Draco & Wicca's Adventures

• Please log in to reply
440 replies to this topic

#61 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7847 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:32 AM

So glad you posted. I was looking over pictures from the last gathering, yesterday, and wondering how she was doing. The photos of Draco show him to be such a gentle giant, and Wicca is so absolutely cute. Looks like you made the right choice.

You realize the first time you let her off leash,.... Still, it is a gentle and soft yard. I can't see how you can keep their wrestling gentle? It's all about the front legs, whether they are hip-checking, or one on top of the other. Maybe stop that until the end?

Was she taped up at all? Or just coned?
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#62 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:06 AM

So glad Wicca is doing well, and they are working with you not against you.. lol

These dogs are so amazing

I had to laugh at the worried/harried look on Draco's face in the picture.
He looks like a frazzled nurse.. :wub:
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#63 Gib

Gib

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, snorkeling, grandchildren, dogs, community, computers and ....

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

So glad you posted. I was looking over pictures from the last gathering, yesterday, and wondering how she was doing. The photos of Draco show him to be such a gentle giant, and Wicca is so absolutely cute. Looks like you made the right choice.

You realize the first time you let her off leash,.... Still, it is a gentle and soft yard. I can't see how you can keep their wrestling gentle? It's all about the front legs, whether they are hip-checking, or one on top of the other. Maybe stop that until the end?

Was she taped up at all? Or just coned?

Allison,

Wicca's slipped the leash once. She made a huge, swooping circuit around the yard and, on command, came screeching to halt in a solid sit. She was so HAPPY!! But, we have to minimize if not eliminate these "accidents" so we don't have an accident.

We've been working with Draco & Wicca -- they now do a form of "head-n-necks only" wrestling. They still vocalize their wookie warsongs full volume. When the action moves into the shoulders we break it up.

Interestingly, she was neither taped nor coned!

On each shoulder, there were two incisions about 1/4 inch long. In each incision were two stitches. They left about 1/4 inch of thread sticking up from the sutures, so it was being on constant alert for licking, nibbling sounds.

Wicca was very good at "leave it" prior to the surgery -- that's paid off. She could get a good half dozen licks in before we'd call her name and tell her No. She seemed good with that negotiated compromise!

It's about the front legs -- exactly. It's still a couple weeks out before she's allowed stairs. Then, it's on-leash and only going up. I'll be carrying her down stairs until almost Christmas.

The doctor also told us that for her six week checkup that we'd know if we even needed to come in. If there's no problem; there's no need for an appointment.

So, we are, essentially, now, on with her life. Between now and Christmas our focus is all about a gradual incline in activity until, four weeks from now, there will be no restrictions!!

Edited by Gib, 22 November 2011 - 10:14 AM.

For Now,

Gib Curry

ф

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

#64 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3435 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:53 AM

I bet that will be one of the best Christmas presents that everyone can enjoy....freedom at last.
WaaaaaHoooooooo! :wub:
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#65 Gib

Gib

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, snorkeling, grandchildren, dogs, community, computers and ....

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:00 AM

I bet that will be one of the best Christmas presents that everyone can enjoy....freedom at last.
WaaaaaHoooooooo! :rolleyes:

A few quick random notes.

The next big step will be allowing Wicca and Draco to go outside together without Wicca being tethered to someone!!

She's had the "runs", so all night long the last two nights every two hours she and I have gotten up to go out in the sub-freezing night.

Being not too big a deal on its own to take her outside, to make things somewhat more interesting, I stubbed (but didn't break) a toe on my left foot.

By the way, it was noticeably colder at 3:30am this morning than it was at 1:30am.

And, did you know that swollen, bruised toes feel the cold intensely?

~~~~

Well, we are through the most serious part of the recuperation regimen for Wicca. Of course, by her actions, Wicca thinks she's already done with it!

Two more weeks. What's next?

We just started letting her climb up stairs -- slowly and very controlled. No downstairs yet -- too much pressure on the shoulders. We'll start controlled downstairs at the very end of her 6 weeks.

Increasingly, let the two dogs wrestle in the house -- not outside yet as they would tend to "get their run on".

Extend the walks to more than just potty walks. Extend walks up to 30 minutes round trip.

Next week we'll get to let her and Draco have some off-leash time in our yard -- which is definitely large enough for them to run.

We are gradually building strength and endurance.

The December 19th is the official 6 week point, at which, if all seems well enough, she will be free.

And one of her presents is Draco's brother, Rocco, is coming to stay a few days for Christmas. What a madhouse that's going to be: two grandkids, three AI Dogs and lots of happy adults!!

~~~~

Interesting that Wicca will come off her restrictions and just a day or two later each day will begin having more light!!! Yet another symbolic Solstice.

For Now,

Gib Curry

ф

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

#66 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7847 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:32 AM

Glad you posted. I was wondering.

Sorry to hear about your toe. I feel for you. Sprained my ankle this last week. Ouch.
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#67 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts
  • Interests:Photography, drawing, painting, cooking, dog training, film making

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

Being not too big a deal on its own to take her outside, to make things somewhat more interesting, I stubbed (but didn't break) a toe on my left foot.

Gib, I've messed up toes more times than I can count. I don't know how many times I've broken one, and that 'stubbing' can change that toe forever, and cause a change in your gait and range of motion. It sounds like a silly thing to see a doctor about, but I waited too long to see a podiatrist when I nailed a toe last Christmas, and it didn't heal right.

Once I dislocated a baby toe - it was at a 90 angle from my foot. They got it back in place, but couldn't get the joint back in. So, another immobilized toe.

