Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Preparing For A Puppy

(Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this)

Hello all!

My name is Felix. I haven't really introduced myself here so I suppose this will work. (Kim, if you are reading this my papers are registered with my name is Jennifer, my legal name) Everyone calls me Felix though. :)

So I got the call today! and dun dun dun... I wasn't ready! What an awful puppy momma huh? We have so much going on right now we just need a little extra time to get things ready for our pup. This is a big deal for us and we want to make sure all things fall into place (or at least make an effort to try, right?).

We have 4 kitties at our house, so we are in the process of creating a cat enclosure in the backyard in order to give them more space from the puppy and ease tensions. We'll be doing our whole 1/3 acre backyard so plenty of room for the puppy and the cats. We saw a few systems out there and realized it would be tons cheaper (about 1/4 the price) to make our own. Ill be using 1/2 wooden dowel rods secured to the existing wooden privacy fence with a flagpole bracket going out by 2 ft, then Ill be using a copper elbow at 40 degrees secure another 2 ft dowel in order to make an overhang. Then I'll lay mesh over this (haven't settled on the right mesh for the right prices) secured with zip ties. I'll post progress pictures if anyone else is interested in how it turns out.

We're in the process of buying our house and our closing date is soon, plus we're in the process of relocating our business to be closer to home. I suppose I thought it would be a longer wait until I got the call and I was wrong! But next time that phone rings I'll be ready.

:)

HI Felix (the cat - got that old cartoon theme in my head now)

I'm not sure there was a question in your post. You certainly have a lot going on and so made a sound decision to wait. A new pup is a lot of work and brings it's own chaos with. Just in case there was a question hiding in there, here's some stuff on new pups. First if you go to the "New Puppy" forum, Allison has pinned a bunch of stuff on things like registration and deworming.

There are some good threads on the Forum under many topic titles that talk about getting ready for a puppy. Including lists of things to have on hand, you can do all sorts of things but when the pup arrives there will probably still be something and you won't know what it is until you have YOUR pup.

Greatest past hits include Non Dog other pet introductions http://www.iidoba.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3576&hl=%2Bgetting+%2Bready

The joys of crating (or not) http://www.iidoba.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3470&hl=%2Bgetting+%2Bready&do=findComment&comment=32884

And the classic help this puppy bites (don't quit until you get to the squirt bottle part) http://www.iidoba.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3030&page=2&hl=%2Bgetting+%2Bready&do=findComment&comment=32303

Good luck with your move and your other move and your building project.

• Like 1

Thank you!

I guess it wasn't so much of a question but more of a discussion.

I will look into those threads Ive read most of the pinned posts in the puppy forum and Im always willing to learn more. We like to do a lot of DIY stuff so I was just curious to see if anyone else was interested in the enclosure we're building, but I know thats off topic haha.

You'll have to forgive me I'm incredibly scatterbrained.

Hi Jennifer-Felix!

First, I commend you on knowing this is not the time for you to take a pup. It was a wise and unselfish decision to wait for the right time. It will work better for you and just as important, the pup. You will have handled the stress you're going through and the pup will then be the priority. We currently have five of these pups and have raised ten total. They are an amazing but demanding breed. If there's anything you ever need or want to know, please don't hesitate to throw the questions or thoughts out there. There isn't anything that you will encounter when one day you are ready to own a pup that someone before you hasn't!

Larry Germain and Judy Kosloski

Central Lake MI

• Like 3

Hi Felix,

I have seen cat enclosures that are built right up against the house with a window that can be opened where by the cat can be both in the house and also go outside in the enclosure. Kim and Arleen did this, and added tree limbs for the cats to climb on...... Pretty cool. Just a thought.... B)

• Like 2

I love the idea of tree limbs in a cat enclosure!

We have a really neat tree house in the backyard, its like a tree house deck with a railing and staircase. Its nestled in one two 200 year old oak trees in the backyard. The only problem is not the cats are climbing wayyyyy too far out on a tree they normally wouldn't be able to climb. hahaha. My boy Ricky is a bobtail, (it looks like a bunny tail haha) Walked about 50ft out on a wobbly branch the other day, and because he already suffers from no tail clumsiness I though I was going to have a heart attack.

So, Im going to have to get real inventive blocking off certain limbs to them.

I do love how neat you can make cat enclosures but since the backyard already has a privacy fence it's about the same cost for me to enclose the whole thing so they can run around and get all that energy out (they're very active cats).

