Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Hi Group!

Have a quick question. Is there a member of our group that has a pup named Weko? It's so strange, but a friend of ours just got a dog, not an AID, and named her Weko. I don't know why I thought one of the AID "kids" had the same name!!

Thanks.

Judy K in Michigan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I renamed Shasta, a white former breeder, Nefret. Nefret means beautiful in ancient Egyptian. She is very beautiful and looks like a white Anubis.

Tayamni (Azteca X Jay 09-13-2014). Tayamni is a Lakota constellation. Some believe where the souls born come from ... Yamni is Lakota for the number three and the constellation has three parts to i

WAKA ...a Sioux word meaning, Sacred. Also spelled Wakan or Wakahn. Shes expressing her maternal instinct...very protective of my Grand Niece, Ellie.

Posted Images

Hi Group!

Have a quick question. Is there a member of our group that has a pup named Weko? It's so strange, but a friend of ours just got a dog, not an AID, and named her Weko. I don't know why I thought one of the AID "kids" had the same name!!

Thanks.

Judy K in Michigan

Don't know how anyone else feels about this but I thought I'd throw it out there and I'll go first if everyone else would like to join. I think it would be a great idea if we all listed the names of our 'kids' either the registered name and/or what we actually call the kids. I remember years ago we had entertained the idea of naming one of the dogs Koda and we could hear Kim yell all the way from Oregon -- No more Kodas -- we didn't name our dog Koda! That way none of us will use a name that's already been taken and save poor Kim a whole lot of grief with record keeping!

Let me know what you all think and I'll start it with all five of ours. Just an idea!!!!!

Judy K in Michigan

Edited by judyk
  • Like 1

I think that's a great idea. We can collate it, every so often, to make it easy to read.

I always knew I would name my first dog Coyoté. 40 years I waited to do that, and then I found there were a bunch of variations of that name, but what could I do? So for the next one I've been trying to find a good one. I like to pick something that feels good to say, but also, I'll wait to see what the dog is like.

I don't think there are many Monsters in the group, are there? Stinkys, Wigglies,...?

• Like 1
Don't know how anyone else feels about this but I thought I'd throw it out there and I'll go first if everyone else would like to join. I think it would be a great idea if we all listed the names of our 'kids' either the registered name and/or what we actually call the kids. I remember years ago we had entertained the idea of naming one of the dogs Koda and we could hear Kim yell all the way from Oregon -- No more Kodas -- we didn't name our dog Koda! That way none of us will use a name that's already been taken and save poor Kim a whole lot of grief with record keeping!

Let me know what you all think and I'll start it with all five of ours. Just an idea!!!!!

Judy K in Michigan

Hi Judy,

I like your idea. I'd contribute to a list like that.

Also... I think it's neat how pics of the pups from the new litters make their way on to the forum. I'm always curious to see what the parents looked like to make such varied colors and markings from the same litter. Would think it to be interesting to see pics of the parents to compare similarities to their offspring. This, of course, would take some cooperation from Kim & Allison. But a thread dedicated to pics of the "couples" might be a good topic as well (?).

Just a thought.

Hi Judy,

I like your idea. I'd contribute to a list like that.

Also... I think it's neat how pics of the pups from the new litters make their way on to the forum. I'm always curious to see what the parents looked like to make such varied colors and markings from the same litter. Would think it to be interesting to see pics of the parents to compare similarities to their offspring. This, of course, would take some cooperation from Kim & Allison. But a thread dedicated to pics of the "couples" might be a good topic as well (?).

Just a thought.

Super! Allison, I'll start with our five and do it here. If I should put it somewhere else tell me how to move the thread (right!)

Here goes!

Our first was WAHILYAM. We called him "Willie". The name meant 'red haired stranger' and since he was a red dog it fit him perfectly plus my husband loves Willie Nelson, the red haired friend!! He was on the Today Show with my husband and impressed the animal psychologist that did the show.

