Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

How fast is your dog? Have you clocked it to find out? Elena is currently running over five acres at 3o mph. She doesn't even get to breathing hard until after 10 acres. We still are a bit timid to max her out for a top sprint speed. We know miles aren't an issue. They seem to be able to run at a lope all day. All our dogs run at least 5 miles daily or they start to look unhealthy. Again, just curious to know about others.

• Like 1

Ssshhh. Don't tell my dog. He'll want to come and run in your pasture.

While I have never timed my dogs (very impressed that you have) I can see that if I was on horseback, that would be the perfect speed for Sitka. Clearly both my past AIDog and Sitka can keep up this level of activity all day, and we can cover a lot of ground. Walking is almost awkward. Sitka always trots and prances (or slinks).

Thank goodness for those retractable leads. He literally prances rings around me.

• Like 3

We have 59 acres and when we go for walks mooka will run like he is running dor hos life lol and then run back to us a give us a look like what is taking you so long then turn and run ahead again,never tracked his speed but he is fast when in the back of house he loves to run in circles around in a big cirle he is in heaven when he is running

• Like 7

The fastest we've ever seen Kaposia run was in a 3 acre dog park when she was chased by a foxhound. She out ran him easily for quite some time, and when she tired, she came and stood between our legs for protection. The foxhound later attacked another dog and was asked to leave. She also likes to run in large circles in the fenced back yard, and is so happy just to run and run. I don't know how Kim determines the characteistics of the dogs when they are such tiny puppies. During our interview it was determined that a medium energy dog would be best for us, and Kaposia fits that perfectly. She has plenty of energy and is very playful, but we are able to keep her happy with 3 long sessions of fetch and frisbee each day. She takes two naps a day, a short one about mid morning, and a longer one mid afternoon. She is much faster than we are for sure, even inside the house. When she snatches contraband (paper napkins, socks & underwear on laundry day) it takes both of us to corner her and get her to drop it...quite a sight I'm sure....but it keeps us moving, getting up and down crawling around on the dining room floor as she dodges between the table and chair legs!

• Like 6

We asked for and received a lower energy dog as we are "seniors" :) . We have about 2 acres and Ayita and I walk the perimeter twice a day up to a mile each time. Then we play ball for about 20 minutes each time. She is really fast and loves to jump high for that ball. Other than that we are outside a lot and she follows us around. Sometimes it's just not enough though and she will put her ears back, stretch out low to the ground and run like the wind around and around the property. We egg her on by clapping and cheering :D .

• Like 5

Fun Question!!!

I never clocked Nakoma, but he is the fastest one on the beach so far with the dogs we have met. We don't own any acres or anything, but we run six days a week ranging 5 to 12 miles, with future sporadic 20-30 milers (I only do those about twice a year or so), and all that running is in the soft white sand. On the lower mileage days, he still has tons of energy and can be quite rambunctious because he is not tired at all.

Of course, I am not fast by any means, but he is off leash during our runs, and when we come across other dogs, he "flies" over to them to play and then he has them chase him... yet nobody can catch him. (So, with all the back and forth loop-de-loops that he does when running, he probably runs several miles more than I do on any given day). And I've had several comments from other dog owners say "wow, he is fast!" or say to their dogs "wow, my dog has met his match.." and so on. He has yet to meet a greyhound, but he has outrun a vizsla!

• Like 6

Chhaya is like a lightning bolt...never clocked her...when she is excited it seems those circles get bigger and faster! She goes around the house it seems in one second....and heaven forbid that she gets the "crazies" in the house...rugs fly everywhere...she runs along side me when I ride horses...when I'm galloping full speed up a hill, she's flying ahead of me. No one can believe how fast she is...they just stand there in aw. It is amazing to watch her and she loves it!!!

• Like 4

Squint, with her bad knee, is somewhat slower than ***FLASH*** as we sometimes call Junior Squint at the park. Before Lili developed her bad knee she had a reasonable speed coefficient and didn't hesitate to use it. Once her knee went out though she's less enthusiastic about revving up the engine full throttle. She does however engage ***FLASH*** on occasion but the speed disparity is blatantly obvious & Kona exploits it with 'wreckless' abandon.

That said Lili is the master of interception. She'll lie in wait, calculating the perfect interception angle, speed & heading to use when Kona is off tormenting some other dog with her ***FLASH*** impression and then "WHAM", out of the blue there's Squint toppling her Arse over Teacup in a wicked display of "Whadidyou, forgetaboutme?" Her favorite past-time, like her brother Waki's, is to sit on her opponent until she acquiesces to the beat down. ***FLASH*** hates when that happens. Gets totally indignant.

The speed thing is really amazing as Kona has 'caught' a Greyhound at full throttle with a 20-30 yard head start on her! She has a habit of running up to all the dogs in the park when we arrive to meet & greet and this time there was a new Greyhound at the park & she just HAD to meet her. Unfortunately, or so I thought, the Greyhound was already in hot pursuit of a little foof and was tearing down the trail at a serious clip. ***FLASH*** caught her in nothing flat and the Greyhound's person came up to me all out of breath & everything saying, "...that's the most unbelievable thing I've ever seen!"

Rather routine in the life of ***FLASH*** and her sister Squint!

park1.jpg
3969.2.jpg
  • Like 8

China, loved that. So familiar, with one exception: Coyo was one of the fastest at the park, but he and his competitors began to studiously ignore each other. It was funny. The greyhounds were the fastest, but that second tier of dogs pretended not to see each other. I was quite interesting.

Sitka likes to run, but he is more of a "nose to the ground" kind of guy. I think he would love the sneak attack. And sitting on the victim? Did they learn that from my brothers?

• Like 4

Tayamni did the puppy rear tuck when little and then about 5 - 6 months of age became the fastest dog at the park.

She however has lost that distinction since Coffey came - who has NEVER puppy run BUT always ran outstretched - hence the puppy injuries he accumulated ...

(the funny thing is that my sister was accident prone as a child and her pup had followed in her footsteps ... no way Kim could have predicted that!!!!!!)

Then as Tayamni became around a year old, she stopped running flat out and only once in a while shows bursts of speed.

It's funny, she will run only as fast as she needs to. She likes to figure angles and wait for the dog she is playing with and run up that way - conserving energy.

So Tayamni seems to have slowed down, until she was just chasing Coffey the other day and he seems to be faster than her - dislocated toe and all - nothing keeps him down.

He is faster than dogs twice his size. We have had greyhounds at the dog park. some other quick dogs, too. All the owners' jaws drop when they see Coffey go! They thought Tayamni was fast.

I wonder why Tayamni doesn't run flat out like she used to? She does once in a while and I can see she loves the run/ really there is joy on her face. It seems she is happy enough going at the other dogs speeds - because she likes to chase them and not balls or Frisbees, I guess ..... oh, then wait they are coming back - let me only run half way then ....

I'm still trying to figure out If she is actually getting lazy or really smartly conserving energy?????

• Like 6

"All the owners' jaws drop when they see Coffey go!" I love it! Just goes to show the abilities of our dogs! Tayamni isn't lazy...very smart I would say...:*)

• Like 2

I think that sums it up.

• Like 1

Cake is fast. Waki was not graced with long legs but makes up for that in out thinking the moving game. I suppose he is fast, since he catches and eats many critters but compared to Cake he looks slow.

• Like 3