• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 Jeep

Jeep

• IIDOBA Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

I just read that Innova was bought out by Proctor and Gamble and this disheartens me completely as they are well known for their cruelty to animals. It p**ses me off when something like this happens. It won't be long before (although they claim they won't)they start using inferior products in the Natura/Innova products. I'm going to buy Soul a BIG bag today and it looks like I'll be driving the 49 miles to get Candidae soon! ARGH

I am an Innova user and share your sentiments re P&G. I was recently introduced to Acana dog food made by Champion Petfoods in Alberta, Canada. No grain and everything is fished or grown in their region and delivered to the factory fresh each day and Canada's pet food industry is more closely regulated than those in the U.S. Check out their website where you can find stores that carry Acana. Sorry if I sound like a commercial. I'm just very impressed with their pet food.

#42 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7689 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:45 PM

This is a pet food that I have recently been introduced to. Thanks Jeep, for bringing it to our attention:

Champion Foods
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#43 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2342 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:05 AM

Where do y'all get your bullies and antlers and such?
Any favorite brands? Online stores?
Just planning ahead :lol: --Kidlet (puppy) will need chewies, and Mina loves them too of course (tho some of her 'chew' is satisfied at breakfast on her chickenbones)
Thanks everyone!

OOO maybe one of you moderators can start a Food/Treats Source thread?

Edited by Starghoti, 21 July 2010 - 07:06 AM.

"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#44 DebiSlaughter

DebiSlaughter

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:57 AM

Where do y'all get your bullies and antlers and such?
Any favorite brands? Online stores?
Just planning ahead B) --Kidlet (puppy) will need chewies, and Mina loves them too of course (tho some of her 'chew' is satisfied at breakfast on her chickenbones)
Thanks everyone!

OOO maybe one of you moderators can start a Food/Treats Source thread?

Here is the website which we get Soul's chews from. Amazon has them at competitive prices. http://www.freerangedogchews.com/
"Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children" - Unknown

#45 puckmonkey

puckmonkey

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

I had a St. Bernard that got Addisons Disease. I started doing research on it and found that food is a factor in it. When I was readind about it, I came across the same info that they were putting euthanized animals in dog food and that would cause medical issues to flair up. Well I didn't know what else to do from then on because he had to be on certain ingredients by then so I had to read labels and be picky. I had done so much reading and research and was about to give up hope until I found Halo Spots Stew. It was everything that he needed and up to my standards too. He ended up living for three more years after his diagnosis at the ripe old age of 11 (which is old for that breed). So, this would be the food of my choice.

#46 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts
  • Interests:Photography, drawing, painting, cooking, dog training, film making

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

Hummm....every dog is different. I've tried Danza on two different Canidae blends, and neither of them sat well with her. We're trying to find a lower protein food to help with her urinary system, and it would have fit the bill if it hadn't gone right through her. So, continuing with food trials. :(
I do beautiful, wild, unique abstract photography.
www.karenhyams.com
And here's my dog Danza
custom_dog_nema2_small.jpg

#47 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2342 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:45 AM

Yeah- even the Canidae Grain Free didn't work for my kids. I am sticking with the 'Limited Ingredient' formulas from now on. Saves on Yard Debris, if you know what I mean.. :(
My guys really like and their bodies process well- Natural Balance, Potato and Duck formula.
link to manufacturer

between that for dinner and raw breakfast, they both seem to be thriving.
(vet did full blood panel before Jas's elective surgery, and it came back fantabulous!)

Just my 2
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#48 judisquest

judisquest

• IIDOBA Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

Any opinions on the brand Wellness. Seems very organic, just started my older AIdog on it and shee seems to like it very well.

#49 judyk

judyk

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 837 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

Our dogs didn't like it. We feed Chicken Soup brand and they can't eat it fast enough. We have an old AID and a 4 year old and a 2 year old.
[font=Comic Sans Ms]

Judy in Michigan

#50 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2220 posts
  • Interests:Wishing you Joy, Blessings and Wisdom

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

Aha! I knew fantabulous was a word. Waki loves dairy. He likes goat yogurt, kefir, goat milk, and any kind of cheese. He also will eat blue berries - it's really cute to watch. Freeze dried liver is also a great training treat. I like it better than hot dogs because I don't end up with hot dog fingers for the whole walk.

#51 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2342 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:03 AM

I like this, Dog Food Advisor, as a source of information.
And this site includes current Recall information on the lower left side of links, in an area called Latest Articles. Which includes all sorts of dog food news.

Currently we are using NutriSource. American sourced and produced, high quality, moderately priced, and the kids like it. Along with our raw and people food (gasp!!) :)

#52 maria

maria

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:My AIDog Chhaya...herbs, gardening, the outdoors.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

I think checking recalls is VERY IMPORTANT!!! Good info Starghoti!!! There are alot that are recalled....I have switched to Flint River Ranch brand dog foods...IT'S NEVER BEEN RECALLED! The website is www.frrco.com You can order it online or by phone and it comes right to your door!!! Love that since I'm at least 45 minutes from a good pet store.
I feed a raw diet to Chhaya and Koda with a small amount of the Flint River Ranch dog food. This way if I am away or don't have the raw food ready then they can eat the dry dog food a meal or so without upsetting their stomachs.
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

-Ancient Indian Proverb-

#53 judyk

judyk

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 837 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

We do the same with our kids too. I always cook for them and they have raw too. Works for us!!!
[font=Comic Sans Ms]

Judy in Michigan

#54 dimsum629

dimsum629

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, Hiking, cave spelunking, being outside, crafts and gemology!

