Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Introducing Nidoba

Hi all - our new puppy arrived last Wed. That was a long day for her as it sounds as though it started at 2am. She had to switch flights, get unloaded and transported to the cargo hold area, therefore was home with us by 1pm. Poor thing. She was timid for about 2 hours...

We named her "Nidoba" which means 'Friend' in Algonquin Abanaki.

Art_with_Nidoba.JPG

We've been having a great time with her. She has lots of energy and personality. She also has an excellent balance of wanting to please and to observe.

It's been fun seeing her change; she found her legs Saturday and has been bounding and sprinting every since. Nidoba arrived with lungs, but seems to be quieting down! Our new kitten is finally accepting the AI Spaz too.

So it's been little sleep the past 5 days. She still wakes about every 2-3 hours during the night. I'm looking and feeling ragged, but she is worth it. I know as the days go by it will get better and the sleep will slowly return to my glorious uninterruted 8 hours!

This picture is of her favorite pastime; she loves the tall, soft grass we just installed. After playing hard she finds a shady spot and plays with her toys and/or passes out while I work on various backyard projects.

Nidoba.JPG

Edited by Roots
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Root she is a beauty yeah I know the stress these guys go through both of mine had to be flown I am in pa the first was a night mare I had recieved and older pup 1yrs and he was timid to begin withthe ar irlines messed up on his I did not get him untill the following day imagine the mess I was in he was worse could not be around my heater ran and hide for a year is sounded like a plane engine soI will never pup my guys on a plane again that was Snake KIm named him I kept it Malachi I got him like you 8 wks he wasnt too bad nervous heres a laugh kim said he is a little shy hope you can get him out of his shell when we got home WHAT SHELL? he went right to Snake and then the toys he had them all over the place still does :lol: someytime he will put them away not often

Good luck with her my boys love tall grass must feel good or something

Hi all - our new puppy arrived last Wed. That was a long day for her as it sounds as though it started at 2am. She had to switch flights, get unloaded and transported to the cargo hold area, therefore was home with us by 1pm. Poor thing. She was timid for about 2 hours...

We named her "Nidoba" which means 'Friend' in Algonquin Abanaki.

Art_with_Nidoba.JPG

We've been having a great time with her. She has lots of energy and personality. She also has an excellent balance of wanting to please and to observe.

It's been fun seeing her change; she found her legs Saturday and has been bounding and sprinting every since. Nidoba arrived with lungs, but seems to be quieting down! Our new kitten is finally accepting the AI Spaz too.

So it's been little sleep the past 5 days. She still wakes about every 2-3 hours during the night. I'm looking and feeling ragged, but she is worth it. I know as the days go by it will get better and the sleep will slowly return to my glorious uninterruted 8 hours!

This picture is of her favorite pastime; she loves the tall, soft grass we just installed. After playing hard she finds a shady spot and plays with her toys and/or passes out while I work on various backyard projects.

Nidoba.JPG

Welcome home Nidoba....What a beautiful pup....Roots, you are going to have big fun with that pup and the pool. Splashing and biting the splashes with a few barks mixed in. Maybe she will take to swimming in no time. Put a sinkable ball on the first stair of the pool and she will learn how to hold her breath and go down to get it. :lol:

Thanks - the first few days she was scared of that big hole in the ground. By Friday she was walking up to edge, so I was getting worried. I would say "no, not right now" and she'd leave the edge. But by the evening her curiousity was getting the best of her and (as I watched and said, "no") she strutted over there head held high, with a bounce in her stride; got right to the very edge to walk along side it. Then, one of her back paws slipped off and she almost fell in. That was enough (fear) for me - swimming lessons started the next morning.

She's been in the pool a few times now. She's still uneasy about it, but with me holding her she does not squirm. She's knows she's going in and and she's calm. Then I set her in the water close to the stairs and the splashing begins! Eventually she'll be comfortable and have a good stroke, but for now it's forget style and move those 4 legs as fast as possible!!!

