Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Love the series with Roger. Many years ago I had a female pup that Looooooovvveeed our 10 year old male GSD. He had a bed like that and she'd chase him around in it until he was not in the bed anymore. Too much lovin.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello guys... I have been so busy getting settled into my new home, running out to the Song Dog Kennels and raising Anoki over the last few weeks that I have not been able to respond to some of the co

I am very grateful to the forum family also. So much sharing and learning. If one or two things worked all the time for all dogs there wouldn't be so many books, web sites, trainers and so much need f

Oh my how time FLIES!   Adult training classes start this Wednesday, working toward CGC and certified therapy   Sometimes Tayamni responds to her nickname: I thought it would be a good

Posted Images

Hi Gang!

I've got lots of pic and a couple vids to post (once I get a 'utube' account).

At 14 weeks, Tayamni weighed 18 lbs! Vet feels she's very healthy and January 2nd is her 16 week checkup, Rabies vaccination and titer. Hopefully the titer is A OK and she can go directly to Dog Park after Vet visit!

Will provide an update as soon as I can. It's been a hectic couple of weeks and I haven't bee on the computer for fun.

Tayamni has weaned herself off lunch. Vet was impressed. We give her some kibble when it looks like she's hungry in the afternoon but not a full lunch.

My sister has been a REALLY big help assisting me with Tayamni's well being and she is (the 2 legged) in the Christmas pics.

Tayamni is halfway through her puppy training class - we're on Holiday break - just like 2 legged school - wee have daily home work but I gave Tayamni a bit of a break and it's time to get back to working on it. I figure everybody needs a break and she had some new experiences - travel to Grandma's, going to ceremony, (not in that order), etc.

I used to be able to put the pics into the text (add to post) but lately pics have only been attaching at the end (add to post not working?). We'll see what happens tonight.

1st pic: Roger (Kelli's dog) in his Christmas suit, he likes to dress for the occasion:

Next, Roger's littermate, Ginger, aka grouchy ole' lady, with her Christmas pig - that soon lost all it's stuffing ....

Tayamni, tired from dragging the wrappings all around. It was a hard job!

Later in the day, Tayamni and my Mom's rescued Bengal cat palin' around and lovin' it up! (3 pics)

Lastly, this morning, I hear this strange noise and check around, Tayamni decided she likes the tub! Probbably chased a cat in there.

BUT she likes it with-OUT water in it! Maybe she was telling me she wanted a bath???????? I ran the water and she splashed and drank and backed up as the water filled, then jumped out and left tracks all over ...... something else for me to clean, there's a conspiracy between her and the cats!!!!

(OK tried to add to post and then tried to move in preview and - NOTHING - ALSO, the order of photos has changed - so captions don't match the picture order!

Let's pretend it's a game - match the caption to the pics!)

IMG_20141225_124848.jpg

IMG_20141225_130259.jpg

IMG_20141225_141717.jpg

IMG_20141225_143610.jpg

IMG_20141225_150710.jpg

IMG_20141225_150909.jpg

IMG_20141228_091801.jpg

• Like 1

The other day I thought Tayamni go bit by something .... :wacko:

Upon further inspection, it is a COWLICK! :lol:

It was not there or not prominent when I got her.

It is a circle of counter-clockwise hair growth. ..... maybe a crop circle? :P

Any other dogs with this mark? Is it hereditary?

IMG_20141227_140340.jpg

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 1

Ok. These pics are a week old (from 12-20-2014) when Tayamni was 18 pounds at 14 weeks.

I'm a bit behind in posting and have some breathing room for a minute or two.

(still not enough time to start a utube page - promise will get to videos some day!)

Here's a look back at when I first got her (almost 9 weeks old)

First Night (face).JPG

(OWWWWW! I can click "add to Post" in Chrome but not IE11!!!! Eureka!!!!!!)

Here are potential registry application pics (14 weeks old) - I finally got her to stand still a moment!

