Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

So my little angel has turned out to be a fierce watchdog! A little too fierce, actually...she has taken to barking at every stray sound. Examples: when taking her out to go potty, at anybody up or down our street making any sounds whatsoever. At any dog barking outdoors even when we are indoors. Looking out the living room window and barking at any car or person walking past...barking and hair bristling on her back, and not stopping until I get quite forceful with her. When she is in the backyard barking at any sound from any neighbors yard. She barks repeatedly, not stopping often until I am right on top of her and really having to raise my voice to get her to hush, sometimes even restraining her...and then as soon as I let her go, she may start barking again. It's getting frustrating and tiresome, the rinse and repeat cycle of it. She is doing generally awesome and life is good, except for the continual need to make her hush. Ideally, I'd like to train her to bark only when somebody is approaching our house or rings the doorbell, for example, and then only bark once and stop when I calmly ask her to hush, but she seems to not respond to calm assertiveness at this point. Any sage words of wisdom for me?

By the way, I really try to get her plenty of exercise so I don't think it is a pent up energy thing. She get's daily dog park run, beach or park ball throwing mega sessions, or long walks. I try for sure

Edited by Sri
  • Like 1

Kim just whistles and, in a calm assertive voice loud enough to be heard, he yells "No Barking". If only it were that easy. I find that a plastic water bottle with about 20 pennies inside enough to get the attention of a barking dog immediately after a firm "No Barking" command. The noise startles the dog and will soon learn that "No Barking" means no barking or that loud noise happens. But the biggest thing and probably the hardest thing to remember is to follow through if the dog does not listen. The penny bottle needs to be at hand if he doesn't listen to my command. If I am outside and the bottle is not with me, which it usually isn't, I step forward and get his attention and redirect him. I will give the command no more than twice then I make him listen. I hope this helps as it has helped me.

• Like 5

I use the "redirect the attention" method and carry a small leash when I see that Two Step (my barker) has gotten carried away with his vocals. Like Greg, the penny bottle probably won't be at my side unless I attach it to my belt. :o Then I'd be rattling all over the garden. :D

• Like 2

Bandit has gotten better, but is also very protective - barks at every airplane, bird, even barked at the snow coming down this past week. When we first brought him home, he barked at the TV, the air conditioning, and STILL barks if my stomach growls. :)

• Like 6

Remember that it is a phase, and if you keep on them, it will pass. But KEEP ON THEM!

I did something weird, that really worked for us. Inside the house, I taught him to "Bark" on command. Then "No Barking" was easy, just the other side.

I used a hand signal, and treats, and I had to do a lot of barking myself--about a million times, before Coyo would bark. Soon after that first bark, though, he got the idea. Then I taught him "woof", the quiet inside bark. Very useful.

I find it is easier to teach your dog to DO something, than to NOT DO something.

Don't give them that prize, until they make a sound.

• Like 6

Cake use to get squirrelly during growth spirits. It may just need to run its course. Have u done the spay yet? Hormones will make the defensive drive come out and if you are experiencing spring there are hormones in tne air. All my dogs have a little touch of march madness right now. Waki is focusing it on cake and cake would join the wind if I were to let her loose for a second.

You might try pointing to things before she barks and saying look look see? Good quiet. Once she understands see and quiet you can sometimes just say "thankyou i see it" and quiet. With miss Tara GSD loud speaker I would say let mommy see then look bored and say its nothing then yawn big (a calm down sign in dog) and walk away. Took the wind out of her sails usually. With shiva we tell him go bark out there and point to the next room. He usually can't be bothered.

• Like 3

What great, creative trainers you folks are. So many things to try, thank you very much. Love the Jedi redirects...No, woof please not BARK. I see it already, Yawn. Fantastic

Spring has indeed sprung on the north coast of California, flowers everywhere. And Sita is getting spayed tomorrow...keep her in your prayers if you would :)

• Like 6

What works for me inside is going to the window to see what she is barking at, asking her what she's barking at, telling her all is well and thanking her for the heads up. She comes away quietly---unless, of course, it's a squirrel or a FedEx truck--then all bets are off :P

• Like 5
.... And Sita is getting spayed tomorrow...keep her in your prayers if you would :)

Prayers sent! :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Tayamni is vocal - but it is different.

