Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Connections are sporatic due to a router/firewall problem. It appears to be dropping passthrough on port 80 (HTTP) from time to time. According to the literature I have found, the router in question is suceptible to floods and possibly certain attacks and goes in to hibernation.

This is a feature that I could have done without so tonight (PDT, Seattle) I will be replacing the router with a different one that does not have this problem.

The offending router was replaced last night with a standalone Linux firewall running Snort. This gives me the capability to detect attacks and control traffic down to a single IP:Port.

Short showed that the suspect attacks from China were in fact real. In a 24 hour period the logger detected over 20,000 intrusion attempts, mainly from one address in Shanghai.

As a result, an entire CIDR class B block from this attacker has been set to be denied. This encompasses Beijing, Chengdu, Huang Shan, Liuzhou, Shanghai, Zhijiang, and Hong Kong.

Here's the jist of this tale : if you are going to be on the internet, you should have a firewall. A hardware firewall is better than a software package. If you are going to host, build a dedicated Linux appliance - commercial hardware router/firewalls under $1000 are inadequate.

From this point out, barring maintenance, there should be no connection issues on this side of the internet. If there are, I would appreciate email being sent via the user email.

Thanks. He put in a tremendous amount of work, everyone, and all for a little extra kibble in the bowl.

It's really great.