7 replies to this topic

#1 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:59 PM

It is now 12:52 AM in the land of the third coast, USA. Kaposia sleeps on our bed. At 12:25 AM we were awakened by the most other-worldly howl I've ever heard. I don't know if she was asleep and dreaming or awake, but that's never happened in the nearly 5 years we've had her. It wasn't the melodious howling she does to the ring tone on my phone, this was like a mourning banshee. One long wailing howl. We petted her a little and she seems fine (?) but I'm still awake!
"A life ain't much of a life without a dog in it, s'what I always said."
Dan Gemeinhart, The Honest Truth

#2 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:24 AM

Hmmmmm...just a thought. It's mating season for the coyotes. Maybe she heard something we didn't and responded to that. We've seen a lot more coyotes trotting around the 'burbs lately.

#3 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2385 posts
  • Interests:Wishing you Joy, Blessings and Wisdom

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:08 PM

Could be. Ours act a bit odd during the rut. We had some singing to us at night for a while from the 'yotes. One was definitely in heat based on the markings. Wonder if she was saying "hello sailor". There was a sort of competitive howling one night between our dogs and the 'yotes.

#4 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:20 PM

Interesting...good to know.

#5 Berta

Berta

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Walking and biking with Frankie, singing, doing lots of stuff at church, getting closer to God, hanging with friends, eating healthy & otherwise babying my almost 70 y.o. body. (If it weren't for Frankie I could easily become a couch potato:)

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:24 AM

Frankie had a few days of clinginess, wanting to be in my lap or under my legs (not at all her usual thing:), and I've been mystified - maybe it was a reaction to the neighborhood coyotes! We frequently hear them at night, and neighbors report sightings now and then.

#6 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Love for everything in the natural world! Living in the mountains, traveling, hiking, gardening, making my own herbal products, for people and animals alike.

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:56 AM

Hmmm...yep, gotta say, the coyotes were howling up on the cliffs behind us, and almost lost Wyot to his taking off towards the sounds and smells- he is my super sensitive, always watchful and sniffing the air- dog. It is that time of year, and I also had a middle of the night weird yelping/howling for a brief minute (too long in my opinion!)...but he went right back to sleep, and didn't even rouse Keechee. Took me a while, though...

#7 NyteByker

NyteByker

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Interests:Life!

Posted 28 August 2020 - 05:44 AM

I know I'm late to the party, but wow, this is such an interesting thread.  I've never heard coyotes singing in the wild, as I don't live anywhere near them.  It's interesting to read how each of your dogs react differently to them.  I wish I could introduce my Nakoma to those sounds (safely).  I wonder how he would react.  Would he instinctively know that those sounds are not from a dog?  So interesting. 

#8 Adrienne

Adrienne

• IIDOBA Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 12:37 PM

I know I'm late to the party, but wow, this is such an interesting thread.  I've never heard coyotes singing in the wild, as I don't live anywhere near them.  It's interesting to read how each of your dogs react differently to them.  I wish I could introduce my Nakoma to those sounds (safely).  I wonder how he would react.  Would he instinctively know that those sounds are not from a dog?  So interesting. 

Rooster is a city dog for the most part but if he hears a coyote in a video game or a movie he will stop what ever he is doing and howl back. Sometimes he will howl at a wolf noise but the coyote sounds just speak to him. If you want to see what your dog will do there are a ton of youtube videos of coyotes howling. Rooster is real talkative so he will also howl at whale noises, doorbells, alarm clocks and people who are not paying enough attention to him. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users