Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Puppy Hates Corrections And Lets Me Know It

So I've had this little girl a couple of weeks now and I have been working with her and observing her in various situations to try to understand her personality. When she is doing something such as eating the fringe of my rugs and I correct her, first she tries to do it with more gusto and faster because she knows its going to come to an end, ,(if I'm at her level she'll bite the air while jumping at me or she'll try for my feet or hands. she does the same thing in play with other dogs. Or she'll run around like crazy barking and try to go back to what she wants or come in to get my feet/legs. I get that I need to stand firm because she's testing me but not always sure the best way to handle it. I have tried various methods suggested by Cesar Milan, my vet, a trainer. And pinching her neck does nothing. I do have to add that I've made some ground but I could use some advice. It's like she is having a temper tantrum because she's not getting her way. I'd also like to note that she is the smartest dog I thinkI've ever met. My biggest worry is the snapping and I have taken her by the scruff of the neck, I have held her head and cheeks and looked her in the eyes and told her no to get my point across and I have given her time outs in her crate and various other things. I have never left it hanging, i.e. I have always brought it to and ending where I am the "winner" but I'm concerned about the behavior.

Most of the time she's a good sweet little girl, she just HATES to be told "no".

I have a word that I have used to keep her from charging the gate when it opens and I did that with just the word and body language,(standing between her and the gate making myself "big) she responded beautifully, got it right away and laid down submissively and she doesn't storm the gate if I use that word. I have brought that word into these situations and it gets her attention, the stops momentarily and then has her tantrum.

• Like 3

Claire check out this tread from another problem child (who turned out quite well as reported by the owners later) and see if anything in here seems spot on. http://www.iidoba.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3030&page=2&hl=%2Bsquirt+%2Bbottle&do=findComment&comment=32313

zuni was getting a little crazy with biting a couple of weeks back would not listen , i tried barking growling pinching everything i read here but what worked for him was a time out pen. i just calmly pick him up stick him in...dont talk to him ...and walk away usually only for a minute or two..past when he calms down I only had to use it 3 times so far and we seem to be over that hump...now to get him to stop yapping at the cat.....hmmm i may try the spray bottle... There is lots of good info on timeouts online if you decide to try it. Buena suerte!

• Like 1

Terrible teens.... Stick to your guns. Time away from what is going on with the rest of us was the very worst punishment for my dogs. They would be good for a week after that. Maybe 3 or 4 times I had to put Coyo in a room and close the door for 10-20 minutes. Sitka was maybe twice. That was all. To be left out,... they really hate that and adjust behavior to make sure it doesn't happen again.

• Like 3

The link Sherab has directed you to is a good starting point to build a bag of trick to use as you and your little one get to know each other. The spray bottle is good for some, but I have a dog who likes being sprayed, it is like a game. On the other hand, all three of my dogs react to the penny bottle when I want to get their attention and redirect them. It startles them which is necessary to redirect them from what they are obsessing over at the time. I use it for barking, spats with each other, chewing, etc.

As far as "time outs" go, when Anoki was a year old, he really stepped over the line which resulted in a four day "time out" where I intentionally would not acknowledge him. I would feed him but I would not pet, play or say anything to him. I would play with the other two dogs but turn away from Anoki. By the third day he was doing everything he could to get my attention. Obviously, four days is a long time for a three month old pup, but the time out can be effective.

Edited by Greg
  • Like 2

Greg great point - there is no one solution fits all with these dogs. You need a bag of tricks and also intuition. Something that won't work for my dog and might even sound slightly nuts might be just what your dog needs. We just went through a little phase where Waki wouldn't go potty in his usual spot in the woods. He'd hang back and act afraid. Some other animal had been marking so I got a spray bottle of pee b gone that I was using for Shiva's occasional end of life leaks and went out in the woods and marked the trees over where what ever it was had been leaving it's poo and pee. Waki watched, came off the driveway and marked with me. All happy I had neutralized the offender.

• Like 2

Kaposia's most persistent (and unsafe) behavior is still wanting to chew on rocks. So now if we are in the yard and she tires of frisbee and ball, she'll go find a small rock, lay down, and begin to chew and roll it around in her mouth. At first I was chasing her around trying to get her to drop it and take it away (pointless, I know, as she's always going to be faster than her human.) But then I tried playing on the fact that she hates to be ignored and left out. "No! No rocks! Tssscht-eh! BAD for you! If you're going to chew rocks, Grammy's going in the house!" That worked for about 6 times, she'd drop the rock and come dashing to the door to come in with me. THEN....time number 7 she brought the rock into the house with her and tried to hide under the dining room table with it🙄

Isolation and ignoring have worked best on her, but the little bugger is smart and it can be hard to stay one step ahead of her game.

Edited by LakeGirl
  • Like 1

If she is not actually swallowing the rock, is it a problem?