Thanks - the first few days she was scared of that big hole in the ground. By Friday she was walking up to edge, so I was getting worried. I would say "no, not right now" and she'd leave the edge. But by the evening her curiousity was getting the best of her and (as I watched and said, "no") she strutted over there head held high, with a bounce in her stride; got right to the very edge to walk along side it. Then, one of her back paws slipped off and she almost fell in. That was enough (fear) for me - swimming lessons started the next morning.

She's been in the pool a few times now. She's still uneasy about it, but with me holding her she does not squirm. She's knows she's going in and and she's calm. Then I set her in the water close to the stairs and the splashing begins! Eventually she'll be comfortable and have a good stroke, but for now it's forget style and move those 4 legs as fast as possible!!!

Roots you say about the AI Spaz....well soon your kitten and Nidoba will be doing this....have fun!

12_10A.jpg

Great picture Maria!

Nidoba! Nice name. I love those light eyebrows.

• 2 weeks later...
Roots you say about the AI Spaz....well soon your kitten and Nidoba will be doing this....have fun!

Haha - great picture! Well Nidoba and kitten do like to play together, but usually the cat gets stepped on, ears nipped, tailed pulled and then stepped on again. We've had to change it up a little; since Sunday we are keeping them apart as the cat can't seem to shake her injured leg and when they play it only makes the limping worse.

Nidoba has had many swimming lessons since she first arrived. Good thing because the other day she was sprinting across the yard at full speed and didn't notice the pool and ran right in. The look on her face was one of total shock but luckily she was close to the stairs and swam over and climbed out. She likes to get in the pool with me and swim for the stairs, but if I don't carry her into it, she's very content on just looking at the water from the edge : )

Our visit to the vet went well this past Saturday. She cried all the way there and whined the whole time she was in the office. It was noisy, bright and busy...a lot for our little girl to take in seeing how it was the first time she had gone out into the big world (aside from flight down). Now, we are cleared for walks in our neighborhood on the concrete only.

So far we've made it as far as (2) houses down. Then she's ready to go back home. Tonight maybe we'll make it (3) house down..no rush and no pressure. However, this weekend she and I are heading to the local mountains to "hike" around so she can get comfortable on varying terrain. -We'll be in a remote area that rarely anyone else ever goes through let alone with a dog.

The biting and nipping is still going on, but with me the frequency is much less than before. Can't say that for my wife and daughter, but I assume as she learns from me it will trickle down to them more. She clearly understands "no", "off" and "sit"..."down" command is 50/50 right now.

Only had to wake at 4:30am this morning for potty break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the latest!

you will see how comfortable Nidoba gets in the woods nature you can see he natural dog in her its awesome

enjoy if you can make through puppy you can do anything :lol:

Haha - great picture! Well Nidoba and kitten do like to play together, but usually the cat gets stepped on, ears nipped, tailed pulled and then stepped on again. We've had to change it up a little; since Sunday we are keeping them apart as the cat can't seem to shake her injured leg and when they play it only makes the limping worse.

Nidoba has had many swimming lessons since she first arrived. Good thing because the other day she was sprinting across the yard at full speed and didn't notice the pool and ran right in. The look on her face was one of total shock but luckily she was close to the stairs and swam over and climbed out. She likes to get in the pool with me and swim for the stairs, but if I don't carry her into it, she's very content on just looking at the water from the edge : )

Our visit to the vet went well this past Saturday. She cried all the way there and whined the whole time she was in the office. It was noisy, bright and busy...a lot for our little girl to take in seeing how it was the first time she had gone out into the big world (aside from flight down). Now, we are cleared for walks in our neighborhood on the concrete only.

So far we've made it as far as (2) houses down. Then she's ready to go back home. Tonight maybe we'll make it (3) house down..no rush and no pressure. However, this weekend she and I are heading to the local mountains to "hike" around so she can get comfortable on varying terrain. -We'll be in a remote area that rarely anyone else ever goes through let alone with a dog.

