Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

A Pup Grows In Brooklyn

Neon (aka Neo)

We're in love with our pup. He is catching on really quick. We've been able to teach him something new almost every day (sit, high 5, lay down, roll-over).....

1. Neo loves the backyard. We enjoy taking him out in the morning and watching him follow the warmth of the sun as he chases flies. He is so curious and inquisitive. He definitely loves to climb the wood planks we built, dig in the dirt, chew on sticks, rocks, and plant roots.
2. Neo isn't afraid of anything when he is at home. He isn't bothered by the vacuum cleaner or coffee grinder. Outside of the house though, he is a little more timid. Especially in the car, but he is getting better. We find that he immediately calms down when he sits on floor of the passenger side of the car.
3. He hates when the crate is closed. He howls, claws, and bites the crate, and hurts himself. We can tell he doesn't like to be trapped. When the crate is not closed, he loves being in there. Its like a special den where he stashes toys and snuggles with his blankets. When we are playing with Neo and he gets tired, he heads to his crate and immediately passes out.
4. We attached the water dish to his crate that you(Kim) sent with him in the carrier. We thought he might be afraid of it, after the flight, but we think there are smells that remind him of his brother and sisters and Kim. He drinks sideways from the dish and tucks his right ear to the side so that it won't rub up against the crate.
5. Last night was the first night he slept all the way through. We decided to make a pseudo den in the bedroom with towels under a bookshelf nook. Most nights, we close the crate door while he is sleeping, but then when he wakes up and howls. Our intuition tells us that Neo is not meant to be crated. Also, we do not let him in bed, and he seems content to just lay next to us.
6. Sometimes Neo reminds us of a cat. He prowls and pounces, his body sways when he walks, and he has a fierce temper which he confidently displays through claw swipes and stealth nips. And ohhhh the noises he makes! Purring, whistling, howling, yelping, barking, speaking, growling, yelping, grumbling.
7. Neo is stubborn when it comes to submission. He is a fighter. We have had to hold him down for 10 minutes or longer sometimes. He kicks, nips, barks, and growls during this long process, and then submits and comes back fighting 5 minutes later. I think that being homebound while we wait for his second vaccination has really added to his pent-up puppy aggression. I have found that whispering or talking softly to him while correcting behavior, really helps. It is like he is starting to understand the words I am saying. I heard somewhere that dogs can hear just fine, and that there is no need to yell. Tone says it all.
8. Ears, compass for emotion
9. Eyes, always looking around.
10.Leash and collar--getting used to them and getting better with them everyday!

1384289_10153508166135707_1614898723_n.jpg

1467302_10153539757630707_191494806_n.jpg

IMG_6628.JPG

IMG_6822.JPG

IMG_6823.JPG

IMG_6888.JPG

IMG_6895.JPG

IMG_7061.JPG

IMG_7065.JPG

IMG_7085.JPG

IMG_7094.JPG

• Like 3
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

American Indian Dog

Neon (aka Neo)   We're in love with our pup. He is catching on really quick. We've been able to teach him something new almost every day (sit, high 5, lay down, roll-over).....     1. Neo loves t

A dog walks into a bar....

Posted Images

What a character! Excellent title. I feel as though you will regale us with many stories of life in the city as an AID.

So why do you have a wall bear at puppy nose height?

• Like 1

Neon (aka Neo)

7. Neo is stubborn when it comes to submission. He is a fighter. We have had to hold him down for 10 minutes or longer sometimes. He kicks, nips, barks, and growls during this long process, and then submits and comes back fighting 5 minutes later. I think that being homebound while we wait for his second vaccination has really added to his pent-up puppy aggression. I have found that whispering or talking softly to him while correcting behavior, really helps. It is like he is starting to understand the words I am saying. I heard somewhere that dogs can hear just fine, and that there is no need to yell. Tone says it all.

We taught Draco the command "Submit". It means to lie peacefully on your side -- or -- if sitting on the Vet's exam table to remain still right where you are.

Wicca learned it from Draco.