(OK she was paying attention to something else .....) ^_^

2014-12-20 FACE.jpg

2014-12-20 RIGHT SIDE.jpg

Very happy in bed and "indoor" play with her Roger:

IMG_20141216_161713.jpg

IMG_20141219_082507.jpgIMG_20141219_082514.jpgIMG_20141219_082522.jpg

The Vet says we're growing GOOD!

IMG_20141220_090023.jpgIMG_20141220_090334.jpgIMG_20141220_101856.jpg

• Like 2

How fun! I love seeing all your pictures! I'm so glad you have a handle on her digestive issues. It's wonderful that you're so in tune with her and her needs. Nick is amazed at the similar expressions and appearance of her and Boone. I couldn't load a video and had the same problem with it scrambling my pictures. I posted the video to youtube and a link here. It would be nice if we can figure out a way to load videos. Anybody?? Keep posting the updates, I love them!

• Like 1
How fun! I love seeing all your pictures! I'm so glad you have a handle on her digestive issues. It's wonderful that you're so in tune with her and her needs. Nick is amazed at the similar expressions and appearance of her and Boone. I couldn't load a video and had the same problem with it scrambling my pictures. I posted the video to youtube and a link here. It would be nice if we can figure out a way to load videos. Anybody?? Keep posting the updates, I love them!

Denise,

Starghoti posted a tutorial under "Issues, bugs and Feature Requests"

I still have to setup a utube account .... page , something ......

My biggest problems are: making time, naming it AND do I make one page for all my animals antics or a page for the dogs and a page for the cats?

I know, BIG DECISIONS! :o

Also, I found that IE11 is not letting me Add the pictures into the Post, BUT I opened Google Chrome and it works!

It must be a bug in IE11. It is the same on my work computer and home computer.

Try a different browser if you are having a problem - maybe that will help! :rolleyes:

So cute maybe sometime we can meet and have a puppy playdate!!

KEYWESTMAMA22

If you see this - I tried to message you but couldn't get through.

Tayamni would love to interact with another AI Dog and a half brother at that!

She gets her titer test and rabies this weekend and will be good to go!

I'm am more depressed than Tayamni. -_-

we went to the Vet today (EVERYTHING GOOD!) - rabies vaccination and titer done - EXCEPT titer takes a day before I will get results!

I had it all planned that we would go to the Dog Park after the Vet visit! What a let down :(

I knew she was going to have so much fun! Tomorrow is ceremony day and she'll be tied out again ..... hope I feel well enough on Sunday to take her.

She doesn't know how much fun she is missing at the Dog Park. So we wait.

Now and update on my 16 week old - OMG I don't know what got into her! :lol:

She is 21.1 lbs!!!!!!!!

Like Kekona - she grows and changes almost every time she wakes up from a deep sleep.

(She doesn't have all those remarkable color changes but she hold her own ^_^ )

Tayamni lost her first baby tooth on 12-31-14!

Dummy me didn't realize what it was until AFTER it was in the garbage can ....

OK, I will save the SECOND baby tooth I find!

The Vet thinks Tayamni will end up about 40 - 45 lbs.

So, I guess her growth rate will slow down very soon and she won't have to go through teething AND growing like she has in this last week.

Estimating spaying in March or April and she will be micro chipped at that time. Probably March (around 6 months; we'll see as it gets to about then).

• Like 1

All of a sudden Tayamni does NOT want to be restrained (for nail clipping, etc). The howling and thrashing ....

Here is a picture of what it looked like at the Vet's office today during that part of the visit:

imagesG369WPUP.jpg

(Ok, it wasn't quite as sudden - this started a few weeks ago - she stopped letting me trim her nails <_>

Refer to pic above )

IT took three people at the vets office to get them trimmed.

One to hold her, one to keep her attention constantly refocussed and one to trim the nails!

My sister can't hold Tayamni and I can't hold her myself and clip - so we'll be going to the Vets office every couple of weeks until she gets over this I guess.

I never cut a quick, the Vets haven't either and I used to cut her nails when she was little.

This is what she was like then:

imagesZ6A9DOLV.jpg

I can put my hands in her mouth, touch her entire body, hold her paws, clean her ears.

