Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

What Are Your Plans For The Christmas Holiday.

As a child I had to go everywhere. Both my Mother and Father had remarried which brought on a lot of family gatherings through the holidays. I think I had something like 6-8 different places to go throughout the christmas holiday. I miss seeing all the family but I am glad that is all over. It just was not enjoyable.

Since starting my own family 14 years ago we have tried to limit our gathering to about 2-3. Tomorrow night we are having my mom and grandma out for some baked potato soup and to watch my girls open their gifts from them and my sister which sent gifts up from Florida. Christmas morning we will get up and have our own private christmas then we get ready to go to my inlaws. We have a traditional get together breakfast before opening gifts. This will consist of my family, my wifes brothers and their families, and her parents. Sometimes some of the rural neighbors stop in to say high. After all of that we help with the cleanup and start back home.

That is pretty much it. Although my oldest daughter which is my step daughter will be doing what I used to do. She has about 5-6 places to go. She is 21 and I have raised her since she was 7. She is my daughter in every sense of the word. I feel for her. Anyways that is what I am doing. I hope everyone has a great and safe holiday. If I don't get back on here before then.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

ROY

We have to endure the obligatory in-laws visit: trek an hour up the hiway, go let the dogs play for a little while at the local (lame) dog park, then coop them up in the car for several hours while the inlaws let us know that we don't have actual children or careers... And feed us food that we aren't at all partial to.

Frustrates the heck out of us, that his parents allow the grand children (human) in the house to run around and play and be with family, where our 'kids' are confined to the car and occasional leash walks in the yard. Regardless that our dogs are far better behaved than the human rug-rats. :|

But that is tomorrow. And we are planning a nice actual Xmas day to ourselves with slow cooked turkey and other good things. I am also glad that I work mon morning, but not tues. whew!

Have a great holiday everybody. Stay safe and snug.

We are home this year, as opposed to going to Toronto (long travel day, good chance of catching a cold on the plane, and crazy family obligations while we are there. It's very formal, too, with black tie Christmas dinner, etc.)

Home years, by contrast, are laid-back, easy and fun. Get up at a human hour, open gifts, have lox and bagels, play with gifts until we leave for a Chinese dinner and a movie. We're seeing Skyfall this year. So no big cooking project for three people for me! Horray.

Spending time with my son and his family in Napa California this year. Next year my daughter and her family are "graced" with my company in Colorado.... :) I get to be the one that floats to them, it's easier that way......one person, that would be me v/s my children's families packed to the gunnels with little kids, pack and plays, diaper bags, suitcases filled with the necessary dress code stuff, plus the gifts....so much easier, AND no mess at my house....I like it! I am totally enjoying "THEIR" Christmas traditions that seem to be a combination of their own, the in laws and the "outlaws" It's great fun. Lots of cooking, and a few gatherings with friends.....and how I do love the egg nog. Have a great time everyone. :D

Roy, nice topic. I can just imagine you and your extended family. Sounds nice in a crazy sort of way. Guess family driving each other crazy is a universal ingredient.

Hey Karen Skyfall is in our plans too! Like you, we are not schlepping cross country this year either. Won't miss the joys of commercial air travel or "crazy family obligations" (Shhhhhh don't tell some of my family members about the black tie - wouldn't want that to be catching).

As a Buddhist I enjoy the beauty of the spiritual and religious aspects of the holiday but I feel relief at the distance from the pressure of high expectations it seems so many people place on the themselves over the day (my extended family being no exception). I like random family visits not tied to anything or thanks giving where everyone eats until they pop (hard to have over the top fantasy expectations where over eating and lethargy are the goal).

Yep, Star family feel entitled to tell us indiscreetly, things we would only very privately and gently tell a very very good friend, because no matter what you're stuck with them and because "they care"... we are fortunate to have a brother and sister in law with whom we enjoy a great deal of black humor over the "caring truths" our in laws like to deliver to us (we kids seem to all commit the same infractions).

