Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Just A Whistle For A Recall Miracle!

So, I was still not having great luck with the e-collar for calling Wyot back to me when off leash.I had had some second thoughts, debated on whether I really wanted to use it..tried another training session with it on, and while it worked on buzz...he eventually came, though not right away. My husband worked with him a time or two as well, and he mostly reacted after the buzzing went on for a bit, repeating "come here" (while feeling like an idiot standing there pressing a button and babbling the same thing over and over, lol!)...

I did not really relish the thought of shocking, though it wasn't really painful. Now, the whole thing sits, because I really don't like putting the collar on top of his regular collar, the bulky piece with the prongs attached, and then the remote I have to carry! So, along with Wyot's new harness (which he LIKES, and lets me put on now.- he used to "talk" to me, protestsing a bit before allowing me to put on his previous harness), I had decided to order a dog training whistle (only 10 dollars). It is pretty much silent to us, but YOWZA! First time I used it when he went way ahead somewhere, his head whipped up, stared straight at me, and came enthusiastically running!! :) Did it a few more times on our walk, and it worked every time!

Today was a true test, being by myself (instead of tag teaming with hubby) taking him out in the field behind the house. He ran after sticks, ran circles around me like a maniac (a game he plays with us, running a perimeter around us, tearing up the turf, then turning around to go counterclockwise), and then he went a little ways out on a scent, and a little digging action...I whistled...and YES, he perked up his head and ears, and eagerly came running to me! Today's adventure was completely off leash, even going down to the stream, playing in and with the water, bounding around like a little rabbit over the rocks and things. I usually leash him towards the end of our outing and then take him in, but today, I went in..though he had other ideas. I said TREAT, but he wasn't going for it, until I said BYE BYE!, and shut the door. No sooner I did that, than I saw his face pressed up by the glass, trying to nose the door open! :P

I think the e-collar goes back..even if its for credit...!!!!

• Like 4

We use the e-collar differently, Coffey is basic trained already and it is to curb his reactiveness. Leash lunging (like a Marlin) when kids run by and fence reactiveness with other dogs. Also, when we use it for recall (when he refuses to come it is because he is focused on something and in his rear brain). We don't keep using the button while he is coming to us, only when he is NOT listening or tries to go back away from us. It is really to bring him back from rear brain to front brain for these type issues. It's working for us. I don't think the whistle would work for the other Reactive issues. Coffey is also almost 2 years old now.

It stays on him every day but we don't use it much. He is getting better staying in front brain and voice commands are working again more. So yes, we have to carry that remote around all over the place even though not using it unless necessary but it did have it's place when nothing else worked.

Someone brought a dog whistle to the dog park once. Heh, heh, heh, the guy said he never would do that again!

He thought he would work on recall with his dog ..... LOL!

• Like 4

Glad you found something that is giving you great results!!!!!!! :D

I'm not a big fan of repeating the command. Before you know it, the puppy thinks the command is: sit, sit, sit!

I wish I could get the dogs to just listen all the time. Tayamni definitely works for treats .... when I ask her to "come" in the house.

She will give me a look and just stand there and even sometimes turn away and walk down the hall.

I pick my battles. She listens very well when we are out places!

She has sensitive ears, I'm not sure how she would react to a dog whistle....

anyone else have an AI Dog with really sensitive hearing?

• Like 1

I would guess all AI dogs have very sensitive hearing. Kaposia heard the bat in our bedroom back in December...we didn't hear a thing. Of course at our age the hearing is beginning to fail, that's why I've never discouraged Kaposia from barking at noises outside the house, I want her to be our little alarm system. She's smart and doesn't bark incessantly, and when I say "Enough, good girl, thank you." she stops and gives me that "Did I do a good job Mom?" look. Using a dog whistle at the dog park....I can only imagine the mayhem!

• Like 1

Nope, wouldn't use the dog whistle at a dog park, lol! I'd be the pied piper of dogs!!! :P The e-collar training was to get his attention away from what he was too busy with, and not coming when called... and I did the training EXACTLY the way the video showed us how to. He doesn't need it for anything else at all... already knows to sit, and i don't need to tell him to sit when getting his food, etc....feeding time, he circles around me for a second or two excitedly, then goes to sit patiently by his food and water bowl, and doesn't get up until the bowl is down. It's been two days, and I go with him out of the house without him on the leash, and he goes where I tell him to (up if it's to the field, or down to the water if it's by the river), and it's really amazing how he knows what I mean!!! He didn't wander, he played stick and ran around like the goofy fun nutball that he is, and if he went off where he shouldn't I whistled and said come here, and there he came running! Now, I hope this continues...

I will post the exact whistle I got tomorrow..too pooped and ready to sit an veg before bed. :)

• Like 3

So far, so good...the whistle is by Ortz... the picture is exactly what I have, making it really convenient. It hangs right along with his leash (which I still haven't used, miraculously!)

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=322065670858&lpid=82&&&ul_noapp=true&chn=ps (this is e-bay, but you can get it from Amazon..this popped up first).

• Like 2