Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Moving Soon...any Advice?

I need some tips on how to handle a move...we are currently needing to start packing, as we could close on our house as soon as Oct 8th!! I know this will produce some confusion, hopefully not anxiety for the dogs. When we do close, we will have to live in a 28 foot trailer (yes, not a lot of room at all, but thankfully , one wall goes out about 2-3 feet once we park it on our construction site), perhaps for 2 months until the house is built!

Lots of changes for all of us. Two dogs in a tight place...Kitchee currently goes right into his crate at night to sleep, and really don't know if that would even fit into the trailer, unless I just bring it in at night...but we will all be in very close quarters. He has never slept out of the crate yet...we had trained Wyot to do so around 9 - 10 months of age, and Kitchee will be right there next month. We had brought the dogs up to the new property to run around and hike on...but now, there is a lot of construction (not to mention oodles of mud because of our incessant rains of late)...I am pretty stressed about this, and I am also used to working on my business in my home and that is up in the air, because I need a bit of space for my work table (to make my herbal products as well as storing them), and my computer desk and printer!!! I'm sure it will work out, but the stress of not really knowing where this will all land, and making sure the transition isn't going to upend any training with the dogs thus far...we are thinking of getting a 10 x 10 pen for outside, with a partial cover and an igloo like Song dog has for the pups...) I hope they won't howl and yowl and bring every animal that lives in the wilderness behind us running, lol! We have a momma bear and three cubs up there, a fox with a den (we had seen further up our property that borders state land)...and lots of deer of course.

Any advice and tips would be SO appreciated!!! Thanks in advance to all...

• Like 3

Sounds like you are about to embark on a very exciting journey. What fun to live right next to the wilderness. If I had the chance to do this, I would make the dog pen MUCH larger and make it as a "fenced front yard" for you and the dogs. In other words, to get to the front door of your trailer, one would need to go through the dog pen. I would also use the trailer as part of the "fence." This way, the dogs know your every move in and out of the trailer, keeping the pack informed....just a thought.

Have a grand time on this adventure.

• Like 3
Sounds like you are about to embark on a very exciting journey. What fun to live right next to the wilderness. If I had the chance to do this, I would make the dog pen MUCH larger and make it as a "fenced front yard" for you and the dogs. In other words, to get to the front door of your trailer, one would need to go through the dog pen. I would also use the trailer as part of the "fence." This way, the dogs know your every move in and out of the trailer, keeping the pack informed....just a thought.

Have a grand time on this adventure.

Yes, that is a thought...I just don't know how much space there will be from the trailer to the build site...they will likely be sitting in the "front yard" watching all the construction chaos! I am hoping night time they will settle down.....maybe they will be too tied watching the commotion, and also chasing each other and playing tug of war with one another, lol!

Thank you!

Make sure they both have a nest. Mine do fine in our 26 ft airstream. They understand that under the table is Waki's spot and Cake sleeps on the bed. It took a few trips but they also understand that they are expected to stay in the screened room when outside. Watch them close for the first 2 weeks and set the expectations. It will get easier after that. Rough out a trail as best you can and walk the perimeter of your land every day with them.

Agree with Mz.M that a bigger fenced space will be a great asset for everyone. Also a screened room can really help if there are still bugs. Or even a tent. Have you thought of setting up a desk in a tent room that is big enough for 2 crates? (how about a Glamping yert?) For the mud, we use 6 of these wooden tiles on top of an outdoor "carpet" (its more like a woven tarp - check the RV stores - they have lots of options) and it keeps the mud out of the camper. https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Patio-Interlocking-Flooring-Brown-Stained/dp/B01NA0IZFG?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-osx-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01NA0IZFG

Sounds like a romantic time. Hope your weather is glorious.

• Like 3
Make sure they both have a nest. Mine do fine in our 26 ft airstream. They understand that under the table is Waki's spot and Cake sleeps on the bed. It took a few trips but they also understand that they are expected to stay in the screened room when outside. Watch them close for the first 2 weeks and set the expectations. It will get easier after that. Rough out a trail as best you can and walk the perimeter of your land every day with them.

Agree with Mz.M that a bigger fenced space will be a great asset for everyone. Also a screened room can really help if there are still bugs. Or even a tent. Have you thought of setting up a desk in a tent room that is big enough for 2 crates? (how about a Glamping yert?) For the mud, we use 6 of these wooden tiles on top of an outdoor "carpet" (its more like a woven tarp - check the RV stores - they have lots of options) and it keeps the mud out of the camper. https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Patio-Interlocking-Flooring-Brown-Stained/dp/B01NA0IZFG?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-osx-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01NA0IZFG

Sounds like a romantic time. Hope your weather is glorious.

