterday I took Malcahi and Snake to the farm we met bob and spirit Snakes Aunt she had cabin fever and there was bo place good for her to run so he brought her to the farm it was a beautiful site to see snake and spirit run through the feild theses are so awsome full blast It just makes me more anxiuos to see Malachi when he gets bigger I do not have him off leash dont trust him not to pick up ona sent and follow to many deer fox rabbits . maybe its my insecuities. but I did let theleash go and we played fetch with a ball Malachi love that game small steps I am going to put Malachi in puppy class's our neighbor hood pet store is startingthem up for 35 dollars it might help with distractions cause mal get distracted very easly ,Allison sitka is not behind Malachi cant even jump on the bed stika has been ahead of him as far as those types of thing go malachi colors are changing so much every day he looks more like snake how funny is that except for the face and being a little darker I am curious to get papers back from kim to see who his relatives are does anyone know if shasta white or cream in color?? well that my updates OH one thing On yesterdays adventure at the farm Malachi found a deer antler that had been shed none of the others even saw it walked right passed . go figure haha brought it home as a trophy

Liz, that does sound beautiful, minus the sludge, that is. Say hello to Mike for me.

Well, yesterday was like a new day for us. Seems that trying something, almost anything different, gets a response.

I had meant to tell you that when I got frustrated after dropping the house training schedule, Coyo swooped in and rushed the little guy down to the kennel. He never uses that anymore, so after those initial few days when the pup arrived, he was just letting the pup have it to himself, and waiting upstairs for us. But now he's acting the big brother, and of course, little brother follows him without hesitation.

Also, it was another glorious Spring day, yesterday, and I continued work on some garden beds. The brothers came out and stayed all day with me, and it was like old times-- silent. I could have cried from happiness.

Every now and then I'd call to one or the other of them, that I could not see, and up would pop a head.

Coyo seems much happier, too. Those few changes made the difference for him. Sitka, also, is challenging him less, and appears to accept his place....for now, at least.

twoboys2.JPG

I can't help but notice that Sitka lags behind some of your pups. I think he's just smaller. He recently jumped onto the bed for the first time, and was quite proud of himself.

His new game is to run full bore through the house, jump onto the leather footstool, slide across it, to land on the other side.

Oh! The collar! Kim said the same thing you did, K, that I might try a light string. The collar is very loose, very light, and by the time I asked for ideas, he was already coming through it.

So yesterday morning, he could not walk....because he had the collar around his neck. I carried him downstairs, as before, to the kennel. I continued to distract him with fun, which works very well, and so did Coyo. Then mid-morning, before we went out to work, he started to whine, again, and roll onto his back. So I took the collar off. 15 minutes later, I put it back on, no hassle, no struggle, and that seems to have been the end of it, more or less.

Fingers crossed. It might come up again, when the leash is attached, but I am counting on Coyo to distract and engage him when we take that first walk.

Pull my finger!

Nice call Karen. I laughed so hard when I saw that, and am still laughing.

I am glade to hear that coyo has taken big brother its a great thing towatch snake actually got a little pertective toward MAlachi one time visit to the farm hackles up growling it was owsome . Yesterday I took Malcahi and Snake to the farm we met bob and spirit Snakes Aunt she had cabin fever and there was bo place good for her to run so he brought her to the farm it was a beautiful site to see snake and spirit run through the feild theses are so awsome full blast It just makes me more anxiuos to see Malachi when he gets bigger I do not have him off leash dont trust him not to pick up ona sent and follow to many deer fox rabbits . maybe its my insecuities. but I did let theleash go and we played fetch with a ball Malachi love that game small steps I am going to put Malachi in puppy class's our neighbor hood pet store is startingthem up for 35 dollars it might help with distractions cause mal get distracted very easly ,Allison sitka is not behind Malachi cant even jump on the bed stika has been ahead of him as far as those types of thing go malachi colors are changing so much every day he looks more like snake how funny is that except for the face and being a little darker I am curious to get papers back from kim to see who his relatives are does anyone know if shasta white or cream in color?? well that my updates OH one thing On yesterdays adventure at the farm Malachi found a deer antler that had been shed none of the others even saw it walked right passed . go figure haha brought it home as a trophy

Hi Linda, we have a deer antlers around too. I call it the "sharing bone" because all my dogs chew on it. The other day my son was here with his 3 month old chocolate lab, and Tolinka brought the "sharing bone" to him and they sat there chewing on it together....at the same time...... go figure. It was a beautiful site to watch them exchange it back and forth, and munch together. Tolinka is amazing with pups and small children. Very gentle.

That is so cool. What an image.

Coyo's brother Bow, has been trained to find antlers. His owner makes knives and uses the antlers for handles.

I thought he would want to chew on teething ring haha but he doesnt LOves the farm though all I have to do is touch the leash and off he goes winning barking

Hi Linda, we have a deer antlers around too. I call it the "sharing bone" because all my dogs chew on it. The other day my son was here with his 3 month old chocolate lab, and Tolinka brought the "sharing bone" to him and they sat there chewing on it together....at the same time...... go figure. It was a beautiful site to watch them exchange it back and forth, and munch together. Tolinka is amazing with pups and small children. Very gentle.

Thats so cool maybe I should send it to him and him make me a knife MAYBE! its a small one 3 pionter

That is so cool. What an image.

Coyo's brother Bow, has been trained to find antlers. His owner makes knives and uses the antlers for handles.

• 2 months later...

I've recently noticed that not-so little singer, Sitka, isn't tracking in much mud anymore. I guess I'll now have to refer to him as "The Artist Formerly Known As Prints".

I've recently noticed that not-so little singer, Sitka, isn't tracking in much mud anymore. I guess I'll now have to refer to him as "The Artist Formerly Known As Prints".

I love your posts, they make me laugh. Thanks :Bwahahaha:

You are so funny! This is a good one!!!!

Hope Allison finds you as funny as we do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JudyK

• 2 weeks later...

Little Sitka is growing and changing. He is just starting to lift his leg. I don't know why this should be so fun for me, but it is. He also caught one of those mini-tennis balls, three times. His first catch in the air. I also noticed that he started to use his front legs to funnel the ball, the same way Coyo uses them to catch the frisbee.

This morning, I felt the tiniest lick on my elbow--a good-morning kiss. He is still a slug-a-bed. Thank goodness!

Little Sitka is growing and changing. He is just starting to lift his leg. I don't know why this should be so fun for me, but it is. He also caught one of those mini-tennis balls, three times. His first catch in the air. I also noticed that he started to use his front legs to funnel the ball, the same way Coyo uses them to catch the frisbee.

This morning, I felt the tiniest lick on my elbow--a good-morning kiss. He is still a slug-a-bed. Thank goodness!

I just love to watch them develop. I feel so proud. Lola caught her first frisbee the other day. I have a small gummy frisbee that I tossed to her from like 5' away. I then increased the distance. She totally got it, and then lost interest.

:Bwahahaha: :Bwahahaha: :Bwahahaha: how cute Mal like to play fetch withthe balls he is getting so big everyone that see's him then finds out how old he is say boy he 's a big boy 39lbs and 20/21 inches at the back he is as tall as Snake and Still growing HELP!!!!!! :Bwahahaha: he is also a licker he ia always licking my arms and he loves my feet but it tickles his new thing is in the morning Snake jumps on the bed rolls over for morning belly rubs now Malachi does it and I think it tickles him cause he laughs yes laughs it fun to watch and he has to bite something at the same time he is my clown

he is my clown

I know just what you mean.