Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Luka X Katchina

She's so pretty!

I've been thinking a lot about the 'tough love' approach lately, and trying to approach my 6-mo-old dog in a way that is both respectful of who she is and more deserving of her respect. Just the decision to make a shift has made a difference.

Karen

Have you been reading the Suzanne Clothier book? It really gets you thinking. It has helped me quite a bit as well. It feels great to form a partnership with the dogs rather than a dictatorship.

-Gavin

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here she is again. Her ears stood up about three days after I got her. She didn't handle the crate well at all the first time. She got so worked up she actually lost her dinner. She was more than eager to help me clean it up though. (eww). I didn't put her back in the crate until today while I was cleaning my room. She did much better this time. She eventually calmed down and laid down. She's full of energy and goes hiking with me every day. I do look forward to her growing up a bit though. I'm so glad I got her. It's funny to hear everyone that meets her remark on how good she looks. It's always the first thing that comes out of their mouths. It's not just the common (oh she's so cute...) fawning that girls do to any puppy. Guys nearly always say, "That's a good looking dog! Where did you get her?" Watch out Kim you may have people beating your door down for a pup. Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you other lucky owners about your new puppy. Post some pictures too. I know at least two of you picked up yours a few days ago.

Drifter

Have you been reading the Suzanne Clothier book? It really gets you thinking. It has helped me quite a bit as well. It feels great to form a partnership with the dogs rather than a dictatorship.

-Gavin

I'm almost finished with it. It is a wonderful book! I was thinking of writing a review of it for this site. And it was good timing, 'cuz Danza just started agility training and the trainer who teaches the class is 100% positive, which makes it easier for me to let Danza set the pace. I mean, she doesn't even want to use coersion to show a dog what she wants it to learn.

I can't imagine anyone reading this book and not feeling a fair amount of guilt.

Karen

Edited by Karen
Here she is again. Her ears stood up about three days after I got her. She didn't handle the crate well at all the first time. She got so worked up she actually lost her dinner. She was more than eager to help me clean it up though. (eww). I didn't put her back in the crate until today while I was cleaning my room. She did much better this time. She eventually calmed down and laid down. She's full of energy and goes hiking with me every day. I do look forward to her growing up a bit though. I'm so glad I got her. It's funny to hear everyone that meets her remark on how good she looks. It's always the first thing that comes out of their mouths. It's not just the common (oh she's so cute...) fawning that girls do to any puppy. Guys nearly always say, "That's a good looking dog! Where did you get her?" Watch out Kim you may have people beating your door down for a pup. Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you other lucky owners about your new puppy. Post some pictures too. I know at least two of you picked up yours a few days ago.

Drifter

She is very pretty, and has a unique look. I am still wondering what my puppy looks like!!!Kim was suppose to send me a picture, however he seems to be pretty busy. My situation with getting the puppy has been solved. Kim knows a nice lady from my area, and she is going to Oregon tomorrow, and will be back next Monday. So she agreed to bring the puppy for me. I will post a picture as soon as I have the little guy.

Have a pleasant week every one.

Ophelia

Meet Sterling!

(aka Luka's Sterling Silver)

We picked her up on Thursday afternoon and spent Friday and Saturday working our way home and camping out. She had a great time traveling and keeps trying to climb back into the camper. She adventurous and outgoing but still very focused on not being too far from the “pack.” She follows me everywhere. The camping trip was great for her. Lots of together time and lots of new experiences. She even got to run on the beach a couple of times, which she loved.

Kim let her out of the puppy pen so we could meet her. She was friendly and quite willing to be held by us silly strangers.

DSCN9471.JPG

We put her little purple collar on and when she got back in the puppy pen, all the other puppies pounced on it like she had just brought them a new toy.

DSCN9487.JPG

We rubbed all her litter mates down with a little fleecy blanket and put it in a pet duffel bag. She soon leaned to sleep in the bag and now she climbs inside whenever she's ready for a nap.

DSCN9493.JPG

She is having fun exploring her new home and yard. We have not entered any kind of fear period yet, so we are taking advantage of her intense curiosity to introduce as many new people, things, noises, and experiences as possible. I hate having to keep her away from the dog park, but health comes first. She loves hanging out on the deck.