The biting and nipping is still going on, but with me the frequency is much less than before. Can't say that for my wife and daughter, but I assume as she learns from me it will trickle down to them more. She clearly understands "no", "off" and "sit"..."down" command is 50/50 right now.

Only had to wake at 4:30am this morning for potty break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the latest!

Roots,

Have a great hike, and let us know how it all went. Have fun. :)

Oh man oh man I love the outdoors (before house remodel I spent all my free time in the mountains or deserts)...and Nidoba does too! As soon as we made it up to the treeline she started sniffing the air. Once she landed on the ground she was calm and looked natural.

We only hiked about 2-3 miles. At her young age and her lack of conditioning - I think it was enough. Well that combined with the fact that we were off trail the whole time so scrambling up and down rocks, up and over logs..meant a good workout for her.

Hike.JPG

She was unsure on a lot of the scrambling but I encouraged her and tugged the leash a little each time and by the end of the day she had the confidence that she could do it! :)

She did tire quickly and ask for breaks often. I think it was more mental than anything but I frequently obliged her with 30-60 seconds stops. Once we made it to our "destination". I set her up with a nice nap spot and I was able to go off get in some rock climbing.

Rest.JPG

We'll be going back to the same area this Saturday too. It's really all we can do until she receives another set of shots. Bummer :)

What a cutie! Love the 'badger' color on her back, and especially the shot of her Crashed out on the thermarest! Awesome-cute!

Jasper says hi!

arent theses dogs great she is adorable oh get used to not having a space of your own cause they will sneek in on you LOL :)

A few more pictures:

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG

Hey! That blue pad was for me...little brat!!

IMG_1341.JPG

Nice photos. She looks so small next to those pine cones. What a great beginning you've arranged.

• 4 weeks later...
For reference:

13 weeks = 14lbs

15 weeks = 17lbs

17 weeks = 23lbs

Thought I'd use this thread as a blog of sorts...for future owners that want to follow a puppy until she gets a little older. Sorry to all you that are attached to it, I think there's an option to unsubscribe if you want?

*Moderator - should this be moved to "Owner Check In" or something like that?*

Nidoba is doing well. The past couple of weeks she seems to have calmed down a bit. I suppose too we are all settling down together. We find new ways to communicate our wants and desires every day. Communication is key to a good relationship!

As you all know, aside from wanting a familiy pet, I wanted one that could hang with me and my love for the mountains. Eventually my goal is that she can head out and cover as much miles and peaks as I can. At my height of 'mountain fitness' I could do 25 miles and about 4 peaks in one day. Those days haven't come around in a while, but I could get back to it and if so would like company. -My wife and close friends have all tired of my exploits and no longer join me. : )

We are taking it relatively slow with her. My main concern is that her joints are not developed and would hate to cause some permanent overuse injuries (which afflict me). After discussing with my wife we decided to keep it to 6 miles or less until she is 6 months or older - then bump it to 8 or so and gradually increase as the months go by.

That being said, I found some free time this past Saturday night. It was lightly raining so I figured it would be good to test her in the rain, and during the evening when she normally naps. These kind of "tests" I have done with myself too over the years. For example; much better to go see what a blizzard is all about on top of a peak in my backyard than somewhere grand like The Sierras where if things go wrong they could have more severe consequences.

We loaded up the truck at 4pm and drove to the mountains. We hiked in the rain and darkness up to a Glen about 1,000' higher. She was scared at places where the trail narrowed, the vegatation was tall and the clouds (fog) where thick. When we came to those places, she usually stopped and then ran behind me. Fair enoguh I thought as it was eery looking with the light of my headlamp and she was unfamilair with the trail. I'd say "it's ok" and she would dash out front again.

On the way down she was the dog I am hopeful to train her to be. She had still had tons of energy, her paws were not sore (this trail has more rocks than dirt) and she stopped frequently to use her big ears (to listen to what was happening in the darkness) by jumping up on logs or boulders or by stretching up with her front paws on the same.