The prime objective is so the cats have places to hide from the puppy when there are issues, especially in the beginning. Plus both of them having a large shared outdoor space to feel at home in. We're closing on the house in about a month, so I'm really looking forward to getting everything organized and ready because Ive been waiting for the right time to get a puppy for about 3 years hahaha. (The deposit was my early Yule/holiday present)

This is about as rough as it ever got with my dogs as puppies and my cats:

rain and mellow IMG_1578_2.jpg

Oh goodie, you're pretty cool IMG_5244.jpg

rain and mellow IMG_1585_2.jpg

The pups learned to respect the cats immediately. :wub:

• Like 6

I had 4 cats when I first got Phoenix. I told her not to chase the kitties and she never did. In fact, Phoenix always thought I had the kitties so she could clean their plate after they were finish with their food. Phoenix always had great respect for all the cats. As time goes on, you will notice this breed has a very spiritual aura. They get alone with most animals. Phoenix has several friends that are not dogs or cats. - 2 toads and a chipmunk. They greet each other every day.

Just got my second dog, Mickey. Different personality but also very spiritual.

• Like 3

People have posted introducing the dogs to chickens, parrots, ferrets and other critters. Caution, supervision and do it as a pup seem to be good rules of thumb. These dogs were self feeders out of necessity once apon a time.

Waki has a lot of bear dog. His daddy was Newkim from the Yukon. He looks like and acts as little tazmanian devil at times. I would be very challenged to introduce any of these critters to Waki. He has caught and eaten rabbit, squirrel, chipmunk, vole, mouse, mole, frog, grasshopper and probably small birds. I have the words "no snacking" for our walks because he has caught in an instant rodents beside walking paths. He presses his nose to the glass at the pet store like it is a patisserie for dogs. Cake recently has also been successful with mice but is not anywhere near the self feeding machine of little Wakinyan. He shares with his girl so she has a taste for "wild game". The only way I could stop it is if they never went outside. Waki has to be de-tapewormed regularly due to his consistent wild game snacking.

IMG_5179.jpg Who me eat delicious rabbit? Me too little.

• Like 4

Right, Sherab! Always better safe than sorry. I policed my dogs with my parrot for many months.

Kim often talks about some dogs being "chasers" and others being "catchers". Pups, of course, are simply pups and you can't trust them right away, but you will soon see the tendencies that become the adult dog.

Their loyalty to "the pack" will be clear, but if I took my dog to someone's house with chickens, I would police him again. They are not his parrot, not his pack.

However, my older dog knew he could chase the pigeons (which were trying to break into our attic and nest), but not the blue jays, or chickadees, or any of the birds I was feeding. He could tell the difference. And my little guy is now pretty much the same. He will chase the squirrel away from the feeder, but not the birds, and the birds are not afraid of him.

I recently had the very fun experience of dog sitting a G. wire-haired pointer, who is a regular bird hunter with his human. He swallows baby bunnies in one gulp. :lol: And says, "What bunnie?"

This is a very fixated dog, a bird hunting dog, that watched with me as our local wild turkeys walked by the yard, and he did not bark.

This person has taken the time to teach this dog. This is acceptable; this is not.

Now, maybe like Sherab's dog from certain lines, they will be more like the catchers, but you do have the opportunity to get them WORKING WITH YOU, and knowing what is acceptable and what is not.

This is your job as the Alpha of the pack.

• Like 3

The only thing I have a concern with pertaining to the cats is that one of my ginger cats is very domineering. He chases all the other cats around the house and quite frankly he's a bully (neck biting, pinning). My cats are all well behaved and very active, but Ricky (the cat I'm talking about) is such nuisance. I love him and he can be sweet, but like I said I'm not sure how he will react to the pup and vice versa. My best friend has an AI dog named Willow, and I didn't introduce her to my cats. They were really freaked out, especially ricky, but for the most part too afraid to come close. My black cats are braver, more curious, and were already trying to play with the pup before she left.

Another reason why I think having the added backyard space for the cats is going to help ease tension.

Having an enjoyable puppy free refuge is a great idea for any older animal.