I'm baffled at what could have happened.

I have noticed her ears getting pink so we have some drops now. It's not an infection, I asked it is could be part of teething an the Vet told me that some children get ear infections when teething. The drops are to help wax from building up and prevent infection. Hope it works!

And hope she desensitizes about the nail clipping soon!

The Vet remarked that the way she resisted and her resistance to being restrained/held (for blood draw and nail clipping) was almost like a coyote.

I snickered and said, "no, it's just primative dog"

Her vocalizations brought another couple techs running ... they thought there was something majorly wrong! They open the door and see it's just her and shook their heads.

I wish I had the help at home to get this done but I definately understand that letter her 'win' and get away with this will just make things worse.

:huh:

• Like 1

PS

New Year's eve went well.

We were asleep and fireworks going off at midnight (south Florida) woke us up.

I took her out of her crate and we went out to the back yard to potty and then watch the fireworks.

She sat, she paced a little (more because the neighbor was upset and discussing something in his yard with someone - so she monitored that), came back to me, sat again and watched. This was the revolving theme.

The cracking noises didn't bother her.

It was done in about 15 minutes and we went back to bed to go to sleep so I could get up before sunrise to meet it at the beach.

I sure wish Tayamni could have come with me for that! :wub:

There's always next year! :ph34r:

• Like 1

OK playing a game - I'm a bookkeeper so I like numbers :wub:

Tayamni is 17" at withers and 21.1lbs at 16 weeks.

Her harness is 19" diameter which fits around her ribs just behind her front legs.

My "Guesstimate" is that her fast growth will slow (hoping? LOL :o ) as she is proportionate looking.

Her nose mouth grew over Christmas and then her head filled out to catch up.

She has long legs but her body, hind quarters, leg muscles are not spindly looking (well, she has a bit of a bony butt - but so do I!) Ears a little on the large size but NOT way oversized and her paws finally look like the belong on her. :)

Her chest in front of her legs has filled out a bit but the barrel has not gotten much deeper in the past few weeks. (I have a Halti harness for walking and have not had to adjust the girth yet, soon - in a week or so? It was a little looser when we started but still snaps comfortably). He chest has grown into the smallest setting on the front part of the harness - almost.

My "Guesstimate" is that she will be knee-high, (to my knees - LOL!), about 22" at withers and about 45 pounds full grown.

(If her growth rate slows down now)

Bigger or smaller, bony butt or filled out - I will love her just the same!

Merely documenting, so I can look back at this and reminisce - "remember when she was ..... :"

- and possibly have to adjust it as time goes on...

Just another way to learn about this girl and all she is! :wub:

• Like 3

Hi! Tayamni here!

Yesterday I was 16 weeks old!

Mom left her picture taker thing in the car and didn't get to take any pictures of me there.

She was busy most of the day anyway.

I went to ceremony again and I was a REALLY good girl!

So many people said so!

I only whined and cried a little for being tied up but I got a 30 foot leash instead of a 20 and it allowed me to be on the patio where the peoples walk.

I guess as I get bigger I get more space! Can't wait to grow some more - maybe they'll let me roam the whole back yard!!!!!!!

Yesterday was the first day I listened. I got lots of hugs and love for that.

I think I'll listen more - it works! I love to get attention!

My people Mom is posting a picture of what I see when she is doing some of her "work' at ceremony.

They make a fire nearby with stones in the center and later when the fire has died down they all go in that thing now covered with blankets and sing songs and pray.

I guess it's my job to guard the yard while they are in there. Hee hee - I knew when Mom was praying about me and I was HAPPY so I made some NOISE! I'm usually quiet when the people crawl in that covered dome.

It likes like they crawl backm in the womb

and when they come out - they must be being born because they are wet and some of them have earth on them!

(then the go clean up and look like peoples again).

I'm getting to like this stuff!

Sundance n Illinois 003.jpg

• Like 3

AHHHHHHHH :wub: DOG PARK!