I'm not saying they like it, but they know we won't ask them to become completely submissive and unprotected unless it's for a good reason. Something about showing them respect and thereby earning their trust over time.

We got into a few of those long battles, especially with Draco. I hated it.

It seems every time, I felt like I had missed early window of opportunity. If I had just paid closer attention, the submission could have happened short & quick & effective. But, they would turn into these long, drawn out battle royals. Necessary? I don't know. We got through it.

My Dad's advice? "Do what you do from love. Then, that will be the minimum lesson shared. And, if you come from love, you can't go too wrong."

• Like 1

We taught Draco the command "Submit". It means to lie peacefully on your side -- or -- if sitting on the Vet's exam table to remain still right where you are.

Wicca learned it from Draco.

I'm not saying they like it, but they know we won't ask them to become completely submissive and unprotected unless it's for a good reason. Something about showing them respect and thereby earning their trust over time.

We got into a few of those long battles, especially with Draco. I hated it.

It seems every time, I felt like I had missed early window of opportunity. If I had just paid closer attention, the submission could have happened short & quick & effective. But, they would turn into these long, drawn out battle royals. Necessary? I don't know. We got through it.

My Dad's advice? "Do what you do from love. Then, that will be the minimum lesson shared. And, if you come from love, you can't go too wrong."

I taught Willow something similar. "Chill" is to lay down, "Chill Out" is to lay with her head all the way down, and "Shame" is laying on her side in a submissive state.

Super cute puppy! Looks like you're having a great time!

• Like 1

Neo was my favorite puppy at Kim's. He had this quiet intensity and gorgeous eyes that mesmerized me. Thank you for sharing how he's doing; please keep it up. Excellent photos.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

:ph34r: Not quite sure how this happened.....

I left Neo home alone this afternoon for 20 minutes to walk to my office, which is only two blocks away. I put all of the wooden chairs on the kitchen table, and all of the other goodies he likes to chew on up there too. I thought for sure he wouldn't be able to get into any trouble while I was away. Usually when I open the front door to our apartment, Neo is waiting with his tail wagging-BUT not this time! The little Houdini managed to jump onto the kitchen table and precariously maroon himself up there without knocking off or breaking a single item! When I opened the door he howled and leapt right into my arms! I can't wrap my head around this one--how did he manage to get on the table!?

• Like 2

That is one good looking pup. They are magical that way aren't they? It's amazing some of the interesting things that they'll find their way into. Glad no one or no thing got hurt or damaged. More pictures please!

• Like 1

Interestingly I bet he knew why all of those "don't touch" things were up on the table. Oh the temptation.....Then when he found himself amongst all those "no no's" he clearly decided to wait for your return so that nothing would be disturbed. I love the way these dogs think and rationalize things....or maybe I am way off base, but I do think there is a thread of truth here. B)

• Like 2

We decided to drive Neo from Brooklyn to Orlando for Thanksgiving. He was perfect in the car, accept for one mishap involving BBQ sauce. Here are some photos from his first dog park visit on the trip, which include his first beach and first swim!

IMG_8272.JPG

IMG_8282.JPG

IMG_8284.JPG

IMG_8290.JPG

IMG_8294.JPG

IMG_8226.JPG

IMG_8224.JPG

IMG_8230.JPG

IMG_8232.JPG

IMG_8235.JPG

IMG_8240.JPG

IMG_8241.JPG

IMG_8243.JPG

IMG_8249.JPG

IMG_8259.JPG

IMG_8263.JPG

IMG_8264.JPG

IMG_8269.JPG

IMG_8270.JPG

IMG_8274.JPG

• Like 1

Wow, ask and ye will receive indeed! Thanks for the wonderful shots.

It's so cool watching them grow. I looooove how they just 'want to know'.

Lili loves the dog park...big fan! Can't wait for the new season passes.

look.jpg

back.jpg

jumper.jpg

It's been tough weather around here for the last couple of days so Lili is getting antsy without long walks. She's used to it though...I go in starts and stops anyway depending on hip...or back...or ankle...or knee... or eye....or hair......

strollin.jpg

jumper2.jpg

• Like 1

Heh Heh Heh - Ivory dog + BBQ sauce. Makes perfect sense.

