Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Draco & Wicca's Adventures

Thanks, everyone!

In the meantime, we have a couple "last" playdates scheduled this weekend!! :)

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, friends and family, I have to make a confession.....   We have been far, far too busy. How busy, you may well ask.   Glad you asked. We've been so busy, that for the first time ever, I cam

Haven't purchased the Chinese herbs, yet.   We've a vet appointment coming up and will ask then. If we get no direct assistance from our vet then I'll go direct.   There's nothing immediate pushi

I did a quick search but didn't find any references I may have made back over the last few years to a family we've met several times in Edmonds while walking Draco & Wicca.   Started back a whi

Posted Images

Our fingers (mine) and paws (Tolinka's) are crossed for Wicca. Hoping for a very fast recovery. I hope these "last" play dates are full of fun. Take some extra special treats along. :-) Sending best wishes and good luck to Wicca.

I'll certainly be thinking of you all next week! Little Wicca will most likely sail through while her two legged people take on the weight of the world until the outcome is clear. Nevertheless, my heart goes out to Wicca as much as to you. It's so hard to see them hurting even a little and it sounds like Wicca has had her share of not so little pains because of the OCD. Good luck to all.

And here I've been wondering about how to keep Denakka quiet after his neutering. Whenever I get frustrated with that, I'll be thinking of you and it'll remind me that my "problem" is nothing since it's so short-lived in comparison. Take care, all.

Oh man, Gib!

Well, if anyone is gonna be a "first" it would be you guys.. *chagrined laughter*

Our thoughts are with you all- especially Wicca!

Hey, everyone!

Draco and Joan have gone up to bed so I have a moment to send an update.

We got a call around 4:30pm that Wicca had woken up from her anesthetic and the surgery had gone smoothly.

The doctor found the OCD's signature flap of loose cartilage in the right shoulder and some mild arthritis. The left shoulder also had the flap, but also had the more advanced "Joint mouse" -- a piece of cartilage or bone that has sloughed off and is free floating in the knee joint. (I've had one of those! The pain is drop-you-to-the-floor, 10 on the Richter scale.) The left shoulder also showed some mild arthritis.

Joan asked for the prognosis for her long term mobility. He said that the breed tends to live a long and healthy life. When Wicca is elderly, she may show (he emphasize may) some signs like being stiff on a cold morning.

In other words, we just get through this next 6 week healing cycle and she's as good as new. We pick her up at 2:00pm tomorrow.

Thanks for all the suggestions and links.

This too shall pass.

• Like 1

I'm so happy to hear that Wicca's surgery went so well. Now the fun begins--keeping her from her stitches and keeping her quiet! It's minor compared to your situation, but Denakka was neutered yesterday and he is convinced that he is in trouble all the time--poor little guy! I slept with him last night--mostly on the floor--to keep him from licking the stitches and to comfort him. Let me tell you the floor is no place to sleep when you are 68! Ugh. He's frightened of the elisabethan collar so I'm using an inflatable. He can still get to the stitches but it's more difficult than nothing. How do you put a dog in a crate with an e-collar anyway! I'm hoping he stops looking like the world for him has ended; it breaks my heart. Today I'll try to make as normal as possible so that he gets the message that this is no big deal. Such a sensitive guy--can I still call him a Dude? A few days for me and Denakka; more for you and Joan! I hope Wicca has a devil may care attitude instead of the world is coming to an end--makes it even harder on the two leggers and as we all know, it's hard enough when one of our marvelous four-leggers are not 100%.

Keep us posted on Wicca's progress. I'm so glad you caught this when you did and got the surgery--always such a hard decision. The pain must have been awful for the little girl. No more of that awful pain; just the more subtle pain of healing and then PAIN FREE! YIPPEE.

He's frightened of the elisabethan collar so I'm using an inflatable. He can still get to the stitches but it's more difficult than nothing.

When Draco was neutered, he figured out how to use the edge of the "collar of shame" to scratch his itch.....

Somewhere on the forum here is a link to a description of making an effective collar out of carpet. I tried it on Draco and later on Wicca and it works pretty good.

