Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Tahltan X Aidog

In Kim's continuing effort to save the remnants of the Tahltan Lines by

bringing them into those of our American Indian Dogs, (last time he

worked with these same, but purer bloodlines were back in the 70's) he has

arranged a breeding between our male dog Sitka, and the Lovely female

Ursula-- part Tahltan lines.

Ursula belongs to Andrea Wilhelm, and Peter Lake, from Haida Gwaii, and they have both joined our forum.

If you have read Kim's articles, The Complete "Tail" of the Tahltan Bear Dog, and

The Tahltan Letters, you will have learned that the, part blood Tahltan Bear Dog lines remaining are too related to save as an individual TBD type, without even more dangerous inbreeding. The best chance of saving these lines is as he has done with other First Nation's dogs on the edge of extiction, and that is to keep them alive within our own American Indian Dog lines ("also, fondly called "First Nations Dogs" in

honor of the Canadian Tahltans and all Nations of the 'new worlds' dogs").

Andrea and Peter are as excited and willing to help, as I am, and they

have been totally wonderful to work with.

Their dog Ursula (of Latin origin, meaning "little female bear") was a

delight, while here breeding with Sitka, and an excellent example of

the personality that we are all so fond of in the AI dogs, and that the Tahltan Bear Dogs are famous for, as well. She was so playful, and got the dogs running, and jumping, and chasing. She stuck pretty close to me, and picked up our routines, very quickly. She was very protective, and would not let visitors pass, until I gave her the okay. All our friends and neighbors loved her.

Kim chose Sitka for us, because he exhibits many of the AI dog and Tahltan

qualities.

" I chose you because you are close to

Canada, and I trust that you will follow all the IIDOBA /AI dog breed club

rules and the code of ethics, that is so important in saving any domestic or

wild animal breed .

Sitka and Ursula took to each other immediately, and were inseparable during

Ursula's 2+ week stay with us.

I am very proud to be part of this historic breeding, and honored to be

working with Kim.

We will keep you informed how things are going with Ursula.

Also some additional exciting news about a 5 month old male part blood TBD named

Newkim owned by Dawn Charlie of Yukon Canada, who has graciously donated

one of the last of the best male part bloods left to the AI dog breeding

program. More news coming on that as William Walkup (proud owner of

retired Kachina) will be helping to deliver Newkim down to Kim.

More to come on the "continued "Tahltan Letters".

I'll post some pictures soon.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No action yet, except for Ursula playing 'beached whale'.

trying that again.

I was talking about that, yesterday, with a friend who was kind enough to let me gush and yammer on about the pups.   And I noticed the pure instinct, too, during the mating. I wondered how much w

Posted Images

Also some additional exciting news about a 5 month old male part blood TBD named

How exciting! Ask him to get some photos of Little Dawn, so we can see how she is growing up.

Yes- as Karen says- How exciting!

Congrats 'Gramma Allison' ;)

And I look forward to seeing the newest members of our little family.

Wow.

I am sure looking forward to reading as much as you can write about it!!

Very Cool.

I am thrilled. Simply thrilled. And yes, this is the closest thing to a gramma, I will be, so I am enjoying it immensely.

Andrea and Peter, are the same. Lovely people, that are glad to be "part of Kim's work".

Now you know why I was a little absent recently.

Hope she's pregnant. The waiting is killing me. Now I know how Sitka feels when I ask him to "stay".

Hope she's pregnant. The waiting is killing me. Now I know how Sitka feels when I ask him to "stay".

ROFLMAOwTRDMF!!!

Congrates Allison :lol:

In Kim's continuing effort to save the remnants of the Tahltan Lines by

bringing them into those of our American Indian Dogs, (last time he

worked with these same, but purer bloodlines were back in the 70's) he has

arranged a breeding between our male dog Sitka, and the Lovely female

Ursula-- part Tahltan lines.

Ursula belongs to Andrea Wilhelm, and Peter Lake, from Haida Gwaii, and they have both joined our forum.

If you have read Kim's articles, The Complete "Tail" of the Tahltan Bear Dog, and

The Tahltan Letters, you will have learned that the, part blood Tahltan Bear Dog lines remaining are too related to save as an individual TBD type, without even more dangerous inbreeding. The best chance of saving these lines is as he has done with other First Nation's dogs on the edge of extiction, and that is to keep them alive within our own American Indian Dog lines ("also, fondly called "First Nations Dogs" in

honor of the Canadian Tahltans and all Nations of the 'new worlds' dogs").

Andrea and Peter are as excited and willing to help, as I am, and they

have been totally wonderful to work with.

Their dog Ursula (of Latin origin, meaning "little female bear") was a

delight, while here breeding with Sitka, and an excellent example of

the personality that we are all so fond of in the AI dogs, and that the Tahltan Bear Dogs are famous for, as well. She was so playful, and got the dogs running, and jumping, and chasing. She stuck pretty close to me, and picked up our routines, very quickly. She was very protective, and would not let visitors pass, until I gave her the okay. All our friends and neighbors loved her.

Kim chose Sitka for us, because he exhibits many of the AI dog and Tahltan

qualities.

Sitka and Ursula took to each other immediately, and were inseparable during

Ursula's 2+ week stay with us.

I am very proud to be part of this historic breeding, and honored to be

working with Kim.

We will keep you informed how things are going with Ursula.

Thanks so much. It was an amazing experience. The little guy was such a sweet lover. He would curl his skinny body around and rest his chin on their tails, and give out the calming vibes, when they had to wait to separate.

