Seizures

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 susiepetoskey

susiepetoskey

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors; ATVing, snowmobiling, skiing, skating, hiking, traveling, scuba diving, swimming. My absolute loves are my seven grandchildren ages 1 to 14 and all the joy they bring.

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:17 PM

Hi everyone, sorry I havent been active with the group. Im checking in because my girl, Mishe Mokwa, had a seizure tonight. This is the third one since Thanksgiving. Mishe is 3 years old. Her parents are Cree and Jay Silver Heels. She came from the fall 2016 liter. I brought her home December of 2016. I was wondering if any other siblings are having seizures? Also, any advise on preventing seizures? We stopped heart worm, flea tick meds. She eats Blue kibble grain free and homemade food like eggs, turkey, cooked veggies, yogurt, cream occasionally blueberries.. thanks for any help

#2 DarmokElizabethontheocean

DarmokElizabethontheocean

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Creating new laws for the qualifications and accountability of service dog trainers in WA.

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:46 PM

Jay silver heels is (was, he passed away last year I think) also my pup's father. My pup and his litter mate both have overbites and were larger pups. Mine has never shown any health issues other than the overbite. He was born Dec 2016.

#3 susiepetoskey

susiepetoskey

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors; ATVing, snowmobiling, skiing, skating, hiking, traveling, scuba diving, swimming. My absolute loves are my seven grandchildren ages 1 to 14 and all the joy they bring.

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:20 AM

Sounds like my girl and your pup are siblings just not sure if they came from the same liter. So happy to hear your pup is healthy and seizure free. Thanks for responding.

#4 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:52 AM

Maybe Mishe is getting into something either in the house or outside. There are certain molds that will cause seizures in dogs. We learned the hard way that walnuts are a culprit. There's a mold that grows on walnuts that will cause seizures in dogs. Any walnut trees in the neighborhood?
"A life ain't much of a life without a dog in it, s'what I always said."
Dan Gemeinhart, The Honest Truth

#5 Tenshi

Tenshi

• IIDOBA Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 02:33 PM

Hello...Tenshi is my 8yr old.  A few years ago he had a seizure.  Took him to the vet - nothing wrong.  I mentioned this to a neighbor who had a retriever that had seizures much of her life.  She said the vet couldn't find what it was.  She found through observation that if the dog had something with nitrates in it -  like hot dogs,

she would have a seizure.  When I heard this I realized the night before Tenshi had his seizure a gas station person had given him a hot dog (after asking me).  Tenshi has never had a seizure since.  Only organic nitrate free hot dogs. Try looking for nitrates in some food she's eaten.  Good luck!

#6 susiepetoskey

susiepetoskey

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 05:56 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. I will continue to watch what Mishe eats and is around. May I keep her safe and seizure free.

#7 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2375 posts
  • Interests:Wishing you Joy, Blessings and Wisdom

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:26 PM

Hey Lady, Great to hear from you. Sorry your lovely Mishe is having some problems. A few years ago cousin Wakinyan had a weird incident - not a seizure but limb trembling. It happened several times. I was worried it was neurological. Vet said electrolytes can be off. I don't remember now what she told us to give him but he never had another issue and that was years ago. Afterwards we started giving him sea weed regularly. Ask your vet about electrolytes. Good luck and keep us posted.

#8 sschenck

sschenck

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, horses, chickens, goats, primates, every other animal, nature, music, books, my family and my Lord Christ Jesus!

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:43 PM

My 3 year old dog Jesse just had a grand mal seizure on June 1st at 4:30 am, it was awful. He has different parents than your Mishe. When he was under one year old he had head tremors for several days, then they stopped. I am praying he never has another seizure. Heartbreaking!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users