DSCN9533.JPG

Her older sister, Phoenix, is understandably a little annoyed, but is tolerating her better than I expected at this point. They have even played together a couple of times. I have put Phoenix in charge of teaching her good puppy manners while I worry about teaching her good people manners. It seems to be a good arrangement for everyone.

On the farm I took lots of pictures of the rest of the litter, Luka, Katchina, and the other dogs on the farm if anyone is interested, just let me know. I'd love to trade pix with anyone else who photographed Luka & Katchina while they were there. Luka is particularly hard to capture.

Tomorrow, Sterling and I will go into the office for a while. I've got lots of eager little helpers there just dying to spend time with the puppy. They are going to go ga-ga over this little girl! I know I am!

Sterling just woke up...gotta go!

-Gavin

Meet Sterling!

(aka Luka's Sterling Silver)

We picked her up on Thursday afternoon and spent Friday and Saturday working our way home and camping out. She had a great time traveling and keeps trying to climb back into the camper. She adventurous and outgoing but still very focused on not being too far from the “pack.” She follows me everywhere. The camping trip was great for her. Lots of together time and lots of new experiences. She even got to run on the beach a couple of times, which she loved.

Kim let her out of the puppy pen so we could meet her. She was friendly and quite willing to be held by us silly strangers.

DSCN9471.JPG

We put her little purple collar on and when she got back in the puppy pen, all the other puppies pounced on it like she had just brought them a new toy.

DSCN9487.JPG

We rubbed all her litter mates down with a little fleecy blanket and put it in a pet duffel bag. She soon leaned to sleep in the bag and now she climbs inside whenever she's ready for a nap.

DSCN9493.JPG

She is having fun exploring her new home and yard. We have not entered any kind of fear period yet, so we are taking advantage of her intense curiosity to introduce as many new people, things, noises, and experiences as possible. I hate having to keep her away from the dog park, but health comes first. She loves hanging out on the deck.

DSCN9533.JPG

Her older sister, Phoenix, is understandably a little annoyed, but is tolerating her better than I expected at this point. They have even played together a couple of times. I have put Phoenix in charge of teaching her good puppy manners while I worry about teaching her good people manners. It seems to be a good arrangement for everyone.

On the farm I took lots of pictures of the rest of the litter, Luka, Katchina, and the other dogs on the farm if anyone is interested, just let me know. I'd love to trade pix with anyone else who photographed Luka & Katchina while they were there. Luka is particularly hard to capture.

Tomorrow, Sterling and I will go into the office for a while. I've got lots of eager little helpers there just dying to spend time with the puppy. They are going to go ga-ga over this little girl! I know I am!

Sterling just woke up...gotta go!

-Gavin

she is beautiful. I am glad you had a good and safe trip with the little puppy...It sounds you guys had a great time.

I love to see the pictures you took from the puppies, however I won't know which was is mine:o(....

I know....it seems like I am crying a lot to see a picture of my little puppy....Like a little kid:o)

I am counting the days to get mine...

Have fun....

Ophelia

Hello Sterling! She looks quite at home. I like the camping right away; I might do that next time. The idea of the blanket is excellent, too. Great picks, Gavin. That one of the pups, going for the collar....quite good.

She looks great!!

Please send more pics of the litter. We are still waiting for Kim to send us a photo of our little guy.

It is hard to see them all in new hands while we have to wait a few weeks more, but time goes by and soon we will see him in person.

Good luck with your new pups, I'm green with envy! It would be very difficult to have one at present with Shunka being treated still, with the open wound, but we have so many memories of him as a pup at camp, he still loves it, and friends say it isn't a proper camp without him!

I too keep the door open for Cassie, and even at 2 years old, she loves it (still barely fits!). In fact, she gets mad if I close the door and tries to push it back open.

Hang in there!

Danza is squeezing into her crate, as well. The upstairs crate is way too small, but I'm not going to replace it and will move the downstairs crate upstairs when she no longer needs one down. But now I have to buy a portable crate because she is doing agility!

Enjoy is right! Thanks Gavin. Great ones.

Some more pix from the farm.

Enjoy!

Beautiful Pics. They are so cute. Gavin, by any chance did Kim mentioned to you which was was mine!? Just wondering.

Have a question if anyone can help with the answer please.

I have heard that it is not wise to take the puppy to the dog park, until he/she is up to date with all the shots. My son has a friend who has four dogs in her house, and my son would like to take the little puppy to her house to play with the dogs. Is this ok to have the puppy play with other dogs before getting all his shots?! Thanks.