First, I didn't know where I was going,

went to a new place all by myself (with adult supervision - of course)

came home to nap,and passed out: :D

I still squeeze into my shipping crate for travel -IMG_20150104_110239.jpg

We got to what person mommie calls "the park" IMG_20150104_110912.jpg

Oh what fun it is! great new place to be!!!!!

IMG_20150104_111553_edit.jpg IMG_20150104_112145_edit.jpg

IMG_20150104_112231.jpg IMG_20150104_112526_edit.jpg

IMG_20150104_112541.jpg IMG_20150104_113810.jpg

Here's me passed out - person mommie likes to take pictures of me sleeping - she's says its so peaceful ....

What exactly does she mean? :huh:

IMG_20150104_133959.jpg IMG_20150104_134039.jpg

• Like 1

I took Roger with me in the afternoon, but he told me he already knew about "Dog Park".

He was gloating! :o

IMG_20150104_160549_edit.jpg First we investigated near the fence of the BIG Dog Park

IMG_20150104_160601_edit.jpg

We met a lot of new friends, the ones I met earlier weren't here - I wonder where they went?

Oh well - new friends are GOOD!

IMG_20150104_160914_edit.jpg IMG_20150104_161922_edit.jpg

IMG_20150104_162454_edit.jpg IMG_20150104_163446_edit1_edit.jpg

IMG_20150104_163509_edit.jpg IMG_20150104_164650.jpg

When we got home, I was sooooooo tired - I wonder if i snored like mommie does sometimes :ph34r:

IMG_20150104_183628.jpg IMG_20150104_190504.jpg

I almost was too tired to get up for supper, once I started eating

MMMMMMM, MMMMMMMM GOOD!!!!!!! :lol:

She is really growing into an elegant little girl! Does she have that crazy fringe on either side of her head? Cake's is getting really long this winter. I assume it is for hearing, kind of like an owl's disk head. She sure can hear stuff.

So yes she will continue to fill out for about 3 years. Our female dogs have seemed to be almost 2 dimensional for a long time. Miss Tara could slip between the slats on the railing on the stairs until she was 2. Makes fitting a harness a challenge since they slosh about in anything for a long time.

No idea on the nail thing. All our dogs have rebelled. I had a game with Waki where I'd chase him around with the clipper. He liked to be "scared" and at the end of one or two laps around the living room he'd let me have ONE nail and we'd repeat. I now take mine to the groomer. 10 minutes and it's done.

Shiva is really noisy at the vet. He barks to announce his arrival (we now go in the back door because we were scaring the other patience's owners). He discovered he can make the metal table rattle if he's loud enough so he barks to entertain himself while waiting to be seen. He barks at the vet until he gets hugs and he barks when he decides the visit should be over. Once he goes to the back room w/o me he's a perfect gentleman. It may be that your pup will be better behaved if you are not in the room with her during the procedures. Try the experiment. Also it might go better if you do the body hold for the vet. Just a few thoughts.

• Like 2

That's a good idea about holding her body for the nail clipping at the vets. Thanks! :D

I tried being the one to distract her BUT that didn't work for long.

Putting the gel in her ears these last few days has been another experience. 5 days in a row and then twice a week after that for a while.

It is not antibiotic but something that dissolves ear wax.

We are trying to keep an ear infection away - it seems the round of teething may be causing irritations.

Anyway, it's always interesting. I'm hoping she'll learn to submit.

As soon as the bottle is moved away - whether drops are in or not - she stops the head flailing.

I've tried cooing and klssing her head - she has the same response no matter what.

So, this morning I growled when she was tossing her head but it sounded more like a pirate.

I got one ear done that way - I think the noise from me confused her momentarily - LOL!

I can rub and touch her ears otherwise.

Funny little girl.

The funniest thing is that Roger wanted attention so I MOCK put the gel in his ears, he was pleased as punch! :P

Wow, how did I luck out with the vet? Ayita has always been the perfect patient. I flop her on the table and they do their thing (after some loving and sweet talking). I have never tried to cut her nails though. We take her for day care/grooming every 4-6 weeks.

• Like 1

Tayamni has a very short coat, even the hair on her tail is short. (at least for now).

