Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Guten Tag From Germany

Hey,

as I am new here I would like to introduce myself, or maybe I should say us.

Until two months ago I had never heard of the American Indian Dog, then one day my friend Anja send me a message on FB saying "can you please translate this page"

It was the homepage of "song dog kennels". I told her as I don't have the next two months off I could just tell her the main points. So I started reading and translating at the same time. Then I followed the links on the side and translated some more. The more I read the more interested I got.

I visited my friend Anja in February and she asked me to write an email for her, which she has sent to Mr. Kim LaFlamme.

Then I discovered this forum and registered myself to get to know even more about this breed.

I guess that's not really introducing myself :lol:

My name is Jennifer McHenry, I am 29 years old and live close to Bamberg in Germany. My dad used to be an american soldier who was stationed in Bamberg that's how I got my last name.

We've had dogs all my life, a terrier and a fox hound when I was a child, then a Bernese Mountain Dog Mix, we still have a Belgian Malinois/ Great Dane Mix (he is turning 14 this november), my first own dog was an german origin sheep dog but she died of brain cancer at five; my mum's current work dog is a Border Collie/ Great Dane mix.

My current dog is a mix too, he is part Cao de castro laboreiro the other part, my guess would be chicken. I got him from a shelter when no one else would take him, he was only a little over two years old and defended his food against humans. Now he works with mentally ill teenagers and is absolutely great. He'll never be an easy dog, but as he is turning seven years we have become a great team. We do Obedience, Agility and Clicker Training, he is dog dancing at "work" and a great friend.

The friend who is responsible for me blabbering here is Anja Boecker. She is a dog trainer, but first of all an absolutely great person. She lives in the Bavarian Woods, in the middle of nowhere. She and her husband have several dogs as she is into dogsledding and mantrailing and lots of hiking.

I registered here to find out more about the American Indian Dog. I am also kind of looking for my next dog, I am just not sure what kind yet. It will be about two to three more years as I don't have the time to do justice to the needs of two active dogs.

Is there even a chance of getting an American Indian Dog in or to Germany?

Well, enough about me, if you have anymore questions, please ask. And forgive me for this novella!

Jenny

post-19660-1302215875_thumb.jpg

Hello, and welcome. Kim told me to watch for you. Very glad to meet you. I do not know about shipping dogs to Germany. I am sure Kim is checking into it for you.

You sound like you and Anja would make good owners.

Hope it works out for you. Thanks so much for translating for Anja, and please say hello from Seattle, Washington!

As I look around our city, I would very much like to live in the Bavarian woods. I can only imagine that one of our dogs would like that, too.

I looked up your part dog, Cao de castro laboreiro, because I did not know it. Here is more information for those who are curious.

Cao de castro laboreiro

Hey Jenny, Welcome to the world of AIdog's. I enjoyed reading your post and about the Cao de castro laboreiro breed. A fascinating animal. Sounds like they can be a hand full.

he is part Cao de castro laboreiro the other part, my guess would be chicken.

I love the description you gave. :lol: He is a wonderfully handsome dog. Love those eyes.

WOW, these little AIdog's are really getting around. That would be so great to have an AIdog in Germany. I hope everyone can put their energies together to make it happen for your friend Anja......and someday, you too. :lol: Good luck to all, and keep us posted.

please say hello from Seattle, Washington!

And a big hello from Ben Lomond, California, to you all in Germany.

Welcome! My wife and I got an AI Dog last April (51 weeks ago). At the same time we got Draco, our kids and grandkids got his brother Rocco. Before that, it had been 30+ years since either Joan or I had had a dog.

I've wanted one for a long time but never really got over my last dog - an English Springer Spaniel named Karma.

We rescued her and it was obvious from the moment we took her out of her cage, she would do anything we wanted/needed forever. She was so perceptive of our needs that she frequently appeared telepathic. We'd go for a walk in the woods and she'd take off running ecstatically. A few minutes later we'd begin to wonder where she was and there she'd be. We never figured out if we were calling her by thinking about her or if she was signaling us that she was on her way. Though I sometimes used one, we never really even needed a leash. Not quite a perfect dog, but pretty close.