If it doesn't improve noticeably by next week, go to the doctor. Sorry to sound like your Mom.
I do beautiful, wild, unique abstract photography.
www.karenhyams.com
And here's my dog Danza
custom_dog_nema2_small.jpg

#68 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7847 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:29 AM

Sorry to sound like your Mom.

I love that about you. Sometimes it is needed.

--David Dunning

#69 woodrat

woodrat

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:The dogs, photography, drawing, taxidermy, needle felting, hiking, dog behavior.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:10 AM

I haven't been on the forum as much lately, but I just had to check back in and see how Wicca was doing! I am so happy to hear that she is sailing through her recovery (I hope the past month went by as fast for you guys as it did for me). May the next two weeks zip by as fast as Wicca's zoomies will be at the end of them.

So sorry about your toe though..

#70 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7847 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:06 AM

May the next two weeks zip by as fast as Wicca's zoomies will be at the end of them.

Now there's a sentiment I can get behind. :rolleyes:

--David Dunning

#71 Gib

Gib

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:53 AM

I haven't been on the forum as much lately, but I just had to check back in and see how Wicca was doing! I am so happy to hear that she is sailing through her recovery (I hope the past month went by as fast for you guys as it did for me). May the next two weeks zip by as fast as Wicca's zoomies will be at the end of them.

So sorry about your toe though..

My toes fine. OK, it's still sore but not broken and doesn't seem to be hindering my walking the dogs and it didn't get me out of any of my chores! (Karen, I'm 63 years old, but that doesn't mean I don't need a Mother's good advice from time to time! Thank you.)

11 days to go for the 6 week recuperation period.

Wicca has been climbing stairs for almost a week now. Next week we'll introduce slowly descending stairs -- on leash or she'd probably jump down them all at one time!

We've been letting her go off-leash a bit by herself, but not if Draco is around. If he was there, the two simply couldn't be able to keep from running. So, next week will also be introducing letting Wicca and Draco have some off leash play time together -- finally.

By the time the mother-in-law, the kids & grandkids and Rocco get here for Christmas, she'll be cleared to go.

Thus, in some pretty practical terms, we are passed the crucial healing period. Another short period of caution and we'll be through this.

What's next? ZOOMIES!!

For Now,

Gib Curry

ф

#72 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3435 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:49 AM

You and Joan have done a fantastic job Gib. This has been a long recovery period with the breaks constantly on Wicca. I can just imagine Wicca, when she realizes her breaks are finally released...... she'll probably take a nano second to look at you as if to say, "Are you sure?" before she does her twirlies of excitement. The mental picture of those hind legs finally being able to dig in, butt tucked, ears back, as she takes off zigging here, zagging there, and becomes a blurrrrrrrrr... :rolleyes: Let the count down begin. ....Happiness is a dog full of ZOOMIES.... :lol:
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#73 Gib

Gib

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

You and Joan have done a fantastic job Gib. This has been a long recovery period with the breaks constantly on Wicca. I can just imagine Wicca, when she realizes her breaks are finally released...... she'll probably take a nano second to look at you as if to say, "Are you sure?" before she does her twirlies of excitement. The mental picture of those hind legs finally being able to dig in, butt tucked, ears back, as she takes off zigging here, zagging there, and becomes a blurrrrrrrrr... :rolleyes: Let the count down begin. ....Happiness is a dog full of ZOOMIES.... :lol:

Howl-A-Lujah!!

For Now,

Gib Curry

ф

#74 maria

maria

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:My AIDog Chhaya...herbs, gardening, the outdoors.

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:24 AM

I second this and Gib I would love to see:

"she'll probably take a nano second to look at you as if to say, "Are you sure?" before she does her twirlies of excitement. The mental picture of those hind legs finally being able to dig in, butt tucked, ears back, as she takes off zigging here, zagging there, and becomes a blurrrrrrrrr... :lol: Let the count down begin. ....Happiness is a dog full of ZOOMIES.... :wub:"

that on video!!!!
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

-Ancient Indian Proverb-

#75 Nessa

Nessa

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sewing, Cooking, Willow, Family!

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

So glad Wicca has made a full and healthy recovery!!

She's so luck to have you and Joan!
"I don't want to see new things, I want to see things new."

#76 Chinatola

Chinatola

Liliko'i & Kekona's Padre

• 1174 posts
  • Interests:Multiple business owner, father of two grown children, guitarist, amateur astronomer & husband of 30 years to my wonderful Julie Ann. Oh yeah...absolutely nuts about dogs!!

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

Eleven Days? Holy Cow! That just flew by (although I'm sure at times it seemed to be hell on earth watching her give you the "look" :rolleyes: ) didn't it?

So happy to hear that she's soon to be zoomie town bound! :lol:

Chinatola

Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized.

--- Daniel Burnham

#77 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3435 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

Gib I would love to see that on video!!!!:

WAHOOOOOOOOO...that would be fantastic. I second that!

#78 woodrat

woodrat

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:The dogs, photography, drawing, taxidermy, needle felting, hiking, dog behavior.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:26 AM

WAHOOOOOOOOO...that would be fantastic. I second that!

Third-ed! I have a feeling it will be one of those sights likely to bring happy tears to the eyes of even those of us across the country. What greater joy than freedom to fly!

#79 maria

maria

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:My AIDog Chhaya...herbs, gardening, the outdoors.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:57 AM

:) nothing like seeing an AIDog running and playing!!! B)
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

-Ancient Indian Proverb-

#80 Gib

Gib

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:54 AM

Happy Friday.... Wicca's release appointment is next Tuesday. But, she's had some off-leash time!!!!!

I've put a couple of videos too big to upload here on the AI Dog FaceBook page -- which has quite a bit of recent activity. Cool!!

https://www.facebook...ericanindiandog

For Now,

Gib Curry

ф

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users