Remember a previous post with a photo of a rock and a quarter for size reference? Yep, she swallowed one and vomited it up at 4:00 A.M. once before. Not only scary, but @ $250.00 for a vet visit and x-ray to check for more rocks, we can't afford this little habit. It's creepy to watch her because she tips her head way back and rolls the rock way back in her throat.

Oh, I see. That is a problem.

Those rocks are tasty. I want one now.

• Like 1

We had that problem with Waki. It's both a risk for bowl obstruction (they have to open the belly to take it out) and for cracked teeth. Keep at it. Don't be afraid to correct hard on this one. Its up there with chewing on the electrical. Also add more calcium and minerals to her diet. Sometimes the craving is due to a deficiency. Waki was very sick with parvo as a pup so we had some issues. Kelp, sea salt, raw chicken wings, beef - give her a lot of variety. Even if a pup hasn't had an intestinal issue they do so much growing they can get out of balance.

• Like 4

Also add more calcium and minerals to her diet. Sometimes the craving is due to a deficiency.

Marrow bones were popular with our dogs. Make sure they can't fit their noses through them.

• Like 3

yeah i use marrow bones all day long even mix up stuff and refill them and freeze them --its a bit cheaper than brand new and i think the cold is nice for teething gums!!

• Like 2

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions! I did wonder if there might be a mineral deficiency. We still give her home made bone broths 5-6 days a week, and she always has a large elk antler to chew ( goes through those amazingly fast!) When I've watched her with a rock in her mouth I've wondered whether wild canids ever choke to death or become blocked up and die from mouthing/eating rocks?

Tayamni used to chew rocks as a puppy (the tocks were actually old sea bed shells and limestone). Unfortunately the Vet told us it is full of bacteria - probably causing her gastro issues and sensitive stomach. I added probiotics, kefir treats and then found the himilayan yak milk "bones" to be effective. Some times she picks up a 'rock' in the back yard but not very often!

• Like 1

Hey, Claire, it will pass. They go through these phases. Keep doing what you are doing and try everything you can think of. My first dog went through a phase that to be quite honest scared me a bit. I had to pull myself up by the boot straps and not be afraid of his teeth, or his noises. One time I just yelled and screamed and stomped my feet. Boy, did he take notice. It didn't last long, perhaps a season. After that phase, he never challenged me again, not ever. It took us longer to bond, maybe, but then we were tight. Really tight. I hope that will be your experience, too.

When you lose perspective come and rant to us. We are always happy to listen. :D

• Like 5

I second that. I had my hands in Waki's several times a day for probably his first 6 months. Then he was terrible about running off and not coming back (usually to hunt) today he is off lead and Mr. Responsible. He's a completely different, mature little man.

• Like 4

Thank goodness for Kim recommending the books by the Monks of New Skeet. These A.I. Dogs are very intelligent, assertive dogs, (I call Kaposia my "bossy" dog.) You can not be afraid to consistently, firmly and humanely correct these dogs...they need it. For serious infractions, the "shake down" worked wonders, and only needed to be applied once or twice before she got the message. The only time she snapped at us was when we discontinued the crate and allowed her to sleep in our bedroom. She tried to dominate the bed by barking, snapping and nipping our hands, and biting and tearing at the bedding. We applied the Monks tethering technique for 6 weeks. She had to know that WE owned the bed. She now sleeps by our feet like a kitten, a very large, 32 pound kitten. The adolescent "teen rebellion, testing limits" phase is a real phenomenon, but handled correctly, it passes, and as Allison mentioned, you and your dog become ever tighter. As another owner mentioned somewhere, the relationship becomes more of a partnership than a master/ dog situation.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Glad I found this thread! Little Wyot just turned 8 weeks today....WOW has he now gotten comfortable with his new home now that we've had him for a week. The little bugger is a tasmanian devil, usually does this at what I have come to call his "crazy dog hour", when he wants to run, jump, chew, and generally wreak havoc (he is playing, of course). He has enough toys- a thick rope, a deer antler with a natural leather lace tied to it, nice and thickly knotted, a bullyhorn (he loves it when he decides to chew and push and chase it), a ball, and of course, his pig's ear. BUT, the broom, boots, shoes, my shirt, hair, feet (ankles especially) is what he decides is best, and he is wild..I am calm, and try to redirect while playing, but he becomes a little too crazy. Finger down the throat, gags, and doesn't like it, but he's back...NO with loud claps usually makes him stop, look at me sorrowfully...and then...HE'S BACK, lol!!

