Photo

How Big Is Your Adult Dog .... And From What Litter?

size adult dogs litters

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts
  • Interests:Lakota Ceremonies, praying, helping others, reading, camping, farming, horses, dogs, cats. History, science, Universe & other learning shows and of course my entertaining mindless TV shows: sci-fi, supernatural, anime, action, comedy ... Oh, and I have an ironic sense of humor

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:16 AM

I'm polling - just for fun - it's not scientific at all ------

I know pups can grow to different sizes even from the same litter,

but I'm curious - YES part cat:

If you feel like it:

Please list the name of your (1 yr or older) adult dog, parents, age, weight, height? (and any anecdotes you want to add!

Thanks!

#2 woodrat

woodrat

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:The dogs, photography, drawing, taxidermy, needle felting, hiking, dog behavior.

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:03 AM

Haven't weighed him in quite a while but Tamarack's been almost exactly 50 lbs for the past couple years so I assume he's still around the same. He's not outlandishly tall (22.5" at the shoulder), but he's got a lot of muscle.

And to think he came from Newkim, who is just a little nugget of a dog! Mom is Raven.

#3 MeganC

MeganC

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:49 PM

Zephyr is from Jay Silver Heels x Ice Blue 2013. He is pretty slim, usually between 40-45lbs. I think he was predicted to be 10lbs heavier, but he seems to have stopped growing. Not sure if he'll fill out any being that he's not even 2 yet.

#4 Carolyn

Carolyn

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Interests:Getting used to retirement...looking at the world a whole new way...

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:11 PM

Ayita is from Rowdy and Talker Bear and will be 2 on September 6. She holds steady at 29.5 pounds. I went to measure her height just now and she went under the bed. Not a fan of strange contraptions near her bod :huh: I'll estimate she's about 16" or so. Small but mighty! Her mama, Talker Bear, died several days after giving birth. Very sad. 

Rowdy left, Talker Bear right.

Attached Files

"When Man waked up he said, 'What is Wild Dog doing here?' and the Woman said, 'His name is not Wild Dog any more, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always.' "  Rudyard Kipling (The Jungle Book) 

#5 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts
  • Interests:Lakota Ceremonies, praying, helping others, reading, camping, farming, horses, dogs, cats. History, science, Universe & other learning shows and of course my entertaining mindless TV shows: sci-fi, supernatural, anime, action, comedy ... Oh, and I have an ironic sense of humor

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:00 AM

Ayita is from Rowdy and Talker Bear and will be 2 on September 6. She holds steady at 29.5 pounds. I went to measure her height just now and she went under the bed. Not a fan of strange contraptions near her bod :huh: I'll estimate she's about 16" or so. Small but mighty! Her mama, Talker Bear, died several days after giving birth. Very sad. 

Rowdy left, Talker Bear right.

Thanks for the info so far everyone!

Sorry to hear abour Talker Bear, she left something wonderful in the world for people!

#6 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:06 AM

Haven't weighed him in quite a while but Tamarack's been almost exactly 50 lbs for the past couple years so I assume he's still around the same. He's not outlandishly tall (22.5" at the shoulder), but he's got a lot of muscle.   And to think he came from Newkim, who is just a little nugget of a dog! Mom is Raven.

WOW!   He always looks HUGE! maybe bigger than life in his pictures!

Tayamni is almost 22" at 9.5 months but doesn't seem to have grow up in a couple months (she seems to have gotten a bit longer in that time).  I'll post :her figures on/after 09-13-15.

#7 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:35 AM

Jasper is very tall, but lightly built at around 35 lbs. (people always ask if he is German Shepherd x Whippet)

He is Echo x Rocky  (Jay SH's son, and I think Kim needs to utilize Rocky again!)

And K'ne is average height for the breed and about 45 lbs.

She is Mesa x Jay SH

Attached File  IMG_5740.jpg   87.7K   25 downloads

Attached File  2DCliff.jpg   154.17K   23 downloads

"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#8 Chinatola

Chinatola

Liliko'i & Kekona's Padre

• 1173 posts
  • Interests:Multiple business owner, father of two grown children, guitarist, amateur astronomer & husband of 30 years to my wonderful Julie Ann. Oh yeah...absolutely nuts about dogs!!

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:37 AM

Lili is about 18" at the shoulder...also skittish about strange contraptions that she's not used to being used for things she doesn't understand.  More brave than her sister though...had to eyeball Kona since she wouldn't come near me with the tape measure in hand...silly pup. I bet she'd be on it if it had stuffing in it though!

She's about 22".

My guess is that Kona is about 38# and Lili is about 36# but I can't confirm since I don't have a scale that would work in this instance.

Lili is from Sonoma X NewKim 

Attached File  two.jpg   149.69K   29 downloads

Kona is from Mars.

Attached File  twomore.jpg   206.42K   20 downloads

(actualy Shasta X Jay Silver Heels)

Chinatola

Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized.

--- Daniel Burnham

#9 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2351 posts
  • Interests:Wishing you Joy, Blessings and Wisdom

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:13 AM

Wakinyan is around 46 lbs. He has the same size body as Cake and Kona but his neck is shorter and his legs are short - like Lili. He is Sonoma X Newkim and I believe he is built like his daddy based on the pictures.

Cake - who may not be done growing - is tall and leggy. She was at 42 lbs last vet visit and still feels lighter when I pick her up vs Waki but not by much. She now towers over him and was the tallest during our 4 AID party. She is Feather X Jay.

#10 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

Silly Chinatola! Are you sure she's not from Venus?

Wow!  Just looking at pictures sizes are so deceiving (AI Dog magic:P

Starghoti,  thanks for the pics with both K'ne and Jasper in them.  The face shapes of each seem very different to me.

