Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

I always hate this part. It is bad mojo to fall in love with a house, since people can be so irrational about house deals. Once you get emotional, your judgment gets foggy. I was always trying to calm my husband down.

Then things go...well?...you move in, and your new thing becomes this: "Oh, previous owners! What were you thinking?" Backwards plumbing, bizarre wiring, three drop ceilings - the older the house, the crazier it gets.

I wish you the best of luck, truly, in becoming the proud owner of a house with scores of harmless oddities. (I grew up in a house that was built in 1868.)

I can speak from experience. My husband and I bought a home built in 1862 and you can't believe the surprises we've found. It does cost a lot of money to make your 'dream home' a 2010 model! Before you sign on the dotted line, make sure you have a home inspection. They won't be able to find what's between the walls (or what isn't there!) but it will help. And, oh yea, everything happens AFTER you've moved in! Good luck but also beware!!

Judy K in Michigan

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mmmmm, orange shag carpet....and bean bag chairs!

Before you sign on the dotted line, make sure you have a home inspection. They won't be able to find what's between the walls (or what isn't there!) but it will help. And, oh yea, everything happens AFTER you've moved in! Good luck but also beware!!

Judy K in Michigan

Oh Judy K. we are well aware, and good advice.

This is not our first house... :D LOLOL oh the stories we could tell...

We have already paid to have the inspection done, and we are awaiting the (somewhat arbitrary and fickle) opinion of the VA appraiser, and the decision of the seller on whether they will address the roof. {can you say asphalt shingles lain over original shake without underlayment or flashing around fixtures?}

And Karen- Yes we have experienced the "What were they thinking?" effect as well.

Our last house, wow, strange stuff. We never did figure out why there was an unconnected original cloth wrapped electrical conduit at the floor level up under the toe-kick in the Bathroom!! :) Made no sense... it was merely wrapped in a bit of e-tape- and yes, it was live...

We are more emotionally attached to the deal than the house; because our lease is up at the end of this month and if the deal falls through, then we are no longer eligible for the tax rebate. (there goes $6500) :) And we HATE renting the apartment- and hate the idea of paying 1 1/2 times what we do now- merely for the privilege of renting month to month. We really want a proper yard for our girl Mina, and storage for our stuff, and legitimate opportunity to adopt an AI puppy... ;)

hahahaha we had orange shag in our house too as well as pink through the rest of it yuck

Mmmmm, orange shag carpet....and bean bag chairs!

How about turquoise and black speckled carpet, ww 2 black out curtains, painters drop cloth pattern on the linoleum, mustard walls on one side, salmon on the other and the ceiling was that blow on white stuff with silver flecks........I sure never wanted to meet up with their decorator. puke! LETS GET BACK TO THE DOGS :Bwahahaha:

um.. this is where I don't say that we are buying the lovely vintage house (to get an AI pup!) with one PINK bedroom - carpet walls etc, and one GREEN bedroom -carpet walls blowglitter ceiling etc, and a TURQUOISE kitchen (to get an AI pup!!) with other age issues (to have a fantastic yard for an AI pup!) because we know cosmetics are secondary (to getting an AI pup!!!!) to home buying.

(because we want an AI pup! can you tell??)

And our current dog deserves to have a yard again, and would love one!

lolol

We have these old TimeLife books on how to remodel your kitchen, from the late 60's. Oh my god, there is my mother's wallpaper--turquoise flower patterns, with (who can forget) the avocado appliances. So funny,.... now.

Gee Linda, if I had Orange shag, I would not find half the bits that Sitka leaves.

Hey! Wait a minute! I think you have something there. I've been working too hard!

He recently got hold of an old parrot toy with plastic mini-balls as filler. I threw it away, but he has recovered it, and now our house is like a roller rink, with small, plastic, ball-bearings everywhere.

For those following the house-saga (prerequisite to puppy...)

I was sent to pick out roofing material yesterday, and the appraisal came in with merely the roof, and the price being the only 'sticking points.'

And the price was only off by a couple K. So hopefully the seller is feeling benevolent and kind. :)

Thanks to all who are generously allowing me to vent my house-buying stresses! You are AWESOME!!

For those following the house-saga (prerequisite to puppy...)

I was sent to pick out roofing material yesterday, and the appraisal came in with merely the roof, and the price being the only 'sticking points.'

And the price was only off by a couple K. So hopefully the seller is feeling benevolent and kind. :)

Thanks to all who are generously allowing me to vent my house-buying stresses! You are AWESOME!!

