Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Does anyones else dog walk and or run side ways? Its weird to watch its like hes gotting into some drugs or alcohol.

Does anyones else dog walk and or run side ways? Its weird to watch its like hes gotting into some drugs or alcohol.

Danza's gait is straight, but I've seen plenty of dogs walking on what looks like a slant. Put a ladder on the ground and get him to walk over it - he'll have to focus on getting his paws in a line in order to say within the ladder. The exercise gets them thinking about coordinating their back legs with their front.

Great point Karen. wonderful teaching tool....Tolinka on rare occasion looks like he is moving to the side. What is that dressage movement where the horse moves slightly to the right or left, but so not cross their legs in front of each other?

Natalie, how dramatic is this movement?

Its quite cool to watch though ive seen wolfs and coyotes walk this way, i dont know if its a triat from way back when or what, i love watching him, he does his little butt back wiggle, i just did'nt know if any of the other dogs did this, i kinda let him roam around outside alot so when he walks back to me its side ways but when he get closer hes on the playful attack mode and runs straight. so its weird not use to it but its fun to watch him..

Y'all gotta remember also, basically- dogs are not born Knowing they have back feet. Those feet just play along with the others, not like front feet, which they use to dig and grab and such.. Teaching them to put their back feet on something, like a piece of plywood (via shaping) can be very beneficial to them in the long run.

Just my $0.02

and Jasper can and will run in almost any direction. I have seen him do a slow controlled 180 at a full run, while playing. Gracefully switching directions and feet, in an amazing display of coordination. Only to wipe out and do a couple somersaults in the grass.. lol

Coyo and Sitka both do all the gaits, and I think most of the dogs do. And yes, Miss M, it is like Dressage.

When I used to run a lot with Coyo, I learned that it rests one group of his muscles. Try it when you're jogging along, and start to tire.

They do move beautifully.

I took notice today that when Tolinka does his "side winding, it is at an easy trot. At a full blown run, he is straight as an arrow.....unless there is a switch of direction of course. They do have beautiful gaits, and they all look so easy for them. It must be that they have "Fred Astaire" genes... :lol: they are so light on their feet......oops dating myself.

I took notice today that when Tolinka does his "side winding, it is at an easy trot. At a full blown run, he is straight as an arrow.....unless there is a switch of direction of course. They do have beautiful gaits, and they all look so easy for them. It must be that they have "Fred Astaire" genes... :lol: they are so light on their feet......oops dating myself.

This is Chhaya....she does her sideways gait at a trot or lope...that full blown run is straight as a arrow too like a bullet....the only thing moving is her feet!!! Change of direction is amazing too....Koda waits lowers her head and slinks slowly towards Chhaya then boom there is Chhaya like a bullet into the weeds and Koda off after her....then Koda appears from the weeds and waits...and waits....boom there's Chhaya...boom Chhaya's in the weeds again....then they both emerge and like bullets they are running side by side up the lane...this is what they do every night after we are done riding....WHERE does that energy come from? The gaits they have always makes me smile....I love to see these dogs moving the different ways they can!!! Truly an amazing breed!!!

Danza's gait is straight, but I've seen plenty of dogs walking on what looks like a slant. Put a ladder on the ground and get him to walk over it - he'll have to focus on getting his paws in a line in order to say within the ladder. The exercise gets them thinking about coordinating their back legs with their front.

my dogs would be afraid of the ladder

Edited by linda

Thanks for all the input, I don't want to correct his walk I like it, its suits his personality.... Hope everyone has a great time with their dogs I know I'am

I love that move where they plant their front feet, and then their back end jumps around, to face them in the opposite direction. That always brings a smile.