Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Hi Everyone,

I came across this youtube video and was wondering if Robert and Marie are a part of this group.

Also, I posted my final 2 minute routine from the World Finals last November.

Bella

You will need the latest version of Flash Player to view it. Flash

All the other videos I've made have been edited and probably required 45 minutes of video to get a 3 min clip put together. This one is 2 minutes of no editing using 7 disc's. Much different than just goofing off at the park.

Many of you know I'm waiting for my AID so I can have two dogs to compete with. I was so hoping Catch and Jay's breeding took, but as you know it didn't. So, hopefully it won't be too much longer before the next breeding.

I'm still waiting to met my first AID so please some of you SoCal people hit me up and we will come to you for a playday.

Todd mouthtake.jpg

Wow!!!!!! Those are some great moves! I'll be interested to see how your AIDog does. Coyo can really fly, and I have no idea what I'm doing. He is working on a helicopter, and maybe like Bella, he loves to show off, which must be helpful for competition.

We also use whistles to signal what my next move is going to be, which helps him to get into position faster, or to drop one frisbee and look up for the next one.

I imagine your body positions do the same thing. Is the routine always the same? Does she know what is coming next? The whistles allow us to make changes on the fly, and depending on the situation.

One more question: You say compete with two dogs, do you mean compete with them both at the same time-- is there a two dog event? Or is it giving one dog a rest, while the other performs.

The frisbee competitions that I have been to were not nearly as exciting as what you do. You seem more like JD and his dogs.

Marie and Robert used to be part of this group, but they prefer an email list. Someone will have the link.

Thanks glad you liked it. We have a lot of fun.

My routine has never been the same twice. I have since that comp committed to a set routine so things should get better for us. We practice so much and have so many throws that I read her position and speed to my position and make a quick decision as to what to do. But yes she then reads my body language and we work together to make it look smooth. Also she is just so fast all I have to do is put the disc in front of her and she will track it down plus she loves to jump and make the catch look good.

I will only play with one at a time. Hopefully the AID will help me level the playing field a bit. Most of these guys will have 2 or more dogs they compete with. Like JD showed up with two. So I have to beat those guys twice in order to win. So my goal with the AID is to make those guys cringe at the thought of having to beat me twice. I have one super dog just waiting for the second. I'm counting on the athleticism of the AID and hopefully between Bella and I we can produce a good disc dog. Besides I think Bella will enjoy the company.

Todd

I'm counting on the athleticism of the AID and hopefully between Bella and I we can produce a good disc dog.

Todd

I am certain you will!

I don't know about Bella, but Coyo ignored the frisbee for about the first year and a half. He shadowed other dogs chasing the frisbee. Then there was a time, when I could see his distance sight was improving, or maybe coming on line, and that may have helped change his attention.

I hope we get to meet at a Gathering one year. Coyo won't jump off me, since I hurt my neck. I am continuing to improve, and would like to be able to do some of those moves--at least to have him jump over me. I know Coyo would enjoy it, too. So would the neighbor kids!

We have both aged so much, these last 4 years, after this accident, and now to be recovering some of my former health, is an excellent place to be. I am refusing to give up anything to the age deal. Lots of PT, is slowly bringing back the arms and hand strength. In the last few months, the feeling has returned to my fingers! I want those last four years back! All those missed frisbees!

We have both grown a little lazy, though, and that is almost worse than the injury. :ph34r:

Hi Allison,

You know the first five months we had Bella she didn't go for the disc she to was shadowing my lab I was raising at the time. As soon as the lab went away to work Bella was all over the disc. She is such a natural! The very first time we went to a competition we had to borrow a disc and we played one round of toss/fetch in which we got 21.5 points out of 22. People were coming up to us and saying how Bella is just awesome. Her ability to track and read the disc in the air is a beautiful thing to see. If I throw a 50 yarder and the disc tilts while in flight she will read that and adjust herself so she will be standing where the disc comes down. I didn't and couldn't teach that. The best thing about her is her patience to wait for the best time to go up for the disc. Most mal's and other high drive dogs can develop bad habits of jumping early thinking they can make the catch when the disc is 12 feet up. We call that PREMATURE E-Jumpulation!! Some dogs can recover and still make the catch but most don't.

It sucks to be in pain and can't do what you really want to do. I wish you all the best in your healing process.

I hope we can met at a gathering. I think it would be so cool! Where are the gatherings?

We will come up to Kim's once we know the puppy is ready. Why don't you met us there?

Todd

Edited by Todd
Allison what happened to your neck I thought you were out doing adveture riding on enduro motorcycles just recently? Unless those were old pics?

Todd beautiful dog my friend you are doing a great job!

Thanks!

If I remember right you are from Georgia? I know there is a big disc dog community there. So if you want a hook up I will find someone near you.

Todd

Allison what happened to your neck I thought you were out doing adveture riding on enduro motorcycles just recently?

If you read my report from last year, you will see I was fooled into riding, thinking that it would be an easy ride, and scared s**tless, till I landed back at the hotel in a very hot tub, and immobile for a few days after that.

More recently, my Physical Therapist, who is cool beyond measure, has been helping me with exercises, and then at a certain point, said I could try them while wearing the helmet. I haven't done anything too dangerous, since the Black Dog Rally, and I am limited in distance and time by the weight of the helmet. Also, I have to rest several days between, etc., etc. But when you've got an injury like this, that has stolen your life, you have to push, at every opportunity. I just left that part out of the report. No one wants to hear about my aches and pains. Nor do they want to see pictures of me, when they could see my DOG in the sidecar. You know what I mean.