I have gotten up, ignored him, and that usually works, but for a short period of time. Now that I have gated off the living room and a side bedroom off the mudroom, I can walk in there and ignore him, letting him whine. I'll try this more now and see what happens. I just tried the water bottle a half hour ago, and of course, my aim, which is usually not so good, went right into his mouth!!! He was puzzled, and licked it, kind of liking it. Second squirt, with an emphatic NO, went on his nose, which made him try to shake it off, and settle down (we'll see how long this lasts...) My husband bought a small bull horn (not too loud, but enough to get his attention), and that stops him for a moment, but he goes right back...SMART little buggers!!

I will keep walking into the other room and ignoring if he does something unacceptable, and see how that works...otherwise, I will try the penny jar shaking next..

What an education on both sides! Amazing, though. He sleeps through the night 8-10 hours (!!!!) without a peep or a whine. I put him in his crate (which is his little one he came in, and now that I placed inside the bigger crate, to prepare him for the eventual transition. I swear the little bugger's legs got longer this week. :)

This is by far the best dog I've EVER had, and I love cuddling with him, too, and he loves it as well. Thanks for all the tips, and I too will look into those books mentioned.

Claire, wondering how your little girl is now? Hopefully you found what works, and I'm sure you are loving every minute of owning an AI pup, because all the work is definitely worth it. :wub:

• Like 2

Crazy dog hour you say?

Ah, zoomies. Yes, I remember zoomies...

Zoomies happen all the time and for the most random of reasons which are known only to them because, after all, they're zoomies.

We've seen full on zoomage that lasted a full 45+ minutes and we've seen miniature zooms that lasted mere seconds.

The best zoomies are the ones that fly. Airborne zoomies are a sight to behold. Squint doesn't achieve near as much lift as she had in her youth but she can still work up some good velocity and, as her brother Waki would attest, she is equipped with the inherited gift of vas interitus in asino which, in Latin, means weapon of a$$ destruction which in itself is a spectacle the likes of which hasn't been seen since the glory days of Napoleon I'm sure.

I'm not sure though if the lineage that produced this unique trait is from the Yukon with Lili's father Newkim but it's definitely familial in nature since the siblings do share this funny sort of defensive posturing thing.

The aftermath of an onset of Zoomatola is entertaining as well:

lilinap-2.jpg

Kekona is still very much a zoomer although at two years old now she's beginning to slow her zoomosity a bit. She'll randomly turn on and roam the house seeking adventure but typically though this happens out in the yard or at the park. She's a bit sporadic in length but makes up for it in passion and intensity. Sometimes the Squint will engage in the zoom and other times she won't. It's hard to tell whether it's annoyance or just a plain lack of interest from her when Blondie fires up.

Enjoy the zoomala, it's a unique dance that I'm not sure exists in other breeds. It appears that they diminish with age but they don't truly ever go fully away.

Here's a moment of peace at the office which makes no sense whatsoever considering the topic of this post. Accidentally uploaded it under 8mm simulation so it's a little weird looking.

Edited by Chinatola
  • Like 4

We call it bowling for Dolly.

Love it!

Crazy dog hour you say?

Ah, zoomies. Yes, I remember zoomies...

Zoomies happen all the time and for the most random of reasons which are known only to them because, after all, they're zoomies.

We've seen full on zoomage that lasted a full 45+ minutes and we've seen miniature zooms that lasted mere seconds.

The best zoomies are the ones that fly. Airborne zoomies are a sight to behold. Squint doesn't achieve near as much lift as she had in her youth but she can still work up some good velocity and, as her brother Waki would attest, she is equipped with the inherited gift of vas interitus in asino which, in Latin, means weapon of a$$ destruction which in itself is a spectacle the likes of which hasn't been seen since the glory days of Napoleon I'm sure.

I'm not sure though if the lineage that produced this unique trait is from the Yukon with Lili's father Newkim but it's definitely familial in nature since the siblings do share this funny sort of defensive posturing thing.

The aftermath of an onset of Zoomatola is entertaining as well:

http://www.iidoba.org/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.giflilinap-2.jpg

Kekona is still very much a zoomer although at two years old now she's beginning to slow her zoomosity a bit. She'll randomly turn on and roam the house seeking adventure but typically though this happens out in the yard or at the park. She's a bit sporadic in length but makes up for it in passion and intensity. Sometimes the Squint will engage in the zoom and other times she won't. It's hard to tell whether it's annoyance or just a plain lack of interest from her when Blondie fires up.

Enjoy the zoomala, it's a unique dance that I'm not sure exists in other breeds. It appears that they diminish with age but they don't truly ever go fully away.

Here's a moment of peace at the office which makes no sense whatsoever considering the topic of this post. Accidentally uploaded it under 8mm simulation so it's a little weird looking.

Zoomies!!! Yes, that's exactly what it's like...many more adventures and laughs to look forward to...He cracks me up when he does it, and yes, he LEAPS and seems to fly sometimes,lol!!! Unique amazing dogs.... :lol:

• Like 5