Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Lil' Liliko'i Pineki

So I'm sitting here working on learning gotomeeting software (online presentations and such) and the dog gets a wild hair to jump up in my lap at the exact moment I'm testing a newly installed web cam!

There was a minute of snuggle, then....the look (which wasn't really a look...it was more 'Boy, your breath smells interesting!).

what.jpg

Then, because we've become mutually dependent on tormenting one another I blew on her head...just enough to tickle her ears.

up2_.jpg

at which point she slammed her head into my face and ground it in nice & tight!

Up_.jpg

Up3_.jpg

Goofy dog....she'll get this weird separation anxiety thing from time to time.

Today's episode began when she who must be obeyed, her royal highness, the queen of Julieland, indicated that she is headed out to conduct the business of the realm and little one knows the drill so she'll come and defend me from having to be indentured into service to the queen.

This dog is a riot.

• Like 4
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hiya there! It's me, Lili.... I just came back from the park where we played with upholstery dog. Don't know that dog's name but Big Alph calls her upholstery dog. Something about the dog's c

Julie's Brother Jim and family live within 20 minutes of Garden of the Gods so that is certainly a plan of action on this trip. We're headed to Canyonlands today and Arches national park tomorrow but

Bite his butt & yell in his face!! Worked for me     You got a Ball? Really? I love ball. I got nine! One's a orange football....that one makes me mad & I growl at it because it don't

Posted Images

Yep, Tolinka will get partially into my lap while I am doing my business on the computer, then place a paw ever so gently on my computer key board telling me its time for play.....silly dog always wins. How can I say no when he asks so nice. :wub:

• Like 1

she who must be obeyed.....

Hahahaha. This is what we call our Parrot. A fan of Rumpole I take it?

• Like 1

Uncanny how much she and Waki are alike. Little cats. When your pup comes I look forward to the stories of how is it that two dogs can have such different personalities and yet totally do twinspeak? Also hair on fire.

• Like 1

Chinatola,

Is the snow melting yet? I hope Spring comes for you soon!

I find the same thing from your stories Sherab...it's really eerie sometimes when you post stories about him, I can totally see Lili in that situation behaving in exactly the same manner. Odd but cool too. The pup thing is exciting...can't wait really.

Denise, yes, it's starting to melt off pretty good now. Except today of course, it's 28 so what's there is still there tomorrow at least. Supposed to jump into the mid forties during the middle of the week but there's a potential for more snow (which isn't all that weird actually, having seen a recent historical map with snow events in late March highlighted. It's happened in 99 of the last 120 winters (or some such)) so although we're all pretty tired of it it seems that we could get some more before it's all said and done for the season.

Edited by Chinatola
  • Like 1

The temperature swings were always bad for me when I lived up North. Oh that and 'Cabin Fever'. I hope you are not in an area that floods easily. I'm afraid this year's abundance of snow everywhere will bring more Spring floods. I hope the water goes where needed.

Same goes for everyone with this abundance of snow this year!

Some one could make a ton of $$$$$$$ if they figured out how to send the snow / water to California....we're dying of thirst out here. :(

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So, you know the old saying, 'life has a way of throwing curve balls at you'?

I've gotten an interesting curve ball...

Came down with gout over the last year or so and had a major flareup followed by several months of negligible issues. Naturally, being the flawed species that we are I thought my gout problem was gone (or at least at bay) then... bam! Can't walk for the last week and a half! Unbelievable.

On top of that my Doctor throws in the towel over this crazy Obamacare nonsense so I have to find a new Doctor that is 'in network'. Needless to say that whole process is a major pain in the _______ (insert body part here).

As I'd mentioned before we've had a pretty brutal winter but it appears at least that the worst is behind us and today dawned a sunny and nice mid 60's day here in Chicago. Since I'm on the mend with some new meds that my new Doc prescribed I thought I'd go test the foot out in the backyard with sleepyhead, who has had a rather light exercise workload in recent months.

She's 34 pounds now!! OMG! (I remember posting here a few weeks after we got her about my excitement that she'd reached double digits at 10 Lbs!!)

I went looking for her.....she was napping (again) on the bed.

It's nice out!.jpg

No, seriously, it is. It's about 60 and sunny. C'mon!

c'mon you're kiddin' me, right.jpg

Last time it was this.jpg

I'm not kidding. Get up...let's go!!

Ooo it is nice.jpg

See? I told you! Whaddaya wanna do?

what was that.jpg

What was what?

you wanna play.jpg

Yea, we can play! Where is it?

see it.jpg

Let's go!!

go!.jpg

overshot.jpg swinging back around.jpg gotcha.jpg comin'.jpg on the way.jpg hoppy skippy.jpg I brought it back, happy.jpg all the way back.jpg

this is the first chance we've had to play in the yard in a long time. We've had some decent walks (before my flare up of gout that is) but this was the first stretch of the yard legs.

that was fun!.jpg

This is also the first time that she's consistently returned the mini Frisbee that we were given by the local feed shop. She's a celebrity at the shop and the owner gives out toys once in a while. She got this little green Frisbee and you'd think it was her offspring! She sleeps with it...carries it around the house, argues in a most agitated way with it and of course it is the primary zoomie partner in crime. She's always been retrieve challenged...she'll give you a few but then she feels reciprocity is in order and you should go get it once in a while too, you know? Today was the first time that she actually retrieved every throw...well, until that last one that she just turned to look at me as if to say, 'your turn'. Goofy dog.