Today, we were talking to some people at a dog park and as natural as could be, I said, "Draco is the best dog I've ever had." It surprised me. He has, in just a year, surpassed all my expectations. (Now, don't interpret to mean that Draco's behavior is already the equal of Karma's!! He will get there. His Spirit and intelligence and willingness and desire and humor are wonderful. His walking on heel leaves room for improvement!!)

I was ready for "a dog". Hopefully, even a good dog. But, as we researched and found Kim and this breed of "ultimate mutts" I was fascinated by Kim's approach. What a dog looks like wasn't our primary concern. We were looking for a healthy, energetic dog that was loyal, obedient, smart, discerning, etc. etc. When we'd search the Internet for these of qualities of character, the AI Dogs would come up close to or at the top.

But, what that can't tell you is how well Kim knows these animal beings. When you decide to bring one of these animals into your life, Kim is, as far as I've been able to tell, nearly perfect at finding YOUR dog. As you read through the forum, you'll hear that repeated.

We've only had Draco for a year but it feels like it's been forever. He's already a forever dog. And, it's become obvious to us that we are a two dog family with only one dog, so we've already put our deposit down for another pup. We've seen and love a lot of different kind of dogs but would only have one breed ourselves.

You'll enjoy all the stories and immense dog wisdom on the forum.

Like Allison, Joan and I are near Seattle, Washington.

Greetings. And welcome.

Oh My Gosh, Gib- yeah!

"What he said" LOL

Welcome Jennifer-

I have been an AIDog mom for about 10 months. And, like Gib, we won't have any other kind now.

Jasper is just the Best Dog Ever! He is sensitive- but not fearful, kind- but immensely loyal, has a wild side- but knows when it is inappropriate, is athletic- but has a 'chill function' LOL

He is very affectionate and contact oriented, but not clingy.

He is my best-bud Ever.

I am having a blast teaching him Bunches of stuff: Frisbee, Freestyle, Scootering, Target training, plain ol' Fetch with a ball, he has a backpack that I sometimes put weight in to build strength and he loves carrying it. Plan on doing some camping/hiking this summer, and he has already gone to the beach twice and camping/hotels several times.

I don't think you will ever regret getting one of these amazing creatures.

As everyone else has said, enjoy the stories here and feel free to ask any questions.

:lol:

Anna

Good Evening (well it's evening here :lol: )

Thank you all so much for the very nice welcome!

I (and Anja) actually have a question or two about the AIDs. I'll give the questions numbers so I don't loose track ( I am bad like that)

1. How are American Indian Dogs with other dogs, like other female or male dogs (neutered or not neutered). This is important for Anja and me to know, as Anja has several dogs and I spent a lot of my time at the dog training club where there are always lots of dogs.

2. As mentioned above I do Agility and Obedience with my dog, now I like Agility, but my heart is in Obedience. With my next dog I'd like to get as far as going to tournaments. I am not sure if the sport is called the same in the US therefore I'm posting two links of tournaments

an easier one

part of world championship

Now I know, that with energy and lots of treats and lots of patience any dog can be trained in obedience, but I want my next dog to have fun at that kind of work. So my question is, do you think an AID would have fun at this? The training is done with positive reinforcement, using the clicker, treats and play.

3. Anja asked me to ask about the charakter of the American Indian Dogs, and because I don't want to translate pages I would think it's really great if you'd give me the first 3-5 words that come to mind when you think of your dog!

I hope I am not asking too much! THANK YOU ALL in advance for answers!

Jenny

My answers to your questions--

1- Fabulous. Jasper is quite social and plays well and works well with others.

He knows the difference between the dog park and a practice session for Frisbee with a dozen or so other high energy dogs..

2- LOLOLOLOL *gasp* Short answer- YES! As in- do fish do well at swimming?

Jas is learning to be a Frisbee dog, (freestyle disc dog), a scootering dog, a carting dog, obedience, soon agility, and regular dog-freestyle too. So, yeah, they do fine with obedience!

3- Intelligent, Willing, Affectionate, Intuitive, Versatile

And it is no problem at all, you can NEVER ask too much about a breed of dog you are prospectively acquiring. :lol:

Hi Jenny, I hope other AIdog owners jump in on this as well.

1. I have had my AIdog for two years, and have never had a problem with him being around other dogs....he seems to want to get to know them and play, play, play. He is very respectful to my 16 year old boarder collie. He watches her like a hawk in such a gentle way making sure she finds her ball. He will wait his turn, retrieve her ball if she looses it (she is almost blind and very deaf). This is something he has instinctively done since he was a puppy, I had no part in training him this.

