Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Chasing Cars....while Inside The Car??

This is something that Wyot started a few days ago. He has traveled with us everywhere in the car, and never noticed anything outside except when we were stopped, and then he would just stare at people and activity...but then, we were driving, and all of a sudden, I hear a dull thud....I look back, and I see him tracking cars as they are coming down the road on the opposite side, and trying to chase them, only to slam into the headrest!!!!!!!!!! I thought he was hurt, but NOOOOOOO!! He kept doing it, but now, he was mindful of the headrest, and tried to slip in between the headrest and the window, obviously without any success, but OMG, I just died laughing!! No more trying to climb into the front on my lap (which I didn't allow, as he has gotten too big, and is a distraction to the driver).

He now stands at attention in the middle of the back seat, staring out at the road in front, just WAITING for the next car to drive by! His tail wags like crazy, and it is just as if he has exercised outside...he's pooped after a trip of doing this, LOL! :o

• Like 4

My first AIDog used to do this. Not so good in the back of a truck. After I caught him half way out of his halter, almost scraping the road, I rigged up a three point harness to keep him safe.

Coyoté kept himself very entertained, but my husband did not like this behavior. So when he was riding with us (he usually rides a motorcycle), I had to try and stop it. You could feel the sway in the truck as the dog lunged, but Coyoté was so clever, he would jump silently, then lay down very fast so my husband could not be sure that he had actually jumped. It was hard to keep from laughing. Coyo and I knew the truth. It was our secret.

If you're reading this, sorry honey.

It was the staring out the front, choosing just the right truck to chase, that was the most fun. He had a huge grin.

It wasn't my first choice; I sure didn't want anything to happen to him, but I was okay with it as long as he didn't bark, and I kept a really close watch on his harness for wear.

• Like 5

OMG, that must have been SO scary!!!! So glad all turned out ok in the end. WHEW!!

Thank goodness Wyot is inside, and can't really go anywhere, and the headrest is soft...now, it's a game for him, and he loves to go for rides, and be on the lookout for cars...he couldn't understand the further distance on a two lane highway as opposed to a two lane road that we usually go on, making the "prey" closer to him...AI doggy challenges!! :P

• Like 1

I think they see the car disappearing behind, as though they are running away in fear. :lol:

• Like 3

Nakoma didn't realize that when we stop at a red light, other cars (and motorcycles) will also stop behind us, ,,, until one day, while stopped, he glanced towards the back and saw a motorcycle behind us... and he barked and barked at the guy... as if he was an intruder in our space. I was cracking up. Now he understands and just looks everywhere, instead of only just front and sides. :-)

• Like 3

No barking in the car! That's my motto. Yes I have to remind them when I first start hearing the bark begin to come out. ha ha..."No barking" I tell them in a very low voice. The voice I want them to use....on the quiet side. it's a game to see if I can catch them before they let it lose. SO I try to keep the potential bark at a very low muffled grunt and or growl. ha ha That being said, when I leave them in the car to go on a quick errand, it's a different story. I can hear them vocally in the parking lot. Two Step and Rain will begin to sing and howl. They want to yell their opinions. Tolinka refuses to get into the car.???? Not sure why.

As far as dancing around inside the car....it's very distracting to me. Rain and Two Step love to go for car rides and know they must sit quietly while I'm driving. As a pup, Rain, as fast as lightening, jumped over me and out the driver side window after Seagulls at the wharf. Fortunately, we were driving very slowly. There is nothing like seeing some old woman leaving her car running in the middle of the lane, running down the wharf, yelling "Stop the pup." :o Now she knows that if she doesn't behave, I will simply turn around and take her home. She just hates that! ......been there and done that.

• Like 3

No barking in the car! That's my motto. Yes I have to remind them when I first start hearing the bark begin to come out. ha ha..."No barking" I tell them in a very low voice. The voice I want them to use....on the quiet side. it's a game to see if I can catch them before they let it lose. SO I try to keep the potential bark at a very low muffled grunt and or growl. ha ha That being said, when I leave them in the car to go on a quick errand, it's a different story. I can hear them vocally in the parking lot. Two Step and Rain will begin to sing and howl. They want to yell their opinions. Tolinka refuses to get into the car.???? Not sure why.

As far as dancing around inside the car....it's very distracting to me. Rain and Two Step love to go for car rides and know they must sit quietly while I'm driving. As a pup, Rain, as fast as lightening, jumped over me and out the driver side window after Seagulls at the wharf. Fortunately, we were driving very slowly. There is nothing like seeing some old woman leaving her car running in the middle of the lane, running down the wharf, yelling "Stop the pup." :o Now she knows that if she doesn't behave, I will simply turn around and take her home. She just hates that! ......been there and done that.

Oh, my!!!! I can just picture your scenariol!! Our dogs sure are different, aren't they!? To keep me safe when I drive, I have to safely tie Wyot's leash to the back headrest (harness on), making sure he has enough lead side to side, but not enough to reach me in the front. Thank goodness he doesn't bark, just wags his tail furiously, and lets out a little tiny "rroooorr" that is like a dog whisper. As soon as I stop anywhere, or if I go into a store, I tell him to watch the car, and that I'll be back...he stands proudly (and I untie his leash). He settles nicely, and never barks at others (that I've seen- I go to small stores that I can still see the car). He usually curls up and sleeps- found his head hanging off the seat, while the rest of him was stretched out, with one paw up on the backrest- hahahahaha!!

• Like 1

Oh no... Miz Molly, that is scary. The first (and last) time I rolled down my window, Nakoma stuck his head so far out that I just knew that he would jump, if not then, then another time for sure. So, since then, I've been using the only crash tested harness for dogs (sleepy pod sport utility). (At least, it was the only crash tested one when I bought it; not sure if others have come out since). It keeps him still, and we can all enjoy the open windows.

• Like 3

Oh no... Miz Molly, that is scary. The first (and last) time I rolled down my window, Nakoma stuck his head so far out that I just knew that he would jump, if not then, then another time for sure. So, since then, I've been using the only crash tested harness for dogs (sleepy pod sport utility). (At least, it was the only crash tested one when I bought it; not sure if others have come out since). It keeps him still, and we can all enjoy the open windows.

Whew!!! We had that happen too, when the window went down a little too far, Wyot looked like he was gonna jump! Once in his harness, he doesn't move that much. Still has the anticipatory look, sitting erect looking ahead with excitement at all the cars. He has toned down, but still chasing.... I am getting him a new harness [edited by admin], that will be much better and these seat belt attachments [edited by admin]-then I can tether him directly with his own seat belt attachment ( got the two pack, so I can put one in each car and leave it in.

Edited by Allison

Hmmm...how to edit a post I've written earlier?