But for both of our pooches, after the third day, they didn't need it anymore.

~~~~

We pick up Wicca at 2:00pm. More sometime after that....

• Like 1
..... the surgery had gone smoothly.

The doctor found the OCD's signature flap of loose cartilage in the right shoulder and some mild arthritis. The left shoulder also had the flap, but also had the more advanced "Joint mouse" -- a piece of cartilage or bone that has sloughed off and is free floating in the knee joint. (I've had one of those! The pain is drop-you-to-the-floor, 10 on the Richter scale.) The left shoulder also showed some mild arthritis.

This too shall pass.

My mistake -- the joint mouse wasn't in Wicca's knee, it was in her left shoulder. Mine was in my knee.

Draco can only concentrate for just a few minutes and then he has to go look for Wicca. Right in the middle of a good tug, he'll just drop the rope and go sit by the gate.

Joan and I, too.

She'll be home soon.

Aww big brother is worried about little sister.

Glad to hear they found what they expected. Also glad to know that it can (and was) repaired.

Our thoughts are with you in the recovery time.. :)

Gib, thanks for the updates thinking so much about Wicca and your family.....sorry you have to go through all this but soooo glad Wicca has such a wonderful family that loves her so deeply that they would do anything for her!!! Not all dogs are this blessed!!!

Sending lots of hugs!!!

This stressful drama is drawing to a close, which has to be a relief. I'm glad she didn't wait any longer for the procedure - it's better to get stuff like that out of the way if you are going to do it. Good luck to all 4 of you while she recuperates and returns to her delightful (and now pain-free) self.

Karen

Sssshhhhh, Wicca's sleeping.

I'll get pictures tomorrow.

We picked her up at 2:00pm. When they brought her out of the back room, she was full head and ears up and pranced down the hallway like nothing is the matter.

Except almost her entire front half is shaved. She has just a couple of little, tiny spots on each side that have a couple of small sutures.

OK, then, now for two weeks in the crate.

The doctor who did the surgery does both arthroscopy and open surgeries. He said that one of the "joint mice" in her left shoulder would not have been found with open surgery. Because they went in with the scope they were able to see it and remove it.

~~~~

And, as we supposed, Draco has been extremely gentle. In the car on the way home they lay nose to nose just looking at each other.

More soon.

And, as we supposed, Draco has been extremely gentle. In the car on the way home they lay nose to nose just looking at each other.

Awww.....that is such a sweet picture. Get well soon, Wicca!

A couple of pictures; not too many words.

First 24 hours down; next 984 to go!

Wicca's Right Shoulder -- there's matching incisions on the other side...

Wicca_Right_Shoulder_Small.jpg

Not everyone wants to see a close-up of the flaps of cartilage the doctor pulled out. I tried to make the picture life size. Don't know if it will translate.

Wicca_Right_Shoulder_cartilage_closeup.jpg

For her little shoulders, those are huge. You can see the two large flaps and one small one. There's another small one that can't be seen in this picture.

With out all those "rocks in her shoes", she is already wanting to play tug with Draco.

But, so far, not much sleep but it's been pretty easy.

More soon.

Edited by Gib
  • Like 1

So glad to hear that things are going well. Wicca will be so comfortable now without the 'mice' in her! I just think how painful a little tiny splinter can be and then look at you picture and OUCH! Hope all goes well with the crate rest---probably harder on you than her! Always love those tough stories than end in Good News and boy, howdy, you sure have some to tell recently--with both of your special friends. Denakka and I are both sending our love out to Wicca!

Gib,

I'm a new user to the forum (been on the waiting list for a little over a month now) & have been keeping tabs on Wicca's situation. Glad to hear that she's doing better & that the worst is behind you.

Ditto. Sounds like you made the right choice. Little sweetie. We look forward to seeing her run around painlessly.

Gib,

I'm a new user to the forum (been on the waiting list for a little over a month now) & have been keeping tabs on Wicca's situation. Glad to hear that she's doing better & that the worst is behind you.

Thank you.

I woke up this morning and didn't know what day of the week it is. We picked her up from the Vet's on Tuesday afternoon, so what's that, 3 days!! Wow.