If I can add my two cents. Stick to your guns with the seller. I have seen people buckle under the pressure of wanting a house. This is no time for a seller to walk away from a sale. Plus, I have to say that an AI puppy in the yard will make it all worth while.

Speaking of orange shag, my house had orange, white, and brown berber carpet with urine stains all over it. My house had been a rest home before I bought it.

oh. our last place was a rental with 2 dogs and 3 small children.. Shag went to the curb. and beautiful red-oak flooring exposed to the light of day!!

This place, likewise, has original hardwood flooring. Which we plan on utilizing in the living area. Only bedrooms will be carpeted, for sound reduction- as Hubby is VERY Light Sleeper.

Also Oh, and continuation of House-Saga

Apparently Concrete isn't permanent enough 'flooring' for appraisers to consider a room with electricity and plumbing and a door between it and the garage and windows- to be part of the living space. I thought those were the living-space qualifiers.. sheesh. :) It is a connected room between (and you can see the 'outside wall' original slats from the garage side!) there is a door from the kitchen, and a door into the garage. Apparently if we stick down peel-back lino squares it becomes a permanent enough floor to be counted in sq.ft so the price will align with our offer.. FINE- WHATEVER! Geez.. buying a house is like gestating a baby. L0L

And I'm doing a drive-by today to see if the roofers have started.. WHEE!!

Anybody close to Eugene Oregon will be, by default, invited to the house warming.. *grin*

Congratulations on the house. This house we are in is our 4th, and the first one in which we had to do floors - ugh. It was extensive.

If you have any problems with allergies, ask your doctor about carpeting.

Yep- roofers started

Now if we can get resolution on the laundry room floor, we'll be golden.

It would be nice to know if we are moving some time soon. Much to do in prep, and potentially only a week's warning- if that!

But it will be worth it *evil plotting grin towards future puppy*

Yep- roofers started

Now if we can get resolution on the laundry room floor, we'll be golden.

It would be nice to know if we are moving some time soon. Much to do in prep, and potentially only a week's warning- if that!

But it will be worth it *evil plotting grin towards future puppy*

On the house issue -- our middle parlor had 12 layers of wallpaper -- the dining room had 13 with material glued between a couple of layers as well as paint between a couple of other! It's a two story victorian -- built by a lumber baron -- there was not one ounce of insulation in it! The previously owner actually painted the windows in the room off the dining room shut so the snow wouldn't come in!!!! We ended up replacing everyone and they are a type of window called 'oriole' so they all had to be custom made! I have one more house in my bones -- even at 65 -- but I beginning to feel tired! We were extremely lucky that no one ever painted all of the woodwork. It amazes me what they did with old houses!!!! Obviously there was never any inspections warranted!!!!!

Judy K in Michidgan

Our house is also 100 years old. We found very fun, old papers in the walls, and one old straw christmas ornament, that we love.

When we put it back together, we put a time capsule in the wall, with pictures of the old wall papers, we found, pictures, and papers, and photos of the changes through the years, plus our changes.

Who knows who might find it down the line, or if anyone will? Perhaps they will bull doze it, and all our work will be for nothing. Still, it is fun to imagine someone finding it years from now.

Best of luck to you.

Our house is also 100 years old. We found very fun, old papers in the walls, and one old straw christmas ornament, that we love.

When we put it back together, we put a time capsule in the wall, with pictures of the old wall papers, we found, pictures, and papers, and photos of the changes through the years, plus our changes.

Who knows who might find it down the line, or if anyone will? Perhaps they will bull doze it, and all our work will be for nothing. Still, it is fun to imagine someone finding it years from now.

Best of luck to you.

Hey Allison! Larry and I did the same thing -- hopefully someday someone will love the house as much as we all do. It's taken a lot of hard work, time and lots of cash but it's almost done! One more room and we'll call it a day and maybe find another one and start over. It really is fun finding all the old 'treasures.'

JudyK in Michidgan

We have several rooms left to do, and the basement. This summer, we will put in a new front door. It's been in our living room for at least a year, and maybe two. I am working on the glass design.

That's been our excuse for not buying furniture.

This last winter/Spring we put in a really cool water catch system, and we are now enjoying our first garden. Boy, the pup and I have had a few go-rounds over the plants, inside and out.

Any gardeners out there? I am a total beginner, and seem to be making all the common mistakes. As long as I don't make them again next year, I guess it's alright.

