Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Summer Pups...2014

Sri, no word as to which mama birthed our pup, but I guess we will come to know that when we get there! I spoke with my husband and it sounds like we might be able to help out those that fall in between Oregon and Pennsylvania. We could bring your puppy to you on our way back! We do plan on stopping and hiking a few places with our pup within Washington, Montana and South Dakota, so we could probably only accompany 1 or 2 additional puppies. If this sounds like something any one would be interested in, please let me know!

How nice of you to offer to help others get their puppies! I wish Dallas was between Oregon and PA. I'm not seeing ANY direct flights between here and there. That concerns me but I'm sure Kim has done this enough to have all the answers and then some! Temperatures were well over 100 this week. Maybe our baby will be in one of the later litters and things will have cooled down a bit by the time they're ready to leave their mama

• Like 1
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quote Kim Laflamme:

Quote Kim Laflamme:

,,,,,,,,,and the excitement reaches a whole new level

Posted Images

Congratulations! Looking forward to puppy pix!

Brbrooru, Suggest you do the serious hiking on the way out and plan to pack your pup for any hikes you do on the way back. Have a contingency plan in case your pup is having none of it.

A gallon water jug (8 lbs) is a good approximation for planning purposes (although the jug won't squirm). Also very much depending on your pup you might find he/she has a violent objection to being carried. Waki was like a teddy bear - could carry him around all day. He has a lot of Tahltan in him so no surprise there. If your pup is like Waki you could hike all day with him in a pack and have no problems. Others have not shared in that experience at all. Cake's limit was about 5 minutes. I believe Mr. Chips did not like to be held and there was audio to go along with the squirming.

Thank you so much for your advice, Sherab! We will definitely be flexible and receptive to the dog's every need. It's so fascinating to hear how all your puppies differed!

• Like 1

Oh, this is exciting...

You aren't kidding! We are so excited. We can't drive to SDK but if the temperatures stay this high I may have to consider flying there and bringing our puppy home with me...if we get the call. I've checked into some airline rules and from what I'm reading I believe I can bring a small puppy on board with me (crate rules & fee applies). Has anyone ever done this?

Hi doc :)

Did you get "the call"?

How nice of you to offer to help others get their puppies! I wish Dallas was between Oregon and PA. I'm not seeing ANY direct flights between here and there. That concerns me but I'm sure Kim has done this enough to have all the answers and then some! Temperatures were well over 100 this week. Maybe our baby will be in one of the later litters and things will have cooled down a bit by the time they're ready to leave their mama

Yes indeed how great that you are helping others get their pups in a way better suited to the pup's well being. Thanks

• Like 1
Hi, Denise. I look forward to pics of the gathering. And to both of us getting our dogs...I will not be going to the Gathering this year for two reasons. One is my internship starts in a few days and I have to abide by their schedule and limits to time off. The other is I don't know how to become part of these kinds of gatherings, or even if I am allowed since I don't know that I have any Native American blood. ...

The Gathering is basically a family reunion for the AIDogs. It really has nothing to do with human ancestry.. lol

It is a bbq/potluck at a campground near Kim's place. That is all. The only requirement is having or wanting to have one of the dogs.

• Like 1

so now i need to go and buy a crate what size should i get ?

I just got the call from Kim. Now I have to make arraignments to care for my mother then I can go get my puppy asap

ooowhooooooooooooooooh

• Like 1

so now i need to go and buy a crate what size should i get ?

We bought a large crate because we plan to use it right away to potty train and for night time, and will also use it for quite awhile if we need to leave the puppy home alone for short periods of time...prevents some of the unpleasant chewing surprises. We want him/her to have as much room to move around as possible. That's the plan anyway. It's worked for us in the past, but every puppy has a different personality. Also, we covered our crate with blankets and our last puppy would chose to go in there on her own when she wanted to nap...a dark quiet place that belonged to her.

Hi doc :)

Did you get "the call"?

No call yet. I posted a reply to this earlier today but it seems to have done a vanishing act. We've been on the waiting list since January and I have no idea what the current length of the list is. I totally understand that the puppies aren't given out in the order you are on the list but I'm curious as to how long the list is. I considered emailing Kim but I know he has better things to do than hold the hand of anxious expectant puppy parents. What to do???? I guess I'll just keep buying puppy toys.

• Like 1

i got on the list in October and am picking my puppy up on Sunday

No call yet. I posted a reply to this earlier today but it seems to have done a vanishing act. We've been on the waiting list since January and I have no idea what the current length of the list is. I totally understand that the puppies aren't given out in the order you are on the list but I'm curious as to how long the list is. I considered emailing Kim but I know he has better things to do than hold the hand of anxious expectant puppy parents. What to do???? I guess I'll just keep buying puppy toys.

• Like 1
i got on the list in October and am picking my puppy up on Sunday

:P and you are driving to pick up pup, that helps :) - we are all so jealous!!!!! Well, more like happy in a longing sort of way ....

Please oh please take lots of pics and tell us funny stories (and have time to actually post them!) :D

• Like 1

Things will fall in place for us at some point .... I'd say the stars and moon would be aligning .... but we just had a super moon last night and there will be a meteor shower this week! LOL! :D

I've been eying some toys. I can't have latex near me or in the house (molecule allergy) but have found some similar toys to Kong toys online and will buy from time to time. I'm allergic to peanuts like that (airborne) but the vet said that almond butter is OK as long as it's in moderation.