Frisbee, with that snapping arm, wow, that has been a measure of my recovery. I might throw frisbee one day, and then have to sit pretty still for three of four and take muscle relaxers (which are no good for dreaming). And that is after several years.

But it's not a big deal, as long as I keep improving. It is slow, but in the last year, since I started working with this PT, it is very, very steady. Hooray!

The worst part was about two and a half years into it, when the current doctors were saying, "Well, you know, you're getting older....."

Fortunately, I found some new doctors.

You know the first five months we had Bella she didn't go for the disc she to was shadowing my lab I was raising at the time.

Todd

Shadowing, right. So you've probably thought this all through, the raising of this pup. It's gonna be something to watch. Coyo gages the flight of the frisbee too, but I also know the rhythm that helps him to fly.

I have a feeling you know exactly what I mean.

Shadowing, right. So you've probably thought this all through, the raising of this pup. It's gonna be something to watch. Coyo gages the flight of the frisbee too, but I also know the rhythm that helps him to fly.

I have a feeling you know exactly what I mean.

Yes I know what you mean. I sure hope some of Bella's skills rub off on the little dog. When I got Bella I had no idea she was to be a disc dog from hell. With this one I want it to be a disc dog and will be raised to be one unlike Bella who became one at one year old. Almost everyone who has been in my shoes where they already have a great disc dog by chance and got the second dog by design has told me it never works out as good as the first dog. However, NO body has chosen an AID as the second dog.

We are just very excited and chomping at the bit to get the process started. Hopefully soon!

Take care!

Todd

Well I hope it works out b/c Bella is TRULY amazing and I hope she isn't a once in a lifetime animal. Watching these AIDogs coarsing and jumping and such I would imagine they would be real good at this like some of allisons stories sound like her dog is hi drive.

Amazing is all I have to say. Todd I know there is a climbing gym downtown called atlanta rocks and the guys that own it I heard are huge into frisbee dogs. I'll wait on the contact info for when I'm ready. Just as long as you don't vanish from forum as soon as you get your dog Bwahahaha.

Whats your link to bellas site my brother in law in colorado springs has to malinois' I would love to show him yours.

Well I hope it works out b/c Bella is TRULY amazing and I hope she isn't a once in a lifetime animal. Watching these AIDogs coarsing and jumping and such I would imagine they would be real good at this like some of allisons stories sound like her dog is hi drive.

Amazing is all I have to say. Todd I know there is a climbing gym downtown called atlanta rocks and the guys that own it I heard are huge into frisbee dogs. I'll wait on the contact info for when I'm ready. Just as long as you don't vanish from forum as soon as you get your dog Bwahahaha.

Whats your link to bellas site my brother in law in colorado springs has to malinois' I would love to show him yours.

here's a Bella site for you. My buddy is managing it so it's a work in progress.

http://www.ejminternetresources.com/bellaOfficialSite/

here's the breeder http://www.dantero.com/

here's the breeders page for Bella http://www.dantero.com/dogs.php?id=586

Thanks for the props!!

Todd

All this frisbee talk got us both pumped, and the temp was about 11-15 degrees above freezing, sun shining, so we went to the frisbee field and had a good workout.

I'm covered with mud, , and he is stretched out and enjoying the sleep of a worn out dog.

I got him to jump over my leg. It's a start.

We're both so out of shape, I didn't want to over do it. Hope to throw a few tomorrow, but we'll see.

Todd, what about the timing of the throw, for the jumping over you? Any advice?

Sounds like fun!! I'm about to take our evening walk to the park. It's Bella social hour with the local dogs. We practice in the am when no other dogs are around. At least not 10 or more like in the pm.

Over the leg is where I started. Good job. I did it as a take at first then moved up to a toss.

My advice would be to throw it a little sooner than you might think, the dog is moving very fast and I had to learn to make the toss a little earlier than what my instincts were telling me. It really became obvious to me when I started video taping us playing.

My first video's were done a year ago and I can see myself developing many of my tricks I use today back then. It's cool to see how they have evolved.

Throw Coyo a couple for me.

Todd

Thanks. Good advice, and I think I'll watch your vids, again, to help me get the rhythm. Like so many other things in dog training, it's me that needs work, not my dog.

I've been thinking about it all evening..... Oh no, I'm becoming a maniac.

I haven't met them yet. But hoping that they come to AZ in April for a big event that they won 2 years ago. Roo received one of the Vick dogs Hector so Wallace has a little brother. Wallace is an amazing dog for sure!

Todd

Ooooh. So sore, today. Learned and tried some fun things, but talk later. Ouch. ^_^

Ooooh. So sore, today. Learned and tried some fun things, but talk later. Ouch. ^_^

Very cool can't wait to hear about it.

Bella and I collided today and I expect it will leave a mark. It's amazing how much power a 44 pound dog can generate.

Keep it up!!

Todd

It's amazing how much power a 44 pound dog can generate.

And how hard their heads are!

So, one problem I was having, was that if I threw too early or high, he would just run around me. Yesterday, however, I tried it in the hallway, where he could not go around. Every jump (though small) was a success, which is always good for training. Then, and I hope my husband doesn't read this thread, I got the bright idea of using the hallway, leading to our bed. So he got a little height, had a fun landing, and was still not able to go around me.

I got a little experience with the timing, too. A very little, but at least I was able to feel some success, too. Hope he doesn't notice the frisbee marks on the ceiling. I'll keep the lights low.

I use whamo fastbacks

Buy them here http://www.dtworld.com/ misprints are cheap. I have my own printed up with BIG AIR BELLA on them. Probably noticed them in my video's.

Hard bite dogs need http://hyperflite.com/jawzdiscs.html get the one with the disc dog video combo I don't like them but many hard bite dogs owners swear by them. very durable.

Todd