Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Just For Fun - Tamarack's Favorite Song

I've been meaning to share this since.... last year(!)... and am only just now getting around to it.

So for a while Tamarack had this funny habit while riding in the car wherein he would suddenly jump up from an almost dead sleep and quickly assume position with his front feet on the center console and his head right next to mine. This is a pretty common position for him when there is something he is interested in outside of the car that he wants to get a better look at. However, for the longest time I could not figure out what the heck he was looking for because there was never anything around outside of the ordinary. After quite a while of this going on, my brain finally caught on that it was a very specific song on the radio that elicited this reaction.

No matter what the situation, the chorus of this song never fails to at least get his attention. I can't for the life of me figure out what it is about that specific sound, but it's clearly meaningful to him in some way. I've tried to come up with some theories...maybe it's a similar enough noise to dogs barking that that's what it sounds like to him? I think I remember reading that Kim often has Native music playing for the dogs at SDK, so I've even wondered if this specific chorus is somehow reminiscent to something he'd heard as a puppy and has a positive association with.

Last year I made a video of his reaction to illustrate that I can essentially draw him from anywhere in the house by simply playing the song on my computer:

And ended up making another one because while I was working on editing the video he would get bored and wander off, only to come trotting back in every time I started playing the video again to test the quality of it before uploading. Too funny.

So here's what I've always wanted to know: Does anyone else's AId respond to this song? It's 'Pompeii' by Bastille, easily found via a Youtube search. Try it and let's find out!

I will have to try it. What a stunningly beautiful dog, T is.

Sitka has been having to sit through my Mandolin practice. He is not always happy. I get some very long and loud sighs. But there are some songs he does love and likes to dance to.

I can't stop laughing at this....the look on his face is priceless...sort of a, "...wait...aren't we supposed to be in the car?" crossed with "...I love this song, it reminds me of ______".

If only he could tell you what _______ is!

Hah!

It's funny because T is so used to various noises that he generally just ignores sounds from all the assorted devices that us two-leggeds have. There are a couple that will get him to pay attention, but none have ever gotten him quite so hooked with curiosity as this very particular song. Even recorded dog barks or howls are boring to him.

The one sound that will REALLY get him excited is the sound of his best friend's bell that she wears when they go for walks together. The first time I played a video I had of the two of them he ended up ON my desk trying to figure out where on earth she was..

2013-07-27_14-03-45_770small.jpg

• Like 1