Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

- I still need some advice he is really being a brat. He was good all day and then tonight he growled at my husband when he was reaching for something on the sofa where he had snuck on. (He is kicked off all furniture that is not his) Later my husband went to bed before me and he snuck onto the bed with him when i came in he got off and went straight into his crate, but when i went to close the door he barked and growled at me . i told him to knock it off and covered the crate with a blanket . Just when i think he is starting to get it he pulls another stunt. I guess tomorrow he goes back on the leash around my waist or any ideas you have ? We are making him wait at every doorway, all his food comes from my hand for a sit or down.....everything seems to be better and then suddenly back 2 steps. Should i squirt him with water when he growls he doesn't seem to care if i growl at him. I do stare him down too. He is very bold and sneaky. We have been reading Cesar nonstop and other info on getting your Alpha on point and are about 2 weeks into the rule change.

ANY advice is warmly welcomed- thanks

Oh, the challenges!!!! :o If you remember, I had the growling/barking and trying to snap too.....it happens almost not at all when he is exercised twice a day for at least a half hour to an hour (running, jumping, chasing me or a toy, stick etc.- off leash). Taking most toys out of our living area helped too, and we confined them to just his area in the kitchen....I have gone to just taking out balls and things when we are going to play. Most everything goes away, and then when he sees toys, he gets excited! Bully sticks, horns and the kong are treats he gets once or twice a day, which he loves and appreciates more now...we used to leave those things laying around, thinking that was good, as it was there when he wanted it (which makes THEM the alpha, not you, as I learned!!!

From day one, we made upstairs, where the bedrooms are, off limits. When we say time for sleep, he goes straight away to his crate without a problem, and doesn't mind when we close the gate...now that he is 7 months old, we will try not closing the gate and letting him be in the kitchen/entry area..guaranteed he will sleep in his "cave" (crate), as he so often does when he naps during the day, with the gate open.

I also used to notice that if I growled back at him, it didn't make a difference. If I got annoyed, and said "KNOCK IT OFF", "CUT IT OUT" or "NO", it would make it worse!! So now I immedately get up, IGNORE him when he gets that way, and turn away from him...he tries to jump and still makes the growly/barky noises, but I keep ignoring him and turning away, until I hear him settle down- that usually takes less than a minute. I then turn around and say in a pleased tone: "YES!" If he starts again (which is rare, but still happens), I do this all over again, to show him that this is NOT acceptable..it works all the time.

I was on the couch once, and he usually lays at our feet when we watch TV, and he started the low growl (for no apparent reason), and I raised my hand above his head, no emotions, nothing....and he looked up, sat and waited...and I once again said YES! in a pleased tone....and he settled, with me giving him some well deserved petting.

Sometimes, or in my case, anyway, when I desperately want a solution to the problem, I read and read, get books, go on the internet, watch videos, etc....and then my head swims with too much info!!! :blink: I do believe that when I let my instinct take over, that the solution is usually right in front of me, and I actually KNOW the answer. Sounds silly, right? But when I strip myself of all the overwhelming information out there, it turns out I do know what to do!. Patience is key, obviously, but I also think my initial reaction to treat him like one of my kids l(humans can understand the words we say) instead of the dog he is undermines what I want to achieve, lol! I think dogs listen when they know something GOOD is going to happen at the end...reprimanding with a raised voice just makes them think ...oh oh...here it comes...I don't like this...So, enter the simple act of not accepting his behavior by ignoring, and not letting it get to you. Then, reinforce the good behavoir with a pleasant voice and praise.

Just my 5 cents worth (LOL, this is longer than just 2 cents)...I feel your pain at figuring this out..but, hopefully some things makes sense that I have experienced, and may help you just a little. They ARE teenagers, aren't they?? But, I must say, easier than worrying about them drinking and driving and all the other worries of human children!!! :wacko::P

• Like 3

Just my 5 cents worth (LOL, this is longer than just 2 cents)...I feel your pain at figuring this out..but, hopefully some things makes sense that I have experienced, and may help you just a little. They ARE teenagers, aren't they?? But, I must say, easier than worrying about them drinking and driving and all the other worries of human children!!! :wacko::P

Thank you thank you for your perspective... we are coming through this and i sincerely appreciate your 5 cents. I love the flea and tick spray you sent too- we will let you know how it goes we are in for a monster flea season.

• Like 2

Thank you thank you for your perspective... we are coming through this and i sincerely appreciate your 5 cents. I love the flea and tick spray you sent too- we will let you know how it goes we are in for a monster flea season.

So glad you like my spray! I am also glad we have this forum for moral support, and if any experience I have can help, it's nice to hear. We are not alone! :) I'm sure you will come through the other side with Zuni...today Wyot turned 7 months...I'm sure he still has some tricks up his paws for us, LOL!!

• Like 2

Tayamni didn't test us so much but Coffey - Uhhh, not the same issues as you guys have had - but he tested and tested. He's coming up on 2 years old and has stopped testing us as much ..... and then after months of not taking food from the counter, guess WHO tried to eat the cat food the other day .... :wacko:

I wonder if it helped with him (he is VERY willful) that he had Tayamni there who didn't challenge like he did. She did some but always shared and she tested when she was younger - then got indifferent as a teenager.

Coffey growled a few times when he was younger (with raw chicken & also a cow trachea - and I took it away immediately. Then worked with resource guarding. Taking food away and giving it back when he sat or did something I asked). I guess we got lucky he started that younger and it was easier to work with?

We have used the turn back and ignore - in certain situations and the calm ignoring energy does help a lot. Calm Alpha energy. Tough Love.

My sister had a bed guarding, resource guarding, fear aggressive NON AI Dog before Coffey so we were already in NOT GONNA HAVE ANY OF THAT mode with each AI Pup. We went through years of consistent training after having a special trainer come in and work with the dog and us.

I feel for you both with having to Nip this stuff before it becomes habit.

It seems like they are teenage testing - calm Alpha - tough love, it's a mantra we have to hold the space for!

• Like 3

9AphaDogSecretsSiberian.pdf In doing my reading I came across this article which made Alpha really concrete for me--I wanted to share for others who have less natural ablilty like me -- It was written for Siberian huskies which I think are similar in temperament .

• Like 1

Hi:

Just a random thought, but I've heard of things like this in the past... and it's always better to be safe than sorry. ... But... is your husband healthy? Maybe puppy smells/senses something inside hubby's body??? Most likely, it is a behavioral thing that he is going through, but you never know. ...

I haven't checked to see if you posted other things that your boy does, so I don't know the history. With fresh eyes looking in from from just your first post in this thread alone, it seems that there is a significance between his growling and your husband.

• Like 2
Hi:

Just a random thought, but I've heard of things like this in the past... and it's always better to be safe than sorry. ... But... is your husband healthy? Maybe puppy smells/senses something inside hubby's body??? Most likely, it is a behavioral thing that he is going through, but you never know. ...

I haven't checked to see if you posted other things that your boy does, so I don't know the history. With fresh eyes looking in from from just your first post in this thread alone, it seems that there is a significance between his growling and your husband.

Thanks Nytebyker but no he is pushing things with everyone in the household. My husband just isn't very aware around dogs and not very consistent about rules

we are all getting better though.

• Like 3