Second: TOISTA SHADOW DANCER. We call her "Shadow." She has one yellow eye and one that is half yellow and blue. Toista means yellow, Shadow because she followed Willie every where he went the day my husband picked her up and Dancer came from her mother, Sky Dancer.

Third: CHIEF JOSEPH. We called him "Joe."His name was to be YUMA which meant Son of the Chief and since my husband was a Police Chief at the time we thought that was fitting HOWEVER when we started calling him that name he would have no part of it. He looked at us "Like you think I'm answering to that name??" So one night my husband said "Hey, Joe" and here he comes. Then we had to find something to fit Joe!

Fourth: MIGIZI. We called her "Zi (zee). Word is Chippewa for White Eagle and she was the closet to a white dog that was born at the time. She had yellow eyes and was the absolute sweetest girl! (Not that Shadow isn't) She loved to play ball and frisbee and she thought everyone came to see her alone. She'd run to get her ball and would sit at your feet waiting for you to pay attention to her.

Fifth: BLEU. His name is for his eyes which are a white blue. He looks like the Orphan Annie dog - looks like his eyeballs are floating. All you see is the pupil!

So far, this is our list. We can't say there won't be other names, ya never know!

I think this list will be a great source for new owners naming pups. This way no one will name their pup a name that someone already has! Thanks for liking the idea!!

Judy K in Michigan

• Like 1

Yeah, Gavin, I was wondering how you chose Sterling"?

Judy,....beautiful names. I think you have the most AIDogs, besides Kim. At least the most that I know of. Thanks for telling us the whole story of each name. It really fires me up to think of what my next pup's name might be. I also like that you were fluid, and changed your mind to fit the dog. I was so rigid the first time, and I'd like the dog to help the second time.

My dog is Coyoté, then when I found there were too many coyotes, I added Crow Dog--Coyoté Crow Dog. He plays with the Crows that we've made friends with, and they even chase squirrels together.

• Like 1

I named my dog Cassie "Cascade Moonrise". Cascade because I love traveling in the Cascade mountains, Moonrise because of the white patch on her chest that is surrounded by mostly black (there was more of a contrast when she was a pup). I had decided on the Cascade part before I got her, and it took me a while to settle on a second part. But she just knows it as Cassie.

• Like 1

It took us a long time to settle on a name. In the end our 12 year old picked the name - Hermosa Danza (improper Spanish for Beautiful Dance). We still haven't sent in the registration papers, but they might say "Tiny Danza" instead. She goes by Danza, and it suits her.

Karen

I named my dog Cassie "Cascade Moonrise". Cascade because I love traveling in the Cascade mountains, Moonrise because of the white patch on her chest that is surrounded by mostly black (there was more of a contrast when she was a pup). I had decided on the Cascade part before I got her, and it took me a while to settle on a second part. But she just knows it as Cassie.

I never knew that....in all this time. Thanks for telling us. Cascade Moonrise....I love that. Now when I say Cassie, I will know what it means.

My dog is Coyoté, then when I found there were too many coyotes, I added Crow Dog--Coyoté Crow Dog. He plays with the Crows that we've made friends with, and they even chase squirrels together.

Don't let her fool you..

His real name is "Hogs Bed Barks at Toys Needs Bath", "Stinky" for short.

Don't let her fool you..

His real name is "Hogs Bed Barks at Toys Needs Bath", "Stinky" for short.

...laughing...

OK, that was good.

Blue Sky "Phoenix"

She had brilliant blue eyes as a small pup (see icon) -- they are yellow now. Her pop was Rogue Grey Dog, so I wanted the color reference in his honor as well. And mom was Sky Spirit. (My mom's husky is named Spirit, so that was out) "Blue Sky" also worked well with the bird reference. We chose Phoenix in honor of the "resurrection" of the breed and for the spiritual elements of fire and immortality. She is sometimes called "Princess Fifi" or "The Phee-Monster" or "My little Bo-Benix" among many, many, MANY others.

