Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Hi all,

My brother is planing on adopting one of Kims retired breeders next week (Jay Silverheels or Fawn). I just wanted to ask if anyone out there has any experience, advice or comments etc about adopting a retired breeder.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

David

• Like 2

Waki is 6 so that means I've been on the Forum for about 8 years and in all that time I only recall 1 issue with not being use to being in a house and 1 issue with forgetting to get the spay done (apparently female heat is messy) and 1 issue with stomach? I forget but she worked it out through diet. A quick search on "retired" key word brings up a lot of posts that are very short. I think this bodes well - as in the transition isn't bad because folks aren't looking for advice. Your brother's new dog will need to adjust to your brother's routine. Perhaps city living vs country, in doors vs out, new food, new rhythm of life. I'd say talk to the dog a lot. They are very smart and learn words so Going to work be back at supper will eventually mean just that. Potty training for the house - treat it just as you would a pup for a while.

Does your other have other dogs? IF yes then there's the adjustment of the pack. Some dogs take to each other right away, others need some time and supervision. Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes.

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 3

Ah here it is. Catch had some stomach issues. http://www.iidoba.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3103&hl=heat Stress can make the tummy upset and there will be some transition stress. The move, if it's to a climate that's very different will require some adjustment too. I forget now what she did but I know she worked the stomach thing out. Ok here's the ending. She did quite a bit of detective work http://www.iidoba.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3237&hl=catch

Edited by Sherab

Thanks Sherab.

Great advice on talking to the dog a lot and using key words. My 2 AIDogs certainly understand a lot, and communication is such a rewarding part of our relationship. My brother does not have any other dogs, but he does have 2 younger daughters. Kim says that Jay Silverheels has been around kids a lot, and I imagine that Fawn would do fine too. He is also driving one of them from Oregon to their new home in Dallas, TX. While a different climate, it shouldn’t be much of a change until next summer.

Will keep you updated...

Thx again

• Like 4

Awww...Wyot's daddy will be in a happy new home! Hope the transition goes well. Our dogs definitely learn words well! I say go to the door or we are going inside...and he knows exactly which place to go to to come back in after a walk or a run outside! So smart...

What? Jay could have a home in Dallas? Tayamni could visit her Dad? What good things are coming in 2018!!!!!!!

• Like 1

What? Jay could have a home in Dallas? Tayamni could visit her Dad? What good things are coming in 2018!!!!!!!

Wow, Denise, Wyot and Tayamni are half siblings!!!! :)

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update for those that are curious...

Jay SilverHeels is indeed at his new forever home in Dallas, TX. He’s being treated for heart worm, ring worm and bronchitis (I believe), but other then that he seems to be doing great. He had a great road trip from SDK including a chance to see the Grand Canyon. He now lives with my brother and his 2 girls who all love him to death. He is of course adjusting to his new life - a few potty accidents and the discover of ooooh the kitchen trash can - yummy! But he’s smart, sweet and by all accounts near perfect.

Thanks again to all for the advice.

Cheers,

David

• Like 7

We have 2 of Jay's pups and live just North of Dallas. We would love to invite your brother and his family to bring Jay over. I'm betting he would love some AID play time! Could you message me his contact information if he's interested.

• Like 3

Awww.....the adventures of Jay Silver Heels!! I'm sure with the love of his new family, he will be recovering fast...cheers to Wyot's daddy!!

Heartworm is life threatening. It is extremely expensive to treat, very taxing for the dog's body, and requires a good many weeks of inactivity (imagine how fun it is to crate rest an AIdog for weeks on end) to prevent complications/sudden death as pieces of dead worm passing through can block blood vessels when blood accelerates.

It's also spread very quickly from one animal to the next... any mosquito that feeds on an infected animal (Jay) and then bites another animal nearby (any other dog or puppy at SDK) can easily transmit HW...hence the concern(!)

• Like 4

Heartworm is life threatening. It is extremely expensive to treat, very taxing for the dog's body, and requires a good many weeks of inactivity (imagine how fun it is to crate rest an AIdog for weeks on end) to prevent complications/sudden death as pieces of dead worm passing through can block blood vessels when blood accelerates.

It's also spread very quickly from one animal to the next... any mosquito that feeds on an infected animal (Jay) and then bites another animal nearby (any other dog or puppy at SDK) can easily transmit HW...hence the concern(!)

That is very true. However, Jay was seen by two different veterinarians here when he was diagnosed last July and he has been on medication since that time. The treatment for Jay was what was recommended by both vets. That is why it is important to have all puppies checked by a veterinarian and follow immunization requirements for the area they reside in.

According to Veterinarians and the American Heartworm Society, puppies under 7 months of age can be started on heartworm prevention without a heartworm test (it takes at least 6 months for a dog to test positive after it has been infected), but should be tested 6 months after your initial visit, tested again 6 months later and yearly after that to ensure they are heartworm-free.

• Like 8

And just in case there are any questions, the new owner of Jay was aware of the heartworm diagnosis and that he was on preventative medication before he agreed to adopt him. I think this says a lot about the new owner who was willing to adopt Jay even knowing Jay's condition.

• Like 8

Thank you for that information, Greg! I agree - kudos to his new owner for adopting him despite the diagnosis. I hope his recovery continues to go smoothly, and so glad he found such a great home!

• Like 5

We had a flood in mid Michigan last year and a HUGE mosquito outbreak lasting all summer. Even though we keep our pups on heart worm treatment year round (yes I see them in my pole barn after any winter thaw) I've always wondered if being late on a dose could open them up to vulnerability.

• Like 1

Yes, Jay is recovering well from all that I've heard and seen. We got to video chat (haha) with him a bit yesterday before he was going out for a walk. He was much more interested in the two adorable girls giving him lots of love then the weird people on the phone ;))

Thanks Greg for mentioning that by the way. My brother, Rick, fell in love with Jay the first moment they met (even knowing his medical condition). Kim and my brother felt that they were meant to be together right away.

Also, Greg, could you check your email for a request from my brother to join the forums? Thanks much.

Drichard, hopefully Rick will be on here soon, and you can contact each other.

I'll also let Rick post more pictures for those interested, but for now here's a pic of Rick and Jay at the Grand Canyon.

IMG_2191.jpg

• Like 8

Having met Jay this last summer, it's really sweet to see him on happy adventures out in the world!

Berta

• Like 2

Jay looks REALLY good there!!!!! It must have been meant for Rik & Jay.

Trekker, glad your brother is taking on helping Jay heal!

• Like 1

I don't know how I missed the picture! How happy they both look, and Jay looks perfectly at home. So good to see!