Edited by Chinatola
  • Like 1

C, I'm sorry to hear about the Gout. Hope it gets better fast.

Waki makes that exact face in picture #2. I think I mentioned he got a bit "prosperous" this winter but as soon as it got "hot" here it's like a switch went off. He's slimming down nicely. When puppy #2 comes all you will have to do is sit on the deck.

Well, there's always this:

But you will need 2 more dogs.

How cool is that thing!!

2nd pic is just like mooka when you wake him up,thank god we are in the double digits here in toronto,and mooka does the same thing with what is left of my husbands running shoe,and when i go up stairs he will run around the main floor looking for it and bring it up with us then back down when we come down he is such a little goof boy but we love him anyway

and boy since the snow and ice have left us mooka has dug a hole big enough that i cant see the front half of him lol

P1100043.JPG

• Like 2

Lili is such a Lovely Girl. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So, here's the morning routine...with my son Nick and herself....this time on the couch. This goes on about 5-6 minutes each morning after he wakes up.

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0158.jpg

oh yea.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like a whole lotta love going on. :wub: what a great way to start the day.

• Like 1

She is just soaking it all UP!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Squint is in heaven!

We finally received our Peoples Soviet Republic of North Eastern Illinois authorization & permit card in the mail for our local dog park (it's no wonder that Illinois is broke considering it's taken 217 months to receive this particular little piece of plastic....actually it's only been two months but c'mon!)

Our first visit was about a week ago over the weekend. She was a bit off put at first, sticking close to my side and generally keeping forward motion at all times.

As the week progressed (& the weather cooperated which is uncharacteristic this time of year) she became more and more relaxed and excited to go to the park.

She met Albie at the park. Albie is a friendly border collie who has become rather smitten....

Albie is in love.

Lili is annoyed

The other dog is named Tippy. Until recently, I'm told, Tippy was Albie's lady friend of choice. Tippy is non-too-pleased with Albie's attention being diverted to Liliko'i

Lili is still annoyed.

Edited by Chinatola
  • Like 1

More Albie time!!

• 1 month later...

Well, it appears that the universe is conspiring against my little dog.

Her luxating patella has gotten significantly worse over the last few months and was a daily occurrence up until last week when we put her on a sort of restricted plan of movement.

We took her to a new vet back in the early part of this year and met a new doctor named Analisa Kelly who was very nice and had a great ‘bedside’ manner. Lili just loved her. She discovered the loose patella problem and advised that it might become a chronic problem over the next few months and to keep an eye on her.

In the ensuing few months I picked up one of those chuck-it balls with the throwing handle thingie, you know what I mean. Anyway, talk about obsessed! She wanted nothing to do with anything else except chuck-it ball time. Taking her to the dog park with the chuck-it ball was an exercise in futility because she would just laser focus on the toy and not interact at all with the other dogs. At one point she even became aggressive with another dog because they had broken her concentration by daring to interact with her during Chuck-it time!

That’s when the trouble started to escalate. She’s never had a wailing or gnashing of teeth episode in which she vocalizes pain but it readily apparent that it hurts pretty good because she’ll come to an instant stop and hold her left rear leg in the air and try to straighten it out to reset the patella which sometimes works and sometimes not. She’s only had two instances where she released an audible sound; once was extreme and the other was somewhat less but still pretty intense. She’ll then restrict her own movement for a brief period of time to make sure that she’s actually reset and then its chuck-it time again!

Normally, the most severe pops happen when there’s lateral loads on the leg from sharp turns or stops but as time went on it started to pop even when she wasn’t doing anything strenuous at all. She popped it last night lying under my desk in the office. I have no idea what caused the pop as I wasn’t watching her when it actually happened but a three legged hop indicated that it had popped again.

I’m afraid that chuck-it time has exacerbated this problem and made the whole situation worse. I feel horrible about introducing the chuck-it but she absolutely loves it! She’s been out on ‘light duty’ chuck-it; basically no handle usage… we throw the ball by hand and only short distances. She’s not amused.

Returned to the new vet a week or so ago to discover that Analisa Kelly had moved on and was no longer with the practice. What? Wait, we just established a connection with a new vet and that vet is gone now? Oh boy….

Met with the new vet, a young kid with a swell Polish surname that I won’t even begin to try to pronounce,… John…..I’m kidding….it’s Przywara. John Przywara. Met with him and he’s the surgical resident and of course he recommended surgery right out of the gate. $3,500 or so!!

I’ve set up an appointment with my sister’s vet who she’s been gushing over for the last 15 years! He’s not a default to surgery type of guy and Mary (my sis) tells me that he’ll give it to me straight on the need for surgery but it appears to me that this has become chronic and we’ll have to have the surgery done to fix this for her.

