Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Winter Puppys

I also have a new parent question. Josie went to her first puppy visit last Monday in Cottage Grove OR and our local vet refused to list her correct breed. They said that they never heard of an AI daog and are trying to list her as a husky mix. We are quite upset with their lack of understanding and willingness to learn.

If you really like them as vets, you have nothing to lose by asking why they aren't interested in learning more about Josie's background. I've gotten pretty used to people being unreasonably ignorant when it comes to my AID, and not everyone deserves to be abandoned for it. Give them a chance (and you can always let them know you are considering switching practices.)

Karen

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also have a new parent question. Josie went to her first puppy visit last Monday in Cottage Grove OR and our local vet refused to list her correct breed. They said that they never heard of an AI daog and are trying to list her as a husky mix. We are quite upset with their lack of understanding and willingness to learn. No matter of education seems to make any headway with them. Does anyone have any suggestions? The sad part about this is that our family has been going to this office for over 25 years. A few years ago the original owner Dr.Bill Stienkruger passed away unexpectedly and the office was sold to someone from Veneta. I would hate to have to look for a new doctor for her but that maybe what happens. Any suggestions out there? By the way Josie is just a wonderful dog and our daugter has already started talking about one for her family. :ph34r:

Amazing. Has the vet read the web site, and all the work Kim has done and still feels this way? He sounds like he believes the only real dogs are AKA approved. :lol: Now that's just down right silly.

Who ever is the photographer in your family should go pro......beautiful lighting, and that puppy....OMG! She is soooooo beautiful. Have fun, and congratulations.

I am a pro photographer! Thanks for the kudos!

Amazing. Has the vet read the web site, and all the work Kim has done and still feels this way? He sounds like he believes the only real dogs are AKA approved. :ph34r: Now that's just down right silly.

Another thing you can do - since it seems you have to prove the breed - is print off some of the information on Kim's sight describing the breed. I agree with Molly, that this vet seems to only think AKA breeds are the only viable breed of pups. Does he/she not approve of mutts - which our dogs are??????? OK, now I'll be mad for you. The reasoning is just silly.

15 years ago when we first got Willie we showed our vet the info from the website because very few people have heard of the American Indian Dog.

JudyK

I also have a new parent question. Josie went to her first puppy visit last Monday in Cottage Grove OR and our local vet refused to list her correct breed. They said that they never heard of an AI daog and are trying to list her as a husky mix. We are quite upset with their lack of understanding and willingness to learn. No matter of education seems to make any headway with them. Does anyone have any suggestions? The sad part about this is that our family has been going to this office for over 25 years. A few years ago the original owner Dr.Bill Stienkruger passed away unexpectedly and the office was sold to someone from Veneta. I would hate to have to look for a new doctor for her but that maybe what happens. Any suggestions out there? By the way Josie is just a wonderful dog and our daugter has already started talking about one for her family. :ph34r:

Sorry for all of this. When we first got Hawk and I took him in for a check-up they were looking at me as if I was making his breed up. But they did write him down as an American Indian Dog. Also, when we got his license they rolled their eye's but didn't hesitate to write his breed down. Then they asked a million questions. We live in a small town and everyone knows Hawk. They all think he is the most handsome dog they had ever seen. I almost have had a handfull of people talked into visiting Kim.

Don't get to discouraged, just educate them about Josie.

You may want to get in touch with Star, she lives closer to you than I do. Maybe she has a suggestion on a vet.

Just my opinions. Lisa

Took me a while to find the right vet. I stayed somewhere were I got the rolled eye treatment, because the doc was good, but over the years, even the doc was treating me like that, and it really bugged me. I thought, "Hey, I've paid you all this money (and let's face it- it is substantial, these days), and you can't be respectful?"

I complained to the group, but stuck it out, until one day, because of an emergency vet visit, to an open clinic on a Saturday, I met this really cool older doctor, who had seen a lot of things, and was aware of the pros and cons of akc rules, and had seen his share of inbreeding problems.

Oh my Dog! An open mind! We've been very happy with him, ever since.

That is a really cute picture of your pup sleeping, by the way.

Currier, wow.....I feel pretty lucky...our vets were interested and so happy that we researched the breed before we got Chhaya! They welcomed Koda too!

Did you try taking the registration papers with you?

I cannot believe that people can be so close minded to something different....hope it works out for you!!! I will be interested in how this all works out.....

Josie sure looks like a sweetie!!!

When we took Ma'ii to his first vet visit here in Kingman,AZ I took the breed standards with me for his file. The front desk didn't know what an AID was, typed in mixed breed. I complained to the vet, and at his next visit was pleased to see that American Indian Dog was listed as his breed, in fact the vet asked me several intelligent questions about the breed. I say find a new vet.

Johnson Family from AZ.

When I first introduced my vet to AID Tolinka, he fortunately knew a little something about the breed. He was actually excited to meet one face to face. He commented on how well behaved Tolinka was and liked his mellow disposition and personality. I'm with Larry and Karen...maybe its time to shop around for someone who is at least open minded to the breed and therefore understanding about the passion of the owners. If they are not understanding about that, how much are they going to respect you and understand you as an owner of a very special animal? The other alternative, as mentioned earlier, is to educate your present vet.... That could be a really fun mission. :rolleyes: Good luck.

When I first introduced my vet to AID Tolinka, he fortunately knew a little something about the breed. He was actually excited to meet one face to face. He commented on how well behaved Tolinka was and liked his mellow disposition and personality. I'm with Larry and Karen...maybe its time to shop around for someone who is at least open minded to the breed and therefore understanding about the passion of the owners. If they are not understanding about that, how much are they going to respect you and understand you as an owner of a very special animal? The other alternative, as mentioned earlier, is to educate your present vet.... That could be a really fun mission. :rolleyes: Good luck.

Thank you guys for all of the support you are offering. Tomorrow Josi will be going in for her second set of puppy shots. I will be bringing ALOT of information on the AI breed to enlighten the staff there. Hopefully they will not be losing our business over there narrow mindedness. My daughter pulled every bit of information she could about the breed so that it maybe placed in Josie's chart. Who knows, my next post might be looking for a vet referral.

On another note this picture was taken today. Josie is trying to figure out where the braying donkey is coming from. So far that is the only sound that she is not to sure about. Nothing else seems to bother her. We absolutely love her. She is nothing but joy. Thank you Kim.

015.JPG

soooooooooooooooo cute I love the one withthe butt in the air & toys

Miakoda

Her first night home!

IMG_7582_copy.jpg

IMG_7589_copy.jpg

IMG_7595_copy.jpg

IMG_7566_copy.jpg

What a face. He is really cute. So glad you've got so many good pictures.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Where have all the winter pups gone? Yoo hoo :D anyone out there? WE WANT PICS AND STORIES!

Kim says no pups expected to be ready until May or a little later. I know it's hard to wait, but honestly, that's really right around the corner.

Kim says no pups expected to be ready until May or a little later. I know it's hard to wait, but honestly, that's really right around the corner.

IMG_2206.JPG

IMG_2222.jpg

And this guy here is Togo. He's is smart and he loves to be outside with the family and playing. And he thinks he's all that blah,blah,blah.blah,blah but that's alright because he is =p

Oh man! What a cutie. You got some classic AIDog shots.