Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

http://www.iidoba.org/forums/uploads/monthly_03_2010/post-3-1267561830.jpg

Cascade Moon Rise

Owner: Michelle Roberts

Cassie is climbing an Obsidian dome out in the Medicine Lake Highlands (NE California). Although this Obsidian is used to make arrowheads, and is as sharp as glass shards, Cassie scaled this dome and returned without a scratch.

stunning photo....

Beautiful, That's in Modoc County, right? I've always wanted to go there.

AWsome Obsidian is also used to keep bad spirits / ghost out of your home u put it in the corners of the rooms nice I am glade he did not get hurt beautiful pick

Glad I decided to check in today!

The Medicine Lake Highlands are in Modoc National Forest, either in Modoc County or the very eastern part of Siskiyou. It is one of my favorite places, lots of volcanic features. Besides the obsidian, there are lava tubes and a cinder cone with a fire lookout you can rent for a night (the view is awesome!). Medicine Lake itself is nice, you can take boats out on it and swim or fish...I went kayaking on it last summer. Cassie loves it too, she even waded around in the lake in spite of an aversion to water!

By the way, technically you can't collect obsidian from this particular spot, though you can get permits for other parts of the forest. I do have a few nice pieces but I'd rather not say from where... :)

Here as another photo that shows how grueling this landscape can be:

cassie_obsidian3.jpg

.... she even waded around in the lake in spite of an aversion to water!

My dog has an aversion to water too. Is it an inherent trait if these dogs? Lola wont even go outside if it's raining (which is does all the time this time of year). I guess if these are plains dogs, that would make sense.

Danza hated water, but has grown to love it. She's gotten to the point where she flies into the river after tennis balls and tries to beat the other dogs. She manages, too.

Cassie hates the rain too, I have to walk outside with her to convince her she won't melt. Strangely enough, when I took her out to Mount Shasta for her first real snow adventure (the 2 inches we got at home didn't really count), she loved it. I guess it doesn't feel as wet to her!

How about now? Scroll back up to see the pic.