It's been both extremely slow and has flown by.

These d*mn dogs ( ;) ) have such a strong constitutions. Wicca is ready to rock-n-roll. She's on her pain meds, of course, but she's shown almost no signs of pain or favoring her shoulders. The four little spots that have sutures look good. She is sneaking in some licks but hasn't tried to pull them out. OK, maybe once or twice, but in three days, that's really, really good.

Joan and I joked this morning after an episode where we had to (somewhat frenetically) separate Draco from Wicca because she was ready to go right into their normal wrestling-running match. "It's only 39 more days! :) "

Joan then packed up Draco to took him away for a walk.

Gotta run... Wicca wants to go outside...

This too shall pass.

Edited by Gib

Oh man! Good news, but I do not envy you. Very glad to hear the little sweetie is doing well.

I'm so glad things are going as well as expected--maybe even better. I don't envy you either. After just 5 days of dealing with Denakka after neutering and I'm exhausted. Either the collar is on and he's depressed, angry, frustrated, etc., or it's off and I have to keep my eye on him 100% of the time! I couldn't do 6 weeks! It does sound like Wicca is being a dear about it all, but that doesn't make it easy for anyone!

Wicca is ready to rock-n-roll. She's on her pain meds, of course, but she's shown almost no signs of pain or favoring her shoulders.

I don’t mean to sound uncaring, however, I learned that when I had surgery, those pain meds made me feel like a million bucks. I didn’t feel a thing, which is good, and not so good. When you can’t feel, you forget that there is a place in your body that is trying to heal, and I know, I probably did things that I shouldn’t have at the time. Thus I cut back on the meds, and it slowed me down considerably because I could feel a bit of the pain which reminded me that life for the moment was not ready to be back to normal. So if Wiccca is too rambunctious, and you are worried about ripping stitches, you might shave a bit of the pain meds down, and she will probably slow down too. Just a thought.

I don’t mean to sound uncaring, however, I learned that when I had surgery, those pain meds made me feel like a million bucks. I didn’t feel a thing, which is good, and not so good. When you can’t feel, you forget that there is a place in your body that is trying to heal, and I know, I probably did things that I shouldn’t have at the time. Thus I cut back on the meds, and it slowed me down considerably because I could feel a bit of the pain which reminded me that life for the moment was not ready to be back to normal. So if Wiccca is too rambunctious, and you are worried about ripping stitches, you might shave a bit of the pain meds down, and she will probably slow down too. Just a thought.

Agree with you 2000% - our vet doesn't do pain meds for that reason. If they (or us) can't feel the hurt, that's when we get in trouble -- been there done that!!

JudyK

Wow Miz Molly and JudyK I was thinking the very same thing....with my daughters ACL surgery she said the very same thing!

Glad things are going ok Gib....will be thinking of you these next 36 days.....good luck!

I don't mean to sound uncaring, however, I learned that when I had surgery, those pain meds made me feel like a million bucks. I didn't feel a thing, which is good, and not so good. When you can't feel, you forget that there is a place in your body that is trying to heal, and I know, I probably did things that I shouldn't have at the time. Thus I cut back on the meds, and it slowed me down considerably because I could feel a bit of the pain which reminded me that life for the moment was not ready to be back to normal. So if Wicca is too rambunctious, and you are worried about ripping stitches, you might shave a bit of the pain meds down, and she will probably slow down too. Just a thought.

Thanks, everyone, for continuing to check in...

Today mark's a week since Wicca had her surgery. We did it -- one week down and five weeks to go!!

Oh, yes, we've already started cutting back on the Tramadol.

Another super-strict week and then we slowly can begin rebuilding her strength and endurance.

Draco has been a champ, only forgetting a couple of times outside and challenging Wicca to a wrestle-run. We just say "No," and they have. Amazing.

Inside, they've been continuing their "wookie warsongs" in the morning but have been maintaining their restricted play level. And, in the evening, when they would normally be doing some training or playing, Draco has, numerous times, gone over and brought a toy or chew to Wicca.

I do believe we are going to make it through this.

I guess that's the life lesson, isn't it? This too shall pass.