Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Great videos. Love that last shot of Lili - Calendar material?

She does look pretty sexy, with that "come hither" look.

• Like 2
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yeah- Takes a couple days, but the Sr dog usually will take to and protect the baby-dog.   *proof*

So hey! It's me...Kekona!     Just a note to catch up with everybody. How cool it is that all my cousins and sisters & brothers and stuff are going all over the country? Dad told me all ab

Breakthrough!   Over the last few days Kona has been going down at about 930 or so. She starts fading about about 8 and we spend the next 45 minutes trying to keep her awake. Then it's out for a p

Posted Images

That's the look she gets when hovering between asleep & awake....I was trying to get the half open eye slits....Joe Cool....

a Glamour shot!!!!!

Some updates on Kekona's progress...

She is totally full of pee and constantly tops off the tank. Yet, she's only had a handful of minor and one major accident in the house. The major boo-boo fortunately landed almost entirely on her 'blanket' and we were able to whisk that off to the laundry room post haste. Eternally thirsty but not overwhelming so we're starting to see patterns emerge in her nutrition and hydration. She'll fire up the engines and engage with Lili for fifteen minutes and then break off to grab a drink. Sometimes, when it's especially high energy, she'll break off quite a bit for a quick slurp or two and then back into the fray. This leads to that occasional..."Ooo..I gotta pee" moment but she's starting to get the idea that that process is done outside with the other dog. She eats as if she's never going to eat again...then she eats again. She's only had a single poo problem in the house and that was on Sunday night! She's as regular as the sunset. If history is any indication though it won't be the last one I'm sure. She's actually gone to the door several times and sat down until we opened up at which point she went out and pee'd. We're getting there.

We've nicknamed her ten second Tom, after the character in the Adam Sandler/Drew Barrymore romcom (as Julie calls 'em) Fifty First Dates. It's from one thing to the next with about 15-30 seconds of attention to any one individual activity. Hilarious actually.

She and Liliko'i have bonded pretty well and that continues to develop at a good pace. The pup continues to push the envelope and Lili continues to 'guide' in that quintessential Liliko'i way...she's aggravated in the most wonderful of ways by the look on her face. Even when exasperated by Kona's behavior she has a 5 mile wide grin!

She chews on everything, as expected, constantly and with reckless abandon. Nothing is safe including the tip of the nose and the end of the heel. Luckily, she's still ten second Tom.

She's given her soul to me and I in return have reciprocated. At first she was very nervous and timid with us, not sure if she was to be shipped off somewhere again or what was to happen. Then very slowly she started to relax and realized, I like to think, that we called for her and want her here so she's beginning to find her rhythm within the pack. Surely testing boundaries but a pack member for sure.

For our part the three of us are so taken with her and my daughter will lose her mind over this little one when she returns for the Thanksgiving holiday & then again in December. We've kept her up to date on the puppy progress and activity report and she's brimming with excitement.

That's it for now....I need a nap.

• Like 6

Lil' must be glad she has a little sister!

Kekona sure is a spitfire!!!!! :lol:

Sounds like everyone is having fun!!!!!!! :)

Getting close to two weeks 'in country' so to speak and we have some observations and things to report.

Image1.jpg

She met Dr. Angeli today. I think it was a mutual love fest all around as both the doctor and the dog were very affectionate. She's strong and healthy and has good lung & heart function from the sound of things. And the puppy is pretty good too! Arggh Arghh

Kona's tight of limb and no trace of the problem that Lili suffers from. We jumped the shark somewhat with respect to getting into the vet so we're going back next week for the formal inoculation process. It's staged in small batteries so as not to overwhelm the pup which is a good thing. In light of Kim's schedule we were just a tad early in that time frame so we're going back again All in all a good day and good first impression. Her socialization is going swimmingly and they were all amazed at how well balanced she is. I told them that she helped train Nic Wallenda.

Image2.jpg

The contest of wills continues and Liliko'i is adapting well to her new charge. She's had an adjustment period getting used to the never-ending-puppy-time and it seems now that she has matters well in hand. Kona however feels she's not fit to lead and therefore takes the lead in every circumstance everyday. The challenges are soft as in the stare down. Sometimes they're hard as in 'that's my dragon' and other times they spontaneously combust of their own will it seems.

We have a round coffee table in the living room and it's become the turnstyle for the evening romp. A few days ago the chase was on and Lili had things in control, as always, then suddenly the pup broke off and sprinted under the coffee table toward the dining room. She had failed to account for the height of the steel support structure of the table and whacked her head coming out the other side yelping loudly all the way to the water bowl. We couldn't stop laughing although we worried for a second that she was actually hurt. She proved none the less for wear when she sprinted out of the kitchen onto Lili's back as if she were a Lion in the Serengeti.

