Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Lightbulb Moment In Dog Training

Wyot is going on 6 months now, and while he is generally well behaved, smart etc., he has his moments when all bets are off. The frustration of being ignored, the jumping up on a person or us, despite repeated gentle pushing down without looking at him. You know, the drill, they get kooky, have their own agenda if off leash, out of control excited barking, zooming around and won't listen to anything you say.!!!

Well, today, his change in attitude was monumental. All it took was a simple time out! I've ignored him before when behavior was not where I wanted it to be...but he still didn't quite get it. Two days ago, he was introduced to the living room because we thought he was ready for a little more territory. He loves it, and first time was so enthusiastic, that he ate a bit of my aloe plant, ran around sniffing every corner, carried pieces of wood we hadn't swept up from the wood stove. Generally, pretty good. BUT, he wanted to assert himself, and today, jumped up on me, and I push down gently to discourage that. He did NOT like it, came back for a more aggressive jump, and then started the loud barking and wanting to nip at me..I just took him (I leave the harness on him during the day, which makes it easier to "catch" him) wordlessly, and put the gate back up between the foyer and the living room, denying him entry....I didn't come back for about 10 minutes, maybe 15. I let him in again, and not ten minutes later, he did it again.No words, no reprimand, not looking at him at all, just took him and put the gate up again, leaving him alone. Well, this next time, did the trick. I WAS THE BOSS, and he is completely changed!

Normally, he jumps up on my husband when he comes in the door. He didn't do that...he watched him come in, adoringly looking at him, and WAITED to be paid attention to. I came into the kitchen, and he would always want to jump and see if he could get a treat of some sort (they know when something is food related, lol!) but he calmy just stayed where he was, and sat in the sun by the sliding doors while I prepared AND ate my lunch! All day since this morning's time out, he seems to have a different outlook and knows now that I am the leader of the pack. But NO words used at all is what is amazing. I also learned a new one today, that if you leave bully sticks, horns, or any other food- like treats hanging around for them to chew on anytime, then THEY have control. Giving them those treats on YOUR terms only is making you in control, and they respect that. I also have started to leave a bit of rope on his harness when he walks around in the field, so that I can step on it and train him to listen to me when I call....I am still debating if I really need the e-collar. I'm not sure I want extra stuff hanging around his neck even if I don't use anything but the buzz, not a low shock (he starts to want to scratch it off real bad anyway). I'm also starting to think I need to think like a dog, and not like a human, lol!! It's amazing how responsive they are when WE realize how to communicate what we want in THEIRr language! :rolleyes:

Always learning!! :):lol:

• Like 4

I make sure I have them look into my eyes before I ask them to do anything...that way I know I have their attention. Another light bulb.

• Like 2

https://www.amazon.com/Signature-Biothane-33-Feet-8-Inch-Black/dp/B005CXIZ3E

^This is what I used to train Rune his recall and I highly recommend it. I found letting him drag a rope or regular leash put him at constant risk of getting hung up on things which, given how fast he runs, wasn't ideal. This is made of a material that is slippery enough that it doesn't tend to catch on anything (unless you're climbing rocks in which case it can get wedged pretty tightly between two of them or under one), but has enough of a texture that it doesn't slip in your hands when you grab it. And the 33 ft length is great because it makes it so much easier to catch them in a hurry if need be. Only real issue I had with it is you have to be careful when they're doing zoomies because if they get too close to you, you have to really keep an eye on where that line is so it doesn't wrap around your leg. I would only attach this (or any long line) to a harness and not a collar though, because if they're zooming away and get caught on anything that's a pretty severe jolt.

I have an e collar also and used it for both of my dogs during their 'teenager' stage. I trained both to have a pretty solid recall when they were puppies, but the collar was nice when I put them to the test and gave them a little more freedom (allowing them off leash when there are other dogs around, etc) because it removes the opportunity for them to try to push your boundaries - as we all know they will! I tend to only use the vibrate unless they're so distracted they don't even feel that, which does happen sometimes. T doesn't ever need it anymore, but Rune still wears it when we're off leash in public. I rarely have to use it, but it gives me peace of mind!

• Like 4

thanks for all the tips! I am using a rock climbing rope, so it is the same kind of material as the link above, and is easy for me to catch, as it is to go around trees and tree limbs and branches...so far, hasn't done the zoomies with it on, and his harness is usually enough for me to grab a hold of him. When I do get him, I gently cradle him around his body, hand under his chin which seems to settle him. I don't say anything at all, and we sit like this for a minute or two, and then I say he is a good boy, and release. He generally gets better after that, but I need a few tries with that. My biggest problem at the moment is him jumping up on people excitedly, and on us, and a bit of nipping when he doesn't get his way (hard headed knuckle head that he is, lol!), and now that his adult teeth are halfway in, if your skin gets caught in this, yowza!!! BIG ouch.... So, the time out works, at home. I kept reading, so I think I will use the e collar when we are out, so I can better control him. It is hard to keep him down when on leash, because he is a strong little bugger! He is very leggy at the moment, and his strength is quite amazing, and I wish I could capture his very easy but incredible leaping abilities!

• Like 1

Thanks for the link woodrat!

I just ordered an e-collar for Coffey. I also looked at Don Sullivan's training kit. I still may get that because I would like to learn more training tips and am slowly studying dog behavior (maybe take classes someday and become a dog behaviorist).

Tayamni and Coffey are like day and night as far as training.

Coffey is really good (and smart) but reactive on and off leash. Tayamni was easily trained not to lunge or run fences, etc. Tayamni does test me but listens. She is 2.5 yrs now.

We did try long lines but they got tangled and I gave up on that because Coffey so reactive (high prey drive) and felt safety more important. Coffey is almost 2 yrs old and we've been consistent training but he knows now he can do what he wants in backyard or anywhere off-leash and I have to physically walk up to him then he will go to house like I am herding him in. I kept holding off thinking he will grow out of it but when we get him to stop reacting in one area he finds another outlet.

Glad others are proactive. KittynDoc, that type of training you described work great for Tayamni, too!

That is one of the challenges bit also one of the things I like so much about these dogs. Each dog is unique in the way we unlock respect from them and further learning!

• Like 2