She doesn't exactly have wings (yet), but that is where her longest hair is - on the sides of her neck.

Neat thinking that it might be purpose like owls. Also, like bloodhounds have the folds of skin on their necks to help trap the scents.

I was thinking more of protection and her neck skin is loose. Is that still for puppy scruffing?

When Tayamni plays with Roger they mouth each other's necks.

Well, we stop her but I've seen her drag Roger a little by the neck.

No hair removed or skin broken.

Then yesterday, she was the perfect little lady socialite at the Dog Park!

A couple people that work with dogs for a living remarked kindly on her behavior.

One even said it "is like she has an old soul" -- I grinned B)

Forgot to add .......

Evidently Tayamni was sooooo happy about the Dog Park yesterday that she listened to me 100% on our morning walk!

She is definitely a rewards based learner - sometimes the reward / privilege comes first and she in turn steps it up a notch in her accepting!

I did this with potty training also, we had less mistakes once I took the gate down between the kitchen and living room. Then even less again when I allowed her all the way down the hallway toward the bedrooms.

I wait until I see signals that she may be ready for more trust and responsibility! Funny, her signal seems to be a bit of backsliding, not defiance (that's different and she hasn't gotten what she wanted then) - maybe backsliding is from boredom or not enough responsibility?

Anyway, it is working so far - and she's a good negotiator, too!

Sometime within the next couple of months I can see the crate hardly being used for night time sleeping....

• Like 2

Oh I love this forum. So much to learn and relate to. In no particular order:

2 dimensional female AI dogs...haha! I've had that very thought! Sita seems to be the most slender of all, from what i can tell in pictures. Short hair also, gets cold easily. I think she's a long way from what she's going to look like, shag and color wise...her colors, as advertised, keep changing mostly towards the lighter side

It's great to see those pictures of Tayamni, and realize that even though she has different mama and papa, AI dogs and their lithe good looks are truly unique...it's like looking at Sita but just a different color.

Dog parks: yes! Sita and I went today for the first time. I will sum it up with this: every once and a while, if she's had a VERY fun day, Sita will give me a honey-dripped look of purest love and contentment (definitely not an everyday occurrence at this point! She's really quite stoic sometimes). Today, post dog park, I got about 4 of those...it's almost like her blue eyes go a shade of sweetest violet at these times (Elizabeth Taylor anyone?!)

It was cool to see her be most ladylike with all dogs, and yet make her own deeper connection with one in particular, an Aussie shepherd that felt the same way about her. One of her first doggie friends who doesn't already live with us.

Denise, as to pre-emptive rewards leading to good behavior, I have definitely been noticing this...it's almost like she is energetically imploring me to let her have more freedom, because she is smart/wise enough to handle it. Everything you wrote about, I have noticed.

As for nail clipping, I've done it twice, both times when she is VERY sleepy. She jumped at the first nail, but i just cooed and soothed and was of course very careful to not cut any quick, and it has been easy. I pray it stays this way!

• Like 3

I am very grateful to the forum family also. So much sharing and learning. If one or two things worked all the time for all dogs there wouldn't be so many books, web sites, trainers and so much need for different perspectives and approaches. I also appreciate everyone loves and "gets" dogs and so we can be eccentric dog people together ;)

• Like 5

Sherab, YES I like it here too!

Own World.compressed.jpg

Sri! OHHHHH I know you are enjoying that! GREAT! It's really touching when they respond to us like that. Tayamni is like Sita Flower in the amount of affection actions toward me and ALL other people.

I was trimming Tayamni's nails when she was sleepy. It worked for a few weeks. No quick had been cut - she just suddenly one day decided to not like being worked on. Funny she absolutely LOVES the Vets office otherwise.

Glad it is still working for you.

i love the comparisons of all of us. We see the similarities and subtle differences. I like the sharing. Sherab is totally right that one way doesn't work for everyone and we are all here helping each other and our pups! I don't think there's anyplace else like this forum - thank you Allison and the other creators! EXCELLENT idea!

• Like 1