We are having great success and joy from our salad greens.

We have several rooms left to do, and the basement. This summer, we will put in a new front door. It's been in our living room for at least a year, and maybe two. I am working on the glass design.

That's been our excuse for not buying furniture.

This last winter/Spring we put in a really cool water catch system, and we are now enjoying our first garden. Boy, the pup and I have had a few go-rounds over the plants, inside and out.

Any gardeners out there? I am a total beginner, and seem to be making all the common mistakes. As long as I don't make them again next year, I guess it's alright.

We are having great success and joy from our salad greens.

[/quo

That's super! We, too, have a hugh garden. We grow just about everything. Have you tried potatoes? They are so easy and soooo good fresh and roasted!! This year we're (I should say Larry is trying) the white sweet potatoes along with the red skins, fingerlings, Michigan whites, lettuce, eggplant, green beans, wax beans, chard, tomatoes (all kinds), tomatillas, parsley, basil, cilantro, oregano, mint (in a pot!!), garlic, leek, cabbage, peppers -- may end up with a road side stand! Yea, right. I do freeze and can alot! It is so fun and tastes so much better. Good luck!! We put up a small greenhouse this year and enclosed the veggie garden to keep the 'kids' out! Next thing ya know, here's Tsaga diving under the fence!! She's quite proud of herself -- needless to say she's had a few 'one on one with her father' -- all to no avail!!!

As for a Garden. something like this ⬇ ??

This was the garden in our last house, Managed to yield tons of stuff in a bit under 20x20 space Peas Beans, Corn, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Broccoli, Peppers, Radishes, Carrots, Onions, Garlic, Strawberries, Jer.Artichokes, Chard, Collards, Mustard Greens, Blueberries, Melons, and a bunch of herbs That do ya? L0L

About the house, it's official, I have NO HAIR left on the sides of my head, and Fingernails are chewed to the shoulder.

You know you are in trouble when your Realtor invites you to lunch...

The Appraiser is going on vacation for 2 weeks. No recourse and no accountability for the $ and time it costs us or the seller. And this appraiser is the only one that can sign off on needed floor.

So we are pretty much SOL for about another month.

Feces! {I can say that right?} ;)

So now I have to totally mentally switch gears and get ready to go to a long weekend camp out with all our good 'spensive stuff- in the rain, far away, by trailer (can you tell my heart is really not in it?) I have 3 sets of clothing to sew, (instead of packing to move) All our Garb to wash and prep, all our gear to clean and mend and ready. And I would really rather be moving.

Yes I am a bad person- I'm having a beer.

Have a good weekend y'all

Housewarming party postponed for a few weeks, at least.

Thanks again for letting me vent my frustration.

As for a Garden. something like this ⬇ ??

This was the garden in our last house, Managed to yield tons of stuff in a bit under 20x20 space Peas Beans, Corn, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Broccoli, Peppers, Radishes, Carrots, Onions, Garlic, Strawberries, Jer.Artichokes, Chard, Collards, Mustard Greens, Blueberries, Melons, and a bunch of herbs That do ya? L0L

About the house, it's official, I have NO HAIR left on the sides of my head, and Fingernails are chewed to the shoulder.

You know you are in trouble when your Realtor invites you to lunch...

The Appraiser is going on vacation for 2 weeks. No recourse and no accountability for the $ and time it costs us or the seller. And this appraiser is the only one that can sign off on needed floor.

So we are pretty much SOL for about another month.

Feces! {I can say that right?} ;)

So now I have to totally mentally switch gears and get ready to go to a long weekend camp out with all our good 'spensive stuff- in the rain, far away, by trailer (can you tell my heart is really not in it?) I have 3 sets of clothing to sew, (instead of packing to move) All our Garb to wash and prep, all our gear to clean and mend and ready. And I would really rather be moving.

Yes I am a bad person- I'm having a beer.

Have a good weekend y'all

Housewarming party postponed for a few weeks, at least.

Thanks again for letting me vent my frustration.

Hey, can I have a beer for you too??? Actually I am debating having a frosty pina colada or a cold beer. I have been on the run all day with errands, painting, yard work, washing car and vaccuming. OK, it's settled I am having both.

Have a good one!! Lisa

Hey, can I have a beer for you too??? Actually I am debating having a frosty pina colada or a cold beer. I have been on the run all day with errands, painting, yard work, washing car and vaccuming. OK, it's settled I am having both.