Mol or Star can you contact Kim for me? I’ve sent an email bringing him up to speed but he never responded and I’d like to talk to him prior to the second opinion visit which is at the end of this month. I’ll PM my cell number later.

My poor little girlie! I’m not happy and neither is she.

Thanks again Gib for the journalistic integrity with respect to Wicca’s saga with the right leg. Very enlightening and well received for preparedness training for us. You’re a good puppy padre Gib!

Anyway…that’s it for now….aside from the occasional pop (which is several times a week now) she’s perfect!

Any feedback, advise, well-wishing or support is always welcome!

Edited by Chinatola

Poor doll. We had an outstanding surgeon work on Miss Tara's knee. She's near Ann Arbor Michigan. Let me know if you want a name. They also did Waki's emergency tummy zip for when he ate the gorilla glue. We trust them with our fur kid's lives.

• Like 2

Well, it appears that the universe is conspiring against my little dog.

Her luxating patella has gotten significantly worse over the last few months and was a daily occurrence up until last week when we put her on a sort of restricted plan of movement.

​

Thanks again Gib for the journalistic integrity with respect to Wicca’s saga with the right leg. Very enlightening and well received for preparedness training for us. You’re a good puppy padre Gib!

Anyway…that’s it for now….aside from the occasional pop (which is several times a week now) she’s perfect!

Any feedback, advise, well-wishing or support is always welcome!

I/we are here for your spiritual, psychic and emotional support.

Should you progress to the surgery (sounds like it) I will hold you closely in my thoughts and prayers.

You've indicated you read about Wicca's journey through the patella surgery. I completely empathize.

While all this is going on, the pups are putting extra stress and strain on their opposite leg and joints. So, there is really rest & rehab for both legs going on.

It's excruciating to go through but we had friends counsel us to remember that we wouldn't have done anything to hurt Wicca and the only reason we would ever consider putting her (or Draco or ourselves) under the knife is that it is the last resort and will fix the problem.

Even though it can be painful for the dog, it has been done for everyone's greater good. Even though it can be emotionally draining for the all involved , it profoundly intensifies the connection between....

Blessings to you and yours on this journey.

• Like 2

Mol or Star can you contact Kim for me? I’ve sent an email bringing him up to speed but he never responded and I’d like to talk to him prior to the second opinion visit which is at the end of this month. I’ll PM my cell number later.

DONE!

Ouchie, ouchie, so sorry to hear all of this with Lil Lilikoi. Gib's experience, as you know, will definitely give you a heads up on how to handle this journey.

Absolutely, Mol...I'm lucky to have my board family and believe me I've been reading and re-reading everything related to Wicca's experience. That's probably the best thing about these boards; it's a sort of preparedness factor. You can prepare yourself for the onslaught ahead through the experiences of the others on the boards. I'm eternally grateful for having found this community. Sad for Squint to have to go through this but she'll bounce back...I'm sure.

Thanks again for the moral support!

Will advise as the situation progresses.

Quote Kim Laflamme:

I thought I had e-mailed back to you the first e-mail? But it sounds like Gib, with his research expertise can help you understand the problem better than I. What I do know is, even though this isn’t common in our breed, it is very common in very active breeds, herding & sled dogs especially. If they do have a tendency to get obsessive & “over exercising” or damage or injure themselves at a young age (before their joints & muscles have a chance to mature) with pulling a sled, herding, chasing a ball, frisbee or playing with older bigger dogs, this can bring it on before they have a chance to grow. Just like the problems with young kids & sports & starting them too young. So I would warn people to not over do it when young, especially when owners have older big dogs jumping & playing rough with the young ones. As tough as these dogs are, there is always that point of too much exercise … as well as too little.

This can also be a genetic problem as well & that’s why I need to know the bloodlines, age etc …. To be able to keep track of this for the future of our breed. As rare as it is in our breed, as far as genetics it doesn’t seem to be in any one bloodline yet. What I have noticed is when it has been reported in the AI dogs, so far it seems to be either an early injury or bigger dogs in the family or over doing rough play at a young age. Thanks for your research expertise Gib & please do stay in touch with me with this situation – thanks -

• Like 2

Thanks Mol, it's important that the feedback channels remain open so that situations like this can be monitored and tracked. I'm glad that Kim knows about the situation.

I'd hate to think that the OLP (old lady puppy) contributed to any injury that she might have suffered here. They did play but it was certainly controlled aggression on the part of Ida and her tolerance levels varied. Plus, Ida was 85 Lbs and Lili just cracked the 30 mark only recently so there's a huge disparity in weight there . I'd never considered that before.

Glad to hear that this isn't a rare form of problem. Well, maybe 'glad' isn't the right word here...relieved to know that it's not a rare thing which to me means that there's a good amount of practice on part of the doctors performing these surgeries, and that makes me feel a little better anyway.

Second opinion is a week away...close monitoring and lots of snuggle time....until then. Even more so after then.

• Like 1