One of my concerns has materialized however. Lili's leg is starting to go out more frequently and that concerns me. I've upped her Chinese herbs and as long as she's well stabilized she seems to hold her own. The puppy is so completely destabilizing though. She bites her knee...she deliberately gets in her way while walking. She'll show up with an antler in her mouth and want to walk on Lili's rump. She'll jump on Lili's head. Often. Obviously she has no idea what's going on with Lili but it's getting to be more of an issue. Lili is usually able to reset it by either lying down and stretching it our or just stretching it back in a standing position but the latter isn't always a viable solution apparently. Plus she's trying to accomplish this with a puppy sitting on her head. She can still run...and very fast but turning is the issue and as the puppy grows there's going to be some turning I'm assuming.

I'm not going to borrow trouble though. To this point Lili has been very eager to engage, even during situations where her knee has popped. It's up to me to make sure the level of what my mother calls "Deendoo" doesn't escalate out of control to the point where there's risk to Lili's knee. I've noticed they are starting to self regulate a little bit though over the last 2-3 days which is a good thing.

Kona is a very affectionate dog. Right now that's best description I can give. If you pick her up she'll nuzzle into your neck & shoulder. If you lie down on the floor she'll spring over to you and bury herself against you grunting all the way. She ponders. She'll sit and look straight forward for about a minute or two and then turn to you, cock her head and then turn back to look forward. After some predetermined time (it seems) she'll jog over to you and nuzzle up...if it's your foot, an arm, your face...whatever is handy.

Lili cannot figure this behavior out.

• Like 1

Hope Lili's knee is no worse for wear while this phase passes. :rolleyes:

Is it common for AI puppies to be that alpha with their new adult siblings (AI or not?)

(Quinnipiac Avenue census polling .... )

• Like 1

I don't know but I can say that both ours as pups were terrors. They don't really understand that they can hurt the other dog. Waki was attached to Shiva and was very rough on him. Literally for 6 months he was an appendage, hanging off Shiva's neck, flank, tail, etc. Cake's main goal during play is to hunt and tackle Waki. As Shiva got older I had to step in and correct verbally and physically. Now that Shiva is very old and wobbly both AIDs seem to understand but even so I still have to intervene every now and then. They don't try to swing off his tail or neck any more like when he was stronger and they were little but he's just so frail and they are so rambunctous and Shiva still wants to participate so this makes the balance is tricky. Since Shiva's hind end is his weak point I often stand next to him and I tell the little ones to be gentle when they get too close. I think they get the point. Cake will beat on Waki until her dominant right leg gets sore and she does a little hobble. I have managed that by limiting the hair on fire play in the fenced area. If they play in the house they are not so hard on eachother so they have that, walks and weekly adventures in the world at large. I try to keep them tired. That helps take the wind out of the playing in the yard.

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 1

Getting close to two weeks 'in country' so to speak and we have some observations and things to report.

One of my concerns has materialized however. Lili's leg is starting to go out more frequently and that concerns me. I've upped her Chinese herbs and as long as she's well stabilized she seems to hold her own. ....

I read this like a quick thud to the solar plexus.

If commiseration and empathy can help from a distance, then you are well and profoundly surrounded.

• Like 1

So far is hasn't gone too far astray but she does get the occasional pop when they tussel. The pup is the Tasmanian Devil, a tsunami, several tornadoes, a cyclone and a bio hazard on occasion all rolled in to one little dynamo!

The overarching fact is that Lili loves this little pup. The pup still thinks she's in charge.

Thanks for the kind words guys, it really does help.

Edited by Chinatola
  • Like 2

Here's a recent tussle between the dogs (yesterday afternoon)...the pup gets really bent out of shape when she can't dominate Lili and it's funny to watch her ramp up. Lili is very cautious but she's taken the gloves off on more than one occasion already. Kona is beginning to realize that play time doesn't always have to be at 200 MPH with her hair on fire!

• Like 2

Breakthrough!

Over the last few days Kona has been going down at about 930 or so. She starts fading about about 8 and we spend the next 45 minutes trying to keep her awake. Then it's out for a potty break and then another 30 or so minutes of trying to keep her awake some more! It's hilarious actually.

She fell asleep on the chair this morning after sleeping through the night last night! 9:30 PM to 5:30 AM!

sleepy.jpg

There is peace in the Chinatola household.

Until she wakes up...

• Like 7

This made me smile. Boone is also ready to crash by 7 pm and it's a struggle to keep him awake. Then when we're ready for bed around 10 he has an energy spurt and wants to play. He slept from 11 pm until 6:30 this morning and we were excited!!

• Like 3

Luckily for us we have Liliko'i around and she takes the brunt of the puppies focus and energy all day...otherwise I think I'd catatonic by now.

we're on day four of full night sleep!