Have a good one!! Lisa

Thanks Lisa- we are about 3/4 mile past Wit's End.

This little journey is teaching us patience and perseverance. That's what I keep telling myself. ;)

I'm not sure what's worse: all the waiting, all the not knowing final outcome, delays ruining any possibility of a garden this year, delays delaying AI pup, total lack of fingernails and hair on sides of head, sleepless nights, strain on hubby watching me stress.. L0L

:wacko:

Glad to know there are several expert gardeners, here, as I am certain to need input.

We are trying potatoes. I read on the Internet about them, and it seemed difficult, but now everyone is telling me that they will take over. I'm simply glad to have something growing.

I really want to try those fingerling potatoes. Do you order them from a catalog?

I have never canned, but if we get enough sun to produce a bounty, perhaps I will have to try that, too.

Get a picture of your greenhouse, Judy. We would love to see it. We have talked about one, and looked at many designs. We don't have much space in our yard, so I am not sure that I want to give any garden room to another building, but now that we've got the gardening bug, who knows?

Starghoti, I would think in the current climate that they would want to close as soon as possible. Hate to think that they are stretching it out to avoid your rebate, but I would not be surprised.

Glad to know there are several expert gardeners, here, as I am certain to need input.

We are trying potatoes. I read on the Internet about them, and it seemed difficult, but now everyone is telling me that they will take over. I'm simply glad to have something growing.

I really want to try those fingerling potatoes. Do you order them from a catalog?

I have never canned, but if we get enough sun to produce a bounty, perhaps I will have to try that, too.

Get a picture of your greenhouse, Judy. We would love to see it. We have talked about one, and looked at many designs. We don't have much space in our yard, so I am not sure that I want to give any garden room to another building, but now that we've got the gardening bug, who knows?

Starghoti, I would think in the current climate that they would want to close as soon as possible. Hate to think that they are stretching it out to avoid your rebate, but I would not be surprised.

Hey! The greenhouse is not big at all! Larry bought the heavy plastic shelving units, three shelves each and wala we were good to go! We had a cement slab poured and I'm guessing it's about 6x6, don't know for sure and he's in PA looking at old farm houses with his buddy! I'll take a picture tomorrow and send it. It's amazing how HOT it gets in there and since it's so DAMN cold here -- right now it's only 40 -- we have hugh buckets of water absorbing the heat and releasing it during the night to keep it at about 40ish! This weather STINKS! My flowers are all in pots sitting in the garage!! Now isn't that stunning!!! This year I planted my herbs (basil, cilantro, parsley and mint) in pots so it's easier and we'll see how that works. Last year I also planted shallots and leeks -- shallots did good but the leeks not so much!! Potatoes are extremely easy to grow. Dig a trench, put them in and cover them and when they pop put more soil on top and when they pop again let them go to about 4 inches, cover them all up and let them grow and dig them out in the fall. Pull out the plants when they're done and you have potatoes. You will be amazed how many you will get from one plant!!! Fingerlings came from the Jung's catalogue!

Edited by judyk

For a laugh, if you look at the Garden photo- you will see a length of PVC pipe on the ground. That was our garden fence. We told Mina that was the line, and gently/firmly enforced it. She respected it. Up to and including stray cats walking on the concrete wall on the far side of the garden fence.. L0L Might as well have been the edge of a cliff. ;)

Smart Girl.

Oh, and no real news on the house yet; except for the news that the seller is considering the lower price and not doing the laundry room floor. We shall see if the system will allow a different appraiser to sign off on the new roof. Our financing guy is planning on petitioning the Lender to allow it due to circumstances beyond our control. Considering this psychoticAppraiser lady just up- and left the country for 2 weeks on Vacation without anyone to substitute for her while she is gone. He believes it could work... maybe. We shall hope and see what happens.

I really want to move. I really want to focus on building my business. I really want to start my garden. And did I mention that we are allowed, in that city, to have a limited number of 'farm animals' (meaning chickens, rabbits, ducks etc) ? Can you say "Meat Garden?" :Bwahahaha:

Fingers crossed for you, Starghoti. Coyo is like Mina, and will respect the flimsiest of barriers, but Sitka will jump, dig, and just plain barrel through anything he can.

Thanks for the potato tips, Judy. Through no intention of our own, we've followed your trench plan. I appreciate the harvesting info.

6X6, eh? Are you starting all your veggies in there?