She likes to announce herself (REPEATEDLY), especially if she is not getting the attention she is expecting.

She also barks to entice play with other dogs "Hey, don't lay there - play with me NOW"

She has started INCCESSENT BARKING in the car - I think it's excitement to go somewhere - but it is ear splitting and hard to get her to stop.

(HMMMMM, THINK I WILL TRY THAT PENNY IN A BOTTLE TRICK. CAN KEEP IT UNDER MY SEAT!

Wonder if a small drinking water bottle will work or If it needs to be hard plastic?)

She also loves to bark loudly when she is in a place where here sound echoes - to the dismay of others and my sisters ears.

(Re-directing does not work as she starts up again and again).

and she yaps her head off sometimes when I or another person are speaking to each other - not sure if she's trying to join or control the conversation.

Most times I can get her to stop or lower her volume - by telling her INDOOR VOICE, and then when she's interrupting a conversation - I have actually turned to her and sternly said "That's enough, we heard you, I AM speaking now - it's my turn"

Weird thing is - that works over 90% of the time - at least for about 5 minutes - which is years in dog time!

(Roger is the bark non-stop at anything dog and glad Tayamni has not picked that up!)

Sri, I feel for you about the barking - especially if Sita is as loud and ear drum splitting as Tayamni.

Does your other pup bark at the same time? Or, is it just Sita Flower?

• Like 3

Sita Flower,....thoughts and good vibes to you.

• Like 2

Elena loves to bark at the mower and the quads! We are lucky that a "No shush Eleana" works most of the time. She wants to have the job of announcing everyone's arrival up the driveway and that we tell her "Good job!" Barks in the house started, but the boys just turned the tv up so loud one time that she ran and hid...leading to no more house barks...of course the tv has never been the same...children...lol Good luck on the spaying!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your kind intentions regarding Sita's spay today. I'm feeling pretty wistful and contemplative about it. I know it's part of the deal; our agreement with Kim, plus no desire to be a breeder or deal with puppies. Not to mention the hassle of dealing with a dog in heat twice a year. However, it really struck me in the past few days how I get to play Creator in Sita's life in so many ways, and part of this is making this decision for her, interrupting some natural order, that she will never have pups. Feeling sad about that :( She is such a magnificent creature, and she will never get to be a mama. I know she'd love it, be great at it, and make splendid pups.

She does and will have a great life with us, and yet it is in a very specific way that fits for us.

What a responsibility we hold in this unique relationship. Striking me deeply today

• Like 4

Aside from the contract, who would you breed her with? Kim has all the breeding AI Dogs so it would just be diluting who these dogs are.

In my view, it would be a disservice to breed my dog. I understand your reasons and they are with a good heart, but remember in the old days, selective breeding was in practice by the original peoples. Not all dogs are for furthering the lineage.

I would love to see AI Dog puppies (dogs whelping and nursing) and think Greg has the most awesomest position in being part of it all and learning from Kim! :wub:

I am of the opinion that it's hard to understand why people keep their dogs intact if they are not breeding stock.

All the large dominant/aggressive dogs to Tayamni at the Dog Park, I have noted to be UN fixed - in different stages of puberty (male & female).

She had not come into heat yet, and is very submissive. This total submissiveness seemed to escalate the dominance aggressively in the unfixed dogs.

I was going to wait until 6 - 6.5 months old but decided to do it right away at 5.5 months to make sure she was building hormones to set these other dogs off.

Like you mentioned, the head aches of heat cycles, and hormones in both sexes, and a female that doesn't breed and is not spayed is at higher risk for uterine, ovarian & mammory health issues.