It was a roller coaster between anthropomorphizing, and realizing how instinctual the whole business was.

Heard today, that they think she is pregnant.

Thanks so much. It was an amazing experience. The little guy was such a sweet lover. He would curl his skinny body around and rest his chin on their tails, and give out the calming vibes, when they had to wait to separate.

It was a roller coaster between anthropomorphizing, and realizing how instinctual the whole business was.

Heard today, that they think she is pregnant.

Wow, this is so exciting. Can't wait to see those little ones when they are born. What a great feeling to know you are part of this whole process of Kim's work. Congratulations Allison. You are one lucky woman.

Ursula has gotten all quiet and 'nesty', a new thing for her. She was always the awake, active, playful one! Now she is refusing to wrestle with our other dog, Oliver. She just wants to cuddle and nap. I remember that feeling from when I was carrying our daughter, I could have slept for nine months solid. When I go back to work in a couple weeks, I am going to sneak home one of our ultrasound dopplers and see if I can find puppy heartbeats. :)

Andrea

Oh this is So awesomely Kewl!

I feel honored to be a part of all this. (however peripherally LOL)

To get to hear updates and changes as the Pup-nancy progresses... Wheee!!

Congrats again to all :)

Oh! very exciting! I'm gushing.. Can't help it. So excited.

that is so cool awsome keep us updated

Ursula has gotten all quiet and 'nesty', a new thing for her. She was always the awake, active, playful one! Now she is refusing to wrestle with our other dog, Oliver. She just wants to cuddle and nap. I remember that feeling from when I was carrying our daughter, I could have slept for nine months solid. When I go back to work in a couple weeks, I am going to sneak home one of our ultrasound dopplers and see if I can find puppy heartbeats. :wub:

Andrea

So fun that you might sneak home to use the ultrasound on Ursula. How cool is that?

I wish you all could have seen little Clara with the dogs. She was totally imperturbable. It was quite amazing.

Ursula has gotten all quiet and 'nesty', a new thing for her. She was always the awake, active, playful one! Now she is refusing to wrestle with our other dog, Oliver. She just wants to cuddle and nap. I remember that feeling from when I was carrying our daughter, I could have slept for nine months solid. When I go back to work in a couple weeks, I am going to sneak home one of our ultrasound dopplers and see if I can find puppy heartbeats. :wub:

Andrea

Oh, please keep us informed about this...can you post the picture of pups in utero? How cool would that be?

Oh, please keep us informed about this...can you post the picture of pups in utero? How cool would that be?

To get a picture, we'd have to sneak Ursula into the hospital to use the ultrasound machine. Not impossible, but definitely breaking The Rules (though we've done it before to do an x-ray on a dog with a sore leg, and some blood scans on a dog with possible leukemia).

An ultrasound doppler is a little handheld machine that just lets you hear baby heartbeats. I read an article this weekend on how to use it to get a puppy count (not guaranteed accuracy, but usually pretty close). Supposedly can use it from 5 weeks on, so might try it in a couple weeks. :D

Ursula is getting lots of good food and massages these days. She is looking pretty languid, still likes to run but doesn't want to rough-house. She is looking shiny and beautiful and Carol says she has a 'pregnant glow'. :lol:

Well, don't break any rules for us. Save all your special favors for any "just in case" problem.

But let us know what you see or hear.

• 3 weeks later...

the doppler ultrasound didn't work out, guess it looks for the heart beat about 10 cms below the surface which works for human babies but not dog babies. Oh well.

We can feel puppies moving in her belly though!! So cool.

About one more week to go by my calculations, (maybe 2).

Yikes! I'm very excited. Going to be hard to sleep those last few days.

Very excited!!!!

Give her a pet from me, and a kiss from Sitka.

It's going to be a long couple of weeks sitting on the edge of my chair.....Any chance of taking birthing pictures??????

It's going to be a long couple of weeks sitting on the edge of my chair.....Any chance of taking birthing pictures??????

For sure! I really really really hope it does not all happen while I am at work. I have experienced dog people to look in on her and be there if she goes into labour and I'm stuck at work, but I really want to be there! Hoping for April 2 or 3! Of course I am told that it tends to happen in the middle of the night, which would be better than daytime while I am at work at least.

For sure! I really really really hope it does not all happen while I am at work. I have experienced dog people to look in on her and be there if she goes into labour and I'm stuck at work, but I really want to be there! Hoping for April 2 or 3! Of course I am told that it tends to happen in the middle of the night, which would be better than daytime while I am at work at least.

It is an amazing experience. I had never seen anything be born - human or pups - until Shadow had a litter. I cried like a baby. It's amazing that the Moms know what to do and do it all by themselves!!

I'm so excited for both you and Allison! It's amazing.

Of course I am told that it tends to happen in the middle of the night,

I have a little story to tell you.......two females that I have had in the past gave birth under the house.....dug out a little den, and had their pups. Meanwhile I had fixed up what I thought was the "perfect" birthing room IN the house in a quiet corner. After a couple of days and mom dog in under the house, I went and fetched the pups and mom and brought them back into the house. Went off for a couple of hours to do errands, came home and found that mom and pups were gone. I found everyone happy and warm back under the house in their little den. Needless to say a couple of days later I moved them again, this time it stuck, and mom dog didn't move them again. Soooooooo don't be surprised if mom goes HER way to find "HER" safe place ...... sometime in the middle of the night. :lol:

Judy K is absolutely right, it is truly an amazing experience to watch. Enjoy every moment.