Wow thanks for sharing! Some great ideas here...at home right now, Wyot's place is under the kitchen table...so I'm sure Kitchee will find his way to the couch, lol! I'm sure it will sort itself out, but it helps to get advice from those that have been there.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

August 2017, we moved from Grants Pass to Moses Lake, with no house to move to. We refused to be locked down in a rental lease, so lived in our 26' trailer that had no slides. Since this was going to be a temporary long term deal, after a week we decided to upgrade and bought a 42' 5th wheel toy hauler. We did that for a year. At first it was great, like camping everyday. It takes it toll, but I do believe Arya & Tennessee adjusted better than we did moving to such a smaller space. They just want to be with their people. They now have 7 fenced acres to run around on. I need to take pictures and post an update.

I think yours will do just fine. Especially if you can build a nice pen, with a bonus being on the property. We were in an RV park. So they only had the tiny grass area that came with our rv spot and needed to be on a leash 90% of the time. Am pretty proud of what Good girls they were. It did help that everyone loved them. We couldn't take them out for a walk without someone stopping us. We did give out the web address ALOT. Hoping that maybe some took interested enough to look into being a part of the AID family. Love being an ambassador for the breed.

Good luck to you and congrats to building a new home.

• Like 2

Wow Kittyndoc - what a move! Hope everyone is safe!

• Like 1

.....10 days until the move, and we still don't know where exactly we are going...too much rain has delayed building, and so much us ip in the air as to where we will be! Thank you all for your thoughts and advice.

When I moved to this house, seven years ago, I put up a temporary fence of t-bars, and wire fencing. It is still up today. It was easy, quick, and they respect the boundary, even though they could easily jump it.

It sounds very exciting. I look forward to pictures.

• Like 1

Allison, thank you for the advice! That sounds like a great idea...I am sure once we are there, the dogs will adapt- right now, we need to be out by next Friday, the 26th. It is a daunting task, and everything has slowed down for many reasons- too many to go into- but as most know, when it rains, it pours!!!

On the positive side, Kitchee has been sleeping outside of his crate, together with Wyot, and not a peep at night...his night barking was literally because he wanted out of the crate after a full night's sleep in it. He barked by habit around 4:30 am for a few days, until we yelled down to "STOP BARKING"...and that did it. Now the two of them are settled into a routine. They both know it, too. When I start shutting down the kitchen, and the lights go low, they go into "sleep" mode. Kitchee knows he goes out to pee, and then by habit, hops into his crate, waiting for the treat I used to give him. I don't do that anymore, and he slowly is adapting to find the scrap of rug that the two of them sleep on at night...Wyot is already curled up, and doesn't go out for his final potty (having done that an hour before as is HIS routine, lol!)....then Kitchee comes, and he sits on top of Wyot's head, watching me shut the rest of the lights off before I head upstairs. He is also now less reactive to every movement he hears upstairs (he used to bark and then bark incessantly when he was in the crate), and I am guessing because 1- the dogs are together, and 2- because he is more in control of the environment that his is in. Smart dogs, and boy do they teach us, if we really hone in and listen!

Lots to do before next Friday, and the dogs know something's up- Wyot is plastered to my legs in a "watchful" stance, like he is protecting me, every time I stand and cook, or wash dishes at the sink. It is a wonderful feeling. Kitchee is still ever the "what about me" monster when Wyot does this and I bend to pet him or say good boy- because Kitchee wants to be a good boy and get his loving too!! I am grateful to this community for the advice, and support. I will update as I can, but after the 26th, I don't know where or if we will be connected to the internet! Electric is only just in the planning stages at the property, and the road is still being built (rain has inhibited the ability to let trucks up to unload stone)....so. But, it is an adventure, and even at my age (two years shy of 60), I am looking forward to adventure- and hiking our beautiful mountain property every day!

Edited by KittynDoc
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It sounds fantastic. I will be happy to bring you supplies. :lol:

My first dog did not like the crate, and made a terrible racket, like you describe. As soon as I stopped trying to crate train him, he was good as gold. Never chewed on anything, never made a racket again.

My third dog loves her crate. Sometimes she sleeps in there, and sometimes she doesn't, but if there is a need for separation, she is cool with it.

My middle dog could take or leave it.

Why is this starting to sound like the story of the three bears?

• Like 1