A co-worker's dog was 7 years old, unspayed, never bred and almost died. She had pyometra - the unused uterus filled with pus - it is life threatening.

I know for every story like this there are other dogs that never have a related issue - but I prefer to focus on the service I am doing for my dog by spaying her.

Plus I've been around horses in heat (not being bred) and I really believe the dogs are happier after all is said and done.

Growing up we had house dogs and farm dogs. Oh, and my Aunts AKC show and breeding poodles, so I was exposed to many different dogs.

Sri, I hope you can find comfort in what I've written. I'm trying to give a different side of the coin, a different perspective for you to look at.

Let us know her progress! I know she is in good hands with you! :)

Sri, I said something just like that to Kim when I got my first dog. He told me every owner feels like this, that he has the bloodlines, and that we have to trust him.

In these past 14 years, I have seen proof upon proof, that what he says is true. I have also witnessed how much easier training is with a neutered/spayed dog.

Lastly, I would say that you remind me of that series of photos from Shiloh's photo shoot:

http://www.iidoba.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3419

The photo holding that little face in your hand, and the weight of responsibility-every choice, effecting their entire life..

I feel for ya, man, I really do.

• Like 3

Thank you both, I was just sharing my thoughts and feelings with folks who I reckoned might be able to relate. just to be clear, I never had any desire whatsoever to breed Sita...and I well understand the benefits of her spay today. Doesn't take away the feeling of something precious lost, even if many good things are gained and that's okay in my world. Gotta go pick her up now

• Like 2

Never thought anything like that Sri!

I know how much love you have for Sita Flower and how nerve racking some times were - when we both wondered if our pups were going to bond with us instead of every other person that approached!

Then there was this defining moment for you and a beautiful transformation!!!!!!!

You want her to have a full life and experiences. :)

I have Large Animal Husbandry education and experience and I think that allows me the different viewpoint / pragmatic.

Anyway, you're picking her up and I know you'll be there for her during this recovery.

It became another bonding opportunity with Tayamni and I. I wish you an even deeper connection with Sita - If that is possible :wub: (you two sound like you are pretty well bonded already B) )

• Like 1

mooka like to bark at everything including the moving trees ,i have found that a squirt bottle of water works great he is slowly learning to stop cause once he starts thats it now down to 2 squirts and barking stops and the belly grumps start.just keep on it and dont give up

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your kind intentions regarding Sita's spay today. I'm feeling pretty wistful and contemplative about it. I know it's part of the deal; our agreement with Kim, plus no desire to be a breeder or deal with puppies. Not to mention the hassle of dealing with a dog in heat twice a year. However, it really struck me in the past few days how I get to play Creator in Sita's life in so many ways, and part of this is making this decision for her, interrupting some natural order, that she will never have pups. Feeling sad about that :( She is such a magnificent creature, and she will never get to be a mama. I know she'd love it, be great at it, and make splendid pups. She does and will have a great life with us, and yet it is in a very specific way that fits for us. What a responsibility we hold in this unique relationship. Striking me deeply today

Draco is 5. Wicca is 4.

I still feel what you are writing/revealing here.

To me it is a profound and vital current of energy you are tuning into. And not to be taken too lightly. Nor, too heavily.

~~~~

The other day the crows started cawing. Joan, Draco, Wicca & I have learned to stop what we are doing and look up. The crows were chasing two bald eagles right overhead locked together in full flight mating ritual. Stunning.

When it was over, Draco and Wicca looked at us as if to say, "Well. That happened. We went through that together."

Feel it fully. Go all the way through it and together prove that, "This, too, shall pass."

~~~~

Thanks for speaking up... Always appreciate your insight.

• Like 7

Wow.

Thank you Gib. Right back at you, for real.

The potential of human/dog relationship is as vast as any other relationship, to me. No they are not humans, but from my perspective they are dog-people and when we treat them as such, much wonder and growth can ensue for all parties. Your crow story is a perfect example, in my book, of this...

• Like 4