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

http://ottawavalleyd...ipes-grain.html

Food this site on making your own dog food. would just like to hear everyone's thoughts on these recipes.  :lol:

Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing and your attitude when you have everything.

#55 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2220 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Thoughts - get a meat grinder, leave the meat raw (except pork), skin and fat on and bones in. Why take out all that calcium and marrow. not sure about all the spices. organ meats good. take care on the meat source (antibiotics, hormones, etc). don't know about the yams as a staple - interesting idea for a fixed girl dog.

As for carcinogens - been eating grilled meat with all the lovely dioxins for my whole live and I'm not dead yehhhhhpfft.

#56 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2342 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:07 AM

?? Why grind the meat/bone?? Unless your dog has no teeth. Mine chew bone just fine. I should post a video :) They LOVE chewing chicken and turkey thigh bones! The lips pull back and their eyes go half shut and they are in that primal head-space... And it is great for their teeth too! I feed my guys raw pork on occasion. Just watch out for 'enhanced' meats -aka soaked in a salt/chemical solution to 'improve flavor and tenderness.. Sigh. Keep the sodium below 80mg per serving (read pkging) and it will be fine. :)

#57 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2220 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:41 AM

We feed a home made dog food that is oats base with ground meat, salmon oil, yogert and a few other things. It's ground to get the mix right and to pace wear on the teeth. We supplement with lovely marrow filled soup bones or beef short ribs or lamb shanks (although both shepherds are at that cut off point due to age - the teeth need softer bones when they get older and Waki doesn't have the jaw strength - he takes the cracked shank from Shiva) or chicken parts. Sometimes we can get buffalo or sheep parts or organs from the local farmers. We do bones at least once a week for clean teeth but it's ground for every day.

I don't know if trichinellosis survives the dog's more acidic stomach or not so I don't chance it.

#58 dimsum629

dimsum629

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:11 AM

ohhh ok. I'm trying to come up with a nice balanced "mix" for everyday eating.  I'm unsure to go with the oats route or the potato non grain route for the base of this "kibble". I am thinking of using no grain as the base of this homemade kibble and making whole wheat rye or wheat germ "crispies" as a goody three times a week or something. I want to use this homemade stuff as an everyday thing paired with a raw something. And of course supplementing with weekly bones and or antlers to clean teeth and supply calcium.

Sherab do you cook, dehydrate, or leave raw your homemade kibble?

Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing and your attitude when you have everything.

#59 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2220 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

Dimsun629 we grind the meat weekly and put 2 tubs in the freezer and one in the frig. It's raw. We have the oats in the pantry and mix it up before the meal. The oats need a little soak time. It's a good rhythm and we rarely run out. I do keep some canned and a small bag of kibble for a pinch. If someone has an upset stomach (usually Shiva during the spring melt) we will cook the meat. Sometimes we cook a leg of lamb and use that as the meat mix. With organ meat it depends on what it is. If it's a mix that's pre-ground from the local farm then I cook it first (otherwise it has given Shiva the runs). Since many people won't eat organ meat, it's also a good value. http://www.tendergra...of-organ-meats/ Shiva has the most sensitive stomach of our three. If it's heart or liver I may cut it into strips and mix it in the bowl. If it's small (like the bag inside a roasting chicken) I just give it to them directly. I also like to make a gravy out of drippings from our food (lamb, chicken, goose) and put that in. Too much sudden fat can cause the vapors or worse so take care with that. I like to up the fat once a week in the winter when coats can dry out. We don't know anyone that hunts but that could be a great source of goodies. Game meat is very lean so I would factor that in if using bulk quantities. We once got sheep spine at the farmer's market. They loved it. We are careful with sources of beef - grass fed makes better fat soluble goodies than grain and we try to avoid anything that may have had hormones and antibiotics. We lived on a block with a school teacher who was campaigning against using downed cattle in dog food (this was during the mad cow outbreak 10 years back) so I avoid beef and go for lamb or other flavors for the canned and kibble I keep stocked. Salt is also a good add in the summer. Scott keeps a bunch of different salts on hand for cooking so I take a pinch of sea salt or Himalayan salt or what ever. Keeps Waki from drinking may sea salt bath. Sometimes we use a broth to soak the oats and sometimes just water. They like fish skin. If either of us fished, I'd give them the heads and tails, but we don't fish.

#60 dimsum629

dimsum629

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:24 AM

Sounds like a great meal plan. I'm loving the organ meat and grinding meat. I think my local butcher can do this for me as I don't have a meat grinder. Thank you for the info.  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users