Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

The Router Is Dead, Long Live The Router.

Damn outages.

Due to a number of annoying things pertaining to Comcast and Netgear flaking out, I've been going through the entire network stack trying to find the issues of late. There were two problems, the easier of two was Comcast disconnecting, I suspect due to overloaded traffic, and the other was the Netgear router spiraling down to it's death.

It's final death was yesterday. There is a new router handling the traffic now.

In the long term, this is a temporary measure. The long term plan is to go to Amazon WebServices (AWS) and host the forum and the adjacent pages in the "cloud" (oh how I despise that term).

The advantage for moving to AWS for our use are :

a) that it's cheaper for me to run

B) no network isssues

c) no hardware failures

I've had a persistent fear that someday AWS will just suddenly delete the servers, but after six months of testing they've been utterly reliable.

The working area can be seen at http://52.32.103.61/iidoba/forums/

What I have to do to move us there is straightforward enough, but it will take time as it's not just a simple move, the process will include an upgrade to the IPS 4.x version of the forum software. I suspect strongly that the "frontpage" may be negatively impacted. Hence the reason it will take time; I will need to test the move/upgrade a bunch of times before the final cut over.

The biggest affect to the member is going to be that we will need to change the DNS (IP Address) for the site(s), While this takes only seconds to accomplish, DNS is SLOW to move through the internet and while the new site may be up and running fine, you may not yet be able to reach it because your local 2nd or 3rd tier DNS provider on updates every day or so.

In summary, the latest network annoyance should be fixed. We are planning on moving to AWS. We are planning on upgrading the forum. There will be a scheduled outage when we move the DNS entry.

• Like 5