2. These dogs will learn anything you put in front of them. They love the challenge. As a matter of fact, they are very creative and develop their own fun games to play. I watched the video, and only wish I was that disciplined to train like that. :lol:

3. You have probably read that they can be total brats when they are going through their "teen" stage just like children. However when they mature, they are magical, respectful, joined at the hip, responsive, communicative, and will read you like a book. -_-

10 cents from Miz M.

Hi Jenny, I hope other AIdog owners jump in on this as well.

1. I have had my AIdog for two years, and have never had a problem with him being around other dogs....he seems to want to get to know them and play, play, play. He is very respectful to my 16 year old boarder collie. He watches her like a hawk in such a gentle way making sure she finds her ball. He will wait his turn, retrieve her ball if she looses it (she is almost blind and very deaf). This is something he has instinctively done since he was a puppy, I had no part in training him this.

2. These dogs will learn anything you put in front of them. They love the challenge. As a matter of fact, they are very creative and develop their own fun games to play. I watched the video, and only wish I was that disciplined to train like that. :lol:

3. You have probably read that they can be total brats when they are going through their "teen" stage just like children. However when they mature, they are magical, respectful, joined at the hip, responsive, communicative, and will read you like a book. -_-

10 cents from Miz M.

Hi Jenny! We;come to the forum!

1. We have owned seven of these dogs and haven't had any problems with our dogs! It's just the way you train them and interact with them.

2. These dogs learn anything and sometimes more than they need to know. They are extremely smart and tricky!!!

3. They are total brats until they reach their 'teen' years. The terrible twos are a real challenge but worth getting through. All you have to remember is that they cannot become alpha -- if they do, it's too late. Then the real work will have to begin to take them down. They love to be close, are extremely communicative and enjoy spending time with their alpha!!!

Good Evening (well it's evening here ;) )

Thank you all so much for the very nice welcome!

I (and Anja) actually have a question or two about the AIDs. I'll give the questions numbers so I don't loose track ( I am bad like that)

1. How are American Indian Dogs with other dogs, like other female or male dogs (neutered or not neutered). This is important for Anja and me to know, as Anja has several dogs and I spent a lot of my time at the dog training club where there are always lots of dogs.

2. As mentioned above I do Agility and Obedience with my dog, now I like Agility, but my heart is in Obedience. With my next dog I'd like to get as far as going to tournaments. I am not sure if the sport is called the same in the US therefore I'm posting two links of tournaments

an easier one

part of world championship

Now I know, that with energy and lots of treats and lots of patience any dog can be trained in obedience, but I want my next dog to have fun at that kind of work. So my question is, do you think an AID would have fun at this? The training is done with positive reinforcement, using the clicker, treats and play.

3. Anja asked me to ask about the charakter of the American Indian Dogs, and because I don't want to translate pages I would think it's really great if you'd give me the first 3-5 words that come to mind when you think of your dog!

I hope I am not asking too much! THANK YOU ALL in advance for answers!

Jenny

1:My boys get along with other its usually the other dogs Ihave to watch out for my guys will summit before fight its takes alot to get theses dogs mad

2: with these dogs the sky is the limit theer is nothing they cant learn

3: Faithful , loyal, loving , funny, unpredictable you never know what they will do next in a good way ,comforting,

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Easter!

Thank you so much for all you're answers, I gave all of them to Anja, who also says a thousand thanks and she has more questions. :)

Anja would like to know...

1. if your dogs are fixed ( as if it changes their behavior)

2. is their hunting drive controllable, like if they find a scent or a rabbit can they still be called back

3. are there big differences in behavior between the male and female dogs

4. are there any dogs or breeders in Germany or the neighbouring countries (meaning breeders witht he ok from Mr. LaFlamme, not people who reproduce as they like)

And since Anja liked everything she has heard so far a lot, as does her husband, she would like to know how to apply for a puppy

I hope you have a great Sunday and Monday (Easter monday is a holiday in the US too, or)

Happy Easter!

Thank you so much for all you're answers, I gave all of them to Anja, who also says a thousand thanks and she has more questions. ;)

Anja would like to know...

1. if your dogs are fixed ( as if it changes their behavior)

Yes.