Luka's "Sterling" Silver

Well, Luka is obviously her pappa. She looks more like him every day...but without the curly tail. We saw that the whole litter was various shades of grey, so we knew that we had that to work with for certain. We decided to choose another word that was also a western states city name like "Phoenix." (Sterling, Colorado..terrible place, good name) And "Silver" was the obvious addition after that, particularly when we saw her; all frosty. She also goes by "Littles" or "Puppy-Girl" or "The-Steely-Eyed-Monster."

-Gavin

Edited by Gavin

NIKITAKI (pronounced "Nikita-key"). aka Niki...Nikita.... (sometimes "kitty"): My children chose the name Niki. Based on a cartoon they loved about a dog. I figured there would be a Nicky already in the registry, so I decided to try to make it unique. If you say Nikitaki a couple time really fast it starts to sound like "Nicky-Nicky" (another nickname)

NIKITAKI (pronounced "Nikita-key"). aka Niki...Nikita.... (sometimes "kitty"): My children chose the name Niki. Based on a cartoon they loved about a dog. I figured there would be a Nicky already in the registry, so I decided to try to make it unique. If you say Nikitaki a couple time really fast it starts to sound like "Nicky-Nicky" (another nickname)

These stories about all the names! It really is great to see how everyone picked out names for their pups. I also think it is a really good idea to post thier names and how you came about them.

I was back and fourth between two names, Kasaan(Pretty Flower) and Sikari(Sweet). I live in Connecticut so I had my pup shipped to me. So I kept in contact a lot with Kim and Alrene via phone or e-mail. During our conversations Arlene would refer to her as a "Sweet baby doll" exact words. It was perfect her name would be Sikari! It fit from the day I mer her, Arlene was right she was sweet! Still to this day is, loves all the attention she can get and ecspecially loves to cuddle! She is best known as "Kari" or "Kari Girl". She does respond to Sikari or Kari. That is my girls name, I hope we can keep this thing going!

I also would like to add that my girl is soon to be a year old! I Can't believe how fast the time has gone by. She has taught me just as much as I have taught her! If not more! Haha! I would like to say I am so glad to be a part of this family!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

For some reason we have the names before we have the dogs.

Our first Indian was called Scooby (or Scoob), named after Scooby Doo a cartoon Paul and I liked very much.

Because most off the names off dogs we know end with an Y we wanted another name end for the next one. We bought a book with 10.000 names and started to say them out loud.

After we passed Diablo we could not find one we liked, so that is how he got his name. It means devil but he really is an angel. I learned that the devil usted to be an angel so it fits an a weird way :) .

Brego comes from the books "The Lord of the Rings". I don't know if it has a meaning but I always liked it. For short we call him Breeg. In the Dutch version of this book it is a town.

For some reason we have the names before we have the dogs.

Our first Indian was called Scooby (or Scoob), named after Scooby Doo a cartoon Paul and I liked very much.

Because most off the names off dogs we know end with an Y we wanted another name end for the next one. We bought a book with 10.000 names and started to say them out loud.

After we passed Diablo we could not find one we liked, so that is how he got his name. It means devil but he really is an angel. I learned that the devil usted to be an angel so it fits an a weird way :huh: .

Brego comes from the books "The Lord of the Rings". I don't know if it has a meaning but I always liked it. For short we call him Breeg. In the Dutch version of this book it is a town.

:blink: I speld the name of my own dog wrong. It must be Brégo Because you write my name with an é (Angélique) :)

My wife and kids are the name advisors in my family. I know what I want but can never come up with just the name I’m looking for. But when I hear it, I say “that’s it”.

Sedona – Named after the beautiful mountains of Sedona, Arizona. I visited there once and coming from the Northwest, it was such a striking contrast, I loved it.

Kyoshi – My boy made up this word/name. Just walked in my room one day and says, “I want to name my dog “Kyoshi”. And when he got his AIDog, he did. He wanted it to have a Coyote sound in the name and since our family studies martial arts, he liked the Japanese sound to the name.