You can't predict how things will go, you can only provide multiple good and safe introductions, police and adjust as things unfold. Some animals have an instant connection (good or bad) and others acquire a taste for each other over time. Some never do. 8 years ago we moved and the house came with a stray tomcat. At first our black GSD chased the cat up a tree every time and he always came back. Eventually they became the best of buddies. That cat went for walks and cried if he fell too far behind. Pooped during the poop walk and was our girl's "special" puppy. When that cat passed we got Wakinyan to fill the void. He is our "cat". He's been a lesser barn cat hunter but he made our GSDs very happy. It's true I haven't done much with his hunting instinct. I prefer mouse free barns / studio / automobiles and campers. In the beginning I tried to discourage hunting of rabbit, squirrel or chipmunk. Within the fenced area - that translated into be sneakier and eat faster. Outside we have leave it, and the little buddy song. I'm afraid the best we've gotten to after 4 years is an" electric jolt" goes through his little body upon detecting game. It's like in a cartoon. Very funny. If he's on lead he will "go for it" because he knows he can't get far. If he's off lead he mostly and with visual effort, masters himself and does as told. Within the fenced area we have come to the conclusion that if it's dumb enough to be in there with him it's natural selection. We had rodentageddon this year and have filled Yupper traps (5 gallon bucket with marshmallow) time and again. I think this is why little cake actually got 2 mice - the only ones I know of in her 2 plus years. Currently a bobcat has moved in. Waki is in a literal pissing match with it - piddly-pee for pee.

If your cats are de-clawed in the front I wouldn't worry too much. Just focus on teaching the pup your rules with the cats and let the cats have their space. If you have intact front claws you will need to take care until the pup understands the business end of the cat. Supervise the pup closely and avoid it going full on Rude Face First since the cat will probably take a swipe at that little face and you want to avoid risk to the pup's eyes. You will know soon enough if your bully cat is going to stalk your pup. Good luck. It will all be fine, eventually and maybe even excellent.

• Like 1

Good luck. It will all be fine, eventually and maybe even excellent.

Yeah. They will probably be the best of friends and wrestle mates.

Watch them in the beginning, don't let the cat take undue advantage, but soon the dog will outweigh the cat.

I forsee them being fast friends.

Thank you for all the insight and advice.

My kitties aren't declawed but I do clip their claws regularly. They are sweet ones that just let me do basically whatever needs to be done grooming wise. Ive never had any of them get actually violent so I have a pretty good feeling that eventually it will work itself out.

Thats one of the reasons we decided to wait, so that we have more time to watch the pup and see how the interact. We're moving our studio closer to home, within 15 minutes hopefully so that I can run back home for mid day walks with the pup and finally stop eating out and start cooking more again.

Edited by Felix
  • Like 4
  • 5 months later...

Update,

It is very difficult for me to get chepi to stop from running after the cats. It would require me to have her on a constant leash because our cats are instant on hanging out in her area even if she chases them and pins them down. For the most part they tell her they don't want to play and she just kind of stands there tail wagging waiting for an in. With Neffy though he likes it... he lets her pin him down by the neck and hold him there. I tell her no but she is deaf when there are other animals or new people around. Even if I have treats.

I'm going to take her to some obedience classes with socialization and see if that might help a little bit.

• Like 3

Say his name first, then "NO". If he doesn't listen to you, then grab him and roll him over onto his back. Don't do a bunch of talking, just hold him there until he stops squirming. Stare into his eyes until he looks away. Growl a little.

Think of the mother dog. She growls and bares her teeth, and scares her pups. But even though she doesn't hurt them, they respect her. Chepi is doing what he wants. He is not respecting your authority.

Don't be scared of them mouthing you. Grab that muzzle, or hang on to that lower jaw. He won't like that. He'll think twice before doing it again. He is little and fast, but you are big and strong. Show him. He will respect you for that.

I always remember one thing Kim said to me. He was talking about the pups and "their little tricky minds". He says they know they are cute, and they use that to get their way. Before you know it, they are running the show.

It is much easier to take control now, than it will be when they are older. This is what Kim is always talking about....Tough Love.

We all have to do this about 4 or 5 times, less if you start from day 1. More, if you have allowed them to take control. But once it is done, you will be so glad. It doesn't break their spirit, but it sets the pack order.

• Like 5

Say his name first, then "NO". If he doesn't listen to you, then grab him and roll him over onto his back. Don't do a bunch of talking, just hold him there until he stops squirming. Stare into his eyes until he looks away. Growl a little.

Think of the mother dog. She growls and bares her teeth, and scares her pups. But even though she doesn't hurt them, they respect her. Chepi is doing what he wants. He is not respecting your authority.

Don't be scared of them mouthing you. Grab that muzzle, or hang on to that lower jaw. He won't like that. He'll think twice before doing it again. He is little and fast, but you are big and strong. Show him. He will respect you for that.

I always remember one thing Kim said to me. He was talking about the pups and "their little tricky minds". He says they know they are cute, and they use that to get their way. Before you know it, they are running the show.

It is much easier to take control now, than it will be when they are older. This is what Kim is always talking about....Tough Love.

We all have to do this about 4 or 5 times, less if you start from day 1. More, if you have allowed them to take control. But once it is done, you will be so glad. It doesn't break their spirit, but it sets the pack order.