Hey I'm important too, guess I need to be on the table - makes sense. My boy use to sit on my purse when I'd start to get ready to go out. There's definitely a thought process going on of some sort.

• Like 1

I am still trying to figure out how he got up there. This was a jump up that a cat could make, but a puppy?!

These dogs ARE cats in dog cloths. :wub:

We decided to drive Neo from Brooklyn to Orlando for Thanksgiving. He was perfect in the car, accept for one mishap involving BBQ sauce.

and....WD40, and oil paints they find that is so tasty? , and glow sticks, and BBQ charcoal, and cheese, and crab shells, and slippers, and don't forget cell phone charger wires and any wire lying on the floor, (Two Step likes that zip he gets with the electrical) and cat poop, and fat sticks to start the fire with, and very dead rodents to eat and or roll in, the dozens of balls that they hide in the garden until you refuse to buy more, then they magically find them and they appear on your door step, and cat food that they have to reach for way up high with uncanny talent, robbing from the kitchen counter, flea bites that they give to the kitties and you are not so sure that it's gentle, but it is, the 50 lbs that they plops down next to you and / or on top of your body, in bed (if you sleep with them), the sound of their breathing when they are asleep, the walk of the fence line to find their latest hole of escape even though they have a HUGE space to roam and play in, those eyes that look at you with understanding, anticipation, unconditional love and innocence, the look that says.... "I swear I'm not the one that did THAT....and then there is that look to see what YOU are going to ask of them next. In the big picture, it's all about this huge bucket of unconditional love. :wub: I wouldn't trade it for the world. I want another potato chip. Two just isn't enough. Maybe that's what I will name my next one......"Potato Chip."

• Like 1

@Neo, yes we are from the Chicago area. We live in the Western Suburbs: Lisle. Those pictures are from Memorial Park in Downers Grove (not a dog park by the way...just a green-space which is pretty nice...it was a long walk on a recent fall afternoon). It's south of the Burlington Northern tracks and north of Maple Avenue near the Avery Coonley School (if you happen to be familiar with that obscure reference).

@ Mol: Well, we have a Cake now so why not some Potato Chips and even maybe an onion dip!

• Like 1

Cake has that stripe on her head too. Looks like someone took a finger and stole a taste of frosting. She's got a lot of sable coming in over her former gold coat - looks more and more like the picture of her mom - Feather in her winter coat under the breeders page.

How old is Neo?

Hi Sherab,

Neo was born September 6. So he is almost 14 weeks. It has been amazing to watch him grow and to see the changes in his coat and eyes. He used to be white with green eyes, and now his coat is getting darker and his eyes are an emerald topaz color. He also has a chocolate diamond on his back (I will get better photos of this).

We have enjoyed all of Cakes updates on the forum. Gorgeous girl!

Emerald- topaz, that is a good description. I was thinking cat's eye marble or butterscotch but with an infusion of green at the right angle.

Thanks for the complement on Cake. I would have to agree with Joyous1 who posted her gorgeous girl and said "every day I see her and I can't quite believe she's real" or something very similar. Cake stepped out of a dream. Waki on the other hand gets a reaction of - well there you are. Even though people can't put their finger on what sort of dog he is, the expectation is that there should be and always have been dogs that look like him and so of course finally there he is. Overdue but here exactly as should be. In fact our vet didn't enter "American Indian Dog" into the computer as a breed until Cake. Guess they needed to see something unusual to believe.

PS will be curious to see if he stays dreamy creamy or if he gets some frosting of black or brown.

Edited by Sherab

Cake really is the living dream, and I am sure a lot of people ask questions about her "breed". She is very unique and her coloring is stunning. MORE PHOTOS!

So far, most people have been asking us if Neo is a wild dingo, or a coyote, and then we get the occasional person at night who thinks he is a lab puppy from far away (because of his color). He definitely looks like a wild animal in person. His legs are so long and his paws are huge, and he doesn't move like a normal dog.

What responses have you gotten from people regarding their guess to Cakes breed?