Ophelia

I have heard that it is not wise to take the puppy to the dog park, until he/she is up to date with all the shots. My son has a friend who has four dogs in her house, and my son would like to take the little puppy to her house to play with the dogs. Is this ok to have the puppy play with other dogs before getting all his shots?! Thanks.

Ophelia

As long as the four dogs are current in their shots you are OK. It will be good for the pup! But do check....Parvo, in particular, is often fatal to puppies. And remind your friend with the dogs that your pup will have worms and pick up her poo so she doesn't spread them.

Where in San Jose do you live? We moved up here from Los Gatos about a year ago.

Karen

Edited by Karen

We just got home from the vet and Sterling has Giardia and Coccidia. She is not sick, but it needs to be taken care of with antibiotics. Other puppy owners: PLEASE TAKE A FECAL SAMPLE TO YOUR VET ASAP!

-Gavin

As long as the four dogs are current in their shots you are OK. It will be good for the pup! But do check....Parvo, in particular, is often fatal to puppies. And remind your friend with the dogs that your pup will have worms and pick up her poo so she doesn't spread them.

Where in San Jose do you live? We moved up here from Los Gatos about a year ago.

Karen

Thanks Karen for the tip.

We live in the border of San Jose and Campbell, by San Tomas Aquino and Bucknall. Where did you move to?!

Hope your little girl is doing fine now. Did she got a shot or pills?

She's doing great, no symptoms at all.

A liquid for the giardia:2/d for 5 days

and a pill for the coccidia: 1/d for 11 days

-G

She's doing great, no symptoms at all.

A liquid for the giardia:2/d for 5 days

and a pill for the coccidia: 1/d for 11 days

-G

That's the problem, they don't know when they are sick! We have solved the problem of pill taking for Shunka, we now hide it in a soft sticky Brussels Pate, covers up the texture of the pill and hides the smell of it and the taste, they go down a treat!

I have never heard of giardia or cocciadia perhaps we don't get it over here?

We just got home from the vet and Sterling has Giardia and Coccidia. She is not sick, but it needs to be taken care of with antibiotics. Other puppy owners: PLEASE TAKE A FECAL SAMPLE TO YOUR VET ASAP!

-Gavin

These are common bacteria, and parasites, that are found in the water and soil. All new pups need to be taken to the vet, right away, for that first puppy check up, as Kim and all the experts recommend, and kept on the worming schedule that you can find pinned to the top of the New Pups forum, titled, "Important Info For Puppy Owners".

I have never heard of giardia or cocciadia perhaps we don't get it over here?

Giardia is a problem where we live, too, and causes symptoms similar to amoebic dysentery. Here it is primarily transmitted through beaver feces, of all things. We have an old beaver dam upstream from our house, and it is in all of the rivers.

Peanut butter is good for disguising pills, too, and has the added benefit of being entertaining for us while we watch our dog lick the roofs of their mouths for five minutes! I don't do this much, since I'm not sure the dogs enjoy the process as much as I do, but they do loooove peanut butter.

Karen

Sterling's ears are almost up. It took Phoenix almost 4 months to get there, but I think Sterling will be quite a bit taller by Monday.

Ophelia, have you gotten your pup yet? Be sure to post pix soon.

Drifter, have you named your little girl?

We are throwing a puppy shower on Sunday afternoon 6/29 if anyone is going to be in the area.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll get you more details.

-Gavin

Edited by Gavin
Sterling's ears are almost up. It took Phoenix almost 4 months to get there, but I think Sterling will be quite a bit taller by Monday.

We are throwing a puppy shower on Sunday afternoon 6/29 if anyone is going to be in the area.

-Gavin

Hi Gavin,

No, not yet. But the good news is that I will get him tomorrow evening. I am very excited. Today my son and I are going shopping for him to have things ready. I have another dog at home which is a ten years old Shitz tzu. A very sweet and lazy dog. I am wondering how the two dogs are going to get along!!

I will post picture either tomorrow or the day after. Have a wonderful puppy shower.

Ophelia

-Gavin

I just decided yesterday, but I have a question. On the pedigree and registration paper we are given space for a first and second choice of names with the info explaining that no two dogs may have the same name. Does this mean within the litter, or does this mean any two sold by Kim, or any two registered with the American Indian Dog registry? Thanks.

Drifter