Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Darmok 11 Months Old

Darmok is 11 months old today. He's continues to be a joy as well as a pain in the ass to live with (depending on the day).

I took him to the vet last week and he is holding at a very muscular 47.5 pounds. At around 9 months, one of his testicles finally dropped into place and the vet believes she has located the second one which is on it's way to where it should be. She says its nearly unheard of to have a testicle drop after 6 months, but here we are proving the medical community doesn't always know everything. He is scheduled to be neutered in January and we are hoping the other testicle has dropped into place by then but if not, she doesn't anticipate any issues with removing the one that's on its way.

Darmok's overbite doesn't seem to be causing him many problems. The roof of his month shows no damage and other than the obviousness of it, he has one canine tooth that is growing a bit side ways. The vet doesn't anticipate any issues as he continues to mature.

Darmok's training continues to goes well. I don't often put his service dog in training vest on as I'm just annoyed by the questions. His herding instincts are very strong and he stays right next to me when we are out of walks. I teach him a new skill about once a month or so and am currently working on having him pick things up and put them in my hand. He starts his good citizenship training in January.

I'm so use to seeing him that I forget sometimes how wicked cool he is just to look upon. We get stopped often by folks wanting to know what kind of "shepherd" he is lol.

The older he gets the stronger and faster he gets. I took him to a dog park the other day with a friend, who commented that Darmok is just a bullet when he runs. He really is one of the fastest dogs out there now.

He sits in the front seat (with a seatbelt) whenever we are in my car. He just sits or stands there observing everything. Occasionally, he just leans over and stares at me like he's trying to communicate telepathically something important. Probably something to do with willing me to take the exit to the dog park.

He squirmed out of his halter on a walk the other day and I called him and he came back to me...really, that was just too exciting as recall has been a huge training issue.

All and all we continue to be Darmok and Elizabeth on the Ocean.

Darmok 11 months old.jpg

• Like 5

So glad to hear from you and Darmok! Been wondering how he's been doing, and it's so good to read of positive progress. It's so amazing to me as other owners post, to realize that all of these dogs share so many endearing traits. Thanks for updating us! And what a handsome boy! Love the photo!

Edited by LakeGirl
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Occasionally, he just leans over and stares at me like he's trying to communicate telepathically something important.

That cracked me up so much. My first AIDog did this a lot. He even commented on my driving. :lol:

• Like 2

These dogs really are fast, the only other dog that can outrun mine at our dog park are a pair of saluki's! :)