Today we shopped - it was nice to be out in the energy of other peoples' families filled with visions of that last minute deal on sugar plumbs. Walked in the woods -Brrrr feels like snow. Christmas eve duck. Music and a fire. Sleep in, work out, Skyfall matinee while the roast slow cooks...We opened all our presents the second they came because we could. Ho Ho Ho.

May your Christmas be delightful in unexpected ways. Happy new year, blessings and good health.

We're doing N O T H I N G !!!!!! Don't get many invitations that include three 'kids'. It is absolutely beautiful in Northern Michigan. The snow is falling and it truly looks like a Christmas card. We have about 14" on the ground -- the ski resorts are thrilled since last year we had no snow!!!! Our kids love the snow -- hate the heat!!!

Enjoy your holidays however you celebrate and make sure you tell the ones you love they are truly appreciated and important in your lives!!!

JudyK

WE ARE GRAND DOG SITTING THIS CHRISTMAS. HAWK HAS BEEN ENTERTAINING HIS GREAT NEPHEW CHIEF ( AKA CHIEF JOSEPH) AND KYLA THE DINGGY LAB. LOVE THEM ALL, BUT TIREING.

THEY DID LOVE THEIR NEW CHEWY TOYS AND TREATS. BUT THE THEY ALWAYS GET TREATS AT GRANDMA'S.

MAY ALL OF YOU HAVE A BLESSED CHRISTMAS!

FROM LISA, DARIN, HAWK, CHIEF AND KYLA

:wub: I love AID companions...you all are the best. Thanks for being here....time to zzzzzzzz. Merry Ho Ho!

We survived the trip to the in-laws unscathed. Well, K'ne did thoughtfully remove the tag from one of the blankets we put in the back of the truck for them.. lol

And the kids are now proudly wearing their new RedDingo tags from Pethub and snuggling on their new blankies. :)

JasperNewTag.JPG K'neNewTag.jpg

Roy..I know your story all to well myself as my parents divorced and remarried..and remarried and remarried!! :wacko: And somehow you still feel you have the connection to the previous ones and was always invited to their events.. even if they were x's. Under our Ti pi.... lived His (2 boys), Mine (1 girl), & Ours (1 boy). Which they are all OURS. The two older boys both have different biological moms are married themselves with children, the daughter is engaged to be married, and we have a sophomore at home yet. It is very difficult to get us all together during the holidays with all there other gatherings too. I don't know how many times we have put it off into January just so we can all be together but now that grandchildren are involved it makes it even harder. 2 of the 3 grand-kids knows Santa does not bring presents in January. We did manage to get ours done last night (last minute idea of the kids while I was notified at my Moms having Christmas Dinner) Needless to say I had to cut my time too short with my momma to hurry home to get things started for our Dinner here. Can get pretty darn hectic & stressful but so soooo worth it. And Dad is paying for it today because he had to get up at 2 a.m. to get ready for work when they all didn't leave last night til after 11 p.m. -_-

Then we wake up to Santa gifts for the 3 in the household yet and I must add... I must have not to Naughty as Santa left me tons of goodies!! :wub: My Moc-Stock (Stocking that looks like a knee high moccasin) was filled with glass beads in all sorts of tube colors, needles, nymo threads, a dog collar & leash with a note that says happy beading & also had the book... Neither Wolf Nor Dog in it! :D

If I can figure out how to do it I will put a photo of 1 of the 20 pictures the kids had taken for us for our Christmas gift.

Hope you all Have A Very Merry Christmas & an Exciting 2013!!! Be safe on you travelling journeys!!

Oooo skull and cross bones! In pink.

Tonya you guys look like a lot of fun.

Waki helped me get a 2 hour work out along some nice cross country ski trails. Too bad we don't have your snow JudyK. I could only wish I were in my snow shoes. It's mostly brown down here. Waki also found a dead frozen mouse and a dead frozen worm which he offered to me (mmmmm dead things for christmas). He also criticized my choice of trails by doing a weird run back and fourth in front of me thing, leaping and biting my glove then doing a summer salt and rolling around so we had to keep stopping. We changed trails and that seemed to be what he wanted.