This outing showed me that she is becoming more and more comfortable with these outdoor scenarios. It was a great 'test' trip! ..I couldn't have been more proud of her. She is only 19 weeks old.

This outing showed me that she is becoming more and more comfortable with these outdoor scenarios. It was a great 'test' trip! ..I couldn't have been more proud of her. She is only 19 weeks old.

If she is anything like Danza, she will be fearless outside. Inside, my dog is very skittish of the oddest things (the rustle of plastic grocery bags, floor cleaning implements, unusual sounds) and will either run out the dog door and stand on the other side of the glass door and watch until the "danger" has passed before coming back in or come to her "safe spot", which is my knee. Outside, though, she is a different dog.

She crashes through any underbrush with abandon and will forge ahead without fear. It's actually a problem I'm working on. She mostly takes me for granted and would be completely comfortable on her own, as she has repeatedly proven. And she'd have the stamina and drive to do what you want Nidoba to do. I've been working on her bond with me, which is a little difficult for her, but it's starting to pay off. It's odd that the symbiosis that most owners rave about with these dogs does not come naturally to her, but that is how she's wired. I think she's fascinating and enigmatic.

You'll have a great hiking partner.

my two are very comfortable with the out door Malachi will be 1 next month Snake will be three when we climbed the appaliacian mts in va this summer they were amazing Snake stayed by my side while Malachi ran ahead and check the trail he would stop and wait until we could see him then off again I should have called him scout lol they are very at home with nautre you will have you hiking buddy

17 weeks = 23lbs

Thought I'd use this thread as a blog of sorts...for future owners that want to follow a puppy until she gets a little older. Sorry to all you that are attached to it, I think there's an option to unsubscribe if you want?

*Moderator - should this be moved to "Owner Check In" or something like that?*

Nidoba is doing well. The past couple of weeks she seems to have calmed down a bit. I suppose too we are all settling down together. We find new ways to communicate our wants and desires every day. Communication is key to a good relationship!

As you all know, aside from wanting a familiy pet, I wanted one that could hang with me and my love for the mountains. Eventually my goal is that she can head out and cover as much miles and peaks as I can. At my height of 'mountain fitness' I could do 25 miles and about 4 peaks in one day. Those days haven't come around in a while, but I could get back to it and if so would like company. -My wife and close friends have all tired of my exploits and no longer join me. : )

We are taking it relatively slow with her. My main concern is that her joints are not developed and would hate to cause some permanent overuse injuries (which afflict me). After discussing with my wife we decided to keep it to 6 miles or less until she is 6 months or older - then bump it to 8 or so and gradually increase as the months go by.

That being said, I found some free time this past Saturday night. It was lightly raining so I figured it would be good to test her in the rain, and during the evening when she normally naps. These kind of "tests" I have done with myself too over the years. For example; much better to go see what a blizzard is all about on top of a peak in my backyard than somewhere grand like The Sierras where if things go wrong they could have more severe consequences.

We loaded up the truck at 4pm and drove to the mountains. We hiked in the rain and darkness up to a Glen about 1,000' higher. She was scared at places where the trail narrowed, the vegatation was tall and the clouds (fog) where thick. When we came to those places, she usually stopped and then ran behind me. Fair enoguh I thought as it was eery looking with the light of my headlamp and she was unfamilair with the trail. I'd say "it's ok" and she would dash out front again.

On the way down she was the dog I am hopeful to train her to be. She had still had tons of energy, her paws were not sore (this trail has more rocks than dirt) and she stopped frequently to use her big ears (to listen to what was happening in the darkness) by jumping up on logs or boulders or by stretching up with her front paws on the same.

• 3 weeks later...

22 weeks or 5 months = 27lbs

She was spayed on Tuesday. When we picked her up last night, the doctor came out:

Hi, let me get Nidoba for you.

How is she doing?

She is fine. Dogs usually are tired and calm for a few days after surgery.

Oh good, we could use a break.

Well, having surgery yesterday has not phased her!