2. is their hunting drive controllable, like if they find a scent or a rabbit can they still be called back

It takes work, as with any hunting dog, but yes. I have taught my first dog using hunting dog techniques. He will stand still and let a deer walk in front of him, and not give chase until I say "Go", or leave it, too. He will return to a whistle. Of course, there were a couple of long runs, before he got good at that. The trick is to get their attention.

It is hard to call him off rabbits, but they usually don't run too far. :)

3. are there big differences in behavior between the male and female dogs

I've only had males.

4. are there any dogs or breeders in Germany or the neighbouring countries (meaning breeders witht he ok from Mr. LaFlamme, not people who reproduce as they like)
No. Absolutely not. Be careful of people mixing dogs over there, and calling them AIDogs.

And since Anja liked everything she has heard so far a lot, as does her husband, she would like to know how to apply for a puppy

Write to Kim. He interviews every owner.

Welcome, welcome to you both.

I did a beginner's agility course with my AID when she was six months old, for the opportunity to give her a different kind of training. I had to talk the instructor into letting us in the class, since she was younger than the normal age, but I assured her the dog would be able to handle it. She did really well and loved it. The teacher said she was super fast (not news to me) and she learned everything right away.

We didn't continue - it wasn't for me. But she would have been very competitive and good at it.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

sorry I didn't answer for so long, but between my sister falling with the horse and badly injuring her shoulder and other troubles I just didn't have the time.

Anja already tried to contact Mr. LaFlamme via Email. Now I have a question, is it possible to give him a call? Anja will be here at my place Friday evening to Sunday afternoon, it would be a perfect chance to call.

Maybe someone could ask him if it would be ok, we would really appreciate it! Thank you!

Jenny

He would love a call. I'll let him know to expect you. It is easier to catch him after 7pm his time.

9pm is good. I'll let him know.

541-597-2871

He's terrific, isn't he? So free with his information. That's what really sold me. I had talked to a lot of breeders, but to have one tell you of the struggles, and his commitment to keep the breeding stock healthy, well, I was so impressed. Most breeders do not want to talk about those things.

Then to meet the dogs, and have all the proof of his words, there, in front of me. We got on the waiting list, right away.

So glad you were able to reach him.

I'm glad you were able to connect with Kim. I love talking to him. Of course, 75% of his conversation is about dog.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

me again with a question.

Anja wrote Mr. La Flamme an email with the sales agreement attached. But she hasn't heard back from him yet. Now she was wondering as on the phone he had said that if we/her came to pick up the puppy he would think it possible for us/her to get one and for Anja (who would like a dog sooner than me) to send him the sales agreement, which she has done; but to get back to my point she was wondering if that means she is on the waiting list.

I am not sure I'm writting it right, I am really sorry I just had a really hard day and an awefull last week.

I don't want to seem pushy either, it's just that she asked me and I said I would pass the question on.

Thank you so much!

Jenny

PS: I have a great new pic from my dog pulling a bike (canicross) and was wondering if you'd like to see it even though he is not an AID (yeah, I admitt I'm terribly proud of him :) )

Hi,

me again with a question.

Anja was wondering if that means she is on the waiting list.

Tell her to send him a quick email. You can translate it for her if that works for you guys, but it has to be hard to arrange things overseas, with a language barrier, through an intermediary. Make it easy for Kim to let you know what is going on. He's shipping and raising pups right now, and has his hands full. Give him some time to reply.

Karen

Hi,

ok that was what I thought anyway. But thank you for reassuring me. I will tell her that.

But you are right, it isn't easy, but I am absolutely convinced it's worth it and so is Anja. I just kinda glad that I still hvae two or three more years before I can apply for a pup, because I am absolutely terrified of being with a lot of people in a confined space, so right now I can't picture myself on an airplane. But, I have a few years to practice still.

Thank you!

Jennifer, it might comfort you to know that it is the pup that has to fly, not you. Unless there are some weird rules regarding shipping animals to your country. Otherwise, Kim gets the pup ready and hands it over to the airline, and you pick it up at the airport.

But you are right, it isn't easy, but I am absolutely convinced it's worth it and so is Anja. I just kinda glad that I still hvae two or three more years before I can apply for a pup, because I am absolutely terrified of being with a lot of people in a confined space, so right now I can't picture myself on an airplane. But, I have a few years to practice still.