I was just looking at Greg's posts about Anoki (his birthday weight surprised me and got me curious enough to start this post)

not sure if he'll grow more , but I looked back and at about 9 + months (April 2015) Anoki was 20 1/4" inches tall.  If measured at the withers  - I didn't realize my pup is taller at that age ......

His weight reported at one year - 42 pounds.  (hope you don't mind my research Greg).

I thought Anoki was taller.  He may be now.

I would say that it must be because the males fill out faster, but the pics of Kekona look filled out  ......

Oh, I use a yard stick and pencil over back or sometimes the leash instead of a tape measure, or ruler across back and my leg, then measure the length of leash or mark on leg  (sneaky but works :D

Sherab, thanks for the descriptions of each dog!   I can understand how Waki is heavier yet shorter, not really smaller.

Since we can't all get together (those that can get to the Gathering are REALLY blessed!!!!!!!!!

I hope this helps others (on the waiting list or not) to get a little perspective and have FUN reading!!!!!!!!  :rolleyes:

I am definitely enjoying the posts so far!    :) 

#11 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• 854 posts
  • Interests:Hanging out at Song Dog Kennels and learning from Kim. I am a life long Chicago Cubs fan and a Chicago Bears fan. If I am not at Song Dog Kennel, you can catch me at Lake Selmac Bass fishing or on the Rogue River Steelhead and/or Salmon fishing.

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:00 AM

I was just looking at Greg's posts about Anoki (his birthday weight surprised me and got me curious enough to start this post)

not sure if he'll grow more , but I looked back and at about 9 + months (April 2015) Anoki was 20 1/4" inches tall.  If measured at the withers  - I didn't realize my pup is taller at that age ......

His weight reported at one year - 42 pounds.  (hope you don't mind my research Greg).

I thought Anoki was taller.  He may be now.

No Denise, I don't mind.  Anoki is a bit taller now.  I just measured him this morning at 21" inches tall, that is at the withers.  Anoki is definitely a slender one. We have been dealing with 100 plus degree weather for the last couple of weeks so he may even be a little bit lighter than the 42 pounds he weighted in at three weeks ago.

Anoki is from Peyote X Rowdy. 

#12 Christine&Atticus

Christine&Atticus

• IIDOBA Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:We both love cooking, taking long walks, finding great deals at yard sales, jumping into the ocean; and most of all...our new pup!

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:44 AM

Chips is 48lbs and 2 years and 2 months old.  He is from Peyote & Cisco Kid's litter.  It was so funny, when I was looking at pictures of Anoki, I looked at my husband and said "he and Chips look so alike" ...and guess what?? They're half-brothers!  That's why this forum is so fun and this is a great poll!

Here are some photos of our little monkey....Looking forward to seeing more pups too!

Attached File  1.JPG   122.14K   25 downloads

Attached File  2.JPG   125.34K   29 downloads

Attached File  3.JPG   48.92K   36 downloads

Attached File  4.JPG   147.77K   36 downloads

Attached File  5.JPG   129.87K   28 downloads

#13 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• 854 posts
  • Interests:Hanging out at Song Dog Kennels and learning from Kim. I am a life long Chicago Cubs fan and a Chicago Bears fan. If I am not at Song Dog Kennel, you can catch me at Lake Selmac Bass fishing or on the Rogue River Steelhead and/or Salmon fishing.

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:18 PM

Yes, I definitely see it in picture #1 and #4.  It is good to see other pus from Peyote. I really love the picture of Chips running in the snow.

#14 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2351 posts
  • Interests:Wishing you Joy, Blessings and Wisdom

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:25 PM

Chips is very striking. Love the pictures.

#15 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7847 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

So you come in the house and say, "Hey, Mr. Chips!"  How fun.  Really nice photos.

Sitka is 5 years old. Sire: Jay Silver Heels  Dam: Shasta

He weighs in at 36.9lbs. 

He is a nimble fellow.

Coyo weighed just under 50, always nice and lean, and looked like the grey version of Tamarack.

One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#16 maria

maria

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:My AIDog Chhaya...herbs, gardening, the outdoors.

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:51 AM

Chhaya is from Nova x Hopi November 2009...she stays between 46-48 lbs....never had a dog to hold so steady on their weight...she looked a little thinner when she was younger...all muscle I think...wow I guess she will be 6 in a few months!

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

-Ancient Indian Proverb-

#17 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:Love spending time with my family. We do allot of camping, hiking and working on home improvement projects.<br /><br />Hawk is the most wonderful dog I could ever have. And I have had allot of dogs in my life.<br /><br />

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:56 PM

Okay, my Hawk is from Rouges Red Ryder and Sierra 10.5 years ago. He weighs between 40-41 lbs. for the past 9 plus years.
[font=Arial][size=3][color=#FF0000]

#18 oocahtah

oocahtah

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:04 PM

mooka is now 2.5yrs old and about 40-45lbs and 23 inc high and 28 from nose to behind,first one is him i think at 4 months just before we got him,second is a month ago giving his attude look,and for the life of me i cant remember is parent  i know his bday is dec 10 2013

Attached Files

#19 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:39 AM

Oocatah, wonder if it was Kona and Rowdy??? I don't know - just guessing.

WoW!  Mooka is gorgeous!  Love the spots around the muzzle!  :wub:

#20 Neo

Neo

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:35 AM

Our big boy Neo (Neon) weighs a whopping 60 lbs! He is very tall and muscular, and extremely chatty. His parents are Talker x Rowdy, and his sister is Ayita. He was born on September 6, 2013. We live in Brooklyn NY. Just yesterday, a little boy stopped me on the street and told me that he liked my giant wolf!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users