We're going to be challenged trying to slow her down so she doesn't rip her stitches. She was doing laps around the backyard last night and again this morning at full speed. And that's with the inflatable donut on. Where is Ceasar..calling Ceasar.. :)

22 weeks or 5 months = 27lbs

She was spayed on Tuesday. When we picked her up last night, the doctor came out:

We're going to be challenged trying to slow her down so she doesn't rip her stitches. She was doing laps around the backyard last night and again this morning at full speed. And that's with the inflatable donut on. Where is Caesar..calling Ceasar.. :)

No kidding!! Those were excruciating days after the surgery. Draco hated the cone of shame. We got him an inflatable collar and, with our constant vigilance, we got through it. The inflatable sort of worked for us, but Draco is so darned flexible that he'd figure ways around it.

Before we finished I found this information and this is what we'll likely try next time.

~~~~

http://www.dogsonly.org/dog_collars.html (near bottom of page)

At CCNDR, we designed the Carpet Collar to avoid these problems. It is simple to make.

Take a piece of carpet approximately 18 inches long, and 12-14 inches wide. It will have to be larger if your dog has a neck size more than 18 inches around, and smaller if your dog is smaller. The idea is that the length is the same as the distance around your dog's neck, and the width is about twice the distance between your dog's shoulders and the back of its ears.

Fold the carpet so that the backing is to the inside, and the resulting rectangle is now 18 inches by some 6-7 inches.

Fold the collar around your dog's neck with the folded edge at the shoulders of the dog. This will form a band around your dog's neck that goes entirely around the neck--about 18 inches--and extends from the shoulders to the base of the ears.

Tape this in place with strong strapping tape, or string reinforced packing tape. The resulting collar will permit your dog to play with toys, other dogs, and be easily walked. It cannot now get at most of its body, because the neck is restricted by the stiff carpet roll around the neck.

To remove the collar, just cut the tape.

We have found that the regular Alaskan collar or fur saver collar could be accessed just below the Carpet Collar. It was not as easy, but it was possible.

~~~~

Is it not an amazing thing, that even while recovering from previous day surgery, these dogs HAVE to run?!?!

LOL- Know all about the 'full speed' issue

Jas had his 'elective surgery' on Tuesday as well.

Our vet recommended taking Jas out on a leash for a week to do his thing.

Especially as we have a 2nd dog and they always want to play.

I feel like a Mean Mommy being a wet blanket and trying to keep the romping to a minimum.. lol

Good luck

(oh and premade a carpet collar if he needs it.)

How is she doing?

She is fine. Dogs usually are tired and calm for a few days after surgery.

Oh good, we could use a break.

Well, having surgery yesterday has not phased her!

:) Very cute. I remember this well.

Our Bouvier was the same, you could not slow him down. It literally was the death of him.

• 4 weeks later...

Nidoba made it through the healing period without any issues. I was kind of shocked that she didn't tear them out, but of course glad she didn't!

She is getting better now. "Better" meaning not as spastic as before. I think the road trip to Utah for Thanskgiving really made a difference and of course she is getting older now. She'll be 6 months old in a couple of days.

The biting has pretty much stopped! She seems to really want to please now that most of her 'young puppy foggy brain' is clearing. She still jumps up on my wife and daughter but settles down once they stand and ignore her. She still is not house broken though.

That is a reall bummer as we have to keep her quardoned off in the living room and under constant supervision. A lot of this is probably my fault as I work in the yard a lot and she comes in the house only for an hour or two each day. At night she is in the house but sleeps in her crate. I hope she learns soon that she can't pee in the house, so we can let her roam freely. She just needs more "house time".

With all the time spent in the yard, she's stopped digging and ripping up plants. : ) She just loves to lay around in the grass, chew on her toys, watch the birds and hunt crickets. I'm training her now to only pee in a certain area...she is taking to it well and the grass is happier.

Here's a picture of her first time in the snow. She loved it that day...it was the warmest of our 4 days in Utah.

Nidobasmall.JPG