Just like kids, and like kids they'll learn how to get what they want from the "other" parent. So make sure the both of you use the same disciplinary methods. Don't want puppy to pit mom against dad!

• Like 2

Alpha hold until submit worked for me with Coffey and Tayamni. Kelli however had to Coffey's ear with her teeth (no blood, just a pinch so he felt it) to get his attention.

I must have a more business like stare.

Tayamni knows she is faster than me and sometimes keeps darting around me as she has since a pup. So I go into the ignore phase and step away and then use my growling "business" voice - simple command and she understands. When she listens and calms down and comes I give her a treat and we move on our way. If she doesn't listen in time, then no treat - I don't reprimand after the fact, we move on.

Tayamni wants to play or just watch the squirrels and birds doing their thing.

Coffey has New Kim bloodline and is more like Waki. He hasn't caught anything except some lizards but he tries. The sheep herding training we do a few times a year is helping him. He doesn't bite the sheep and it is a great way for him to use his instincts AND learn to focus what people want him to do.

Sheep can have tapeworms (these sheep are wormed with dog friendly de-wormer), even though, both dogs eat some sheep poop - so I use Sentinel Spectrum as the heartworm med because it controls tapeworms and so far so good!

I never thought about the other critters (even scat) that could cause issues for the dogs ..... all fecals have been good - although we proactively de-worm once and sometimes twice a year depending on what the dogs have been up to.

CATS: I love Molly's cat & Rain. That is the best-est.

I have one cat that the dogs even as pups would step out of the way for - they still love him, he sleeps on the bed near the dogs. The other two cats they love to run after. They want to hold the cats down and clean them. Cats are just getting to like or put up with this now. I make sure I have enough high spaces for cat traffic. The cats can get out of the way as they want to. I don't declaw and have always clipped my cats claws regularly, especially as they are indoor cats.

• Like 1
Say his name first, then "NO". If he doesn't listen to you, then grab him and roll him over onto his back. Don't do a bunch of talking, just hold him there until he stops squirming. Stare into his eyes until he looks away. Growl a little. Think of the mother dog. She growls and bares her teeth, and scares her pups. But even though she doesn't hurt them, they respect her. Chepi is doing what he wants. He is not respecting your authority. Don't be scared of them mouthing you. Grab that muzzle, or hang on to that lower jaw. He won't like that. He'll think twice before doing it again. He is little and fast, but you are big and strong. Show him. He will respect you for that. I always remember one thing Kim said to me. He was talking about the pups and "their little tricky minds". He says they know they are cute, and they use that to get their way. Before you know it, they are running the show. It is much easier to take control now, than it will be when they are older. This is what Kim is always talking about....Tough Love. We all have to do this about 4 or 5 times, less if you start from day 1. More, if you have allowed them to take control. But once it is done, you will be so glad. It doesn't break their spirit, but it sets the pack order.

Thank you so much. I will try this next time. She has been listening better today (magically) so we shall see her temperament in the next couple days. The progress is slow but rewarding with her. :wub:

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
Update,

It is very difficult for me to get chepi to stop from running after the cats. It would require me to have her on a constant leash because our cats are instant on hanging out in her area even if she chases them and pins them down. For the most part they tell her they don't want to play and she just kind of stands there tail wagging waiting for an in. With Neffy though he likes it... he lets her pin him down by the neck and hold him there. I tell her no but she is deaf when there are other animals or new people around. Even if I have treats.

I'm going to take her to some obedience classes with socialization and see if that might help a little bit.

I keep a drag line on Zuni all the time for the same reason if i see him start to go after the cat you just step on it and he "self corrects" Its be helpful in reminding him

Update,

I keep a drag line on Zuni all the time for the same reason if i see him start to go after the cat you just step on it and he "self corrects" Its be helpful in reminding him

• Like 2

Tayamni listened well with "leave it" and she stopped running down the hall after the cats.

Coffey on the other hand, will miss a meal because he is more interested in when one cat in particular is finished eating.

He will chase her down the hallway - no that's not exactly right... It's not like he wants to catch her, it's more like running after her down the hallway.

He is 17 months today and have noticed he doesn't run as fast or as far down the hallway, so he is finally, maybe starting to grow out of it???????

When he was younger we tried the leash dragging on him to catch and stop him and it didn't deter him - he gets very determined!

for him, I think it's a question of him finally starting to calm down and he'll get tired of it.

The cats are no worse for wear and he's never gone after them maliciously - just the opposite - he so wants to LOVE them!!!!!

They however do not want to be cuddled by Coffey. Not yet anyway.

• Like 3