• Like 1

Significant progress today.

I went in to the shop today and Julie stayed home with the pup. We've taken to splitting duties with myself as primary caregiver working from home in a virtual environment. I just love technology. I had an appointment though and that took precedence today.

So...pursuant to the logic of the day we've established a routine and put Kona on our schedule and she's adapted quite well. At first there were titanic struggles and great gnashing of teeth and displays of reckless abandon but that has given way to a more relaxed and oriented pup, still willful and headstrong as ever but decidedly more in rhythm with the routine of the day.

So...I arrive home about 7+ o'clock and the pups are happy to have me back in the house. So happy in fact that Kona relieves herself on the box pad! Became so overwhelmed with the excited of 'Daddies Home' that she lost it a little.

I find out after the fact that she had gone to the coat hanger at the back door and nudged the leash several times today in her process of putting 2 and 2 together.

We laughed at the baby peeing herself at being excited because I came home.

She's getting closer....hasn't had an accident in a couple of days now....

• Like 2

IMG_1099.JPG

A moment of peace.

IMG_1104.JPG

Second set of shots today and some de-wormer stuff. 12.7 pounds.

Movin' right along...

IMG_1105.JPG

• Like 5

A moment of peace.

http://www.iidoba.org/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifIMG_1104.JPG

This picture with them having arms entwined..... Draco (almost 5) and Wicca (almost 4) still take time each day for moments of intimacy like this.

On their first morning potty break, they'll take off out the door in different directions, circle the yard and, yet, frequently end up doing their business just a few feet from each other.

I'll carry the image with me in my mind's eye today.. to me, it is a nearly perfect picture and touches sublimely subtle places deep in my heart..

• Like 3

I'd like to think that it was divine intervention that brought this image about but alas I must confess. They were in rapture due to the fact that I was eating slices of lunch meat directly from the bag. It was reminiscent of the scout from Dances with Wolves frying up bacon and eating it hot...right before he got shot in the a$$ and scalped....I can imagine to them it was all flailing about, pieces of ham dangling quite temptingly. When I looked down and saw that they were situated thus I only had my cell handy...so viola. Thank Dog for cell phones.

They haven't yet reached that 'comfortable with one another' stage ...they're really close but Lili isn't the most cuddly dog in the world...she'll nuzzle and 'hug' but she's mostly business and that business is the tennis ball...she's more a loner than a cuddler. For example; Kona longs to nap on Lili and Lili's having none of it. Not next to her or near her...on her. Her belly, shoulder, tail, leg...even saw her once nudging up to Lili's ear...didn't have the camera for that one which would have been great.

Having said that though they have their time 'together' mock wrestling on the floor that extends out 30-45 minutes at a stretch sometimes. It devolves into a face wresting event worthy of a Wide World of Sports retrospective!

Kona likes her house and especially her sister! Lili? She's sort of like: "yea, she's fun...I guess"

Edited by Chinatola
  • Like 3
...they're really close but Lili isn't the most cuddly dog in the world...she'll nuzzle and 'hug' but she's mostly business and that business is the tennis ball...she's more a loner than a cuddler.........Having said that though they have their time 'together' mock wrestling on the floor that extends out 30-45 minutes at a stretch sometimes. It devolves into a face wresting event worthy of a Wide World of Sports retrospective!

This sounds exactly like Tolinka who is the serious one and Two Step who is the "love sponge." :wub:

• Like 2

Love sponge...I like that! Kona is spongy to the MAX!!!!

Sponges are great. My sponge is pouting because the boys got to go to the barn (night hunting) while my husband works out. Cake went through another growth (sigh - her bottom is now higher than Waki's chin when they are standing) and is having the fear that we have learned comes with it (her head got bigger so probably brain growing- help meeee she's already too smart). I am glad that she will stop growing at some point. The fear periods are a drag. Anyway to your point C, Waki was the same way as Sis, even making fierce noises for bodily infringement - mostly at bed time but he came around after a while. Now he still sets the rules but every day they have some form of touchy, love fest. It's at once cute, mushy and hilarious. Today it was her grooming his pumpkin cheeks (which I've started to pinch too). Lili may come around even if it's not when you can see. We had a cat that would pretend to hate the loving our female GSD would give it - unless it thought no one was looking, then it was harps and hearts.

• Like 2

My sponge! I love that.

Spongy-Head is napping today...her shots knocked her out.

IMG_1109.JPG

Did you say food?

IMG_1110.JPG

• Like 3

Thanksgiving, post breakfast romp...

• Like 1

Ahhh that stubborn streak! ;)

Tayamni knows come UNTIL she thinks there is something better to pay attention to! :blink:

• Like 1