I've read that a tablespoon of peanut butter is a good tool to give when starting to train the puppy on bath and also nail clipping. Keeps their minds occupied with the ... butter stuck in their mouth!

• Like 1

It does help to know that you've been on the list since October Rik. It gives me some reference point anyway! Denise E. I am also allergic to peanut butter and have a latex allergy. It sounds as though I'm not quite as sensitive as you though. It would be tough to have to avoid it at an airborne level! I think my latex allergy developed from too many years wearing the latex gloves & latex stethoscope in the medical field. I have no idea where the peanut allergy came from as it just reared it's ugly head one day...along with a long list of other foods that were suddenly off limits. Getting old sucks! I'll have to remember that distraction trick with almond butter. Also planning on a grain free puppy diet. expensive but worth it. We're crazy, we have purchased a whole box of toys already. I'm into the ones that challenge them in some way and I'd love to hear more about other AIDs favorite puzzle toys. We may be overly optimistic, but we also have our homemade puppy gates up and pillows made lol :rolleyes:20140721_185008.jpg20140721_185033.jpg

Great Job Doc! Love the pics! I've had a small crate, (mom has a medium size crate I can borrow when needed), indoor playpen, outdoor playpen, a couple gates ... went to store for cat food and came home with some puppy toys .... have some intellect games already ... tried with my sister's dog, Roger, but he doesn't quite get in - figure the AI puppy will teach him - LOL!!!!!!!!

It is hard for me to fly on planes, peanut allergy & latex allergy progressed to airborne. Have other allergies - progressive autoimmune issue. AND YES! I am still gung ho to be matched with AI dog. It is a necessity in a way, a calling, a need, an evolution on my path.

OK, I'm getting weird ... er

My sister is disabled and home all day. She has limitations but can handle taking care of puppy during the day while I'm at work. We will have a schedule. Have a tentative plan now but will adapt it whenever the stork brings the puppy.

We coordinate with her dog's training/rehab (NOT an AI Dog). We are working well together so it should continue with the 'addition'.

I travel to Lampasas, TX every June. Maybe can meet your AI Dog next year ----- positive thinking!!!! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hang in there Doc...this is the hardest time, when you know you are somewhere at the top of the list waiting for THE CALL. :) Now is the time we really practice patience. You are so correct to say that Kim is too busy to hold eager hands. What with his 90 + year old parents and helping them out, grapes, pups, tractor work, horses, etc, etc, etc, I personally don't know how he fits it all in one day. He must have a magic way of adding hours to a day.

Rik, Congratulations on the puppy pick up. I would love to hear about your trip to SDK when you return. Ooooooh you are a happy man now. :D Have a wonderful time with the new pup. Have you chosen a name yet?

• Like 2

I posted something earlier about calling her Mrs Peabody Von Sherman. But my friend doesn't think that is a good dog name. My Sister requested a Cherokee name and i will probably go in that direction. Awinita for fawn or the Cherokee name for Robin if i can find it again.

Great Job Doc! Love the pics! I've had a small crate, (mom has a medium size crate I can borrow when needed), indoor playpen, outdoor playpen, a couple gates ... went to store for cat food and came home with some puppy toys .... have some intellect games already ... tried with my sister's dog, Roger, but he doesn't quite get in - figure the AI puppy will teach him - LOL!!!!!!!!

It is hard for me to fly on planes, peanut allergy & latex allergy progressed to airborne. Have other allergies - progressive autoimmune issue. AND YES! I am still gung ho to be matched with AI dog. It is a necessity in a way, a calling, a need, an evolution on my path.

OK, I'm getting weird ... er

My sister is disabled and home all day. She has limitations but can handle taking care of puppy during the day while I'm at work. We will have a schedule. Have a tentative plan now but will adapt it whenever the stork brings the puppy.

We coordinate with her dog's training/rehab (NOT an AI Dog). We are working well together so it should continue with the 'addition'.

I travel to Lampasas, TX every June. Maybe can meet your AI Dog next year ----- positive thinking!!!! :rolleyes:

Sounds like you have a good plan. I don't know where Lampasas, TX is but I'm just North of Dallas. There's another member who lives close by and just adopted Bandit, the AID who needed a new home.

Sounds like you have a good plan. I don't know where Lampasas, TX is but I'm just North of Dallas. There's another member who lives close by and just adopted Bandit, the AID who needed a new home.

Oh mommom adopted Bandit!!! (If my mind is working today). Lampasas is NW of Austin about an hour (183).

• Like 1

Perfect post for me right now Miz Molly, thank you.

:) sure any time....

I'm sure as the weather gets cooler you are on the top of the list!!!! (IMHO only - I don't really know, I'm way off in Florida .... B) )

But it would seem so. I bet the Texas heat is just holding things up on you. :unsure:

How is Bandit doing? Did I miss an update?

I wonder --- he may be asking when his little brother or sister is coming, too!

The Gathering is basically a family reunion for the AIDogs. It really has nothing to do with human ancestry.. lol

It is a bbq/potluck at a campground near Kim's place. That is all. The only requirement is having or wanting to have one of the dogs.

Well, that is awesome!! Very great to have a gathering based on something other than human stuff. Wow. Maybe next time.

• Like 1