Talon – I was looking for a name that was more American Indian. A talon, of course is a claw of an animal, usually a bird of prey, like an eagle, a hawk or a falcon. The name seemed to fit what I was looking for and had not been used as far as I knew. And of course he is so little right now, his claws feel like sharp talons sometimes. I could go on about this name. I love the way the AIDogs run, sometimes they look they are flying and when they stalk, they look like a cat. Talon seems to fit these descriptions, both cats and eagles/hawks have them….

When we decided to get an American Indian Dog I started Looking online for an Indian name for her. I found TarevaChine (Shnay) it said that it was native american for Beautiful eyes.

With Sassy the first picture of her she looked sassy so we decided to name her Sassy Sioux

Edited by Shannon/Kevin

I am enjoying this. In fact it has helped to to think up our next names. No,...don't ask.

Tim, what kind of Martial Arts? I'm a practitioner of many years, and I still need more practice.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
I am enjoying this. In fact it has helped to to think up our next names. No,...don't ask.

Tim, what kind of Martial Arts? I'm a practitioner of many years, and I still need more practice.

I think I've already mentioned before that 'Shunka' means dog, so he's a dog called dog!

But his Posh name is Dancing Flame of Northern Skies, this is from the flame-like blaze on his head, the Dancers in his bloodlines, also he was born in Scotland which is North of here, and his mum is Skye.

• 2 weeks later...
Whats in a name!

Oh very funny. Perhaps our new owner, Rose, can tell us. ;)

Aiyana

Aiyana is a desert flower, and also an American Indian (Cherokee) name for girls, meaning "eternal bloom" or "forever flowering".

We searched for an American Indian name for our AID and liked the sound of this one very much !

Just as flowers are beautiful our Aiyana is too.

• 2 months later...

Angelique...only because I'm a real nerd and desperately trying not to name my future dog 'Feanor' who was one of the 1st elves to leave the undying lands of the Valar and move to middle earth chasing the silmarilian that morgoth stole from Valinor (( the book 'The Silmarilian' by J.R.R.Tolkien is about the history of middle earth from its creation to just before the ending of the third age when the Lord of the Rings begins - the end of tolkiens book has a dictionary w/ every conceivable character and the meaning of their name ))

You probably like the name Bre`go (I have never learned how to put that dash above a letter) b/c tolkien used dutch,english,all the icelandic/nordic names to develope and compose the entire elvish language.

As far as the meaning of the name brego.... there is a L.O.T.R.wikipaedia

Brego was the second King of Rohan.

[edit] BiographyBorn in TA 2512, Brego was the son of Eorl the Young.

In TA 2545 Eorl was slain in battle and Brego became King of Rohan. During his rule the migration of the Éothéod to Calenardhon continued, and Brego defended the borders of Rohan against their enemies (the Dunlendings and Easterlings). Brego built the Golden Hall of Meduseld, and made Edoras the capital of Rohan. Construction of The Golden Hall was completed in TA 2569.

Brego had three sons:

Baldor, his eldest son and heir who swore an oath at completion and dedication feast of the Golden Hall to successfully traverse the Paths of the Dead. Baldor consumed by his honor and pride refused to break his vow to take the Dimholt road and went into the Paths of the Dead never to be seen again.

Aldor, his second son who succeeded Brego and became the third King of Rohan

Éofor his youngest son was a distant ancestor of Éomund of East-fold father of King Éomer.

King Brego's grief over the loss of Baldor consumed him and left him a broken man. Brego lost the will to live and died the next year in TA 2570 at the age of fifty-eight. Brego was succeeded by his son Aldor.

On another note LOVE this thread...I have several names picked out already. One name in particular I love b/c it is one of my real life hero's names ( He's chinese and he was one of the founding fathers to the underground church movement in china when communism took over and cast all believers out of its borders ) His name I wanted to split between two animals so when I said the 1st and last name I would call both dogs.

I am also torn between the coolness of giving a dog just a basic persons name like when I was a kid I found a husky and kept him a while and named him "mike" . So in honour of my grandparents I was thinking of 'Martin' (or 'marty' for short) and 'Millie' if I was to get a boy and a girl one day.

• 2 weeks later...